Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
I'm fine with linear missions, RDR2's big issue is that it's main combat mechanics, while pretty viscerally satisfying, don't really have the complexity to remain engaging when you do so much of it throughout the main story. On top of that, the disposable nature of individual enemies warps the mission design in a way that harms the story; most of the jobs you do are such bloodbaths that it undermines the underlying threat of the law chasing after the gang when it feels like you could outgun anybody, and undermines the tension in when the main character is being threatened by only a few people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Linearity is fine until it gets so linear that going "I'm gonna run around this building and flank them" makes the game go "You ran too far away from the fight" and slap you with a game over.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

"Game Over. Please deposit forty quarters."

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

From what little I've played of RDR2, the linear nature of its story missions isn't so much the problem as the linearity being so crushing that you can get a game over in the middle of trying to figure out what the game wants you to actually do. It's a combination of linearity and bad signposting, I suppose. It reminds me of those PS1-era adventure games which would give you a game over without making it clear what you did wrong or even what you were supposed to do.

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

Casey Finnigan posted:

I like the bits where I can walk around the towns and talk to people :shrug:
Currently playing Trails from Zero and 70% of my 50 hours spent with it so far (about 50%~? done) has been running around talking to npcs. I would change nothing about this game.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

JordanKai posted:

From what little I've played of RDR2, the linear nature of its story missions isn't so much the problem as the linearity being so crushing that you can get a game over in the middle of trying to figure out what the game wants you to actually do. It's a combination of linearity and bad signposting, I suppose. It reminds me of those PS1-era adventure games which would give you a game over without making it clear what you did wrong or even what you were supposed to do.

the game loves to do poo poo like make your horse suddenly slow down to a crawl and pull over so you dismount, then have characters literally yell at you to get back on your horse if you dismount before you come to a complete stop, so you can ride another meter and trigger a cutscene

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Farm Frenzy posted:

the game loves to do poo poo like make your horse suddenly slow down to a crawl and pull over so you dismount, then have characters literally yell at you to get back on your horse if you dismount before you come to a complete stop, so you can ride another meter and trigger a cutscene

yea it's not 'linear' in the sense of 'but what if I don't WANT to shoot Dirty Dan???' 'well the story needs Dirty Dan to die so deal with it', it's linear in the sense of 'YOU HAVE ENTERED THE SALOON FROM THE SIDE, NOT THE FRONT, MISSION FAILED'

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Red Dead Redemption 2 would be amazing if it were actually framed as you controlling the actor portraying the character and you fail missions for loving up your cues

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Macaluso posted:

I can see where that might come from, I generally prefer linear games and experiences too. But the way the tweet thread described what he did, I don't understand how Rockstar didn't have like a backup cutscene or something for that, because it sounds like there was nothing stopping him from doing it. You can even be lazy in the sense that even if you go through the window, entering the room at all would trigger the cutscene where you come through the door anyway. Plenty of games do that kind of thing. But the way it's handled here is like the worst way they could've gone about it

i like a mix of both and if the games story/themes "fit" the mission structure. but yeah, i like when games allow your and than reward you for being creative. i get what RDR2 is doing because its doing its slow burn HBO scene and every shot has to work perfectly but its still disappointing.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Augus posted:

I dont think the problem is necessarily the linear storytelling but more that Rockstar mission structure is a nightmare

Yeah the sprawling open world that is great to freely explore and immerse yourself in, the story and Rockstar's mission design are all working at cross purposes.

The world and the story I loved both, but they kinda don't fit to each other a lot of the time. And the mission design is terrible and dated.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

BFC posted:

Currently playing Trails from Zero and 70% of my 50 hours spent with it so far (about 50%~? done) has been running around talking to npcs. I would change nothing about this game.

Currently on Trails in the Sky SC and I absolutely love how the world seems to actually acknowledge your presence and accomplishments as you progress.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Alaois posted:

Red Dead Redemption 2 would be amazing if it were actually framed as you controlling the actor portraying the character and you fail missions for loving up your cues

That sounds like a good premise for a sequel to Call of Juarez: The Gunslinger.

Dang, the MS-DOS Doom soundtrack goes harder than I remembered.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

How were there three more seasons of 13 Reasons Why, a show with a premise designed to work for exactly 13 episodes? Unless it became an anthology show, which google tells me it didn’t.

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Currently on Trails in the Sky SC and I absolutely love how the world seems to actually acknowledge your presence and accomplishments as you progress.
It really makes you care about the world when you can name that one weird lighthouse keeper in the second area, did a menial side quest that got you a funny scene with him, and get to revisit him multiple times and he's not just glued to one spot in the floor. And that a startling amount of NPCs are about that complex if not more so.

I'd never wish that level of work on anyone but it rocks and is basically what people say JRPG worlds do for them.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Max Wilco posted:

I like Mafia 2 and 3 (1, not so much, but maybe the upcoming remaster will fix my problems with it). However, what I don't get is why you spend all this time putting together an open world, and then just relegate it to set dressing. Mafia 2 had nothing to do in its open-world except collect wanted posters with the devs faces on them. People criticize Mafia 3's missions for being repetitive, but the open-world there factored in the order you tackled them, and how you approached each area.

2 got dicked around by 2K, so a whole slate of side content got chopped out and then reformulated as crappy DLC. And even then there's still a bunch of outright cut content, IIRC.

Alaois posted:

Bring back Stuntman.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Stuntman is great and I love it.

But also it's awful and I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Red Dead Reshoots

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Dragonatrix posted:

"OVERTAKE ON THE LEFT"
"GET CLOSE TO THE VEHICLE"
"HIT THE BOXES!"
"CUT! THAT WAS TOO SLOW!"

I didn't even play the game, but I still feel traumatized.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Aug 27, 2020

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

A Sometimes Food posted:

The world and the story I loved both, but they kinda don't fit to each other a lot of the time. And the mission design is terrible and dated.

I don't even think "dated" is the right word because they did it better in their older games.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZMqvjrp5ec

I like Isaac Arthur's science fiction and science future thought experiments, but this one has to do with future forms of government. Considering the shitstorm you Americans are in at the moment, it's nice to imagine what a different form of government might look like in a future where we don't all die.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

JordanKai posted:

That sounds like a good premise for a sequel to Call of Juarez: The Gunslinger.

This was actually a subplot in westerado: double barreled

Scorched Spitz
Dec 12, 2011

Dragonatrix posted:

Y'know, given Rockstar's love of cinema and the linearity of their mission structure, I wonder why Stuntman-esque side missions haven't popped up in GTA yet.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UG2YyT2aXA

new History-Makers video this time about Europeans "technically" first historian least in the modern classic sense/rankin sense of what a historian is

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Aug 27, 2020

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Groovelord Neato posted:

I don't even think "dated" is the right word because they did it better in their older games.

The infamy of The Driver says otherwise.

Also while there were less restrictions in the older games, their mechanics were also vastly jankier so the likelihood of flipping your car 10 minutes into a mission and being forced to completely restart it because what are checkpoints kinda counterbalances things.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

John Murdoch posted:

The infamy of The Driver says otherwise.

Also while there were less restrictions in the older games, their mechanics were also vastly jankier so the likelihood of flipping your car 10 minutes into a mission and being forced to completely restart it because what are checkpoints kinda counterbalances things.

A lot of people probably never saw anything past that parking garage.

Man, thinking about Driver reminds me that I still want to see the 1978 film The Driver (upon which the games borrows a lot from). I wanted to get it on Blu-Ray, but it was only a limited release thing. :argh:

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Max Wilco posted:

A lot of people probably never saw anything past that parking garage.

Man, thinking about Driver reminds me that I still want to see the 1978 film The Driver (upon which the games borrows a lot from). I wanted to get it on Blu-Ray, but it was only a limited release thing. :argh:

not Driver, The Driver, the mission from GTA: Vice CIty where you had to race the fat guy to convince him to be the getaway driver for the bank heist

marathon Stairmaster sesh
Apr 28, 2009

ALL HAIL CEO NUGGET
1988-PRESENT

For further context of that mission: You had to race said fat guy in a car slower than the one he drives. You couldn't use whatever fast car you brought to the mission marker either, you had to do it in the car the mission gives you.

Scorched Spitz
Dec 12, 2011
As an extra kick in the nuts, he doesn't even do his loving job. He rolls up to the bank and gets gunned down immediately.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

marathon Stairmaster sesh posted:

For further context of that mission: You had to race said fat guy in a car slower than the one he drives. You couldn't use whatever fast car you brought to the mission marker either, you had to do it in the car the mission gives you.

iirc they even make it so the game despawns any vehicles around the area to make sure you don't place a faster one nearby, and trying to use a cheat to spawn a faster vehicle would make you explode.

Also when the police get on you for street racing they completely ignore the guy

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Sleeping Dogs has a habit of doing this sort of thing. I love the game and I've replayed several times, but it’s extremely picky about what you’re allowed to bring with you into story missions. There are plenty of special costumes available, some of which come with unique bonuses or weapons, but they're locked out more often than not.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Leal posted:

Also when the police get on you for street racing they completely ignore the guy
Most of the cop cars in that mission are scripted to spawn at certain points and beeline for you, or have a scripted crash with each other if you don't get in the way. They also don't spawn in the same places on every attempt, I think there's three spawn points in total and they'll appear in two of them.

I 100%'d Stuntman, so to me "The Driver" falls somewhere between incredibly easy and mildly challenging depending on the cop car spawns. :v: I never did beat Driver the video game, though.

edit: The fact you're in a slower car (which isn't even that slow, as the Sentinel is one of the most solid getaway cars in the game because it has a good balance of speed, handling and durability) wouldn't normally be so bad because his overpowered muscle car tends to slide around a lot and you'd make up the difference in the corners, but they also gave him perfect handling so welp

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Aug 28, 2020

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
The secret trick to The Driver is that you can kill the guy you're racing against, but not blow up his car. If you snipe him through the windshield, you can take your time and win easily. There's a couple good spots for it but the bridge nearby is best, since you can setup a barricade for it too.

Or you can just, like, do it as a normal race and win easily enough. As far as hard VC missions go, it's no RC Helicopter demolition

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Dragonatrix posted:

As far as hard VC missions go, it's no RC Helicopter demolition
The RC plane mission where you're bombing Cuban gang cars and boats is more annoying because at least the demolition mission had stationary targets and the helicopter was more maneuverable than the useless RC Baron.

If you ask me, all of the worst missions in Vice City involve babysitting worthless AI companions who refuse to follow you unless you're almost literally holding their hand. loving Lance.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Bakeneko posted:

Sleeping Dogs has a habit of doing this sort of thing. I love the game and I've replayed several times, but it’s extremely picky about what you’re allowed to bring with you into story missions. There are plenty of special costumes available, some of which come with unique bonuses or weapons, but they're locked out more often than not.

There's a series of missions that get you a James-Bond-esque supercar equipped with missiles and guns. ABSOLUTELY NOTHING prevents you from taking this on the random racing missions and blowing away the competition and I love it for that.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Yeah that one owns. Once I unlocked the autodrive my favourite pastime would be to set a location on the other side of Hong Kong and see how many copa I could gun down with the roof gatling gun turret.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://twitter.com/gamemakerstk/status/1299323212401082370?s=20

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Notch's journey to be this generation's vastly less interesting Howard Hughes marches on.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME
You can take a neckbeard out of the basement but you can't take the basement out of a neckbeard.

No.1 Special
Apr 4, 2011
bobvids - Bloober Team Bites - How the ‘Layers of Fear’ Dev Copy/Pasted Their Way to Notoriety

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_uD7gxIF2s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
'Drop the politics' is such a weird thing to say to someone complaining about and trying to avoid election ads playing alongside their content.

I mean it makes sense when you translate 'politics' to 'making fun of big strong daddy trump' but still funny.