Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Defiance Industries posted:

Stuff like helis and hovers get a really loving big bonus to their engine output for free, and XL engines are not only legal for vehicles, they're much better in vees than they are in mechs. The mobility kill thing, yeah. And the heat thing, yes, except that only energy weapons generate heat for vehicles so you should really be boating those.

By hovercraft aren't allowed to have lightweight engines, I mean the "hovercraft must be >=20% engine" rule. If you have a hovercraft with 20% tonnage spent on a internal combustion engine, you can swap it to a higher output fusion engine of the same size and go faster, but you aren't allowed to swap it to a lighter weight, same output fusion engine and use the tonnage for other things. Plus vehicle engines just cost 150% of the weight for the same output engine in a mech.

It's an arbitrary thing with no fluff justification, but keeps the game focused where the designers want it to be instead of veering off into pesky realism.

Foxfire_ fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Aug 26, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Honestly noble with mech and his men-at-arms, also in mechs, plus a bunch of paramilitary police with small arms to lightly oppress the populace who doesn't care all that much about who they pay the taxes to anyway basically works for me. But we kinda advanced past that with the Davion-Capella-war, where you have large-scale warfare and ethnic nationalism and now yeah you need to properly occupy places.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Actually might be interesting to play on the transition from feudal kingdoms and vassalage to proper nation-states.

SavageGentleman
Feb 28, 2010

When she finds love may it always stay true.
This I beg for the second wish I made too.

Fallen Rib

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Actually might be interesting to play on the transition from feudal kingdoms and vassalage to proper nation-states.

30 Years War with Mechas?

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Good god does battletech just need a general reboot

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Lawman 0 posted:

DARK and GRITTY Battletech with no humor or beliefs. A cynical Battletech that says swears. Battletech by Benioff and Weiss.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Might make sense to go for more of a soft reboot that goes through the same stuff but sands off the edges and tries to make things more cohesive. I mean hell, 40k basically does that, kinda.

Now I'm picturing a Battletech version of The Great Pendragon Campaign.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Tulip posted:

DARK and GRITTY Battletech with no humor or beliefs. A cynical Battletech that says swears. Battletech by Benioff and Weiss.

Noooooo.
Just something to smooth out all the jank and weird 80s cultural artifacts

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Battletech is fine and good, and the only problem it has is that nobody is making content at the good end of the timeline (i.e. post Clan Invasion) any more.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

gently caress, I made the Pendragon comparison mostly as a joke but that might work, build the game around various eras of combat with different armaments allowed, escalating through the years, and even maybe a framing device of players playing a family and/or legacy of pilots.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

galagazombie posted:

Ironically it's the trippy psychedelic mecha that feel the most realistic. You'll never be able to come up with a physics based reason for your weapon to be human shaped. So instead the justification for why we have a robot instead of a tank is "By embodying the platonic human form the robot is powered by the collective human spirit". The answer to why we gave our robot a giant sword instead of a gun is "The ancient blade of Lusitania channels the power of the Arkenstone left behind by the Martian Ancients to cut a path to a brighter future." It may be nonsense but it makes inartistically more sense all the same.

In Battletech the answer for "why legs" ranges from "works anywhere even space!" (lol) to "the stupid looking neurohelmets have the pilots control it with thoughts like their body and it's weird to do that if it's not human shaped". This lead to a guy making an extra-good helmet and extra-articulated mech that moved exactly like a human being that weirded everyone who saw it the gently caress out and the guy who plugged into it went insane

https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Epimetheus

Battletech knows exactly how stupid mechs are.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Aug 26, 2020

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Lawman 0 posted:

I'm not totally against them scrapping all this horseshit and just moving the timeline ahead again a century or so.

Come back with more nuanced versions of Space Japan and Space China, and make the Clans less "minor league hockey mascot at the end of an RPG campaign with a Monty Hall DM"

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

GD_American posted:

One of the problems with Battletech's static authorship (largely the same people for 40 years) is that nobody's willing to deconstruct the obvious holes in the setting.

Imagine one protagonist pointing out that feudal royalty loves Mechs because they're a way to fight that's more "pure" than that of their shitkicker serfs. This has many spillover effects, to the largely duel-based warfare all Mechwarriors engage in, to overspending on procurement of Mechs by every nation around.

Not to mention the ridiculous logistical requirements that Mech units would have. A regiment of 108 Mechs would have as high as 30-40 unique designs, each of which has virtually no components in common, each of which has incredibly uniquely shaped and designed limbs and exterior armor plates. Imagine the first merc commander that says "Phoenix Hawks, Marauders, Battlemasters, and that's it". Stock parts for only 3 kinds of Mechs.

Also the most expensive part of militaries would still be personnel. Try conquering and holding a hostile planet with 108 Mechs and a few hundred tanks. You'd need high six to low seven figures in people of infantry and support personnel.

Imagine a Battletech novel treating Mechs as they are- rare, expensive figureheads piloted by shithead nobles that need an ocean of support to achieve any real strategic military objective.

This sounds extremely boring and completely against what makes Battletech fun, which is giant robots punching each other.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Counter proposal: make the clans more minor league hockey.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The Clans seem like they may make sense as somewhere between that and 40k's Space Marines; they have gimmicks and mascots and they've spent their entire history fighting each other in the name of them, and turned on anyone else they have a ridiculous amount of pride and everything to prove but have trouble breaking the habit of what's until now been mostly ceremonial warfare.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

GD_American posted:

I'm not totally against them scrapping all this horseshit and just moving the timeline ahead again a century or so.

Come back with more nuanced versions of Space Japan and Space China, and make the Clans less "minor league hockey mascot at the end of an RPG campaign with a Monty Hall DM"

Right I mean if you did that you could just have the major houses fall or something and do something like "well these houses were holding back alot of innovation and now you got actual new cultures from the ashes" or whatever. Though I guess even dark age sorta does that?

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Tulip posted:

You make Slap Shot with mechs and I’m there, buddy.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Someone already made 100 foot Robot Golf.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The Clans seem like they may make sense as somewhere between that and 40k's Space Marines; they have gimmicks and mascots and they've spent their entire history fighting each other in the name of them, and turned on anyone else they have a ridiculous amount of pride and everything to prove but have trouble breaking the habit of what's until now been mostly ceremonial warfare.

The Clans have already hit their breaking point as a society by the 3100s. The invader clans have all found ways to integrate with the Inner Sphere and become part of the feudal power structure (in some cases very successfully, in at least one case leading to their total annihilation). The Homeworld clans reached the logical endpoint of a fanatical warrior society that uses strict honor rules as a thinly veiled rationale for political violence—they genocided each other and then retreated into complete isolationism out of fear of 'taint.' They'll probably come back as some superthreat in the future but it'd almost be as satisfying to just see them dwindle away into starving nobodies.

They're pretty much exactly like the Mongols except they never conquered as much territory.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Tulip posted:

There's a short story where the clans go in to curbstomp a random rear end planet that has zero defenses so their plan is to exploit the Clan's auction system to see who can conquer what at the lowest price/fewest resources, and challenge them to a game of football.

Unfortunately for the planet, the clan mechwarriors are genetic freaks so the lovely militia team had a 141 and two thirds percent chance of getting owned and did, but they got a goal on them somehow so the clan appreciated the effort

Also I think they accidentally tackled someone to death

SavageGentleman
Feb 28, 2010

When she finds love may it always stay true.
This I beg for the second wish I made too.

Fallen Rib
Just wondering as a non STEM guy: Would such an orbital launching ramp (seen on WHEN WORLDS COLLIDE [1951] ) make any sense or just kill everyone riding the rocket in a very messy way?

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Lawman 0 posted:

Counterpoint: it needs a robot general. General Dwight D Robohauer

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

aphid_licker posted:

One of the hovertanks is "J. Edgar".

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

Anything they try first to stop a kaiju. Dumb answer, I know but it's always lovely.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

One of the hovertanks is "J. Edgar".

Lmao I had forgotten about that.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

SavageGentleman posted:

Just wondering as a non STEM guy: Would such an orbital launching ramp (seen on WHEN WORLDS COLLIDE [1951] ) make any sense or just kill everyone riding the rocket in a very messy way?

I'm not sure what is exactly going on but if you're talking about a chain of external boosters (aka bombs) on a fixed rail like a V3 gun, it's actually one of the better ideas to avoid liquifying the crew on a manned mission.

E: my phone is making the image look like garbage but that looks like a mass driver + rocket, which hasn't been done for reasons but it's not more likely to kill passengers than a normal rocket.

Tulip fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Aug 26, 2020

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

SavageGentleman posted:

Depends how fast it's going through the turney bit. It's not very far from the launch point, so if it's like real rockets, probably not particularly dangerous, but also not a very good way to make the rocket point up instead of sideways.

Rockets mostly don't actually accelerate that fast. Space shuttle maxed out at 3G's (~30m/s^2), which is less than peak acceleration on lots of roller coasters. Rockets thing is sustaining that acceleration for a long time. 4-5 minutes at 3G's gets you to orbital velocity.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

SavageGentleman posted:

Look up launch loop and orbital rings as well op.
Also these sort of thing combined with like a skyhook (like a space elevator but it only reaches into the atmosphere) would be fantastic for launching cargo and are on my shortlist for "cool sci-fi poo poo we can actually do right now".

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Lawman 0 posted:

Right I mean if you did that you could just have the major houses fall or something and do something like "well these houses were holding back alot of innovation and now you got actual new cultures from the ashes" or whatever. Though I guess even dark age sorta does that?

They did, but then they made the factions awful 2-D pastiches that were no better, just to make the little plastic miniatures easier to sell to kids.

Tulip posted:

As a long-time Clan hater, I'm....not against that.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

GD_American posted:

They did, but then they made the factions awful 2-D pastiches that were no better, just to make the little plastic miniatures easier to sell to kids.

:sigh: I can't win

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Linux Pirate posted:

Anything they try first to stop a kaiju. Dumb answer, I know but it's always lovely.

I got this mixed up and now I'm picturing Mechwarriors vs Kaiju, and you know what I'm down with that

I miss Monsterpocalypse, it was handled terribly but the core idea of 'every giant robot and kaiju movie happens all at once' is cool as hell

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

aphid_licker posted:

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

I had this game. This image is not representative of gameplay by a longshot

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

You arguably play it for its cutscenes, so yeah, it kind of is!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Hell, if every vaguely human scale game has to have a spinoff with zombies, mecha games should have a spinoff AU where the universe is invaded by kaiju

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
At the very least, a Pacific Rim style game where the Kaiju are meat mechs.

There was also Love, Death and Robots which had an episode where people would jack in to vat grown monsters and fight to the death.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I had my own wacky fanfic idea for a Pacific Rim sequel where a 'wild' Kaiju hunted by the invaders breaks into Earth and becomes a wild ally to humanity, suffering a breakdown when faced with a kaiju that's built out of their mate and later leading a counter-charge to liberate the natural kaiju from being used as war machines, after having drifted with humans, with the amusing realisation that their first impression was that humanity are the infant forms of Jaegers but realising with bemusement that it's closer to the other way around.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Aren't Battletech credits effectively phone minutes from comstar?

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

CainFortea posted:

Aren't Battletech credits effectively phone minutes from comstar?

Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell
The clans brought the lostech of 10-10-220 back to the inner sphere. They had to be stopped