Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

EmmyOk posted:

Played more ReMake tonight and over all I enjoy it a tonne but the battling has some issues. The way interrupts work can be really obnoxious. Like if the cure effect goes off and you lose the MP it should activate or you shouldn't lose the MP. Also I just had a fight during the Chocobo side quest where the three enemies are highly resistant to Magic and Physical and when you stagger them to 100% it drops instantly. Like what is that battle lol? There is not good strategy it's just really long. The Tonberry fight also felt similarly obtuse even when I used Assess.

When the enemies are "dancing" if you attack them enough to interrupt them they spawn a clone. Kill the clone and the real one becomes more susceptible to damage for a brief period. Stagger doesn't work on them it wears off super fast. I didn't realize the clones removed their damage resistance the first time either so I just whittled them all down.

Tonberry is just dodge the knife stab to make it enter Pressured state. If you try and do a long range attack that locks down like Barrett's Big Bertha skill he will respond with instant death attack on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Kongming posted:

When the enemies are "dancing" if you attack them enough to interrupt them they spawn a clone. Kill the clone and the real one becomes more susceptible to damage for a brief period. Stagger doesn't work on them it wears off super fast. I didn't realize the clones removed their damage resistance the first time either so I just whittled them all down.

Tonberry is just dodge the knife stab to make it enter Pressured state. If you try and do a long range attack that locks down like Barrett's Big Bertha skill he will respond with instant death attack on them.

Ah I had been avoiding making clones which seemed to be what the assess suggested doing, that’s dumb lol. But thanks.

To berry yeah I realised you had to dodge the knife was just awkward at first. And then once or twice he killed me at long distance and I didn’t understand that. Cheers!

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Seems like you're a n00b

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I’m actually a veteran of final fantasy games, I’m just really dumb... so more fool you

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Why does remake feel the need to entirely reload the entire level if you want to retry a gym challenge mini game lol. Really sucks rear end

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Playing VIII and the orphanage scene was really surprising. Loved the music sting when they reveal who Matron is.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
the music in 8 is so good. Balamb garden and the world map music are 2 of the best from any FF imo

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

VIII has some of the series' best stuff imho. It's not as wall to wall amazing as VI or as cohesive as VII but it has some of my all time favourites 100%

also eyes on me slaps

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I know two spoilers going in That the main baddie is called Ultimecia and that she's from the future. Due to playing dissidia and the basic summary on wikipedia when I looked at it said she's from the future lol. So I'm guessing Edea is also her. And Selphie's diary mentions inheriting power from Sorceresses and guesses Edea got hers from Adel after the last war, but we'll see

So all the orphanage stuff was totally new and wild to me and I really don't know where things are gonna go. The junction system is kind of cool an I like no equipment though I'd wish the weapon upgrades didn't require so much googling lol.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

EmmyOk posted:

I know two spoilers going in That the main baddie is called Ultimecia and that she's from the future. Due to playing dissidia and the basic summary on wikipedia when I looked at it said she's from the future lol. So I'm guessing Edea is also her. And Selphie's diary mentions inheriting power from Sorceresses and guesses Edea got hers from Adel after the last war, but we'll see

So all the orphanage stuff was totally new and wild to me and I really don't know where things are gonna go. The junction system is kind of cool an I like no equipment though I'd wish the weapon upgrades didn't require so much googling lol.

Please continue to trip report this b/c I very much want to hear the reaction to FFVIII from someone who has never played and does not know much about it

VIII has alot of issues but it's one of my faves and prob my most replayed PS1 title

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

esperterra posted:

Please continue to trip report this b/c I very much want to hear the reaction to FFVIII from someone who has never played and does not know much about it

VIII has alot of issues but it's one of my faves and prob my most replayed PS1 title

you got it

lol

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

lol

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

poo poo

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

some of the big reveals in FF8 aren't even in the main plot of the game, you have to pick up a plot point from insinuations certain characters make if you bother to talk to them

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

The real plot is hidden and only apparent after reading an enormous gamefaqs .txt file and that owns

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I’ve been collecting and reading all the timber maniacs magazines

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Lol

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

The battle between the gardens is cool as hell but the mini game where you’re fighting the guy is absurdly busted and lovely

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Hoho imp zone magic ftw

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

EmmyOk posted:

The battle between the gardens is cool as hell but the mini game where you’re fighting the guy is absurdly busted and lovely

It's basically just a QTE game, don't let it get in your head

que sera sera
Aug 4, 2006

I'm 30 hours into bravely second and my 3ds keeps freezing during this one boss fight :negative:

que sera sera
Aug 4, 2006

uncle at nintendo still around...? lol

help...

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

EmmyOk posted:

That's my favorite part of the game, conceptually cool to see military academies mobilizing by literally making their school mobile lol

Frenz
Jan 14, 2009

i played 7, 8 and 9 all within the last couple of years and 8 was my favorite on psx.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

In Training posted:

That's my favorite part of the game, conceptually cool to see military academies mobilizing by literally making their school mobile lol

Yeah it owns! The first time you're sailing around is so cool and then you see the Galbadian Garden doing the same :stare: Really cool

Just finished Disc 2 and dang that was a pretty cool reveal. Not sure if Seifer knew that Ultimecia was inhabiting Matron or not, he is a poo poo after all. Really curious what Rinoa's deal is. Currently reckon she's a sorceress herself but not sure if she's connected to Ultimecia.

And finally playing as Laguna and the gang again lol, they own. Though annoyingly it's wiped all my junctions on the new disc except squalls

Frenz posted:

i played 7, 8 and 9 all within the last couple of years and 8 was my favorite on psx.

I'm surprised how much I'm loving it. Currently IX is my favourite of the PSX ones but I hadn't play more than a few hours of VIII before.

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Do double and triple stack? I’d assume not but I was summoning all my new GF to see their moves and Cerberus casts both on the party.

Also feel like golden homer with max -ga spells drawn and all my crew hitting with different elements and absorbing the others

tawal
Feb 7, 2012

Triple overwrites Double

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

they don't stack, no. i don't think there's a ton of use to triple beyond maybe later in the game hitting everyone in the party with aura? i always saved it because it's so good to junction to SPD

tawal
Feb 7, 2012

Yeah, Triple's the best junction for HIT-J or whatever the hell the accuracy stat is called, too.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

tawal posted:

Yeah, Triple's the best junction for HIT-J or whatever the hell the accuracy stat is called, too.

HIT-J isn't super useful to waste triple on, though. it caps out at 255 and a whole bunch of junctions will bring it there.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Triple is the best junction on every single stat lol. Have it on magic atm and flare on str

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

EmmyOk posted:

Triple is the best junction on every single stat lol. Have it on magic atm and flare on str

ultima is the best on most, but flare is really good on str, good choice

tawal
Feb 7, 2012

Bicyclops posted:

HIT-J isn't super useful to waste triple on, though. it caps out at 255 and a whole bunch of junctions will bring it there.

:hai: I did not remember the point of it correctly. Per the !Final Fantasy Wiki!: Triple is the only way for Irvine, Rinoa, and Quistis to achieve the cap of 255, which grants perfect accuracy. Due to this, it is better to stock Triples rather than cast them.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I never cast them anyways cos it still uses up three spells and most of my food spells are junxtioned as is triple plus rare to draw

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I am certain you are all just making this up as you go along

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I am certain you are all just making this up as you go along

final fantasy viii is a weird game like that, it feels like the last one where it's really true. like ffx has a lot of the same stuff going on where summoning isn't that great and advice can involve weird sentences like "fight One-Eye until he drops a weapon with three slots and triple overdrive, then add overdrive to AP to that weapon - fight Don Tonberry and let him murder you repeatedly. you'll have to take breaks to throw items at Kottos because you'll run out of stuff for the sphere grid."

that sentence feels less counter-intuitive than a lot of stuff about final final fantasy viii, like "there's a hidden mechanic that steals your money if you don't get enough kills" and "you can accidentally gently caress up the card trading game so that everyone in the world is playing by rules that make you lose if you have too many cards" and "the only equipment upgrades are weapons and they're actually way less important, mostly, than what you junction." like, it's little things like that, technically, to get the best SeeD rank, you have to do weird stuff like just sit around during the Ifrit fight until the timer ticks all the way to the bottom or that the least exhausting way to actually complete the Card Queen sidequest involves save-scumming and knowing the hidden percentages about where she travels.