Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
Aurelion Sol revealed today

Big ok’ dragon, and he brings dragon buddies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
https://twitter.com/PlayRuneterra/status/1297927150004318209

big dumb idiots and a 15 mana slow spell lol

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
He seems pretty bad and fury seems like a super weak mechanic. Some of the more expensive celestials seem pretty strong though.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
"Draw a busted card every round" seems decent. At Round 10 the game is often over, but you'd optimize for that stall. With 10 health he's eating a lot of hate, and just creating busted card after busted card.

ankle
Oct 30, 2010

I will be crafting 3x Aurelion Sols on day one because there is nothing I love more than big dumb fuckers

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

ankle posted:

I will be crafting 3x Aurelion Sols on day one because there is nothing I love more than big dumb fuckers

:hai:

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
"Hard castin' fatties and turning them sideways" for life.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

I want big dragon man to be good.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
What's a Celestial card? Have they shown a list of those?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Thumbnail version kind of sucks so here's a link to the full image: https://i.imgur.com/7trveYL.png

I think they're not really worth the hassle until 5+.

The very weird thing about Celestials is that apparently they have individual weighting, which means some will be more likely to discover than others off of Invoke cards. The exact numbers are yet to be documented but it's very strange.

https://twitter.com/swimstrim/status/1297953944967057409?s=20

No Wave fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Aug 25, 2020

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

gently caress riot for not naming the 10 cost card league of legends

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

If you’ve been playing the celestial package Aurelion Sol almost definitely levels up the turn he comes down. As you only need 10 power on board (he counts for half of his own condition just by existing). And if you get the hand full of fleeting celestials with him out you straight up win then and there for the most part.

He’s an even more extreme version of deep control. You make it to the end and your opponent will not survive him dropping.

It’s also worth noting that A Sol on his own will be a fine card without the Invoke package. If you drop him and have the condition he basically creates a second big fatty that is free. Toss him in Thresh Decks and enjoy the cheese as he’s by far the best pull from Thresh now.

As an example of how even just two good pulls from Invoke make A Sol live. Gold Sister+Written in stars on turn 8, The A Sol you just drew on turn 9. And you only need to play 3 other Celestial cards for the cheapest of the top end to level up Aurelion.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Aug 25, 2020

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

The only thing that makes A Sol potentially viable to me is that he requires zero support. He has no required synergies and levels himself up and fuels his own level up. But he's 10 mana that can't possibly win the turn he's played so it'll have to be something very different. Any deck that actually wants to stall to play him will still die horribly to Ezrael (who still exists for some reason).

No Wave fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Aug 25, 2020

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

No Wave posted:

The only thing that makes A Sol potentially viable to me is that he requires zero support. He has no required synergies and levels himself up and fuels his own level up. But he's 10 mana that can't possibly win the turn he's played so it'll have to be something very different.

He wins the turn after he’s played though, which is pretty terrifying. He’s a control finisher who demands an answer now or you just straight up lose, and actually he demands two answers because he’s got Spell-shield.

Also pretty much every single one of the cards his on play effect invokes will win you the game if unanswered too. Let alone if they’re free.

I imagine a fairly common end to a game will be someone dropping Aurelion, invoking Living Legends, and then next turn basically playing a board of big Celestial assholes and swinging to win.

Losing to an Ez combo deck isn’t specific to Aurelion Sol, and frankly Hush is burst speed and in Targon, which is perhaps the best answer to Ez possible. Actually yeah that’s the answer really, hold Hush in hand and burst speed silence Ezreal when he comes down, after all you get a chance to respond before they get to combo off.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Aug 25, 2020

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Invoke and Celestials are very strange. LoR has always felt like it was always doing it's own thing and now they are just straight up adding a ton of random card generation and Discover from Hearthstone into Targon and it's just weird to me.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Firebert posted:

Invoke and Celestials are very strange. LoR has always felt like it was always doing it's own thing and now they are just straight up adding a ton of random card generation and Discover from Hearthstone into Targon and it's just weird to me.

Nah, Legends of Runeterra has always been a lot of the good things in both Hearthstone and MtG stitched into a functional whole better than it's parts. Discover is straight up the best recieved mechanic ever printed in Hearthstone (to the point it is one of the only expansion mechanics to be made evergreen in that game) and this is far less RNG than actual discover. There's 22 cards, you're more likely to get minions than spells, and more likely to get lower costed cards than higher costed ones. Plus of the 9? cards that invoke, 3 of them specifically cut that number down to respectively 8 cards in the case of the Lunari low cost invoke and Aurelion Sol's high cost invoke, or 6 cards for the Solari mid-range invoke.

It's no stranger than Behold being have s pecific card in hand (an also enjoyed Hearthstone Mechanic) or any of the other narrow archetypes (discard comes to mind).

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Am I correct in understanding that today's the day?

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

CitizenKeen posted:

Am I correct in understanding that today's the day?

Possibly, although I think they moved to Thursday update schedule for Legends of Runeterra so that they didn’t blow themselves up doing both it and League of Legends updates on the same day.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
Patches are on Wednesdays :v:

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Pilchenstein posted:

Patches are on Wednesdays :v:

I'm so embarassed. Is Valorant Thursdays then?

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
I was wrong, sounds like to goes live tomorrow. I thought it went live on Thursdays (Pacific).

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

my iOS app just got the expansion update

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
https://playruneterra.com/en-us/news/patch-1-8-notes-call-of-the-mountain/

Fury of the North and Trifarian Assessor nerfs, major Lee Sin rework planned, and changes to how Ezreal levels up in the future

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Both my decks are currently Freljord (Trifarian Ashe and Teemojuani), and I did not feel like I was winning enough to be nerfed. But these are probably good nerfs, and why I'd rather play a digital game than a paper one.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

https://twitter.com/ASmallMan4/status/1298687455374110720?s=20

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Expeditions reset with the patch. Not sure if they will reset again tomorrow like they did that one time they switched the patch day from Tuesday to Thursday or it's just early this week for the patch.

Played one game with a drafted Darius/Daybreak/Invoke Deck. Played that 3 mana minion that let me invoke the 6 mana creature that gives you the lifesteal/elusive combo. Yeah, that card is really strong when played on curve in draft...

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
Thought I'd use up all my expedition tokens now that there's new cards and I'm ready to drink bleach after three games, invoke is the most tedious mechanic ever when everyone has to read every card because it's new and everyone is drafting nothing but invoke. Really wish they'd just let me trade the tokens in for epic capsules :v:

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
A lot of animations are sloooooooow too, I hope they speed them up a bit

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
Hot take: expeditions suck and they should add a faster way to cash in the tokens than drafting a full deck and surrendering, then waiting another twenty minutes to do it again :v:

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Lord_Magmar posted:

Nah, Legends of Runeterra has always been a lot of the good things in both Hearthstone and MtG stitched into a functional whole better than it's parts. Discover is straight up the best recieved mechanic ever printed in Hearthstone (to the point it is one of the only expansion mechanics to be made evergreen in that game) and this is far less RNG than actual discover. There's 22 cards, you're more likely to get minions than spells, and more likely to get lower costed cards than higher costed ones. Plus of the 9? cards that invoke, 3 of them specifically cut that number down to respectively 8 cards in the case of the Lunari low cost invoke and Aurelion Sol's high cost invoke, or 6 cards for the Solari mid-range invoke.

It's no stranger than Behold being have s pecific card in hand (an also enjoyed Hearthstone Mechanic) or any of the other narrow archetypes (discard comes to mind).
Having played it now, Invoke brings up the worst aspects of Hearthstone for me. If the Invokers were strictly along the lines of “Invoke X, Y, or Z cost cards.” it would be manageable, but since you have cards that just straight up pull from the gamut of low cost dorks and cantrips to absolute bombs it feels too swingy a random effect. I lost two games in expeditions just now because my opponent got cards to literally delete my champs whereas I got stuck with weenies or midrange dorks.

I have yet to play ranked, where invokers are probably too slow to show up, but it’s not a direction I personally want for the game. Especially since this this is first post-launch expansion and we already got a mechanic with a wide range of random effects. Note that I don’t think the mechanic is broken or bad: it’s just not for me.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

A lot of the invoke effects are slow or units so theoretically if you're both playing strong decks you should have the ability to play around some stuff (ie you can I think always attack after your opponent invokes if you have token, the only non-slow celestials don't affect the board). That doesn't mean much in draft and it's not surprising that discovering busted high end would be op in the mode.

I also think putting a silence effect in the invoke pool is just a mistake but whatever.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

CitizenKeen posted:

Both my decks are currently Freljord (Trifarian Ashe and Teemojuani), and I did not feel like I was winning enough to be nerfed. But these are probably good nerfs, and why I'd rather play a digital game than a paper one.

Sejuani/Ashe pushed me through gold in an afternoon of boredom, and it has an insane winrate in unranked. Easily 90%. Trifarian Assessor definitely needed something done to it, and I'll gladly take one more Mana over a power reduction.

Waterfall Watcher
Dec 17, 2018

How to ruin improve game sessions & family ties with one simple question.

-Would this be better if I used poison?
It's been like a month since I last played this, is the Teemo plus Heimer/Swain deck still alright?
Asking for myself, teemo RNG is the funniest poo poo.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

heimer is super dead and there are much better ways to play swain than with teemo but if you just want to meme then sure go nuts.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Pilchenstein posted:

Hot take: expeditions suck and they should add a faster way to cash in the tokens than drafting a full deck and surrendering, then waiting another twenty minutes to do it again :v:

Why would you do that instead of play?

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

PVP games take loving forever.

I can play an AI game in < 10 minutes, but invariably when I play versus a human it takes 20+

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

I haven't been doing that, I've been playing but they should absolutely just let you trade the tokens for capsules if you don't want to play the bad game mode.

Pants Donkey posted:

Note that I don’t think the mechanic is broken or bad: it’s just not for me.
Invoke is a garbage mechanic: I trounced someone in labs by invoking the obliterate spell 3 times and I just had someone invoke the "treasure trove but even dumber" spell against me to summon a 12/10 challenger and give it spellshield - they surrendered because I had a culling strike in hand and had just topdecked harsh winds but holy poo poo is this mechanic awful. Can't wait to see how much worse things get in future expansions if this is where we're at ideas wise by the third card set :v:

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Pants Donkey posted:

Having played it now, Invoke brings up the worst aspects of Hearthstone for me. If the Invokers were strictly along the lines of “Invoke X, Y, or Z cost cards.” it would be manageable, but since you have cards that just straight up pull from the gamut of low cost dorks and cantrips to absolute bombs it feels too swingy a random effect. I lost two games in expeditions just now because my opponent got cards to literally delete my champs whereas I got stuck with weenies or midrange dorks.

I have yet to play ranked, where invokers are probably too slow to show up, but it’s not a direction I personally want for the game. Especially since this this is first post-launch expansion and we already got a mechanic with a wide range of random effects. Note that I don’t think the mechanic is broken or bad: it’s just not for me.

Funny, I came here to basically post the same thing. I'll give it a fair shake, but Expeditions right now remind me of that Tavern Brawl where your deck is full of Discover cards.

breaks
May 12, 2001

Pilchenstein posted:

I haven't been doing that, I've been playing but they should absolutely just let you trade the tokens for capsules if you don't want to play the bad game mode.

They do though, just hit retire & claim before you start a trial and you can take your free capsule without drafting or playing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hauki
May 11, 2010

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

I have 25 expedition tokens left as of this post, and expeditions are exponentially less fun than just drafting mtg