Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Yeah I really don't get what they were thinking. They took an already mediocre game and stripped away the few elements that made it unique and interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Sounds like Yoship should have been in charge...

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Ibblebibble posted:

Sounds like Yoship should have been in charge...

Crystal Chronicles is now full of catgirls, bunnies, Ascians and everything is a Primal.

It's also translated by Koji-Fox and Team so everything is a pun.

There's also a Gundam Homage that's really cool but not that fun to play.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
I'm having fun with Crystal Chronicles but then again I was never going to bother with the multiplayer, I didn't use it on the GC and I'm not doing that now, it's just as easy as I remembered though, I've cleared every dungeon up to Jack Moshet twice without dying.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

stev posted:

Yeah I really don't get what they were thinking. They took an already mediocre game and stripped away the few elements that made it unique and interesting.

actually the really cool and unique parts of CC are the story, area designs, and music

which is why it's still an ok game in single player.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

It just sounds more suited for single player and pairing up with online randos then playing with friends now.

I'm gonna try the trial but probably gonna break out the old GBAs and play the original version.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

yeah but like, why would anyone join a random session when you won't even get anything out of it? will people really be grinding mats enough to populate runs?

that choice really just kills the mp almost entirely

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Only for stat boosts really.

It's just really weird how they decided to go about this.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
It makes total lazy sense. They just replaced the local I/O with network I/O and ignored building any sort of state and presence tracking for the other people. Dungeon Siege 3 is similar but at least it saved the second character in the hosts save IIRC.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

There's a lot of loving loading in CC, I didn't notice it back in the day because everything took forever to load but jesus christ it feels like half my playtime is loading screens.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

no the loading screens are just really long now. definitely weren't on gc

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I decided to give looting goodies out of FF12's Great Crystal at around lv50 a go.

This is the stupidest dungeon. Maybe later when the undead assholes guarding the door release things aren't as horrifying to be around.

Mustached Demon fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Aug 27, 2020

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
I've never played Crystal Chronicles. It's a shame to hear about the online stuff being bad. but i'll give it a shot.

A Cup of Ramen
Oct 16, 2012

I'm trying to give CC a shot but it won't even let me connect to two friends I convinced to try it with me :smith:

We just keep getting time out errors like two minutes into a dungeon.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

there should really be local multiplayer in this game. yeah the original used the GBA screens for menuing but c'mon they could've found a way to work around that

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Goddamn I am such a nerd.

Current FF14 project, I am recording the cut scenes for my main canon class with glamors that don't suck just because.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I'm surprised Crystal Chronicles is only 30, considering everything else I was expecting them to charge a full 60

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Leal posted:

I'm surprised Crystal Chronicles is only 30, considering everything else I was expecting them to charge a full 60

It's got nearly 40 bucks worth of DLC.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Well that answers that then

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Judge Tesla posted:

It's got nearly 40 bucks worth of DLC.

What DLC does it even have? Costumes?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Your character talks, say yelling out what spell they're casting. Over and over :shepface:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Yeah reviews are in the 60 range. I generally don’t trust reviews 100% but 60s are like, something about this is fundamentally broken

FF:CC was a significant step backwards from the Mana series and now the remake takes that and fundamentally ruins a core aspect (multiplayer) on a level that's almost impressive so having bad review scores isn't surprising.

The multiplayer being a trainwreck too the game from a "maybe I'll get this and actually play with friends" to "nope" instantly. Under no circumstance is it ever acceptable to make a game with co-op that only gives progress to the host.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
yeah, I'm super disappointed because now trying to play through with my wife and other online friends is not going to be a fun experience at all. I'm trying to think about how to make it better, this is what I can come up with that doesn't seem terrible.

The Dungeon Problem: After completing a dungeon, give every player the option to collect a drop of Myrrh (if it's possible for their version of the world map).

The Tipa Problem: two ides come to mind
A. Get the option to invite other players to your town, same as if it were a dungeon. (No random matchmaking for this)
B. For the annual festival, get the family NPCs (or just the father) of people you most recently played with. This will make it seem like Tipa is a lot bigger than it looks...which honestly it's pretty big already so that's cool.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Ethiser posted:

What DLC does it even have? Costumes?

Costumes of characters from the various Crystal Chronicles games, including the two Wiiware ones only I and maybe 4 people bought.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

That's a bummer. I love the art design and soundtrack and general fairy-tale aesthetic of CC and was looking forward to finally trying it out in multiplayer.

I might still pick it up on sale just because I remember enjoying the single player quite a bit back in the day, but $30 for that is pretty steep.

Why is like every single FF remaster / port such a trainwreck lol, it cannot seriously be that hard to make something that will both earn a shitload of nostalgia dollars and also not piss everyone off. I still can't believe that in 2020 the only way to play the SNES-era FFs without heinously ugly mobile phone graphics and menus is through illegal emulation or owning a working console that came out 30 years ago and paying out the nose for a cartridge.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Leal posted:

Your character talks, say yelling out what spell they're casting. Over and over :shepface:

you can pause and go into options and turn all of the voice acting off. highly recommend it

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Augus posted:

you can pause and go into options and turn all of the voice acting off. highly recommend it

But then you won't be able to hear your moogle say "I'm tired kupo!" every 3 minutes.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

I still can't believe that in 2020 the only way to play the SNES-era FFs without heinously ugly mobile phone graphics and menus is through illegal emulation or owning a working console that came out 30 years ago and paying out the nose for a cartridge.

At least 6 is on Snes Classic (and 1 on NES Classic)

Veib fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Aug 27, 2020

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

SeanBeansShako posted:

Goddamn I am such a nerd.

Current FF14 project, I am recording the cut scenes for my main canon class with glamors that don't suck just because.

You're cool and good and I wish we could be friends

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I just want to remember my early game where my guy isn't dressed like he stole clothing off random people for the hell of it.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Veib posted:

6 is on Snes Classic (and 1 on NES Classic)

Yeah, I'll probably eventually pick up a Classic if they ever come down in price and stop being sold out everywhere / getting scalped on eBay for $200.

Still, only having one readily accessible FF game even on your special retro console is just garbage.

Remaster the original SNES FFs, bundle them all together, give them a trophy list, and sell it for $60. Surely the amount of actual work involved would be minuscule compared to how much they'd make off of it.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Remaster the original SNES FFs, bundle them all together, give them a trophy list, and sell it for $60. Surely the amount of actual work involved would be minuscule compared to how much they'd make off of it.

It's bizarre how they're currently doing exactly this to goddamn SaGa/Final Fantasy Legend of all things but not actual FF, even if it is Switch only

e: also this will be the first time those 30-year old Gameboy games will be released in Europe

Veib fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Aug 27, 2020

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

zedprime posted:

It makes total lazy sense. They just replaced the local I/O with network I/O and ignored building any sort of state and presence tracking for the other people. Dungeon Siege 3 is similar but at least it saved the second character in the hosts save IIRC.

ffcc was born with the intention of answering a large number of specific problems that only existed in 2003. it also has a number of problems that exist BECAUSE it was released in 2003.

the multiplayer mode you're using right now? it's a hack of the mode where you import characters from the memory card in the second slot, which was necessary because at the time, it was presumed that everyone playing it would be local and it tied player characters to the world save file, and it couldn't reliably modify the visitor's world state by adding myrrh credit for a stage they don't have access to yet on their file. that was fin then, but it's inherently incompatible with modern design, where the world will just adapt to the connected players. but, this was all already hard coded into the game in such an inextricable way that it would take just a little bit more work than a simple remaster to change.

everything bad about the remaster is the accidental but necessary result of the game being developed twenty years ago, and then trying to adapt something that was essentially made to be played locally in 4:3 standard definition, into an online game in 16:9 HD. i'm not saying that's impossible, but it isn't gonna happen when you farm out your remaster to a mobage company

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Aug 27, 2020

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

The remaster really missed the mark for me on why I would be excited for such a thing. The multiplayer of the original was a pipe dream for a lot of players, like me, and this presented another opportunity to experience that. Except what they presented was still effectively the single player game most knew, with just a glimpse of what the co-op offered during the dungeons. Disappointment is not strong enough a word to cover it.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

The White Dragon posted:

but it isn't gonna happen when you farm out your remaster to a mobage company
This explains a lot.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Alright, from what I can tell, this seems to be the best way to handle recreate that "start a new journey with your friends" feeling

Step 1: Already beat the game. :doh: This way you have all dungeons unlocked.
Step 2: Use your other character slots on that save file to join your friend for all of their stuff.

This is like the exact opposite way it should have been designed.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Veib posted:

It's bizarre how they're currently doing exactly this to goddamn SaGa/Final Fantasy Legend of all things but not actual FF, even if it is Switch only
Wait, what? How did I miss this?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

MagusofStars posted:

Wait, what? How did I miss this?

It was announced yesterday in a lowkey surprise Nintendo mini direct where imo it was probably the biggest name included.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Ok Nintendo since you are stalking me through my Switch when I tell at the sky that I'd pay any price to pay FFL on a Switch, you need to start FF5 next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Veib posted:

e: also this will be the first time those 30-year old Gameboy games will be released in Europe

Ah yes, the SaGa Collection. A whole new generation will be able to attack and dethrone chainsaw God. :black101:

My entry into the series was Final Fantasy Legend II, and drat if little me could understand what the hell was going on mechanically. I just brute forced my way through everything grinding as much money as I could to buy better weapons and armor and nodded my head at all the crazy random stat increases and the like. I have no idea how I managed to do it.