Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

FilthyImp posted:

Nah, people just love Dolly because she's a big personality and very genuine and caring. Like part of her philosophy behind Dollywood was giving people great-rear end food like she used to eat at home . There's like whole buffet meals that coat $20.

Add to the fact that she's always been outspoken and unapologetic about who she is, along with a very full-throated support for BLM recently, and talking poo poo about her is about a good idea as dissing the Virgin Mary in Mexico City.

She also grew up dirt poor and hustled her rear end off to build her career.

She has a literacy program that sends a free book a month to children and it gave out its 100 millionth book two years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Timeless Appeal posted:

And regardless the sentiment "But they're doing hard and awful work so that means they're not actually happy" is discounting historical sentiments about Black Labor that we can point to multiple examples of throughout history but are clearly alive in multiple Disney films.

Saying "this specific scene in Dumbo depicts the laborers as miserable, and not happy" is not discounting historical sentiments about Black Labor.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Caught between two worlds...

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

FunkyAl posted:

Disgruntled goat had his moments.

Funny thing is that the plagiarism episode and Itchy and Scratchyland introduce two completely separate extended casts for Itchy and Scratchy... and it's the more recent one that had Ku Klux Klam. And Poochie was also made independently.

While obviously the writers aren't particularly interested in the history of a show within a show (within a show, given it's presented as a segment of the Krusty the Clown show) that famously doesn't bother with consistency, I like to think it reflects how carelessly the property is handled that they keep re-inventing the wheel with poorly thought out secondary characters rather than looking to their history for ideas they can repurpose. Reminds me of Sonic the Hedgehog, actually.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Ernest and Celestine is free on Prime for prime members right now. Go watch it if you haven’t seen it yet. It’s adorable.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Funny thing is that the plagiarism episode and Itchy and Scratchyland introduce two completely separate extended casts for Itchy and Scratchy... and it's the more recent one that had Ku Klux Klam. And Poochie was also made independently.

While obviously the writers aren't particularly interested in the history of a show within a show (within a show, given it's presented as a segment of the Krusty the Clown show) that famously doesn't bother with consistency, I like to think it reflects how carelessly the property is handled that they keep re-inventing the wheel with poorly thought out secondary characters rather than looking to their history for ideas they can repurpose. Reminds me of Sonic the Hedgehog, actually.

I must give Ducktales 2017 credit for how it re-contextualizes existing characers. Boring characters (Mrs Beakley, Webby), racist caricatures (Bombie, Dijon), and Cousin Olivers (Gizmoduck, Bubba) are all given more attention to make them interesting and cohesive with the rest of the show. They did a great episode about gritty reboots with an obvious Christoper Nolan parody:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dF1G---ksQg

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

ConfusedUs posted:

Ernest and Celestine is free on Prime for prime members right now. Go watch it if you haven’t seen it yet. It’s adorable.

Such a gorgeous movie. The watercolor section when they are enjoying the summer in the woods is just delightful.

If you have not seen it yet, it is highly recommended. Forest Whitaker is a great grumpy bear as well.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I must give Ducktales 2017 credit for how it re-contextualizes existing characers. Boring characters (Mrs Beakley, Webby), racist caricatures (Bombie, Dijon), and Cousin Olivers (Gizmoduck, Bubba) are all given more attention to make them interesting and cohesive with the rest of the show. They did a great episode about gritty reboots with an obvious Christoper Nolan parody:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dF1G---ksQg

Did we get/are we getting a third season? Any word on if/when it will hit Disney+?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

paradoxGentleman posted:

I feel like even if I was making an ironic song, I wouldn't put in such directly self-insulting lyrics like "We never learned to read or write", even if it was true, and especially not "We don't know when we get our pay, and when we do we blow our pay away"

Have you ever heard a blues song?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

ConfusedUs posted:

Did we get/are we getting a third season? Any word on if/when it will hit Disney+?

Third season already started, first seven episodes aired back in the spring, next episode is coming September 21st.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Third season already started, first seven episodes aired back in the spring, next episode is coming September 21st.

The whole block release thing some cartoons are doing now is some nonsense.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Ducktales actually got hosed up by Covid.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Sonic Boom was really good though. My son recently finished the first season on Netflix so I caught a lot of episodes. Funny stuff, even if I'm not a fan of dumb Knuckles because I'm old. (despite the best lines being his)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Darth TNT posted:

Sonic Boom was really good though. My son recently finished the first season on Netflix so I caught a lot of episodes. Funny stuff, even if I'm not a fan of dumb Knuckles because I'm old. (despite the best lines being his)

The key thing is that everything good or even just remotely acceptable about Sonic is made by people other than Sonic Team.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Darth TNT posted:

The Sonic Boom cartoon was arguably the best thing to come out of that particular sub-series in my opinion (also Knuckles and Eggman are the best parts of the show). A pity it seems to be effectively dead now and likely will never see a third season.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Eggman/Robotnik is always the best part of any Sonic media.

Jim Carrey may not have done the physical resemblance at first, but the actual personality absolutely nailed it. Reminds me a bit of Dr Sivana in Shazam; sometimes you just need to do a full on mustache-twirling old school supervillain and it works.

Also I almost typed Drew Carey, and his Dr Robotnik is another thing to think about.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Eggman/Robotnik is always the best part of any Sonic media.

Jim Carrey may not have done the physical resemblance at first, but the actual personality absolutely nailed it. Reminds me a bit of Dr Sivana in Shazam; sometimes you just need to do a full on mustache-twirling old school supervillain and it works.

Also I almost typed Drew Carey, and his Dr Robotnik is another thing to think about.

Indeed he is. The only exception I can think of is Sonic Underground as I felt Gary Chalk’s performance was a bit too much like a generic villain (though to be fair, nearly everything about that show was bad).

Related, I’ve always kind of been curious. Why exactly did they change Robotnik’s design for the three western cartoons as opposed to just sticking with the version from the Genesis games?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Aug 21, 2020

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

Larryb posted:

The Sonic Boom cartoon was arguably the best thing to come out of that particular sub-series in my opinion (also Knuckles and Eggman are the best parts of the show). A pity it seems to be effectively dead now and likely will never see a third season.

You can probably blame the game/s for that.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

"This game costs 60 dollars" is a powerful sentence.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Larryb posted:

Indeed he is. The only exception I can think of is Sonic Underground as I felt Gary Chalk’s performance was a bit too much like a generic villain (though to be fair, nearly everything about that show was bad).

Related, I’ve always kind of been curious. Why exactly did they change Robotnik’s design for the three western cartoons as opposed to just sticking with the version from the Genesis games?

The same reason video game adaptations tend to change a bunch of poo poo for no apparent reason, I assume.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

this one is called "love"

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001
Wushan of the Five Elements is a new animation from a tiny 4 person team out of China. They just dropped the first 3 episodes of a planned 8 episode mini series.

The art style is unique and the fight animation is amazing, weighty and visceral.

Available subbed on YouTube.

https://youtu.be/OQq5zYcsvU0

Megera
Sep 9, 2008

holy poo poo, i am in LOVE with that brush painting opening title sequence

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

GlassEye-Boy posted:

Wushan of the Five Elements is a new animation from a tiny 4 person team out of China. They just dropped the first 3 episodes of a planned 8 episode mini series.

The art style is unique and the fight animation is amazing, weighty and visceral.

Available subbed on YouTube.

https://youtu.be/OQq5zYcsvU0

This video is not available because of a copyright claim :/

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

The_Doctor posted:

This video is not available because of a copyright claim :/

Here is another one. Not sure if it will last.

https://youtu.be/BqJ8MoMLP9A

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Welp, looks like the creators/crew of She-Ra outed themselves as homophobic racists during a livestream they were on.

Context:
https://twitter.com/InspectorNerd/status/1298822887625826306

They're trending on twitter.

:negative:

[edit] Noelle Stevenson's twitter is on full damage control. :rip:

teagone fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Aug 27, 2020

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Cant speak to the other stuff but with even cursory digging I found out that the “homophobic” sin committed was someone who’s not even part of the She-Ra crew, but who was on the stream, name dropped his lesbian friend’s podcast, the title of which has a slur against lesbians in it (but the word is obvs being reclaimed in the name of a pro-lesbian podcast)

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
He even said that he got permission from the lesbian who made the podcast to promote it by saying the name of the podcast

I mean come on

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Hedrigall posted:

He even said that he got permission from the lesbian who made the podcast to promote it by saying the name of the podcast

I mean come on

It's 2020 gay people are problematic.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Ruh roh

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Hedrigall posted:

Cant speak to the other stuff

Zero excuse for Noelle though. Completely tone-deaf of her to make indulge a tasteless joke about slavery in the current sociopolitical climate.

[edit] Reading more, it was apparently said when they (the crew and Noelle) were talking over portrait sketches of Bow's brothers. The joke being all Bow's brothers name rhymes with his, and one of them said "you know which of his brothers works in the fields? Sow." Prompting laughs I guess. Yikes.

[edit 2] This twitter thread seems the most complete wrt context:

https://twitter.com/yemiaaaaa/status/1298861205445058560

teagone fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Aug 27, 2020

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Even "a male staff member said the d slur in reference to a fellow staff members podcast" feels kinda intentionally misleading, the podcast is literally named Desperate Housedykes.

edit: I don't mean to be rude but it looks like you fell for twitter drama hook line and sinker.

mycot fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Aug 27, 2020

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Yeah it's a bunch of mildly questionable things being taken out of context to stir up drama. Like guy probably should have made sure the crew were cool with him saying it before dropping the podcast's name but its not like he can't say it if he wants to promote it. 'desperate house-dwords' is a weird line of logic for someone to have to suss out just to google a podcast.

And the farmer joke was kinda rough but you can obviously see how it happened with the context of the rhyming names joke. What rhymes with bow? Sow? Farmer. It's clearly not any kind of joke thats actually based on his race, they just didn't think about implications.

Apologize for it, sure, and tbh it's strange that a livestream about a chidlren's cartoon would reference a podcast called 'Desperate Housedykes,' but I don't think it's any indication anyone involved is a bad person or anything. 'Outing themselves as homophobic racists' is a ludicrous take in this context.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Aug 27, 2020

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

teagone posted:

Zero excuse for Noelle though. Completely tone-deaf of her to make indulge a tasteless joke about slavery in the current sociopolitical climate.

[edit] Reading more, it was apparently said when they (the crew and Noelle) were talking over portrait sketches of Bow's brothers. The joke being all Bow's brothers name rhymes with his, and one of them said "you know which of his brothers works in the fields? Sow." Prompting laughs I guess. Yikes.

If you don't mind, I'm going to call you out on your post. You first note that it's tonedeaf to make a tasteless joke, but after that you edit in that you read more on it with detail on what was said. This makes it seem like you were determined to be offended without even knowing what happened.

And honestly, the joke is ridiculous.
There's a guy who's name is bow and he wields a bow. Making a joke about how he has a brother named sow who works on the field is just a good joke. Had he been white everyone would've laughed their asses off. But because black you can't say that? Maybe we can't name Bow bow either, because who knows how many black slaves used to work in Bowyery for their rich owners.

It's not a joke made in bad faith, in the current climate it's possibly in bad taste but even then, this doesn't come across as racist at all.

We should be careful not to label every joke immediately as racist as before you know, you can't say anything.

Endorph posted:

Yeah it's a bunch of mildly questionable things being taken out of context to stir up drama. Like guy probably should have made sure the crew were cool with him saying it before dropping the podcast's name but its not like he can't say it if he wants to promote it. 'desperate house-dwords' is a weird line of logic for someone to have to suss out just to google a podcast.

And the farmer joke was kinda rough but you can obviously see how it happened with the context of the rhyming names joke. What rhymes with bow? Sow? Farmer. It's clearly not any kind of joke thats actually based on his race, they just didn't think about implications.

Apologize for it, sure, and tbh it's strange that a livestream about a chidlren's cartoon would reference a podcast called 'Desperate Housedykes,' but I don't think it's any indication anyone involved is a bad person or anything. 'Outing themselves as homophobic racists' is a ludicrous take in this context.

I very much agree with this.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

mycot posted:

edit: I don't mean to be rude but it looks like you fell for twitter drama hook line and sinker.

Looks like it, my bad. [edit] I read more about it this morning, and seems like there was a bunch of misinformation being spread. :rip: me. Apparently the "ableist" comment was read off from an email from a fan with a disability

Darth TNT posted:

If you don't mind, I'm going to call you out on your post. You first note that it's tonedeaf to make a tasteless joke, but after that you edit in that you read more on it with detail on what was said. This makes it seem like you were determined to be offended without even knowing what happened.

I got forwarded a barrage of tweets from a friend of mine about what was happening last night since we're currently watching She-Ra together and enjoying it. She seemed pretty upset while we were discussing, so I had immediately assumed it was some serious poo poo after going over the stuff she forwarded my way. So, yes, I was already 100% offended/upset based on my friends initial reaction and going over what I saw and then relayed that info here. Not blaming her for any misinformation, because I don't want to speak on her behalf on how she feels about the whole thing. I only edited in my additional thoughts after wading through the trending twitter topic and finding that string of tweets I linked above that provided me a bit more context afterward. I'm not going to edit out what I said because I'll cop to absolutely posting in knee-jerk fashion.

[edit 2] I also finally found a twitter thread that has footage of the jokes:

https://twitter.com/i/status/1298827799520849920
And yeah, from all the stuff I read beforehand, they made it sound like everything seemed way worse. loving twitter.

[edit 3]

Darth TNT posted:

And honestly, the joke is ridiculous.
There's a guy who's name is bow and he wields a bow. Making a joke about how he has a brother named sow who works on the field is just a good joke. Had he been white everyone would've laughed their asses off. But because black you can't say that? Maybe we can't name Bow bow either, because who knows how many black slaves used to work in Bowyery for their rich owners.

This one though, after watching the clip, still is a rough go and I can 100% empathize with how a comment made in jest like that could be upsetting to a lot of fans. But Noelle apologized so :shrug:

teagone fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Aug 27, 2020

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Why couldn’t Bow’s brother just be a tailor?

Seriously, though, I don’t have any idea where to come down on this. It seems like a huge overreaction based on misinformation or misunderstanding, but I’m a cis-het white guy bordering on middle age, so I kind of feel like it’s my place to defer to the feelings of those more directly impacted by this. This whole thing just seems like a quagmire.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It's a huge overreaction, but it is also an overreaction that was likely to occur in the context of a show that had nothing else going for it.

The Unholy Ghost
Feb 19, 2011

teagone posted:

So, yes, I was already 100% offended/upset based on my friends initial reaction and going over what I saw and then relayed that info here.

I wonder how much evil in the world happens because of stuff like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I'm not perfect or a saint, but I'm not an evil person.