Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I carried the chalice when I was 4-player co-oping it when OG released. Kinda let me decide where we were all going because I'd leave anyone else out in the fog if they didn't feel like following.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Replaying FF13 and I forgot the Auto Battle sucks rear end. It never ever picks any of the good moves/AoE poo poo unless under specific circumstances.

Imagine playing through the hope/snow segment and you try sentinel for the first time and all you get is a full bar of provoke wasting your time and then spamming steelguard. You'd never even learn vigilance wasa thing or how insanely well it just destroys the boss and bigger enemies with a few buffs up.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
i dont think episode ardyn hurt his character arc

thank god they ran out of money to do the actual plot-making GBS threads dlcs, which were of course novelized

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I love Final Fantasy but I will never read an FF novel

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Now that Heavensward is free for anyone to play, I'm thinking back on it, and I think, I could be wrong, but I think it's canon that the WoL solo'd the Knights of the Round and Thordan.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Relin posted:

i dont think episode ardyn hurt his character arc

thank god they ran out of money to do the actual plot-making GBS threads dlcs, which were of course novelized

I'm reading that novel right now and just finished Aranea's chapter

I'm legit mad that they didn't get the chance to make it because her chapter would have been metal as gently caress if they pulled it off (kinda wish they scrapped Episodes Gladiolus and shifted Prompto's stuff to the main loving story as a sacrifice for this)

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Gologle posted:

Now that Heavensward is free for anyone to play, I'm thinking back on it, and I think, I could be wrong, but I think it's canon that the WoL solo'd the Knights of the Round and Thordan.

Generally speaking, the story acts as if you did most of this poo poo solo, and a lot of the references to "your fellow adventures" like in Stormblood were added to the English localization and are absent in the Japanese text. Basically, anything that isn't 24-man it's pretty safe to conclude that the story treats it as you conquering it alone.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

"You'll have to face this guy alone, unless your vast network of adventurer friends just happens to include some who sailed over here for a fishing trip."

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Namnesor posted:

Generally speaking, the story acts as if you did most of this poo poo solo, and a lot of the references to "your fellow adventures" like in Stormblood were added to the English localization and are absent in the Japanese text. Basically, anything that isn't 24-man it's pretty safe to conclude that the story treats it as you conquering it alone.

With two exceptions in Shadowbringers.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Clarste posted:

With two exceptions in Shadowbringers.

Those two exceptions are really hype tho.

Especially the last one made me go "gently caress YEAH!" when the little handwave happens

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Bruceski posted:

"You'll have to face this guy alone, unless your vast network of adventurer friends just happens to include some who sailed over here for a fishing trip."

The hero flash mob is the true secret victory tactic for the WoL.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

I like the line of dialogue at the beginning of the Yojimbo trial where he notes how there are eight people here when he specifically challenged you to a duel

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Those two exceptions are really hype tho.

Especially the last one made me go "gently caress YEAH!" when the little handwave happens

God that last one and the lead up is just so drat good.

Even if the rest of the expansion was bad like Stormblood that scene still would've made it all worthwhile (thankfully, the Shadowbringers expansion is awesome from the start).

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
We talking about the most recent throw down?

Yeah that was awesome.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Apparently after beating a dungeon in multiplayer in Crystal Chronicles Remastered you only have the option to either replay the dungeon or disband your party and then have to reform it when you pick another dungeon? You can't even hang out in the towns together or chat with each other's families or anything. That's pretty dumb. Kinda just goes against the whole spirit of the game, that you're going on an adventure together as fellow members of a caravan.

EDIT: So also the host is the only one who actually gets Myrrh from doing the dungeon and advances forward in time, and the other players have to do the dungeon all over again to get their own drops of Myrrh if they want to move on to the next year :wtf:

Augus fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Aug 26, 2020

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia

Augus posted:

Apparently after beating a dungeon in multiplayer in Crystal Chronicles Remastered you only have the option to either replay the dungeon or disband your party and then have to reform it when you pick another dungeon? You can't even hang out in the towns together or chat with each other's families or anything. That's pretty dumb. Kinda just goes against the whole spirit of the game, that you're going on an adventure together as fellow members of a caravan.

EDIT: So also the host is the only one who actually gets Myrrh from doing the dungeon and advances forward in time, and the other players have to do the dungeon all over again to get their own drops of Myrrh if they want to move on to the next year :wtf:

How does this play single player? If that's already been answered I'm sorry this thread is tremendous.

So far it sounds like I want to stay away...

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I enjoyed playing the game single player well enough with the original release and the new version doesn't seem to have changed any of that. There's gonna be a free version that lets you play the first couple of dungeons so you can try it for yourself.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
Maybe I'll get it then if the price comes down some or I cop a good used deal.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Augus posted:

Huh?

I've never played CC so maybe there's something I'm missing, but this sounds like the game actively discourages you from playing with others.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Zurtilik posted:

How does this play single player? If that's already been answered I'm sorry this thread is tremendous.

single player is... not very good. you basically lose out on everything that makes the game worth playing, like working together with your friends, and making anyone but you carry the poo poo bucket

e: there are also a number of puzzles that are either easier or at least more convenient in mp

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Aug 26, 2020

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Augus posted:

That might not really be that bad of a thing imo. At least for several of the playthroughs of the original, there would be several dungeons I'd go through over and over either for trying to get specific drops from enemies or bosses. Depending on how much they expand the equipment and crafting (or make it harder/easier in a single file) then replaying dungeons a lot isn't that crazy of a prospect to me.

However, if everyone has different towns, then I guess that means you won't have individual family trades to level up now? It was one part of the game I kind of liked, was having the different family trades to net you items that other families could also get access to. They could just spread out the family unique stuff to different dungeons/blacksmiths/tailors, but idk I'll miss building up your town with awesome families.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
I don't remember if this was ever clarified, but does Crystal Chronicles Remastered have local multi or not? I'm interested in getting it to play with my roommate but not if she has to buy a copy, too.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Namnesor posted:

I don't remember if this was ever clarified, but does Crystal Chronicles Remastered have local multi or not? I'm interested in getting it to play with my roommate but not if she has to buy a copy, too.

Emphatically does not. Even people on your friends list have to go through an equivalent of the matchmaking system.

The free version has everything up to the final dungeon, but not the new postgame.

A Cup of Ramen
Oct 16, 2012

wait wait does that mean if I played through CC on the lite version with my friend we'd be able to do the story together till the final dungeon, which he would then have to do solo?

PhoenixFlaccus
Jul 15, 2011

KFC Famous Bowl
About 8 hours into X and this is by far the most interested I've been in a FF story. It's been a joy. Except I just played blitzball which was infuriating. Tried a couple practice rounds too and am guessing my teams stats just suck rear end.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

PhoenixFlaccus posted:

About 8 hours into X and this is by far the most interested I've been in a FF story. It's been a joy. Except I just played blitzball which was infuriating. Tried a couple practice rounds too and am guessing my teams stats just suck rear end.

Worst case scenario, if you get a point lead you can grab the ball and swim behind your own goalie. The AI has no idea what to do and will just swim in circles the entire time.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Namnesor posted:

No local multiplayer. It's always possible they might patch it in eventually but I wouldn't get my hopes up.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

PhoenixFlaccus posted:

FFX does a pretty good job setting up a story where you aren't supposed to anything and you learn things as you go. It was my favorite in my teens.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

PhoenixFlaccus posted:

The Aurochs have a history of losing for a reason, they suck out loud. Replace them with free agents and any Al Bhed Psyches who don't renew their contracts.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

And Tyler Too! posted:

The Aurochs have a history of losing for a reason, they suck out loud. Replace them with free agents and any Al Bhed Psyches who don't renew their contracts.

Just ask any Al Bhed you meet if they wanna play with you. They're cool and good.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Man crystal chronicles is not sounding great. Since multiplayer is only relegated to dungeons it means you have to manage the town families yourself so you'd need to do multiple runs to keep different shops up to date.

Top that off with the fact that only the host gets the drop items you'll be running though the dungeons a lot more then before.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Yeah reviews are in the 60 range. I generally don’t trust reviews 100% but 60s are like, something about this is fundamentally broken

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I mean, the multiplayer is the worst of local and the worst of remote together so 60 sounds fair.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
I think the Aurochs eventually mostly end up decent if not top of the charts (Keepa has the highest SH in the game at 99 but doesn't naturally get any particularly good techs), the Goers amusingly flame out hard relatively early on, the Psyches are strong for most of the levels but mostly fall off at the top (besides Nimrook being the best goalie by far), and the Beasts have some terrors at the top of the levels but take a long time to reach that power. The Glories and the Fangs never reach extremes - the guados are the overall fastest team members and the ronso are the overall strongest, but they tend to have some deficiencies.

But that doesn't tell a lot about the path from 1-99 because doing a lot of trading can let you mold your team as you go from using early stars to characters that peak in the middle levels (40-50) before moving on to the top 99 talent. Like Brother's great early on but Ropp is one of the best players at max level.

Alternatively you either get a good enough team to cheese the necessary wins for Wakka or you ignore Blitzball entirely.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Mustached Demon posted:

Just ask any Al Bhed you meet if they wanna play with you. They're cool and good.

Hogama posted:

I think the Aurochs eventually mostly end up decent if not top of the charts (Keepa has the highest SH in the game at 99 but doesn't naturally get any particularly good techs), the Goers amusingly flame out hard relatively early on, the Psyches are strong for most of the levels but mostly fall off at the top (besides Nimrook being the best goalie by far), and the Beasts have some terrors at the top of the levels but take a long time to reach that power. The Glories and the Fangs never reach extremes - the guados are the overall fastest team members and the ronso are the overall strongest, but they tend to have some deficiencies.

But that doesn't tell a lot about the path from 1-99 because doing a lot of trading can let you mold your team as you go from using early stars to characters that peak in the middle levels (40-50) before moving on to the top 99 talent. Like Brother's great early on but Ropp is one of the best players at max level.

Alternatively you either get a good enough team to cheese the necessary wins for Wakka or you ignore Blitzball entirely.

This is the right choice.

FFX is my favorite FF ever and I'm glad you're enjoying yourself PhoenixFlaccus. But one of its few flaws are its minigames and sidequests. They all suck.

Also I came here to post this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcQQ2_HA8SY

This song used to be like the trigger to set off X-2 mockery but even as somebody who doesn't really like X-2, I've always loved this song.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Its super easy to build a blitzball team with free agents. Wedge is the most unique in that as he levels up, his stats adjust to different positions. Some FAs will cap out quickly but usually at that point, other teams are dropping their players in favor of other FAs so you can start signing players that already have experience.

Basically, sign the following players and they stay good forever:
- Ropp (defense)
- Brother (MF), Tatts first if you plan on playing early
- Wedge (initially forward then defender)
- Vilucha (forward)

Sign Nimrook when he becomes available as your goalie. Jumal is a good placeholder.

That will basically be enough to win you all the league and to run up the score.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
pretty disappointed in all the Crystal Chronicles Remastered news coming out, ughhhh

My girlfriend and her best friend were extremely hype for this, and I was looking forward to joining in with them. Now it sounds like they've cut out practically all of the most important parts of the game, and made it so the gameplay is extremely inconvenient

Square-Enix, why

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

7R and then 14 5.3... too much of a dream to bat 1.000

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Played some CC with a buddy and I would almost call the multiplayer actively hostile. Really sucks to have to run through each dungeon for each of your friends since only the host actually gets anything beyond their artifact at the end. Not to mention they can't live in your village. Very odd design choices here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Welp, gently caress that then. All of that makes CC a real hard pass.