Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

poisonpill posted:

Everyone with a chest freezer... how are they? Worth it? what are you storing in there?

I had two prior to this, one for serving homebrew from kegs of beer, the other for temp controlling fermenting beer, or secondary serving capacity. That second one got the temp controller removed and converted back to a freezer at the start of this. Proteins, bread, butter, hops, and some prepared food.

I miss my second beer freezer, but not sure if I miss it enough for the premium right now. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

We just started to fill my chest freezer. Costco didn't have ground pork, so I bought 10lb from Kroger yesterday. Also ground chicken and ground turkey.

The foodsaver realllly doesn't want to vacuum seal this wet ground stuff. It starts sucking the juices out of it, runs forever, and if it attempts a seal, it doesn't seal because of all the juices. So my wife settled by putting them in ziplock bags and doing a bowl of water trick to push out most of the air.

We're also going to fill it with the bags of frozen veggies from Costco. Broccoli, the mix, some berry blend stuff.

Maybe a pair of the super premium ice cream too.

We just put in maybe 10-15lb of meat last night, and my wife's like "... we can still see the bottom. We can put so much stuff in here!"

Any other good suggestions for what to save?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Ravendas posted:

We just started to fill my chest freezer. Costco didn't have ground pork, so I bought 10lb from Kroger yesterday. Also ground chicken and ground turkey.

The foodsaver realllly doesn't want to vacuum seal this wet ground stuff. It starts sucking the juices out of it, runs forever, and if it attempts a seal, it doesn't seal because of all the juices. So my wife settled by putting them in ziplock bags and doing a bowl of water trick to push out most of the air.

We're also going to fill it with the bags of frozen veggies from Costco. Broccoli, the mix, some berry blend stuff.

Maybe a pair of the super premium ice cream too.

We just put in maybe 10-15lb of meat last night, and my wife's like "... we can still see the bottom. We can put so much stuff in here!"

Any other good suggestions for what to save?

The trick I've found to vacuum sealing wet stuff is to watch the bag like a hawk while it's sucking the air out. As SOON as you start to see some of the liquid in the bag move toward the cut end, mash that seal button. You may trap a tiny, negligible amount of air in there, but that's worth being able to seal the bag instead of getting meat juice everywhere and a bag that won't seal.

FORUMS USER 1135
Jan 14, 2004

The Midniter posted:

The trick I've found to vacuum sealing wet stuff is to watch the bag like a hawk while it's sucking the air out. As SOON as you start to see some of the liquid in the bag move toward the cut end, mash that seal button. You may trap a tiny, negligible amount of air in there, but that's worth being able to seal the bag instead of getting meat juice everywhere and a bag that won't seal.

Also, pull the bag out just a little and run the sealer again, if your sealer doesn't have a pulse seal function.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I let the unsealed edge go in the foodsaver then let the heavy stuff hang out off the counter’s edge.

While it’s dangling down over the counter the air in the bag goes to the top. Then like the Midniter says, mash that seal button.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

fischtick posted:

I confess, I have an... upright freezer.

I found my little chest freezer on the street so I have no allegiance. I like upright freezers personally, because it's easier to organize as you have. Now if I want something it might be beneath a few items and there's always a shuffling to get to it.

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

:chaostrump:

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

Thats how I found out they discontinued Kirkland light lmao

Probably because the Salton Sea was getting too low.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
for "juicy" stuff it often helps to freeze stuff a bit before you vacuum seal it, can't pull the liquid if there is no liquid. The other way you can do it is to put some paper towel in there to help soak up the worst of the juicy

also if it's highly juicy the liquid often screws up the seal

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

fischtick posted:

I confess, I have an... upright freezer.

We used to have a coffin freezer, a hand-me-down from the Johnson administration. It died one day and took most of a half-a-cow with it. I popped it open to toss some Costco stuff in there, and as the lid closed I got a whiff of the pepperoni sticks I had on the top. "Ooooh, pepperoni" had just started to go through my mind when I managed to remember you really shouldn't smell fresh meats in the freezer. Everything was room temperature. When it came to replacing it, all we could find were uprights.

Top shelf is full of turkey stock. A thanksgiving tradition. Various stews, chilis, and occasionally some Green Bay Booyah winds up there, too.

Mid shelves are weird frozen things. Panko-crusted chicken breasts, World's Greatest Fish Sticks, Pizza Rolls, frozen pastas, and flautas/taquitos. Ice cream treats, too. We also get a ton of sliced bread and bagels from [somewhere not Costco] and freeze 'em. My highly trained palate can't tell the difference.

Lower shelves have a bunch of 1lb. chubs of ground beef, 2-3 lb. packs of chicken thighs, some of those Costco rotisserie chicken packs, and an inordinate amount of ground pork for some reason. I usually keep a couple bone-in turkey breasts in there, too. Back in late March we had Plaguesgiving with all the trimmings and that was kind of fun, for a minute.

Door is Costco butter, Costco blueberries and smoothie mixes, and a bunch of those Capri-Sun looking things that are actually frozen adult beverages. Got them on clearance somewhere and we're slowly working through them.

This guy COSTCOs. Respect.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

poisonpill posted:

Everyone with a chest freezer... how are they? Worth it? what are you storing in there?

Beef, pork, burgers, Normandy vegetables, fish, chicken, bacon, bread.

It's only half full though. I think I'd rather have a spare conventional fridge. Or a fridge that has the big part as the freezer and the small part as the fridge.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

FogHelmut posted:

Beef, pork, burgers, Normandy vegetables, fish, chicken, bacon, bread.

It's only half full though. I think I'd rather have a spare conventional fridge. Or a fridge that has the big part as the freezer and the small part as the fridge.

You can make it a fridge. https://smile.amazon.com/Inkbird-Max-1200W-Temperature-Controller-Greenhouse/dp/B01HXM5UAC/

I use those to make them into kegerators / fermentation chambers. You can even get a wifi one if you really want.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Any reviews on Costco Mattresses?

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I've got a p100 3m half respirator from the california wildfires a couple of of years ago. Since they're still happening now and because of the virus, I would like to wear that to costco. It has one of those outflow vents, I can fit a surgical mask over it which I did when I went to cvs yesterday. I ask because, a friend of mine was saying costco was making people tape over the 3m respirator outflow valves. I would be covering the valve with a surgical mask. Is that good enough? Has anyone seen anything like this at their local costco? I tried to find a picture of someone wearing a surgical mask over a p100 and I couldnt find one.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Why wouldn’t it be good enough? A surgical mask alone is enough to enter Costco.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
I don't want to tape over the outflow valve. My friend who has been going to costco says that costco makes you tape over the outflow valve. I am asking if wearing a second mask covering the valve would be good enough, or if they will still make me tape over the valve.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Paul MaudDib posted:

for "juicy" stuff it often helps to freeze stuff a bit before you vacuum seal it, can't pull the liquid if there is no liquid.

also if it's highly juicy the liquid often screws up the seal

That's how you do it. Anything else is playing with fire water.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

redreader posted:

I don't want to tape over the outflow valve. My friend who has been going to costco says that costco makes you tape over the outflow valve. I am asking if wearing a second mask covering the valve would be good enough, or if they will still make me tape over the valve.

I don't see why that wouldn't be good enough, but if they disagree you should throw a grown up temper tantrum imo.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

redreader posted:

Can they even see it under the other mask?

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Propaganda Machine posted:

Can they even see it under the other mask?

yeah it's hard to hide!

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

You could always just wear a regular, disposable surgical mask for the time you spend inside Costco, and then swap to your P100 mask when you're back outside to leave. That way you won't have to play Costco Mask Judgment Roulette.

Carrion Luggage
Nov 24, 2006

redreader posted:

yeah it's hard to hide!

Could always wear an appropriate mask for the ask. You are primarily wearing a mask to help filter the exhale, this is the reasoning behind wearing them to begin with.

Your mask filters in the inhale and not the exhale, which is not at all serving the original purpose of the mask.
In order to do both just cut up a mask like everyone else is wearing and affix around the exhale vent of your mask.

Also if you NEED to wear a mask like this to go into public because you are at a high risk of death is you catch covid then stop going into public to go shopping and find a better, safer way to complete you task.

PLEASE.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

redreader posted:

yeah it's hard to hide!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5yjjOcs83U

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Carrion Luggage posted:

just cut up a mask like everyone else is wearing and affix around the exhale vent of your mask.

There you go I fixed your post so that it was just answering the question and lacked the unnecessary lecturing.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
Man, I wish my local Costcos had a mandatory mask policy, it’s super-gross that they’re putting their staff at risk to avoid offending the shittiest people alive.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Duck and Cover posted:

There you go I fixed your post so that it was just answering the question and lacked the unnecessary lecturing.
Lol :argh:

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Just got back with some serviceable Instant pho and a ton of Kirkland infant formula.

A samples guy was standing behind a plexiglass barrier with a small sad plate of tiny Kirkland frozen pizza slices. I asked for a sample. He said it was display only. I wanted to say those grapes are probably sour anyway but that poor guy had to spend all day fending off the sort person that handles rejection badly

The pizza SUPERSTAR pizza was down to just two boxes left and I took that to be directly related to my power as an influencer.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

My Grillos pickles started fermenting for some reason. These are not the fermented kind of pickles. But they're boiling away in there.

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

I just want chicken bakes to dip in my Bitchin sauce.
That's all, CostCo... please bring back the chicken bakes...
I don't know how much longer...
I can go on... Not eating two of them in the car after shopping there...
Such a bargain...
Please CostCo

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

They're being rolled out. Should be everywhere by the end of next month

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

Yaaaaaaaaaaaay

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
I just went and wore a normal mask like a normal person, as one goon suggested. I forgot to put on my normal glasses so I'm wearing my prescription sunglasses inside like a celebrity or weirdo. You can also see where I sewed a wire onto my cat hair covered mask.

Anyway, Chicken ramen, 4 different kinds of protein bars/snacks, more yasso greek yoghurt bars, a chicken, 2 loaves of bread, more chicken ramen, some frozen fruit/fage 0%/spinach for smoothies, and they had some prepared lamb legs for roasting! Lamb's the best so that should be good.

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

Found bitchin sauce in Atlanta tonight. What do I do with this goons?

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

Ferdinand the Bull posted:

dip yo balls in it

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

dip yo balls in it

The taste might overwhelm them

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

dip yo balls in it

They have to return from orbit first

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

I didn't have anything to dip in it yet, so my finger sufficed.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

my protip is to use it in place of mayo for sandwiches

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.

StormDrain posted:

Any reviews on Costco Mattresses?

I have a Novaform I think, and it's good poo poo. Worth it.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

EVG posted:

I have a Novaform I think, and it's good poo poo. Worth it.

Nice, if it's the "Comfort Grande" then it's going on sale next month too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

ive decided bitchin sauce is just expensive hummus