Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
no I had no idea it would be a thing Jfc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

There are people that think making fun of someone's av by calling them Barney is a legit slur. No I'm not joking and many people still agree with this.

So, I've heard a ton fo back-and-forth on this issue, but 99% of it was from people who don't post in FYAD. From what I understand it was a joke against 1 specific poster, who happened to be trans, but was also generally pretty insufferable, and that poster turned it into a claim that the joke was about all trans people?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

holy poo poo arf's on fire

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Snow Cone Capone posted:

So, I've heard a ton fo back-and-forth on this issue, but 99% of it was from people who don't post in FYAD. From what I understand it was a joke against 1 specific poster, who happened to be trans, and that poster turned it into a claim that the joke was about all trans people?

There is only one poster on the forums with an av that could be mistaken for a sexy barney, yes.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Literally A Person posted:

Wait. What actual nazis? Am I old or something? I'm feeling out of touch here, people.

Göring had some strong opinions about Undertale

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

Wait, how can a joke about a single person's AV be a slur??? You are only creating more questions.

i think the logic is that ppl wanted to make fun of cascade beta, a really bad poster with a huge persecution complex and a hunger to kill forums (and she successfully killed fyad for nearly a whole year, so honestly, props to her on that), for being trans, but they couldnt and theyd get banned for it, so they made fun of her avi instead, and bc of that, barney is just a slur for trans ppl

Syenite posted:

I think this is maybe a bad hill to die on given the fact that actual Nazis decided Barney was a pretty good slur.

its a great hill to fight on. nazis also think the ok sign and the funny pepe pictures are a good nazi codeword and gently caress me if im gonna let them force me out of posting poo poo like this.

id also appreciate you elaborating on this post. your post history here is to be vague and not actually be fully honest with what you mean

Syenite posted:

Really cool to see the people coming forward with how they've been mistreated for showing their rear end, and then you check their rap sheet and see their rear end in UHD 4k 60fps glory.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Wait. What actual nazis? Am I old or something? I'm feeling out of touch here, people.

There was a specific poster who had an avatar of Susie from Deltarune that was really aggressive and a lot of people didn't like her. Someone (Pick I guess) made a comment saying their avatar looked like Barney, because the character is a purple reptilian looking girl. So it became a joke in FYAD to refer to that poster as 'Barney'. The poster was also trans.

This was then/also/??? used by Kiwifarms, an offsite forum meant for harassing, stalking, and doxxing people, and is inhabited by self-proclaimed nazis, as a slur to refer to all transfolk.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
thanks for the reminder that i need to relearn aftereffects arfjason, i've been spending the last week trying to make premiere jump through hoops it shouldn't

CascadeBeta, who was one of the loudest, angriest and list-makingest voices during the Fall of FYAD (gently caress!!! OFF!!!) had an avatar of the purple dinosaur girl from Deltarune. From what I've been able to piece together, some people started calling her Barney because, well, purple dinosaur, and apparently it got picked up as a slang term for transfolk by some off-site, which was used as ammo that FYAD Was Entirely Populated By The Internet's Most Dangerous Criminals and needed to be jettisoned off into space.

If I got any of this wrong than that means I still have parts of my brain not filled by internet drama ephemera thank god, also please feel free to correct me.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Let's focus on what's really important, how smart and cool MOON SLAYER is. Can't believe that man doesn't have a red star! Did you know he's actually the little guy from the tiananmen square photo

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

HolePisser1982 posted:

jesus christ arf

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

lmfao

CascadeBeta, one of the ringleaders of the troubles, had an av of a purple dinosaur creature so FYAD called her “Barney,” and then it kind of spread to her whole clique. In possibly the most insane part of this whole 8-month-long drama they convinced people that it was a secret new slur for trans people, and not a dismissive way to refer to Purple Dinosaur Av goon

Edit: wow 1 million posts got made while I was typing this

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

There's been a bunch of goons who let slip/proudly proclaim that they post/read KF and tbh I don't think I've ever seen a pink forum resident among that illustrious crowd

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Syenite posted:

I think this is maybe a bad hill to die on given the fact that actual Nazis decided Barney was a pretty good slur.

Keep the home fires burning, Syenite.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Fucker posted:

i think the logic is that ppl wanted to make fun of cascade beta, a really bad poster with a huge persecution complex and a hunger to kill forums (and she successfully killed fyad for nearly a whole year, so honestly, props to her on that), for being trans, but they couldnt and theyd get banned for it, so they made fun of her avi instead, and bc of that, barney is just a slur for trans ppl

This is the most wrong thing I've ever seen. People were making fun of them because they were a complete rear end in a top hat idiot.

Boner Machine
Nov 4, 2007

Pick posted:

Let's focus on what's really important, how smart and cool MOON SLAYER is. Can't believe that man doesn't have a red star! Did you know he's actually the little guy from the tiananmen square photo
unfortunately he doesn't like the same star trek shows as i do which means i have no choice but to call him my enemy

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Syenite posted:

it was because it was upsetting people who labeled it a slur, so they adopted it, not because calling a purple dinosaur the wrong name is violence. the alt right has very poor judgement on that, as in all things.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Meat Wagon posted:

Trying to get bomb-making to fit into the tmnt theme song

Broken Brain Explosive Maker

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

You and me both. I still have no idea what "Barney" is supposed be a slur against. And why "actual Nazis" think it's cool.

I kept up with this thread, knew all the hip references, got all the jokes. But this. This has revealed me for the apparent fraud that I am.

EDIT: OK, I got it now. Christ this thread is moving at light speed.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Aug 25, 2020

bofa salesman
Nov 6, 2009

Name: Koala’s March
Pronouns: She/Her
Occupation: Forum moderator/Political activist/Geocities testimonials page

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

There is only one poster on the forums with an av that could be mistaken for a sexy barney, yes.

mistaken for??? please.

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

Syenite posted:

if you had to guess, what do you think are the chances that the people who accused me and my friends of having kiwifarms alt accounts to spread lies were actually doing that exact thing. I’m thinking like... 50% chance, minimum

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

This is the most wrong thing I've ever seen. People were making fun of them because they were a complete rear end in a top hat idiot.

im sure the kf dipshits were mostly making fun of her for being trans, and statistically, probably some users around here too, but yeah, that kind of logic is also why koalas march got away with getting donations going for her gaming laptop and anyone who complained was being racist.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
also arf's art is good and idiocracy is not a documentary

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
*koalas March looking up at her poster of ghandi that says "be the change you want to see in the world"* :hmmyes:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Pick posted:

multicultural alts?? Watch out idiots here comes navajo pick

*looks at avatar*

*looks at post*

but.........???????????????

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Tiler Kiwi posted:

mistaken for??? please.

Fair.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Snow Cone Capone posted:

There's been a bunch of goons who let slip/proudly proclaim that they post/read KF and tbh I don't think I've ever seen a pink forum resident among that illustrious crowd

Weren’t there some people on KF who tried to stir up trouble by saying they were FYAD user so-and-so and those posts were used as evidence that FYAD users posted on KF?

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

It was always hard for me to take cascadebeta seriously because I watched them have a meltdown about being told they were wrong about something in tekken in a goon discord and they used the exact same tone during the troubles lol

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

HolePisser1982 posted:

if you had to guess, what do you think are the chances that the people who accused me and my friends of having kiwifarms alt accounts to spread lies were actually doing that exact thing. I’m thinking like... 50% chance, minimum

Daikloktos posted:

There is no way to read my posting as manipulative and not straightforward criticism and direction to how I believe you might improve the situation. But like I said, I'm fine. It's the community at large you're letting down
This is the first I'm hearing of it - again, having read every word of Kiwifarms and QCS and PYF Sagas and FYAD and - but then, nobody can read everything, maybe I missed it. Maybe you're conflating and downplaying the seriousness of the allegations against you. Maybe you're the manipulative piece of poo poo and the only thing I'm accomplishing talking to you like you're not an actual sociopath is catharsis. It bothers me to have to think that about another person and you've caused me to have to spend the night finding the spiritual angle within myself not to actually hate you. I have to spend the night battling hate instead of growing my love. And I don't even know if you actually give a drat how much that hurts me. I don't know if you're being abusive or if this is all a complicated situation nobody wants to sit down and be honest about. It makes me want to leave the forum so I never have to deal with this kind of uncertainable hateful drama again.

Why didn't you PM your friends if you're so up on not having a public thing? gently caress you. I'm sorry I don't mean that. Yes I do. gently caress you. Namaste.
But please do not read any of my words as not validating this essential point as it related to your most-constructive path of action

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Syenite posted:

It has a very specific context and it's very clear when someone is in fact referring to that context and not whatever weird offsite poo poo you're talking about

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Soooo, I just got to kinda explain what was going on to my co-worker and his client. So smile SA! A very a cool person was laughing his rear end off at our online shenanigans.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

christmas boots posted:

Weren’t there some people on KF who tried to stir up trouble by saying they were FYAD user so-and-so and those posts were used as evidence that FYAD users posted on KF?

No idea but if true, this is a bigger indictment of how stupid goons can be than a lot of the other stuff that was happening around that time

bare bottom pancakes
Sep 3, 2015

Production: Complete

Pick posted:

multicultural alts?? Watch out idiots here comes navajo pick

*to the tune of WAP* Navajos in this thread! Navajos in this thread! Navajos in this thread!

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Solice Kirsk posted:

Soooo, I just got to kinda explain what was going on to my co-worker and his client. So smile SA! A very a cool person was laughing his rear end off at our online shenanigans.

get that cop out of here

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Crocoswine posted:

It was always hard for me to take cascadebeta seriously because I watched them have a meltdown about being told they were wrong about something in tekken in a goon discord and they used the exact same tone during the troubles lol
did they make a list of people who can do a rolling death cradle

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Remember third week January? lol

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Crocoswine posted:

Lmfao very good.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

just incredible that you saw this in your minds eye

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
In defense of the barney=slur notion, when fyad was initially closed and most of the regulars were banned or probed a bunch of weirdos decided that it was the perfect time to declare their hate for trans ppl and some of them picked up "barney" as a replacement for more obvious slurs.

Of course CB and their crew were quick to declare these people secret fyad alts and proof that it really was a forum full of transphobic nazis, even though the quickest look at post histories would show how ridiculous that idea was. After all what kind of a maniac would spend years with an alt accou... oh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FartRomancer.EXE
Jun 26, 2012