Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

I got that email as well. Think it could be faster as well. Found it a bit funny that is came from squaw@email.squaw.com.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Somehow I never made that connection with the name, shows my ignorance. Good to see there appears to be some local Washoe involvement with the decision.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
What's a squaw?

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

ante posted:

What's a squaw?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squaw

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

bawfuls posted:

Somehow I never made that connection with the name, shows my ignorance. Good to see there appears to be some local Washoe involvement with the decision.

Yeah, I was entirely unaware of that as well.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
They’re talking about changing the name of Squaw Valley Crescent in Whistler as well.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

spwrozek posted:

I got that email as well. Think it could be faster as well. Found it a bit funny that is came from squaw@email.squaw.com.

I'm sure it could be faster, but there's also a lot of poo poo that they'll need to do and if they were to do it before the next ski season that's a pretty tight schedule. I imagine it isn't that they need a whole year, but that a few months isn't enough and past that point it makes the most sense to set a deadline of next season

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I imagine they want to change it to Olympic Valley, and there might be some legal groundwork that is lengthy to secure that name.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.
Hope you guys got some of that rain today, even if it was brief

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Moot .1415926535 posted:

Hope you guys got some of that rain today, even if it was brief

We got a little rain yesterday. Hopefully more comes.

Is an unguided Silverton Pass worth it? for $200 right now I can get that plus the two day add on for A-basin, Monarch, and Sunlight.

I still haven't pulled the trigger on the Epic pass.

I just don't know what to do...just ski the backcountry only... I can probably ski Monday's this year (at least for 2 hours) so maybe Epic is worth it. I wish I knew how they were going to operate the resorts. Someone read the tea leaves and tell me what to do haha.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

while I am totally supportive of changing the name, I do admit that part of me is a little sad that it also means retiring the Squallywood nickname :/

they should rename it GNAR Valley

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

I absolutely love Silverton. You’ll want to go guided a few times to get a feel for the mountain. I used my unguided pass probably 6 times last time so it definitely paid for itself. Plus with the $39 heli drops you can add you get even more value out of it.

Moot .1415926535 fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Aug 27, 2020

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

spwrozek posted:

We got a little rain yesterday. Hopefully more comes.

Is an unguided Silverton Pass worth it? for $200 right now I can get that plus the two day add on for A-basin, Monarch, and Sunlight.

I still haven't pulled the trigger on the Epic pass.

I just don't know what to do...just ski the backcountry only... I can probably ski Monday's this year (at least for 2 hours) so maybe Epic is worth it. I wish I knew how they were going to operate the resorts. Someone read the tea leaves and tell me what to do haha.

Perisher (vail) has been operating like so:

no snow play - no toboggan, picnics, or any other kind of non ski/boarding activity as you do not need a lift pass to do these (and i guess they cant track numbers or who was visiting at the time)

initially limited capacity based on available terrain with season pass holders having to register attendance prior to arrival, pre-sale only lift tickets.

then reduced capacity based on available terrain within resort (releasing more day passes for pre-purchase after good snow fall) season pass holders no longer required to register.

face masks (buff, balaclava, scarf covering nose to chin) mandatory everywhere from aug 1, policed in lift lines and indoor areas.

reduced capacity at indoor facilities, no moving/combining tables/chairs, must be seated, no standing unless moving between buying food/bar and your seats.

registering your visit at any indoor facility via QR code. this includes the cafes and shops in the resort individually.

maximum of 10 sitting together within cafe areas, living together or not.

lifts:
if you live together, you can ride together up to the capacity of the chair.

if you are a single, you can ride with another single on a triple or a quad, 3 people on an 8 seater.

1.5m distance between people in the line (not heavily enforced but also skis and boards in a lift line take care of this one)

shops:
cannot try on clothing unless you buy it first, perisher owned stores offering decent discount (15%) on helmets and goggles and some other items)

hygiene:
tables are wiped down with sanitiser between each guest (this is managed like a regular restaurant would - wait to be seated, then told what table to go to after its cleaned)

hand sanitiser at every entrance to every shop/cafe/area and some will not let you until you have used it.

lots of cleaning everywhere all the time. everyone reminding everyone to keep their coverings on. no mask = no lift.

its been working reasonably well thus far. there has been no recorded active cases at the snow fields or jindabyne (the town most people stay in for perisher/thredbo). the most annoying part, the QR code thing, is made simpler by the option for it to remember your details so you just need to scan the code and then confirm your existing name/number is correct.

there was traces of covid found in the sewage in perisher but no clusters reported and could have been someone who had recovered from the virus.

the scary thing is that they are figuring out what people are willing to pay for a day pass to ski and it is $170/day AUD vs $130/day if you were to just turn up and buy a ticket like last year. normally you'd get a discount of up to 20% for pre-booking which is no longer the case.

with all that in mind, given that australia still has lots of social distancing measures in place and people are mostly in agreement that they are cool and good, I would assume that in the states they will just be throwing the gates open as per usual and letting god sort it out.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Laserface posted:

1.5m distance between people in the line (not heavily enforced but also skis and boards in a lift line take care of this one)

hahahaha, definitely not on a powder day around here. I wish, though.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Moot .1415926535 posted:

I absolutely love Silverton. You’ll want to go guided a few times to get a feel for the mountain. I used my unguided pass probably 6 times last time so it definitely paid for itself. Plus with the $39 heli drops you can add you get even more value out of it.

Yeah I am guessing it is cool. Just a long way down there.

Laserface posted:

with all that in mind, given that australia still has lots of social distancing measures in place and people are mostly in agreement that they are cool and good, I would assume that in the states they will just be throwing the gates open as per usual and letting god sort it out.

This seems about right.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

I mean ideally you would take a Thursday and a Friday off and ski four days in a row and then head back Sunday afternoon but without knowing what the state is gonna do about ski resort capacity that may or may not be possible.

Vacation rentals in Silverton are pretty cheap so if you can get a group together it works out really well. I think we paid $35 per person per night last time.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I’m both on my phone and running out the door so can’t find a link but epic released their plan for this year today.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

HookShot posted:

I’m both on my phone and running out the door so can’t find a link but epic released their plan for this year today.

I am optimistic that it will be something good, but realistic enough to expect it won't be.

Edit: reservation system but limited details. Makes me nervous to travel to an Epic resort.

https://theknow.denverpost.com/2020/08/27/vail-resorts-ski-season-coronavirus-reservations/244367/

IncredibleIgloo fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Aug 27, 2020

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Yeah it looks pretty good for locals. I am probably just going to do it. only $530 and try to ski Monday's.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

I can't imagine the shitshow that will be the lines for the backside at kirkwood on a powder day with limits on the number of people per lift. Or for that matter the center lift at Northstar where they have "maze masters" to handle the queuing.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?
https://www.skimag.com/news/vail-re...AR_pNpPZwrNeF5Y

Going to be loving insane

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Telluride is announcing their pass prices a week from today and I assume will make a similar announcement about reservation-based skiing, but I’m not sure where that leaves those of us with a merchant pass which is a discounted pass you get through your employer. I’m guessing the answer will be ‘shafted’.

das_bill
Sep 14, 2004
wookie ghost trouble

Moot .1415926535 posted:

Telluride is announcing their pass prices a week from today and I assume will make a similar announcement about reservation-based skiing, but I’m not sure where that leaves those of us with a merchant pass which is a discounted pass you get through your employer. I’m guessing the answer will be ‘shafted’.

But your industry, time to buy your shifts and go touring buddy. I'm guessing a poo poo load of people will die touring this year.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

spwrozek posted:

Yeah it looks pretty good for locals. I am probably just going to do it. only $530 and try to ski Monday's.

Yeah, I have no idea how good/bad the reservation system will be for Breck, but I'm going to give them my money (minus 20% off from last season) tonight.

I did notice that employee passes don't have to deal with the reservations, they are allowed to just show up. Wonder if I can work as a greeter for 2 hours a month......

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb

das_bill posted:

But your industry, time to buy your shifts and go touring buddy. I'm guessing a poo poo load of people will die touring this year.

It'll be all good until that first real avalanche cycle.

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011
Alright thread, I need you to weigh in on what ski town is best. My wife and I are seriously looking at relocating from Canmore in the spring when our lease is up, because housing in the Bow Valley is just nuts. We’ve sort of narrowed things down to Fernie, Kimberley, Revelstoke, or Vernon (Silver Star). Planning to spend a week or so at each over the winter but is there anything that we should be keeping in mind about any of these towns?

We ruled out Golden based on the fact that internet is poo poo there and we’re both permanent remote workers. All the towns listed have FTTH available which is a huge boon for us.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Feel like its worth mentioning that after 3 pairs of boots, custom fitting and a whole bunch of painful experiences, the thing that 'fixed' my snowboard boots causing me nerve pain was to simply use the supplied cheap insoles with the boots instead of custom footbeds.

$200ish on a few pairs of custom insoles trying to fix the problem, that all were just taking up too much space in the boot and causing me huge amounts of discomfort and pain.

dont believe the hype, IMO. or at least dont buy custom insoles unless the standard ones really leave you lacking in support or something.

e: it should be noted that the first pair of footbeds were to correct pronation in my feet which in turn should help correct my knee geometry, but due to a total lack of cushioning just made things worse. the second set were 'remind' insoles and off the shelf/heated in my boots and slightly better but still the same result - too tall in the heel and overall too thick compared to the provided insert, just making the boots too cramped.

I would still like to work on correcting the pronation issue as its definitely the cause of my kneecap subluxation issues, but I feel like some orthotics in my every day shoes and exercise that focuses on remedying the problem is probably better for that than in my $400 snowboard boots i wear for maybe 15 days a year max.

Laserface fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Aug 28, 2020

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Looking for some advice from the thread:

It looks like I can take the month of February off, and can budget around 4k for lodging, and I have an Epic pass. Where should I go, if anywhere? Ideally would like to be driving distance from Oregon, so Colorado is far East as I want to go. Looking for a balance of crowding, COVID worries, convenience. I really enjoy Park City, but am looking at the Tahoe area as well. Silverthorne Colorado looks like it would offer a lot of options of different resorts that Epic owns.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Elysium posted:

I am banned for life from Seven Springs in PA for going too slow through a slow zone.

I got yelled at for going too fast through a slow zone near the lift. To be fair I was going a bit fast, but I was merely trying to carry enough speed to make it across the flat to the lift without unstrapping, certainly I was in control and not unsafe at any point. So the next time down I go sssssssuuuuuuuuper slow while making sure to catch the hall monitors eye. So they pulled me off the slopes, actually forced me to go to some office, where they threatened to call the cops (for what???) and then told me I was banned for life and don't come back. Which meant nothing to me because it was the last run of the last day of a school ski trip that I would never be going on again.

Mike?

Edit: pass talk: wife and I can get epic local passes for a bit over $300 off, so $420. I’m still not sure if it’s worth it. We live in South East PA, so maybe we can try to go up to Stowe if Colorado doesn’t work out? Theoretically I also have an in-person conference in park city in March that they’re claiming will be in person.

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Aug 28, 2020

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Are you non-local people actually buying passes? The new reservation system and lift rules sound like a miserable experience (re: letter from Vail).
Feel like I already dodged a bullet by cancelling my park city trip back in March (where a bartender was tested positive) and i've kind of just given up on snowboarding in 2020/2021 season.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Looking for some advice from the thread:

It looks like I can take the month of February off, and can budget around 4k for lodging, and I have an Epic pass. Where should I go, if anywhere? Ideally would like to be driving distance from Oregon, so Colorado is far East as I want to go. Looking for a balance of crowding, COVID worries, convenience. I really enjoy Park City, but am looking at the Tahoe area as well. Silverthorne Colorado looks like it would offer a lot of options of different resorts that Epic owns.

A night of research and talking to friends has me leading towards staying in Avon, near Beaver Creek. It is less crowded, still on epic, and during week I can hit up Vail, Breckenridge, and one other epic resort if not too busy. Anyone have any locals info that is common knowledge about that area I might be missing that would make this a bad idea?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I'm gonna try to do a few midweek trips to Tahoe, but definitely not skiing liked I planned to this year unless I get vaccinated

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

Laserface posted:

Feel like its worth mentioning that after 3 pairs of boots, custom fitting and a whole bunch of painful experiences, the thing that 'fixed' my snowboard boots causing me nerve pain was to simply use the supplied cheap insoles with the boots instead of custom footbeds.

$200ish on a few pairs of custom insoles trying to fix the problem, that all were just taking up too much space in the boot and causing me huge amounts of discomfort and pain.

dont believe the hype, IMO. or at least dont buy custom insoles unless the standard ones really leave you lacking in support or something.

e: it should be noted that the first pair of footbeds were to correct pronation in my feet which in turn should help correct my knee geometry, but due to a total lack of cushioning just made things worse. the second set were 'remind' insoles and off the shelf/heated in my boots and slightly better but still the same result - too tall in the heel and overall too thick compared to the provided insert, just making the boots too cramped.

I would still like to work on correcting the pronation issue as its definitely the cause of my kneecap subluxation issues, but I feel like some orthotics in my every day shoes and exercise that focuses on remedying the problem is probably better for that than in my $400 snowboard boots i wear for maybe 15 days a year max.

There's really very little concrete data that orthotics in general help people, to be honest. I would say there is now a growing trend I've seen in the Snowsports world (within the race coaching and ski instruction world) in realising that it's perfectly fine or better to ski without an orthotic, but it's still kind of an out there belief that's working slowly. There's probably some indication that a stiffer flat footbed suits higher performance needs, but it's probably more productive to spend time thinking about how to use and move your foot effectively (if it doesn't already) than spend time and money posting it up weirdly.

The problem is that now there's an industry and because people love to be told they need something to fix themselves it it's going to be hard to get shops to stop selling them.

Disinterested fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Aug 28, 2020

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

E I have consistently preferred stock footbeds over any orthotic or "upgrade" I've tried. Both for alpine and touring boots.

IncredibleIgloo posted:

A night of research and talking to friends has me leading towards staying in Avon, near Beaver Creek. It is less crowded, still on epic, and during week I can hit up Vail, Breckenridge, and one other epic resort if not too busy. Anyone have any locals info that is common knowledge about that area I might be missing that would make this a bad idea?

Aside from housing still being a pain in the rear end, Avon/Edwards is a good option. Definitely better than Silverthorne or Dillon

The Beav is like one of the best kept secrets in CO because it has a bunch of great terrain but is always empty. Vail is also pretty empty mid week

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Honestly if you get a good midweek day in Vail I have no idea why you'd go to Breck except for dinner and apres ski. I went with a buddy for the first time last season and we got a pow day with hardly anyone around it was glorious. Knee deep in the good poo poo in the back bowls was heaven for my first season on a gentemstick barracuda.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

WHERE MY HAT IS AT posted:

Alright thread, I need you to weigh in on what ski town is best. My wife and I are seriously looking at relocating from Canmore in the spring when our lease is up, because housing in the Bow Valley is just nuts. We’ve sort of narrowed things down to Fernie, Kimberley, Revelstoke, or Vernon (Silver Star). Planning to spend a week or so at each over the winter but is there anything that we should be keeping in mind about any of these towns?

We ruled out Golden based on the fact that internet is poo poo there and we’re both permanent remote workers. All the towns listed have FTTH available which is a huge boon for us.

Also consider Kamloops (Sun Peaks).

I'd pick either Vernon or Fernie because I also mountain bike and both are either closer to large cities or are large enough themselves that I would not lose my mind. I love visiting Kimberley but it's a bit on the sleepy side for me. The Stoke seems cool but I've not spent a lot of time there. Fernie seems closest to Canmore in temperament.

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011

Bilirubin posted:

Also consider Kamloops (Sun Peaks).

I'd pick either Vernon or Fernie because I also mountain bike and both are either closer to large cities or are large enough themselves that I would not lose my mind. I love visiting Kimberley but it's a bit on the sleepy side for me. The Stoke seems cool but I've not spent a lot of time there. Fernie seems closest to Canmore in temperament.

Good to know, thanks! Will definitely add Kamloops to the list. I don’t mountain bike now, but will almost definitely be selling my road bike and taking it up since the road bike just sits there.

What I’ve heard of Revelstoke is that because there’s only one small gondi up and basically the whole town rides you can get huge lines even on a weekday powder day. Maybe it’s changed in the last couple years since I’ve been there though.

Fernie and Kimberley are really interesting because we could conceivably be < 10 minutes from the parking lot which would mean getting in a lot of days in a season.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I had the best powder day of my life in Kimberley when it snowed a meter overnight with very little warning and they had to close the highway, so only people already in town could access the hill. Five minute lineup for first chair, and then fresh lines with zero wait the entire rest of the day.

That said, Kimberley is nice but it is sleepy and they don't have a ton of varied terrain. It's fantastic if you like bombing down groomers with a shitload of rollers, though. I have some great memories from Kimberley and it will always hold a special place in my heart for a lot of reasons (I overcame my biggest fear in skiing there) but I wouldn't live there.

I'd probably go for Fernie or Revelstoke due to them being closer to the ski hill. But I'm spoiled that way from living in Whistler.

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011
Based on both of you saying that I think Kimberley is pretty much out. There’s surprisingly good stuff in Kamloops, in particular there’s a 1.5 acre property 20 minutes from Sun Peaks that’s only like 375k which is awesome. Fernie is a bit pricier but there’s a few places in budget for sure. Will have to ski it this winter and see how it feels.

I think we really need to try revy in an off peak time. My only memory of it aside from the amazing powder is waiting in line an hour before first chair and still being 45 minutes away from the front of it, but that was over Christmas so who knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

I spent a Xmas riding at Sunpeaks and it was awesome. Granted, got lucky with the snow, but a fair amount of terrain, decent lifts, moderate crowds.