Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Anyone else have more fun with that awful ps2 quidditch world cup game back in the day than with most potter poo poo

for this snipe, everyone should know that a teenaged Edgar owned and wore a shirt with this on it a lot

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Aug 24, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Big Dick Cheney posted:

I think after a year at Hogwarts most kids would be bored with it again

yeah, like also i feel like the magical would just be mundane to most of them too. "look jerry used a spell to make my rear end in a top hat try to me from the inside and scream slurs at me, better go to the nurse AGAIN".

Sydin posted:

Harry's gimmick is that while he's not a super genius wizard or anything, he's reasonably talented and can generally get good results at whatever he bothers putting his mind to. It's just that the list of things he puts his mind to is pretty short because he's lazy and entitled. I do like how at the end of Goblet when the main villain reveals himself, he just absolutely lays into Harry for being a layabout who took zero initiative to prepare for any of the tournament challenges, and so the guy had to bend over backwards to feed him helpful hints.

the only reason he wins at the end is because he gets lucky because the wizard nazi was dumb poo poo and hosed himself and the ugly joke kid rolled a bunch a 20s in a row.

Zore posted:

I also love that Harry and Ron choose to do blow off classes for their electives explicitly yet neither chooses to do Muggle Studies. You know despite Harry growing up as a muggle and Ron being inundated in all the muggle poo poo from his dad.

i like to think muggle studdies is just gilded age style anthropology type bullshit where they think every muggle is moron and the professor is some wizard who inject magic cocain and is basicaly rons dad but dumber.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The professor getting increasingly irate the class keeps using the N*-*** word they learned from all the american wizard rappers

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I don't know if it's been confirmed or not but I bet anything the Muggle Studies teacher isn't Muggle-born and is Hilariously Incorrect about everything muggle related

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
The chamber of secrets game was dope, and if that characterization is to be believed harry is the most powerful wizard because he was forced to undergo dangerous trials in order to learn spells, when his classmates just read about them in books while he was doing that.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 247 days!

FunkyAl posted:

Or else Voldemort was

i mean, it's explicitly a theme that harry isn't very different than voldemort

because the thesis of the books is essentially that systematic reform is accomplished by putting "good people" in charge, with the distinction between good and evil ultimately coming down to free will

e: like it's been awhile but my reading of the house elf thing was that ron and harry are sort of poo poo and that hermione was comicly inept partly to soften the fact that she's completely correct and the boys are being hypocritical. but by the end it was clear that symbolic progress with an indefinite timeline for actual justice was also the only outcome rowling cared about as long as people agree to be good masters to their slaves and promise to free them (evidently with the coming of the messiah or something)

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Aug 24, 2020

Wanted By Weed
Aug 14, 2005

Toilet Rascal
So, does anyone here listen to the Shrieking Shack? They're an amusing if not awkward little podcast about the sorts of things you guys are discussing, and I think one or both of them reads the forums because every once in a while I'll hear a forum joke relevant to the subject matter. Some of the talking points being discussed remind me of similar discussions had by the two hosts. I read only six of the seven books, but listening to the podcast has basically made me realize that I probably should have stopped at book 4 or 5. There's just nothing good about DH, and 6 wasn't very good either.

Wanted By Weed
Aug 14, 2005

Toilet Rascal
also, lol that Harry Potter and the Sacred Texts is a real thing. People really are out here trying to convince other people that Harry Potter is a solid foundation for a religion.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I started hating them at book 3 and still got them gifted despite protesting I did not want them. My parents would quiz me on them to prove I had read them. Then they bought them in spanish and made me read those.

My loathing of Harry Potter is deep, friends, deep and wide

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
I'm loving the shrieking shack podcast, they're great.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Wanted By Weed posted:

So, does anyone here listen to the Shrieking Shack? They're an amusing if not awkward little podcast about the sorts of things you guys are discussing, and I think one or both of them reads the forums because every once in a while I'll hear a forum joke relevant to the subject matter. Some of the talking points being discussed remind me of similar discussions had by the two hosts. I read only six of the seven books, but listening to the podcast has basically made me realize that I probably should have stopped at book 4 or 5. There's just nothing good about DH, and 6 wasn't very good either.

Currently one of my two favorite podcasts. Honestly, what makes it for me is the diversions into weird fandom stuff with the large dead fandom. Them just lovingly reading a bunch of the fan entries into a fan contest to write the ending to Book 7 before it came out was a real recent hilight of them, with them just being entirely unironically into the fan's passion (if not skill) especially compared to canon.

"Hermione became Ron's wife, and Snape became Harry's father." Either that, or the one that ends with Snape double-crossing Voldemort then telling Harry to get the hell out of his house.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Lego Harry Potter was the best Lego video game

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Hodgepodge posted:

i mean, it's explicitly a theme that harry isn't very different than voldemort

because the thesis of the books is essentially that systematic reform is accomplished by putting "good people" in charge, with the distinction between good and evil ultimately coming down to free will

e: like it's been awhile but my reading of the house elf thing was that ron and harry are sort of poo poo and that hermione was comicly inept partly to soften the fact that she's completely correct and the boys are being hypocritical. but by the end it was clear that symbolic progress with an indefinite timeline for actual justice was also the only outcome rowling cared about as long as people agree to be good masters to their slaves and promise to free them (evidently with the coming of the messiah or something)

Free will is a some of it but I would say what actually ends up making a difference is that harry has people looking out for him. It took a village to respectively gently caress up voldemort and redeem harry

e: and money. Harry has money too, and voldemort is piggybacking off bellatrix's bank account

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Did he have any particular motivation for killing people with a snake at school?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The unfortunate implication with Voldy is that he seems to have been evil from the start, or at least a sociopath with zero empathy. He's introduced as a bully who uses his powers to terrorize others for seemingly no reason, he unleashes the Basilisk on his fellow students, and creates a clique of wizard nazis - seemingly not for their company - but rather as an extension of his own power and authority. It's also a plot point in Book 6 that he was very good at manipulating people and faking emotions, so he was also very popular but again seemed to take no pleasure in company, but rather the tangible things he could get from people.

I never really got the sense that anything "made" him evil, he was just evil from the start and the worst you could say about those around him in power is that they didn't seem to recognize this and try to do anything about it.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

SlothfulCobra posted:

Did he have any particular motivation for killing people with a snake at school?

He did that specifically to create his first Horcrux, Myrtle's death was what let him make the Diary.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Sydin posted:

The unfortunate implication with Voldy is that he seems to have been evil from the start, or at least a sociopath with zero empathy. He's introduced as a bully who uses his powers to terrorize others for seemingly no reason, he unleashes the Basilisk on his fellow students, and creates a clique of wizard nazis - seemingly not for their company - but rather as an extension of his own power and authority. It's also a plot point in Book 6 that he was very good at manipulating people and faking emotions, so he was also very popular but again seemed to take no pleasure in company, but rather the tangible things he could get from people.

I never really got the sense that anything "made" him evil, he was just evil from the start and the worst you could say about those around him in power is that they didn't seem to recognize this and try to do anything about it.

Dumbledore set a dresser on fire, which may not have helped

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Sydin posted:

Voldemort is basically portrayed as exactly the opposite of Harry while in school (and wildly different from his whole 'imma idiot snek man' persona post-resurrection).

He's handsome, incredibly smart, popular and hardworking. The only two people who ever seem to have negative memories about him at school are Dumbledore, who feels weird from their first interactions, and Slughorn who told him about some dark and secret magic after a lot of buttering up. Literally no one else in the series has a negative thing to say about Tom Riddle because he was supposedly so charming and able to manipulate people.

Compare that to Harry who spends a huge chunk of the series as an angry loner and multi-year school pariah and can't even manage to go a full year without one of his two closest friends telling him to gently caress off for months. Harry's also only an average student at best and got a lot of negative attention and scrutiny.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Wanted By Weed posted:

also, lol that Harry Potter and the Sacred Texts is a real thing. People really are out here trying to convince other people that Harry Potter is a solid foundation for a religion.

wtf

quote:

No. of episodes: 202 (as of June 21, 2020)
No. of seasons: 7
Related shows: Women of Harry Potter and the Sacred Text
Original release: May 19, 2016 – present
Updates: Weekly

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
It's canon that Voldemort is evil because he was a rape baby. Just another fun fact from JK

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Voldemort had a chip on his shoulder and the talent to do something about it (Rowling's Twitter nonwithstanding). Harry, it turns out, was only ever important because he had Voldemort's soul in him, and was otherwise an above average wizard who was good at flying.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Imagine how much better the Neville series would have been

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Imagine how much better the Neville series would have been

I love how when Harry finally goes to Hogwarts to get the Diadem, Neville's reaction ranges from "gently caress yeah! You're back so we can have a last stand and take down Voldemort and Snape! :black101:", "Wait...you're just getting an item and then loving off again? :confused:" and "Enough with that lone hero bullshit! We're Dumbledore's Army and we're all in this together! :argh:"

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Neville's actor in the movies managed to sell that perfectly.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Neville also doesn't grow up to be a cop.

Wait; he becomes an Auror then becomes a professor of Herbology? gently caress, I guess AGAB

Barudak fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Aug 26, 2020

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Barudak posted:

Neville also doesn't grow up to be a cop.

Wait; he becomes an Auror then becomes a professor of Herbology? gently caress, I guess AGAB

Yeah he and Ron both become wizard cops for like 5 years then go on to do actually useful things. Meanwhile Harry dedicates his life to becoming head cop and a terrible father

Cursed Child is some wild poo poo

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I get that part of the POINT of The Department of Mysteries section is to make you go,
"Huh...the gently caress was that weird thing all about?"

But seriously, what the gently caress was that door in the auditorium? Like...I suppose it's some sort of "portal to the afterlife" or something? Sirius goes in and...that's it. He's some variety of dead. Why does that thing exist? And why is it just standing there, waiting for someone to fall in, protected by a loving bedsheet?

At least prop it up against a wall so a loving janitor doesn't accidentally fall in!

Edit: And brains in jars? Gross.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
The ministry just occasionally pushes people through. For science.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
The ministry of magic is a series of hallways half of which are labeled "Capital Punishment" and the other half are labeled "Time Travel"

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Like a lot of things it was pretty cool at the time to basically have a firefight in the magic equivalent of the SCP Foundation.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The horrifying things that exist as a consequence of living in a magical world are all shoved into little rooms where they can hopefully be ignored.

Maybe they're more widely known about, and that's why the wizarding world is full of weird useless goofballs, because that's the only way to cope with the horrors.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Hell, given Voldemort was basically in control of the Ministry in the last book, shoulda have him unleash some horrific superweapons from the vaults. Though that does feel almost cliched for a fantasy series, it way beats having him beaten by technicality.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
The weird doorway was standing in the middle of an auditorium just off the main hallway. It was almost certainly for public executions, probably hadn't been used since the 1800s, and likely couldn't be moved.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

DrBouvenstein posted:

I get that part of the POINT of The Department of Mysteries section is to make you go,

But seriously, what the gently caress was that door in the auditorium? Like...I suppose it's some sort of "portal to the afterlife" or something? Sirius goes in and...that's it. He's some variety of dead. Why does that thing exist? And why is it just standing there, waiting for someone to fall in, protected by a loving bedsheet?

At least prop it up against a wall so a loving janitor doesn't accidentally fall in!

Edit: And brains in jars? Gross.

All of life....is a stage

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

DrBouvenstein posted:

The Department of Mysteries is the shorthand way of telling you "Hey, even wizards can't figure out WTF is up with spacetime and consciousness, love and death." I don't think the Death room is an execution chamber - we've already seen that they have a way to kill your soul and leave your body alive, among many more cruel and unusual methods of punishment - but instead it's the room where a bunch of powerful wizards managed to conjure a door to the afterlife, but they still couldn't make it a two-way trip.

In my mind, once or twice a decade the wizard equivalent of some hotshot young postdoc thinks they've got the solution on how to speak to someone on the other side, or to make a return trip. An audience of scholars and kooks comes in and watches this idiot cast an elaborate spell, or brew and drink a potion, before walking confidently through the portal; they wait for an hour or so, people occasionally shuffling out of the auditorium unceremoniously, until somebody says "Well...now we know another thing that doesn't work. Still, you've got to admire their courage."

Also this is my regular rant about how badly David Yates botched the last few films, and it started with 1) completely ignoring the Department of Mysteries stuff that was practically written as "Here is a series of cool action/SFX setpieces for the third act of the movie" and 2) changing Sirius' death. Getting hit with a non-lethal spell and being sucked in by the veil when he stumbles against it is what gave that scene punch, his body disappearing through it when he's already extremely dead is just dull. To say nothing of how Yates changed Avada Kedavra from "blinding green light, a terrible rushing noise, and immediate rigor mortis" to "Gary Oldman acts like he has heartburn and needs to sit down for a minute, taking time to give Harry a meaningful look."

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Yeah, the thing that gives Adava Kedavra punch (and makes it a properly morbid joke) is that it's literally a Goldeneye 64 Golden Gun one-hit-kill, no ifs no buts. And Voldemort can throw them at a whim even at his weakest. It can't be blocked, you can only parry or dodge it, and that Harry Potter survived it as an infant is literally the reason he's famous as The Boy Who Lived, because Voldemort was basically the Grim Reaper as far as they were concerned.

One thing reminds me of Dresden Files in that it's an interesting feature of an otherwise average at best series; to do magic you have to believe in it, which isn't typically a problem for levitation or whatever but has some significance when you're using it to flat out kill people.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I started listening to the shrieking shack podcast and like one of the hosts I too totally forgot that the prologue focused on Vernon being appalled at all the weirdos wandering around in robes. Now that I’ve soured so much on Potter I want more of that.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Yeah, the thing that gives Adava Kedavra punch (and makes it a properly morbid joke) is that it's literally a Goldeneye 64 Golden Gun one-hit-kill, no ifs no buts. And Voldemort can throw them at a whim even at his weakest. It can't be blocked, you can only parry or dodge it, and that Harry Potter survived it as an infant is literally the reason he's famous as The Boy Who Lived, because Voldemort was basically the Grim Reaper as far as they were concerned.

One thing reminds me of Dresden Files in that it's an interesting feature of an otherwise average at best series; to do magic you have to believe in it, which isn't typically a problem for levitation or whatever but has some significance when you're using it to flat out kill people.

I never got the whole "cannot be blocked" thing. Presumably they just mean "cannot be blocked by magic", because during their brief duel I distinctly recall Dumbledore "blocking" avada kedavra by animating a giant stone statue to jump between him and the spell, which presumably means the spell cannot pass through suitably sturdy physical objects? Would Voldy be powerless vs a group of muggle policemen with riot shields, or firing from behind an armored car? How slow does the spell even travel that Dumbledore had time to throw a statue between him and it?

I kinda like to think that Voldemort actually sucks and is just a big fish in a small pond who could easily be defeated with like, a few minutes of critical thinking.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I can't recall... Was it ever commented on by Harry or Hermione (or any other Muggle-born) that the standard Muggle "Magic Words" used by children and stage magicians is basically the same as the killing curse? Cause I feel like that's weird.

Ron: Wait...muggle kids just shout the killing curse out loud? For fun?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Sydin posted:

I never got the whole "cannot be blocked" thing. Presumably they just mean "cannot be blocked by magic", because during their brief duel I distinctly recall Dumbledore "blocking" avada kedavra by animating a giant stone statue to jump between him and the spell, which presumably means the spell cannot pass through suitably sturdy physical objects? Would Voldy be powerless vs a group of muggle policemen with riot shields, or firing from behind an armored car? How slow does the spell even travel that Dumbledore had time to throw a statue between him and it?

I kinda like to think that Voldemort actually sucks and is just a big fish in a small pond who could easily be defeated with like, a few minutes of critical thinking.

Back in the day, joking about taking out Voldemort with modern military tech started by like, third grade.