Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
When we had the contractor in who got arrested at work, he would brag all the time how he was about to pass the CCIE and how much he knew and would talk down to people a bit too. Afterwards, when people were googling his name and stuff to find the news articles, we found posts he'd made on brain dump sites asking for people to send him CCNP dumps. Sure was fun having to re-do basically every bit of work he'd done unsupervised.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Aug 26, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

I have a g.e.d.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

jaegerx posted:

I have a g.e.d.

That's good enough.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

jaegerx posted:

I have a g.e.d.

IT ages us all man.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

The Fool posted:

While I’ve never personally experienced this, I’ve definitely seen sentiment online along the lines of “if they can’t take the time to do this, they don’t deserve the job “

There is at least some amount of “if they really want to work here”

And smaller companies might not have the resources to dedicate to interviewing people at certain hours etc

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

When we had the contractor in who got arrested at work, he would brag all the time how he was about to pass the CCIE and how much he knew and would talk down to people a bit too. Afterwards, when people were googling his name and stuff to find the news articles, we found posts he'd made on brain dump sites asking for people to send him CCNP dumps. Sure was fun having to re-do basically every bit of work he'd done unsupervised.

In my early MSP days I worked with a couple kids who had the “once I get my ccie...” mindset

Most of them got a few Microsoft cents and maybe a CCNA and then gave up their dreams

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
My old company found posts of my old director of engineering asking Nvidia's support forums which capacitors we should pull off our production hardware.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Methanar posted:

My old company found posts of my old director of engineering asking Nvidia's support forums which capacitors we should pull off our production hardware.

Do you work at Linus Tech Tips or the Rossman Group?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Sickening posted:

This. It really irks me that people part of a hiring process will not hesitate to making lengthy time requirements for people they aren't paying. I am sure its mostly people just being oblivious and not malicious.

Anyone remember the “job ads” on the AOL programming forums. Coders/artists for either a doom or c&c clone, one dude would handle “the biz and the ideas” and everyone gets paid a fair share “when we sell”

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

LochNessMonster posted:

For me certs are a useful way of setting a goal to learn new technology. The cert isn’t the goal but it helps showing clients I have studied for something and have a certain amount of knowledge on said subjects. In interviews I can elaborate on the amount of knowledge/experience. I do try to get certs for technology I work with so it’s not like getting a CCNA while never having touched routers, switches, packet tracer or gns.

I do this too but also if I'm going to learn Thing, I'd like to also have the paper that says I know about Thing. I've done 95% of the work, might as well have something that validates it, right? It also provides some structure as far as what I "should" know, which is nice to have. Obviously the utility depends on the quality of the exam and curriculum, but I more or less like the idea. The way testing orgs milk it for cash with renewals and even the exam structure is for the birds, though.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

guppy posted:

I do this too but also if I'm going to learn Thing, I'd like to also have the paper that says I know about Thing. I've done 95% of the work, might as well have something that validates it, right? It also provides some structure as far as what I "should" know, which is nice to have. Obviously the utility depends on the quality of the exam and curriculum, but I more or less like the idea. The way testing orgs milk it for cash with renewals and even the exam structure is for the birds, though.

I know how to google. What’s my certification?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

jaegerx posted:

https://grow.google/programs/it-support/

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

In my experience certs or formal education is just to get you past the initial recruiter/HR steps. For senior positions once you get to talk to someone who does real work it's all about showing your practical experience.

If I was hiring for an entry level position I'd look for motivation and willingness to learn more than practical experience. Personal projects are of course a great merit in that regard. So you've never had an IT job, but you made and published a mod for your favorite game? Great!

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

klosterdev posted:

When I had just been hired to my current org, there was a new Senior Analyst. My cube was next to his, and every time I asked a question that a senior guy should know, he looked confused and pawned it off to someone else. At the time I didn't know what I didn't know, so I figured he just hadn't learned how x works in our org yet since he was new too. Few weeks later the IT Director gathered us all together and told us he wasn't with the organization anymore. I later learned that his resume was PACKED with certificates, and during the interview every question he answered by pointing to a relevant cert to show that he knew it. Turns out he knew basically nothing at a practical level, I never learned if the guy was just really good at memorizing answers for tests or a straight-up fraud. My then-manager eventually told the guy that he has a month to show that he can do what his resume said he could do, and the guy decided to quit instead.

What was the point of that interview?

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

Methanar posted:

We get involved in a lot of AV setup kinda stuff, we used to have a guy who claimed to be the expert on all things AV. An old boss of mine asked him a question about something and he said I'll make you a recommendation, let me go find out.

That night, the apparently made a post on avforums, my boss, let's say called bob, replied using the his screenname along the lines of bob1234 and the guy came in the next day saying 'oh you need to do *what you told me on the forum*' without realising what had happened.

I think he left of his own accord when he was overlooked for promotion.

There was another boss around those times who used to tell me the story of his technical test in interviews being 'right, get that PC on the domain' and leaving the candidate with a box of cable and crimpers next to the PC.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

jaegerx posted:

I’ve got nipples, can you certify me?

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Tetramin posted:

I’ve got nipples, can you certify me?

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I stood up a Wordpress AMI backed by RDS with an S3 bucket for a friend who is about to put something on Kickstarter. Or in resume terms I created a two-tier AWS environment for a local manufacturing technology startup on a freelance basis.

I hope you followed AWS' official well architected guide for Wordpress.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

BallerBallerDillz posted:

Lmao all this undone by yet another wordpress zero day, too

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

This gets me every time :lol:

Hundreds of dollars a month for a wordpress with cat pictures.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Matt Zerella posted:

This gets me every time :lol:

Hundreds of dollars a month for a wordpress with cat pictures.

To be fair, 90% of that is the ridiculous pricing on NAT gateways. Switch to NAT instances and you’ll be sailing.

It’s also not remotely a complicated configuration? CDN for static assets, load balancer pointing to your backend instanced, with a DB tier.

Admittedly I’m not sure why you’d need an EFS mount, but the rest is reasonable.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

0/10 no cloudwatch

And why do you need nat.

Don't know what EFS is doing here either.

The Dreamer
Oct 15, 2013

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
Speaking of AWS, does anyone know of any good free lab manuals or tutorials for practicing with it? I'm sure I could play around a bit and figure stuff out, but I find some structured tasks up-front help me learn stuff quicker.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

There's a github repo of all the re:Invent labs somewhere, but I don't know where

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Interview today had the guy saying SME as "Smee" and now I'm trying to find the clip from Hook where he goes "Smee, Smee, what about Smee? Oh, Smee's me!"

I'll probably print it out and put it on my desk. I will never see SME the same way again

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

NAT is so your wordpress nodes can install packages and plugins and poo poo, you don't want to give that thing a public IP. I imagine the diagram predates egress-only IGWs.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

George H.W. oval office posted:

Interview today had the guy saying SME as "Smee" and now I'm trying to find the clip from Hook where he goes "Smee, Smee, what about Smee? Oh, Smee's me!"

I say SME as Smee, and I do this. It's a pro move.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Happiness Commando posted:

I say SME as Smee, and I do this. It's a pro move.

:same:

Now let's ask how everyone pronounces Nginx

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Bonzo posted:

engine x

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I pronounce ilo as eye-el-oh

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

GreenNight posted:

I pronounce ilo as eye-el-oh

eye-lo

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I use to say SCCM as scum. I'm not sure if thats right or not but it certainly felt good because man that thing is a pain sometimes

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Bonzo posted:

I pronounce it "security vulnerability"

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

https://twitter.com/QuinnyPig/status/1298778792027013120

Doing this is one thing... I'm still shocked this guy is employed.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

On another does anyone here work with SCCM or Intune? The amount of imaging related positions available all the sudden is really surprising at the moment or a bunch of corporations suddenly realized understaffing it is a huge business liability.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Gabriel S. posted:

https://twitter.com/QuinnyPig/status/1298778792027013120

Doing this is one thing... I'm still shocked this guy is employed.

pfffffffffft KPMG says "hold my beer"

https://www.theregister.com/2020/08/24/kpmg_microsoft_teams/

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

I wonder how in the hell you gently caress that up. It almost seems intentional.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Gabriel S. posted:

I wonder how in the hell you gently caress that up. It almost seems intentional.

kpmg is a giant tax/financial consultancy.

definitely intentional to wipe incriminating data that would usually be subject to a legal hold

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Methanar posted:

definitely intentional to wipe incriminating data that would usually be subject to a legal hold

My boss said the same thing. He used to work for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Methanar posted:

Gabriel S. posted:

Retention policy fucks up aren't really that hard to believe. My main gripe with them is that Microsoft does cleanup on a weekly schedule behind the scenes so you get lulled into a sense of security. Its also pretty common for your best infrastructure folks not to be managing these stupid policies in office 365. Your mid level janitors are the ones usually pushing the buttons.

One of the easier thing to oops on.