Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Conspiratiorist posted:

Eren intervened. The point of the scene is that in the future he saw he'd help the kid - but helping him would be hypocritical since he's going to kill them all, so what's the point?

So he tries to walk away, but he can't bring himself to do so. He compares himself to Reiner, a "half-assing piece of poo poo" for caring and getting involved despite having resolved himself to massacring them.

I've said it before, but I believe the theme here is that it's impossible to change the future Eren has seen - not because of some immutable order to the universe, but because every vision he's seen is a consequence of the decisions he's made leading up to them, and given the same circumstances he'll always make the same choices. It's just who he is.

It's the center of him comparing himself with Reiner, and his big speech to Falco.

It's not clear if anything else was possible. If he did nothing, he might still go along the same path. His only real choice was if he was going to be forced through this, or if he'd volunteer.

By volunteering, he keeps some measure of freedom, but also all of the guilt. Like Reiner, he's a real piece of poo poo. But by choosing to plunge in... he can see something beyond this Hell. And that's the only way he's able to keep moving forward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bigwinnie101
Jan 26, 2020
https://sapewloth.tumblr.com/post/177454314908/so-a-new-side-story-titled-tell-me-a-story

I'm gonna move things from this latest chapter to the side and bring something up I've been thinking for awhile. What if Historia's farm of Orphans is a Yaegerist stronghold?

Because there are a few of them that look like her kids grown up a bit and in the story above she says some stuff like she is building part of what would become Eren's backing in the young folk.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Some interesting observations from reddit:

https://old.reddit.com/r/ShingekiNoKyojin/comments/i5csnh/my_drawing_of_progenitor_titan_forming_muscle/

quote:

Season 1's ending 1 or 2 I don't remember which, shows Eren's titan suspended by tendons much like he is now, and him breaking free and breaking through a wall. The wall that was always in front of him, literally and figuratively, will he break through it?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Nah that's normal Eren being connected to his titan form in ED 2.

Minion of Freya
Jan 2, 2017
A wild thought occurred, Eren had to touch Historia a lot to conceive a child. That must have let let tap into his full titan power of future memory access. This poo poo could end like that one Nick Cage future sight movie. The tears from episode 1 was Eren crying during sex, because of course he does. It would be a really hacky way to go about it, but we haven't seen how it went down when Eren had to touch Historia for what I'm assuming was more than a couple seconds. Does it not matter because by that point there was nothing left for Eren to see?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
:yikes:

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
:catstare:

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Minion of Freya posted:

A wild thought occurred, Eren had to touch Historia a lot to conceive a child. That must have let let tap into his full titan power of future memory access. This poo poo could end like that one Nick Cage future sight movie. The tears from episode 1 was Eren crying during sex, because of course he does. It would be a really hacky way to go about it, but we haven't seen how it went down when Eren had to touch Historia for what I'm assuming was more than a couple seconds. Does it not matter because by that point there was nothing left for Eren to see?

Assuming you're making an actual theory rather than a dumb joke, that seems to be ignoring what's in front of us right now for a lot of unsupported assumptions.

Currently, Kid Eren is in paths seeing freedom, which probably means he'll go on to see some of the actual consequences of his actions, and maybe the deaths of some of his closest friends. That's going to be the dream he woke up from at the start of the series that made him cry. (Mikasa's odds of survival really depends if we lean harder on Kruger's words or Eren trying to get rid of the scarf).

No weird assumptions about Eren crying during sex required.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

as was posted a page or two ago, if this video is literally the ending

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbV3Yr3KCyg

Eren wakes up crying on page 1 because he sees what his future self will do

...also reminder that we don't know with 100% certainty that Eren is the father. It's only very likely

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I'm not exactly a regular reader, but that chapter was really disturbing. :stare:

E: I wonder why Ymir is keeping tabs on the situation? Either that, or the kid had a vision right before he got squished.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Aug 8, 2020

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

E: I wonder why Ymir is keeping tabs on the situation? Either that, or the kid had a vision right before he got squished. [/spoiler]

My current theory is that Ymir is using birds and possibly other animals as 'cameras' to show Eren future events. Se we think that the boy is seeing Ymir before dying but really what we are seeing is that Ymir is pointing one of her animal cameras at the boy to ensure that Eren sees him being trampled. Whether this is affirmation of the inescapable causality that is forcing everything to play out as it is or evidence that Ymir is manipulating things... idk

Bigwinnie101
Jan 26, 2020
So That Video from before got the lyrics Translated and Boy does it say some Wild poo poo. Did no one translate That Attack On Titan Song before or something?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrQ0zZArUV8

redsniper
Feb 15, 2012
Whatever happened with the story of the miner?
Was there wall material under the entire walled territory? We didn't see titans erupting out of the ground when the rumbling happened.
Is the entire island titans? It's plugging up the entrance to the hollow Earth. Everyone is trapped on the inside which is why the continents are mirrored. The whole Earth is the real walls.
I've been waiting on this Chekov's gun since S1. Isayama doesn't seem like the type to set something up and then just forget...

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

redsniper posted:

Was there wall material under the entire walled territory? We didn't see titans erupting out of the ground when the rumbling happened.
Is the entire island titans? It's plugging up the entrance to the hollow Earth. Everyone is trapped on the inside which is why the continents are mirrored. The whole Earth is the real walls.
I've been waiting on this Chekov's gun since S1. Isayama doesn't seem like the type to set something up and then just forget...

Interesting. I didint remember that at all

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
The story of the miner isn't really about providing any insight into the nature of the walls themselves, but into the fact that the secret police would disappear people for, pardon the pun, digging too deeply into it.

The walls are colossal so it makes sense their foundations would also go very deeply and broadly. Since they were made from titans hardening it'd even make sense if they spread out like roots past a certain point. Very good miner he might be, but this guy was clearly no engineer.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

redsniper posted:

It explains how millions of titans fit in a space supposedly only big enough for hundreds of thousands, at minimum. So that's handy.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Just binge read volume 125 to present and holy poo poo

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

redsniper posted:

Either the hardening went underground a bit or the colossals were originally going to be partly buried in the ground and it was changed.

EDIT: Even though it’s clear by now that they weren’t it’d make sense for them to be buried 10~ meters since the wall is only 50 meters tall but the colossal titan shifter is around 60.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Bilirubin posted:

Just binge read volume 125 to present and holy poo poo

When the main character's head gets blown off with a sniper rifle comes at the start and things only escalate from there, you know you're in for a good time.

It's pretty interesting to look up the reactions to the End exhibit when it first showed up. The rumbling getting this far was not seen as a very likely event.

Kritzkrieg Kop
Nov 4, 2009
What happened to Zeke? Did he blow up from Erenzilla?

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

We don't know yet.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
Zeke is either bound to Eren or he's limping around Paradis and will be dealt with in a similar way to Kenny. He might be an asset in the final battle, but he's so broken that I hardly see him as a threat anymore.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
Levi will survive the story to find Zeke and hook him up to a new and improved coprophagic torture chair.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
Zeke can't die until Connie and Levi get their respective revenges.

He's probably somewhere inside Eren's titan form. His last appearance was looking defeated in the background of one of the shots in the Paths Dimension during Eren's declaration.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

In It For The Tank posted:

Zeke can't die until Connie and Levi get their respective revenges.

He's probably somewhere inside Eren's titan form. His last appearance was looking defeated in the background of one of the shots in the Paths Dimension during Eren's declaration.

I mean, I think we haven't seen the last of him either, but Attack on Titan very rarely lets people get what they want.

And speaking of dead people! I was looking at old talk about Willy Tybur, and a lot of people seemed to think he's completely full of poo poo... but I'm inclined to think he really had done some good for Eldians in Marley.

It's not just the last act of his life, to be clear. It's more comparing flashbacks to the Marley arc. Within Zeke's lifetime, opinions seem to have shifted a bit. There's still a lot of people within Marley treating them as devils, but you also see Panzer Squad openly crushing on Pieck, and they don't seem to suffer for it, unlike Reiner's parents or Tom's wife and child. The gate guards are Gabi's friends, not monsters like Gross who treat Eldians as dogfood. And Zeke's opinion is actually valued in council meetings, to Colt's shock and satisfaction.

Looking at it that way, it's easier to understand Tybur's remark about how now the family isn't just sitting on its rear end. (And his guilt complex) If that much could improve in a decade, then it's pretty clear a lot of Eldian suffering is on his family's head for refusing to step in.

It also helps frame Gabi's delusional hopes. If things were so bad in the old days, and are still bad in other countries, then obviously it was the actions of the Warriors like her beloved war hero cousin that lifted Eldians, and if they can just prove they're good people more, then some day they'll have made up for their sins and things will be made right. (Meanwhile, the people who pay attention know how wrong she is. But there's enough to explain why she has those hopes in the first place.)

There's a lot of nice little touches in this manga, basically.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Chapter's out if you know where to look.
My boy Jean got robbed of his destiny twice in one chapter.
Isayama deadass killed Hange on their birthday.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

I avoided the direct spoilers but saw the intense reaction so I figured something major happened. I actually thought it was going to be worse than it actually was.

I'm surprised that it seems that Annie, Gabi, and Falco are now sitting out of the endgame. That''s two fewer shifters for the "Stop Eren" squad, and their position is already so precarious. It's not looking good.

Mikasa's look of disgust at sussing Annie and Armin killed me.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I avoided the direct spoilers but saw the intense reaction so I figured something major happened. I actually thought it was going to be worse than it actually was.

I'm surprised that it seems that Annie, Gabi, and Falco are now sitting out of the endgame. That''s two fewer shifters for the "Stop Eren" squad, and their position is already so precarious. It's not looking good.

Mikasa's look of disgust at sussing Annie and Armin killed me.

I feel like they might take a side trip to Liberio and end up fighting there. Maybe stopping what's left of Marley's military from wiping out innocent Eldians in retaliation. Hopefully Annie will be okay. I hope they're not setting Gabi up as the inheritor of the Female Titan.
Honestly, Floch's death was not nearly gruesome enough.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
Post the chapter

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

https://imgur.com/a/acihaAF

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

:smith:
aw man
Rip

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Beefstew posted:

I feel like they might take a side trip to Liberio and end up fighting there. Maybe stopping what's left of Marley's military from wiping out innocent Eldians in retaliation. Hopefully Annie will be okay.\

I'd be OK with this but I'm not sure if there's time left in the story for it.

Levi getting back on the horse

Mikasa scarf mystery

Hange keeps the eyepatch in the afterlife

Please let Armin and Annie live through the end

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I thought Levi had lost a few limbs but he only lost fingers and an eye?

Beefstew posted:

I feel like they might take a side trip to Liberio and end up fighting there. Maybe stopping what's left of Marley's military from wiping out innocent Eldians in retaliation. Hopefully Annie will be okay. I hope they're not setting Gabi up as the inheritor of the Female Titan.
Honestly, Floch's death was not nearly gruesome enough.

Huh? Liberio has been stomped already. That’s why Annie doesn’t care anymore.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

RatHat posted:

Huh? Liberio has been stomped already. That’s why Annie doesn’t care anymore.

I'm anticipating the reveal that either Eren directed the titans to circumvent it (in a show of solidarity for the other Eldians) or that at least some of the Liberio population managed to evacuate. It's awfully conspicuous that Liberio is only ever referenced as being trampled but never shown as such.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

DEDICATE YOUR HEARTS :rip:

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I'm anticipating the reveal that either Eren directed the titans to circumvent it (in a show of solidarity for the other Eldians) or that at least some of the Liberio population managed to evacuate. It's awfully conspicuous that Liberio is only ever referenced as being trampled but never shown as such.

Yeah, I figured the second one, and something to do with Annie's father. And while it's not totally necessary, we might also get a hint at who her real daddy might've been, but it might be a bit late for that. I remember some folks suspecting Kruger on that front.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Am I crazy in thinking hange had more screen time than anyone post timeskip? It seems weird to off her like this after all that.

Grimwall
Dec 11, 2006

Product of Schizophrenia
MUCH better translation: https://sekaiscan.tk/attack-on-titan/132/

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
There's a heaven for a 'ge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007