Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

my knees and busted jumper won’t allow for that regrettably

runaway pancake posted:

cap is slang for lying, bullshit

drat yall are old

just imagining goons reading black twitter like “hm well he must be serious he’s not using his shift key”

EmotionlessThug posted:

Relieved that Kuz said some good stuff on twitter so I dont have to change my NBA crush to a Celtic

you can have crushes on all the boys imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quizzlefish
Jan 26, 2005

Am I not merciful?

Dexo posted:

There is literally not a single city in the world that doesn't have a police brutality problem if they have a police.

Ours tends to be more deadly because our standard cop is allowed to carry weapons, but even in like the UK where it's rare for guns to be around, Cops are still out there breaking car windows and harassing people with clubs

I'm a Brit. This is true and not true. Everywhere is bad. But there many degrees of bad and the poo poo I see going on in the US is some next level poo poo

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

morestuff posted:

The problem is the owners can opt out of the CBA and use a canceled season as leverage in building a new one

How feasible would it be for the players to say gently caress the owners and start their own, player-owned league? They wouldn’t be able to use the big facilities, but they’d get all the internet eyeballs wherever they decided to play. It would be a pay cut to begin with, but eventually they’d have a big pot of cash and no billionaire assholes to take half off the top.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Quizzlefish posted:

I'm a Brit. This is true and not true. Everywhere is bad. But there many degrees of bad and the poo poo I see going on in the US is some next level poo poo

Also the whole 'get charged with some kind of misconduct, quietly transfer to a different location' or whatever that one is seems to be bigger in the US.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Rolabi Wizenard posted:

How feasible would it be for the players to say gently caress the owners and start their own, player-owned league? They wouldn’t be able to use the big facilities, but they’d get all the internet eyeballs wherever they decided to play. It would be a pay cut to begin with, but eventually they’d have a big pot of cash and no billionaire assholes to take half off the top.

I'd bet they would "mysteriously" discover that wherever they tried to play there would be some public safety law or other that prevented it being allowed, so sorry, the local government's hands are tied on this one, it is with much regret etc

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/aayoub/status/1298830063312531456?s=19

https://twitter.com/aayoub/status/1298830325548756993?s=19

False goat :colbert:

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Draymond sucks assssssssss

https://twitter.com/Money23Green/status/1298881322740404224?s=20

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid

Rolabi Wizenard posted:

There's a model for this in lacrosse. Admittedly much much smaller sport, but it has been done recently. And to good effect.

Basically lots of players were mad at the MLL so they went and founded the PLL where players get equity. It isn't exactly a player-owned co-op, but it's probably about as close as we've come.

The MLL had to fold half their teams, and even adopted a single owner model over the franchise model. A lot of the top players went to the new league, and the PLL invested in social media and the internet. After being around for just two years the PLL are probably the more popular league, though it's pretty neck and neck honestly.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

Rolabi Wizenard posted:

I posted about this in the offseason about three years ago. It is very feasible imho. The only thing they would need would be venues, but that could be arranged.

The ATP and PGA Tours for example are player owned and player run organisations. There is no reason the NBA couldn't be.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

verbal enema posted:

lol

also explaining the NBA boycott to old white men at the bar is not fun

Don't go to bars until there is a vaccine my man.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

What’s weird is he watched the bubble fail to do that.

I get why players who want to play make that argument but he’s at home

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

I don't like Draymond but I also don't like the "NBA players have to strike" people. How are you going to tell someone else that they should put their livelihood on the line?

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

I don't like Draymond but I also don't like the "NBA players have to strike" people. How are you going to tell someone else that they should put their livelihood on the line?

This is called being a scab

big boi fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Aug 27, 2020

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
He's right in the sense that playing sports is what gives them the power and ability to do things and say things and have them matter more than some fucko like me on a dying comedy forum.

But he's missing that not playing would be leveraging their power into a statement in and of itself, one that carries dire consequences for the NBPA. Most americans, hell myself probably included are extremely hesitant, due to general indoctrination to perform labor actions. It's just something people have been made to feel about their own worth and power in this capitalist hellscape.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

love all the people who are like a half step away from discovering the power of collective labor asking "if i don't like my job can i boycott it too?"

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

I don’t think the NBA players “have” to strike, but them doing so is absolutely a powerful message and the duality between working and striking is what has given them leverage for change in this scenario. The NBA owners are now invested in the remainder of the bubble being a success so they’ll have to make concessions. The teams legitimately threatening to leave are applying further pressure.

OTOH Draymond’s message is 100% corporate bootlicker, anti-labor poo poo. He’s saying NBA players CANT strike because people in other industries...don’t? It’s just a ridiculous message.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/SIChrisMannix/status/1298848183272042497

i missed this last night but lmao

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Draymond seems to be kinda missing the point but if the NBA players didn't go to the bubble they wouldn't have been able to do what they did last night.

Kyrie was outspoken about not wanting to play to focus on social justice, but I have absolutely no idea what he's been doing while at home. The bubble meant the players could collectively do something, that's not something that would have been feasible if they all dispersed.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

I'm not talking about the other players, I'm talking about the people sitting at home acting like they know best. I support whatever the players decide to do.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

People have been using the term scab wrong for a while now and it's really a massive pet peeve of mine.

He's not a scab unless he were to break with the union's strike, and go to work.

It's fine for people inside of a union to have disagreements with each other about the best path forward. poo poo, lord knows I disagree with people in my union about a ton of poo poo.

Draymond is not a scab for voicing his loving opinion. Just like I kinda think it's hosed that people are harassing those NuDeadspin writers with that poo poo. But that's a whole other topic.

Os Furoris
Aug 19, 2002

I think it makes sense for the players union to strike in favor of accomplishable demands.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

And honestly Draymond is right, whether it's what he intended to be or not, We as a nation shouldn't put the onus on just loving athletes to do this poo poo.

We should be organizing for a General Strike.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

So each owner agreed to spend 1 million extra a year on branding whatever community out-reach tax poo poo they do as "economic empowerment."

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Dexo posted:

People have been using the term scab wrong for a while now and it's really a massive pet peeve of mine.

He's not a scab unless he were to break with the union's strike, and go to work.

It's fine for people inside of a union to have disagreements with each other about the best path forward. poo poo, lord knows I disagree with people in my union about a ton of poo poo.

Draymond is not a scab for voicing his loving opinion. Just like I kinda think it's hosed that people are harassing those NuDeadspin writers with that poo poo. But that's a whole other topic.

there isn't really another pithy insult for members of the working class collaborating with capital so scab is close enough

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Dexo posted:

Vichy Deadspin hiring others (especially right after) was closer to the true meaning because of the nature of the resignations. Draymond isn’t a scab at this point, the Warriors are on the fishing boat.

Waking up half the world away and seeing what was going on was a real trip. Seeing Kenny Smith and Chris Webber get as emotional as they did...this is a moment.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

BWV posted:

So each owner agreed to spend 1 million extra a year on branding whatever community out-reach tax poo poo they do as "economic empowerment."
after hours of deliberation they agreed to let Andre Iguodala permanently wear "group economics" on the back of his jersey

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

inferis posted:

there isn't really another pithy insult for members of the working class collaborating with capital so scab is close enough

nah, bootlicker is right there

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Dexo posted:

And honestly Draymond is right, whether it's what he intended to be or not, We as a nation shouldn't put the onus on just loving athletes to do this poo poo.

It's insane and disheartening that NBA/NFL players are the only people with the desire and political leverage in this country to actually effect change in a meaningful way

Os Furoris
Aug 19, 2002

straight up brolic posted:

It's insane and disheartening that NBA/NFL players are the only people with the desire and political leverage in this country to actually effect change in a meaningful way

They are the only young black men with any kind of voice, power and wealth in America.

coronavirus
Jan 27, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Dray has a very large hat bill on credit, he can't just forfeit some money for morals.

Of course one of the biggest assholes in the league will be scab-adjacent.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

after hours of deliberation they agreed to let Andre Iguodala permanently wear "group economics" on the back of his jersey

seriously. That Mannix tweet is insane. for many teams, the owners are some of the most powerful people in their state/region and literally have the governor/mayor on speed dial. The idea that 20+ billionaires are "unclear what more they can do" is ridiculous when James Dolan has spent more on JD and the St8Shots.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

BWV posted:

seriously. That Mannix tweet is insane. for many teams, the owners are some of the most powerful people in their state/region and literally have the governor/mayor on speed dial. The idea that 20+ billionaires are "unclear what more they can do" is ridiculous when James Dolan has spent more on JD and the St8Shots.

Are you trying to say 300 million smackers won't immediately end racism in the USA or

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Cool Buff Man posted:

Are you trying to say 300 million smackers won't immediately end racism in the USA or
the only thing that can stop racism is laundering PR money through the non-profits of close associates in exchange for a huge tax write off

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

the only thing that can stop racism is laundering PR money through the non-profits of close associates in exchange for a huge tax write off

and people here say Canada isn't doing a good job combatting racism.

(before you all need me to explain the joke, Canada's current government is rife with scandals of allocating money to help young people to non-profits close to the PM. It isn't specifically about racism here, but it's pretty well known that these non-profits are all in bed with the government, : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WE_Charity_controversy)

BWV fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Aug 27, 2020

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

BWV posted:

Cool Buff Man posted:

Stolen from a poster on a discord I'm on.

If the Players/Owners want to make a real difference create a gently caress off huge nationwide bail fund. Pay the fines for every single person who can't vote because of said fines in Florida. Pay the cash bail of every(obviously with some exceptions for heinious poo poo) person who is forced to sit in jail to await trial.

Even outside of the owners specifically using their closeness to the levers of power to try and get laws changed.

Any group of billionaires have the power to essentially completely kill our trash cash bail system, if so desired.

They aren't going to be able to stop racism, but they sure as hell can attack the systems that are used to enforce it.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Dexo posted:

Stolen from a poster on a discord I'm on.

If the Players/Owners want to make a real difference create a gently caress off huge nationwide bail fund. Pay the fines for every single person who can't vote because of said fines in Florida. Pay the cash bail of every(obviously with some exceptions for heinious poo poo) person who is forced to sit in jail to await trial.

Even outside of the owners specifically using their closeness to the levers of power to try and get laws changed.

Any group of billionaires have the power to essentially completely kill our trash cash bail system, if so desired.

They aren't going to be able to stop racism, but they sure as hell can attack the systems that are used to enforce it.

Yeah those are very good ideas

I refuse to remotely acknowledge the idea that owners want to make a real difference until I see it though, this hands in the air "what do we do now" stuff is pathetic

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

I don’t think the NBA players “have” to strike, but them doing so is absolutely a powerful message and the duality between working and striking is what has given them leverage for change in this scenario. The NBA owners are now invested in the remainder of the bubble being a success so they’ll have to make concessions. The teams legitimately threatening to leave are applying further pressure.

OTOH Draymond’s message is 100% corporate bootlicker, anti-labor poo poo. He’s saying NBA players CANT strike because people in other industries...don’t? It’s just a ridiculous message.

I think he's trying to say "why aren't you putting pressure on other industries?", but it's really hard to tell because he's all over the place.

I want to see the owners do more, but I also understand that it's a complicated situation with the NBA players' jobs on the line.

Also I don't think we should discount how the NBA has normalized players pushing for political and social change into sports as a whole. I know that doesn't mean a strike isn't necessary now, but I feel like the players have been able to accomplish a lot through their platform.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Dexo posted:

I mean in that sense he’s right but people seem to think the bubble itself gives them a platform when the only time they have ever had a meaningful platform is when they threaten to pop the bubble.

If people seriously argue the bubble itself is a platform it will weirdly enough become irrelevant

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I thought that Dray's point was more that a lot of (non-players) seem to be calling for players to put their livelihood on the line but no one in any other line of work is being called upon to do the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

30 million a year for 10 years lmao