Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Baronash posted:

This is not going to be prosecuted as a federal crime. This wasn’t an interstate criminal enterprise. This dumbass crossed over a border that was maybe 5 minutes from his house, killed someone, wasn’t stopped by cops, and then went home.

The whole “crossing state lines” thing is really overblown. Kenosha was a 30 minute drive for this chud. Like, if you’re not a Wisconsin/Illinois resident, I can almost guarantee that Antioch is closer to Kenosha than any town/city you have heard of.

Do not underestimate the willingness of federal prosecutors to use technicality justifications to claim jurisdiction if they want to make an example out of someone. Especially if they don't think the state/local guys are going hard enough.

You know how many federal crimes are prosecuted in SDNY where the only nexus to New York is the subject transferred money through a commerce bank that happens to sit in Manhattan?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

More people should have the freedom to boycott, strike, and protest without serious detriment to their financial livelihood. Welcome to the resistance, Jared :lol:

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Baronash posted:

This is not going to be prosecuted as a federal crime. This wasn’t an interstate criminal enterprise. This dumbass crossed over a border that was maybe 5 minutes from his house, killed someone, wasn’t stopped by cops, and then went home.

The whole “crossing state lines” thing is really overblown. Kenosha was a 30 minute drive for this chud. Like, if you’re not a Wisconsin/Illinois resident, I can almost guarantee that Antioch is closer to Kenosha than any town/city you have heard of.

Borders don't cease to matter if you're close to them

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Dubar posted:

afaik the FBI is investigating the police for the blake shooting for "civil rights violations"

The more information that comes out, the less likely any officers involved will be held criminally liable.

The initial story I heard was that Blake was breaking up a fight between two others, was confronted by police and then shot when he tried entering his vehicle.

But now the information is that Blake stole keys from his ex, whom he previously had sexually assaulted and who called the police. The police were aware (from the dispatch call) that he had a violent history, including the sexual assault, and had a warrant for his arrest outstanding.

Before the video starts of him walking to the car door, police had tried arresting him, including tasing and subduing him. He fought off police, and now had a knife in his hand (seems to be video stills of the knife in hand, but yet to be confirmed this is true). Police are heard on the video yelling to drop the knife, though. This at least explains why he wasn’t further tackled by police while he walked around to the driver door. At that point, the officer shot him in the back when Blake was climbing in the vehicle.

Knowing all of this (and assuming it’s accuracy, which we all know is a big assumption), I can’t see anyone charging the police with any crimes.

THAT being said, I don’t think shooting someone is the correct action here, but idk what is. Trying to subdue him further risks personal harm from the knife he’s holding. I guess you let him drive off, but if you pursue him you risk injury to the kids in the back seat.

Someone smarter than me, how do we prevent a shooting in this or similar situations, and also avoid the risk of someone getting stabbed or putting others in harms way?

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

He’s saying all workers should have the threat of destitution held over their heads if they ever think about missing work for even a day.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Nottherealaborn posted:

The more information that comes out, the less likely any officers involved will be held criminally liable.

The initial story I heard was that Blake was breaking up a fight between two others, was confronted by police and then shot when he tried entering his vehicle.

But now the information is that Blake stole keys from his ex, whom he previously had sexually assaulted and who called the police. The police were aware (from the dispatch call) that he had a violent history, including the sexual assault, and had a warrant for his arrest outstanding.

Before the video starts of him walking to the car door, police had tried arresting him, including tasing and subduing him. He fought off police, and now had a knife in his hand (seems to be video stills of the knife in hand, but yet to be confirmed this is true). Police are heard on the video yelling to drop the knife, though. This at least explains why he wasn’t further tackled by police while he walked around to the driver door. At that point, the officer shot him in the back when Blake was climbing in the vehicle.

Knowing all of this (and assuming it’s accuracy, which we all know is a big assumption), I can’t see anyone charging the police with any crimes.

THAT being said, I don’t think shooting someone is the correct action here, but idk what is. Trying to subdue him further risks personal harm from the knife he’s holding. I guess you let him drive off, but if you pursue him you risk injury to the kids in the back seat.

Someone smarter than me, how do we prevent a shooting in this or similar situations, and also avoid the risk of someone getting stabbed or putting others in harms way?

He didn't have a knife. There was a knife in his car, along with his children...

I also haven't seen anything corroborating your other info.

AhhYes
Dec 1, 2004

* Click *
College Slice

Nottherealaborn posted:

They're cops. Their job is dangerous. If they think putting 7 bullets in him to avoid the risk of being stabbed is justified, they shouldn't be cops.

Edit: ^^^^ If that is true then there's no discussion here.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

You know what? It really doesn't matter. It is not justified. His past. Doesn't matter. Technicalities? It doesn't matter. It stopped mattering because people stopped giving Police the benefit of the doubt, and deservedly so. So called "Good Shoots" will be called into question, and for good reason.

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

He didn't have a knife. There was a knife in his car, along with his children...

Police say that it was a domestic incident from a 911(?) call. Not sure about the rest (dispatcher giving info and outstanding warrant).

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

i am harry posted:

17 year olds do not possess property that needs “protection”. He wasn’t really even the owner of his gun.

Well obviously he was just trying to protect the gun he had borrowed after it told him how threatened it felt.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

UK doesn’t have every cop carry a firearm and they haven’t devolved into anarchy. Quit being a bunch of blubbering rear end babies if you wanna pretend to be a big tough guy cop.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqKEb4h6jec

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

PIZZA.BAT posted:

Borders don't cease to matter if you're close to them

Certainly not, but the idea that you could credibly argue that a violation of a Wisconsin city curfew, a violation of Wisconsin open carry laws, an assault with a deadly weapon charge in Wisconsin, and a double murder in Wisconsin are all actually interstate crimes because the dipshit went home to sleep is some serious magical thinking.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

We have potentially protected the property of 180,000 Americans so far.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

https://www.wbay.com/2020/08/26/doj-jacob-blake-had-knife-when-officers-tried-to-arrest-him/

This is the most current link I’ve seen, which details some of that info. In the video at the top of the page, you can see something in Blake’s left hand as he rounds the front of the vehicle, but it’s impossible to know what item that is just from the video.

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

Even if you truly believe all of the nonsense coming from right wing twitter, it is impossible to reconcile that with the fact that the same police department did NOT feel threatened by a man carrying an assault rifle which he had just used to kill two people. That is to say nothing of the history of racist remarks from the police chief nor the department's relationship with right wing extremists.

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

My stove defies the laws of physics!

Nottherealaborn posted:

Care to source literally any of these claims, or?

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

Baronash posted:

Certainly not, but the idea that you could credibly argue that a violation of a Wisconsin city curfew, a violation of Wisconsin open carry laws, an assault with a deadly weapon charge in Wisconsin, and a double murder in Wisconsin are all actually interstate crimes because the dipshit went home to sleep is some serious magical thinking.

It's not "magical thinking," it's "how the law actually works jesus loving christ this isn't difficult." Whether the feds actually do anything is a separate question - they absolutely could if they chose. Period!

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Nottherealaborn posted:

https://www.wbay.com/2020/08/26/doj-jacob-blake-had-knife-when-officers-tried-to-arrest-him/

This is the most current link I’ve seen, which details some of that info. In the video at the top of the page, you can see something in Blake’s left hand as he rounds the front of the vehicle, but it’s impossible to know what item that is just from the video.

If he had a knife in his hand during before he was shot, that information would have been leaked already. The cops would be shouting it from the rooftop.

Baronash fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Aug 27, 2020

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Nottherealaborn posted:

I don't see anything in his hand there and I've watched the video over and over trying to see what you're talking about.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

If he had a knife in his hand they’d have shot him before he got to the door.

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ
https://mobile.twitter.com/Yamiche/status/1298976120466006016

Failson-in-law going to solve the sports strike like he solved peace in the Middle East and national testing. I wish I could be on that call if LeBron even picks up.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Sarcastro posted:

It's not "magical thinking," it's "how the law actually works jesus loving christ this isn't difficult." Whether the feds actually do anything is a separate question - they absolutely could if they chose. Period!

My first sentence on the matter was “this is never going to get prosecuted as a federal crime” not “this isn’t potentially a federal crime on paper.” Did you bother to read that, or were you too eager to go full Judge Dredd “the law is the law”?

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

God loving drown them in a shallow puddle I’m so loving sick of rich people.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Nottherealaborn posted:

Admitting to having "a knife in his possession," does not mean the same thing as admitting to having "knife in his hand," let alone a knife in a position that could be threatening to one's life. The reports I read say the knife was in his car but he was otherwise unarmed.

And even if Blake did have a knife in his hand while he is walking away (because, as you say, it is unclear what is in his hand), I am not sure why the policeman then walks right up to him to get within actual stabbing distance as opposed to maintaining safety space.

The policeman also grabbed Blake by the shirt and then shot him seven times in the back. Whatever threat to law enforcement in that situation definitely does not require that many shots to subdue.

Police are supposed to be trained in the proper use of force and if you're presenting yourself as a law enforcement professional, there comes a point where you do need be held to a higher standard.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
I could be way off, or way too optimistic, but at this point I'm predicting that murder boy will eat some kind of serious charge because I'm convinced that if he doesn't we're going to see increasingly large groups of armed protesters, and I don't think that situation, or a showdown over the 2nd Amendment in public spaces, is what the Trump admin wants right now, simply because of mounting data points that leftist protestors are both more armed and more willing to demonstrate that, than at any time in the past.

Note that I am not salivating over the prospect of Antifa actually having AR-15 shootouts with Boogs; I think that should be avoided at most costs. But, I think that Bill Barr might actually agree with that assessment, for an entirely different and more evil set of reasons.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

Baronash posted:

My first sentence on the matter was “this is never going to get prosecuted as a federal crime” not “this isn’t potentially a federal crime on paper.” Did you bother to read that, or were you too eager to go full Judge Dredd “the law is the law”?

Unfortunately, you kept posting additional sentences on the matter that veered into the absurd, specifically the one to which I responded. Did you bother to read those?

Sarcastro fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Aug 27, 2020

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Pleads posted:

Nobody banged a trash can this time so Houston is just gonna take the hurricane.

:drat:

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

Baronash posted:

If he had a knife in his hand during before he was murdered, that information would have been leaked already. The cops would be shouting it from the rooftop.

He's not dead.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Doctor Butts posted:

More people should have the freedom to boycott, strike, and protest without serious detriment to their financial livelihood. Welcome to the resistance, Jared :lol:

These people just love this trolling type of stuff, where they pretend to use leftist language to "expose hypocrisy" or whatever they think they're doing. Like when we criticize Herman Cain or Sheriff Clarke or Diamond & Silk they go "it is a shame those on the left can't respect Black voices" :jerkbag:

They think leftism is just a bunch of showboating and weepy shaming. Like they think trans people or autistic people or people with peanut allergies are "just looking for attention"

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

twice burned ice posted:

Care to source literally any of these claims, or?

So he supposedly pulled a gun back in 2015, but the case was dismissed in 2018. There was a warrant for his arrest stemming from a domestic abuse incident with charges including third degree sexual assault, trespassing, and disorderly conduct. The police however have not responded when asked if the police officers on the scene actually knew any of that. I'm sure of course when they're finally interrogated in a week or two they'll say they definitely 100% did.

edit: Also the knife was in the vehicle, not in his hands. And like the arrest warrant, the department has not answered whether the cops knew he had a knife in the car. Once again I'm sure they will say that they saw it with their highly trained cop eyes in a week or two when they're interrogated.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Aug 27, 2020

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Glumwheels posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/Yamiche/status/1298976120466006016

Failson-in-law going to solve the sports strike like he solved peace in the Middle East and national testing. I wish I could be on that call if LeBron even picks up.

Lebron James is one of the most famous and successful athletes on Earth and still had his property vandalized with the n-word. gently caress that pencil neck dork voiced little dweeb.

SolarFire2 posted:

He's not dead.

Not for lack of trying.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Nottherealaborn posted:

even if I grant you all the unsourced claims in your post, I am going to suggest that it's 2020, dams have broken, and a lot of things that a lot of people would have glossed over as a "justified shooting" six months ago would be subject to scrutiny and protest now, because we, the policed, have collectively decided that we'd rather not be policed at all if it means usually being shot or beat up when we try to get help

so basically your post is asking this, a basically leftist forum, to give US police the benefit of the doubt in August 2020, to which I say :allears: :allears: :allears: :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETdKkgGSE8U

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
I'm seeing more lily white suburbanites posting about how we need to raze police departments down to the ground and start fresh, which is new (at least in my social circles).

NecroBob
Jul 29, 2003

Eric Cantonese posted:

And even if Blake did have a knife in his hand while he is walking away (because, as you say, it is unclear what is in his hand), I am not sure why the policeman then walks right up to him to get within actual stabbing distance as opposed to maintaining safety space.

You forget that this is a country where a 12-year-old was executed by cops in a drive by shooting because he was playing with a toy gun in a park, and the country just kinda went :shrug:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Found one piece of good news

https://twitter.com/davantelewis/status/1298967952365150209?s=21

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Nottherealaborn posted:

Uh. Really easy? The cops back off and follow him at a distance and hover around until he gives himself up or actually seriously attempts to harm someone else.

This wasn't an emergency, the cops had all day to work this out.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Eric Cantonese posted:

I'm seeing more lily white suburbanites posting about how we need to raze police departments down to the ground and start fresh, which is new (at least in my social circles).

Yeah, the way that police departments have reacted with naked contempt and overwhelming force to criticism has really radicalized a lot of people. Then again, that pattern is hardly new-- there's a reason we have images of nightsticks and tear gas on the Edmund Pettus Bridge seared into our national memory.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

SolarFire2 posted:

He's not dead.

You’re right. Shot not murdered.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Blake did not have a knife. At a presser they said they found a knife in the floorboard of his car. Which says nothing about intent or anything. I have a knife on my car dashboard and I completely forget about it until I need it as a tool.

If Blake had a weapon the cops would be on every news channel with crocodile tears about what a dangerous thug this guy was and how they had no choice. Praise to the heroic self sacrificing actions. Beautify us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Accidentally making the case for increased pay and unionization for all workers, welcome Komrade Jared