Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Yeah that looks... way better than I anticipated?

edit: lovely page snipe - talkin' about Enola Holmes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Gonz posted:

You are too drat good at this, teagone. Bravo.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Still no Magic Carpet Ride, 0/10.

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

See THIS makes me want to watch it.

:cheers:

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

The MSJ posted:

Meanwhile, Henry Cavill is Sherlock and Millie Bobby Brown is his sister Enola Holmes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1d0Zf9sXlHk

Yeah, that looks like a lot of fun. Mycroft doesn't look at all like I imagined him in the books, though, where he is described as bright but excessively lazy. I liked Stephen Fry in that role. (As an aside, I've been listening to the Stephen Fry-narrated Sherlock audiobooks, and it turns out that Stephen Fry is a long-time Sherlock fan, and even joined the Sherlock Holmes Society as a teenager, which I think is great.)

Do they mention much of Holmes' mother in the books? I've read through them, but don't recall her being mentioned. I mean, It's clear that they're blazing their own path with this show, which is great, but I was just curious. I'll definitely tune in.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

DorianGravy posted:

it turns out that Stephen Fry is a long-time Sherlock fan, and even joined the Sherlock Holmes Society as a teenager

This may be the least surprising fact I've ever learned. But yes, that trailer looks delightful for its intended audience.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

DorianGravy posted:

I mean, It's clear that they're blazing their own path with this show, which is great, but I was just curious. I'll definitely tune in.

I feel like I should mention that this is a film, not a show.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Double post, but I Wikipedia'd the movie, and found out that not only is this based on a series of books, which is cool, but came across this tidbit.

Wikipedia posted:

The Conan Doyle Estate filed a lawsuit against Netflix over the film, claiming it violates copyright by depicting Sherlock Holmes as having emotions, an aspect of the character which they argue does not fall under the public domain as he was only described as having emotions in stories published between 1923 to 1927, and the copyright for the stories published in that period still belong to the estate.

gently caress copyright laws and gently caress them. That is probably the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

they just tryna get some money that's all

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Fartbox posted:

they just tryna get some money that's all

But it's dumb. I've read the Sherlock Holmes books. He has emotions. Granted, they're often just excitement over the case he's working, or amusement over some aspect about himself that Watson doesn't understand (like how he finds it funny that Watson is frustrated that he doesn't know that Earth is not the center of the universe IN THE VERY FIRST SHERLOCK STORY). But those are emotions. That's just plain dumb.

Copyright laws, as they exist, are dumb. I can see an argument over copyright laws existing until the death of the author. Maybe some time limit after the creation of the work itself in case of an early death of the author or something. But to try to use them like this (or, in the more extreme and successful case, like Disney does) is just silly.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

The MSJ posted:

More Ridley Scott's Religions & Robots sounds good to me.

Meanwhile, Henry Cavill is Sherlock and Millie Bobby Brown is his sister Enola Holmes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1d0Zf9sXlHk

I've been looking forward to this. I've been buying the Enola Holmes books and graphic novels for my goddaughter since she was 10ish. I've never read the books/graphic novels myself, so looking forward to her geeking out over the movie and telling me all about them :3:

teagone fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Aug 25, 2020

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

feedmyleg posted:

This may be the least surprising fact I've ever learned. But yes, that trailer looks delightful for its intended audience.

Is the intended audience adults with no children asking for a friend

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

kiimo posted:

Is the intended audience adults with no children asking for a friend

It looks like a "fun for all ages" movie. And, since I am in that age range, I plan to enjoy it, so you should too. I'm sure Sherlock Holmes has fans across the entire spectrum of people.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Also, Henry Cavill :allears:

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MA-JpynpC5c
Portrait of a Lady on Fire, starring Kate Winslet and Saoirse Ronan

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

teagone posted:

Also, Henry Cavill :allears:

Yeah it aint for me but any opportunity to see Henry Cavill have some fun in a role is probably worth the price of admission.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

feedmyleg posted:

Would it be marginally more surprising to learn that not only is Kareem Abdul-Jabbar a Sherlock superfan, he's also written multiple novels?

smug n stuff posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MA-JpynpC5c
Portrait of a Lady on Fire, starring Kate Winslet and Saoirse Ronan

I'm glad ammonites are finally getting the big screen treatment they deserve.

Cacator fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Aug 25, 2020

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Cacator posted:

I'm glad ammonites are finally getting the big screen treatment they deserve.

Kabuto movie when

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

thrawn527 posted:

But it's dumb. I've read the Sherlock Holmes books. He has emotions. Granted, they're often just excitement over the case he's working, or amusement over some aspect about himself that Watson doesn't understand (like how he finds it funny that Watson is frustrated that he doesn't know that Earth is not the center of the universe IN THE VERY FIRST SHERLOCK STORY). But those are emotions. That's just plain dumb.

Copyright laws, as they exist, are dumb. I can see an argument over copyright laws existing until the death of the author. Maybe some time limit after the creation of the work itself in case of an early death of the author or something. But to try to use them like this (or, in the more extreme and successful case, like Disney does) is just silly.

The Conan Doyle estate are basically copyright trolls. They threaten to sue anyone who doesn't play ball with them even though they would lose in court because the stories anyone actually want to adapt are all in the public domain. The studios don't want any trouble so they just pay them off.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Cacator posted:

Would it be marginally more surprising to learn that not only is Kareem Abdul-Jabbar a Sherlock superfan, he's also written multiple novels?

When do we get the TV show about a guy who's a star basketball player by day and a kung fu detective by night? He's also an author who writes about his exploits so it's him narrating the show with purple prose the whole time.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

muscles like this! posted:

The Conan Doyle estate are basically copyright trolls. They threaten to sue anyone who doesn't play ball with them even though they would lose in court because the stories anyone actually want to adapt are all in the public domain. The studios don't want any trouble so they just pay them off.

I think they have sued all the Sherlock TV shows out there. I know there was this huge scare with BBC's Sherlock and fans were freaking out because it was gonna get cancelled because of their copyright troll poo poo.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Cacator posted:

He's a legit modern day Renaissance man, I'm not surprised at all.

Has he ever gotten a cameo in any of the recent adaptations?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Desperado Bones posted:

I think they have sued all the Sherlock TV shows out there. I know there was this huge scare with BBC's Sherlock and fans were freaking out because it was gonna get cancelled because of their copyright troll poo poo.

Probably would've been for the best at this point, in all honesty.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Mat Cauthon posted:

He's a legit modern day Renaissance man, I'm not surprised at all.

Has he ever gotten a cameo in any of the recent adaptations?

"Wait a minute, I know you, you're Kareem Abdul Jabbar! You play basketball for the Los Angeles Lakers!"

"I'm sorry son but you must have me mistaken with somebody else. My name's Greg Lestrade. I'm a detective."

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Vagabundo posted:

Probably would've been for the best at this point, in all honesty.

Yes, what a shame the show turned to trash so fast, I couldn't even finish the last season :smith:
*First season was good, second season was so-so, third I watched but realized it was cringy as hell, fourth I just couldn't anymore :lol:

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6vISJUayoE

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/_elvishpresley_/status/1298060930367004679

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Why

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

:lol: Some of those beats line up - esp the punching.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Appropriate music for a movie about a cat(woman) lover.

By the way, if you want to see the Dune trailer, you can. The catch is you have to see Tenet in theaters.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I'm never going to see a movie in order to see a specific movie trailer ever again it is 20 drat 20.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Every Arizona Harkins theater opens tomorrow morning.

The Alamo Drafthouse in Tempe also opens tomorrow morning.

Got a ticket to see Tenet on the 31st.

I had COVID in early February, per my antibody test that came back last week, so I shall be going to see New Mutants, Bill & Ted 3 and Tenet next week. Glory hallelujah.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It’s possible you can get Covid again. So.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

CelticPredator posted:

It’s possible you can get Covid again. So.

True, but i'm going to go early in the morning to avoid any potential crowds. I think all the theaters are doing limited capacity for screenings, too, and are putting buffer zones so people aren't sitting too close to each other.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Gonz posted:

Every Arizona Harkins theater opens tomorrow morning.

The Alamo Drafthouse in Tempe also opens tomorrow morning.

Got a ticket to see Tenet on the 31st.

I had COVID in early February, per my antibody test that came back last week, so I shall be going to see New Mutants, Bill & Ted 3 and Tenet next week. Glory hallelujah.

Risking covid to myself and others to support a chain where upper management doesn't do poo poo about things like this to be a diligent consumer. gently caress yeah, America :patriot:

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

GrandpaPants posted:

Risking covid to myself and others to support a chain where upper management doesn't do poo poo about things like this to be a diligent consumer. gently caress yeah, America :patriot:

I'm going to Harkins in Queen Creek, AZ, though.

EDIT: Thought it was in Queen Creek; it's in Gilbert.

EDIT X2: Alamo Drafthouse apparently isn't accepting cash at any locations right now, so i'd imagine that would hurt them when they reopen.

Gonz fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Aug 27, 2020

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

The thing that occured to me watching this is exactly how tired I am of a gritty Batman. I really want a Batman that has an ounce of whimsy and wide-eyed spectacle. Hell, I would like a big budget Hollywood movie without the gravity of franchise and IP, just a completely original idea that is told with optimism and levity.

One that isn't Dolittle.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

SomeJazzyRat posted:

The thing that occured to me watching this is exactly how tired I am of a gritty Batman. I really want a Batman that has an ounce of whimsy and wide-eyed spectacle. Hell, I would like a big budget Hollywood movie without the gravity of franchise and IP, just a completely original idea that is told with optimism and levity.

One that isn't Dolittle.

So are we talkin' about something inbetween Adam West Batman and Joel Schumacher Batman? Because i'd be down for that. Gritty Batman has been done to death and a Batman story where he's actually the world's greatest detective and isn't facing nuclear obliteration might be a nice change of pace.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

On a sidenote, I have still not seen Cats and i'm not even sure I want to watch it when it's on pay cable.

Is it one of those movies where "It's so bad, it's good, but it's also so bad" and it must be seen to be believed?

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Gonz posted:

On a sidenote, I have still not seen Cats and i'm not even sure I want to watch it when it's on pay cable.

Is it one of those movies where "It's so bad, it's good, but it's also so bad" and it must be seen to be believed?

Yes but only if you're under the influence of any sort of substance

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Tim Whatley posted:

Yes but only if you're under the influence of any sort of substance

Does being drunk count? Or is something more potent required?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Oh drunk will 100% do it

Very drunk.