Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

The MSJ posted:

Answer him, Gunn!

He probably can't. DC doesn't like directly acknowledging that Snowflame exists, for what should be very immediately obvious reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Harley got a cocaine power boost Birds of Prey, so they shouldn't be that opposed to it in theory.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Snowflame would fit perfectly in the Harley Quinn series. Which I suppose Suicide Squad is the natural companion to.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Robot Style posted:

Harley got a cocaine power boost Birds of Prey, so they shouldn't be that opposed to it in theory.

On the one hand, sure, but on the other hand, acknowledging that they released a teen-targeted book at the height of the crack epidemic that had a badass cocaine-powered villain would be one gently caress of an unforced PR error.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Come on, WB. Even A Pup Named Scooby Do had an episode where they bust a drug trafficker.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

On the one hand, sure, but on the other hand, acknowledging that they released a teen-targeted book at the height of the crack epidemic that had a badass cocaine-powered villain would be one gently caress of an unforced PR error.

Nobody cares about the comic books, least of all a short lived series known for being an embarrassingly bad and misguided attempt at a Captain Planet type series that's only remembered because one villain ended up being hilarious.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

He probably can't. DC doesn't like directly acknowledging that Snowflame exists, for what should be very immediately obvious reasons.

Snowflame returned in a comic this year.

Jedit fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Aug 26, 2020

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

They won't use Snowflame in the movies because I imagine Hollywood executives would feel uncomfortable with associating their favorite past time with a supervillain

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
*googles Snowflame*

I think there's an era of DC comics I must've missed because that's a cool as hell villain.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Jedit posted:

I don't think there's a much better way to bring him back than a walking incarnation of the 80s.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Freakazoid_ posted:

*googles Snowflame*

I think there's an era of DC comics I must've missed because that's a cool as hell villain.

I remember there was a fanmade webcomic starring him.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I don't think there's a much better way to bring him back than a walking incarnation of the 80s.
I love that he’s driving a red Lamborghini Countach.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Jedit posted:

Huh, really? Googling around didn't pull this up for me at all, just some fan comic where Snowflame beats up Batman.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

galenanorth posted:

edit: also I liked how Lana Lang seemed to have a crush on Clark Kent but not Superman. I liked their continual Freudian misunderstandings where one of them is talking about food or chores and the other thinks they're talking about relationships or vice versa. Also, Clark Kent is the kind of guy who'd eat dog food if he found out he liked the taste before being told what it was

If you like the taste of something why wouldn't you eat it, this makes no sense

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

Huh, really? Googling around didn't pull this up for me at all, just some fan comic where Snowflame beats up Batman.

The trick to defeating Snowflame is to mellow him out with a blunt to counteract his cocaine.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

The first hit on Google for "Snowflame Catwoman":

https://www.cbr.com/catwoman-snowflame-return/

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Birds of Prey had Harley Quinn power up with cocaine during a fight scene.

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

Freakazoid_ posted:

*googles Snowflame*

Wait until you find out about Dogwelder!

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Brock Samson posted:

Wait until you find out about Dogwelder!

does he weld dogs together or does he weld using dogs as welding equipment?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
He welds dogs to people's face.

I've been seeing some people talk online that the 'TDK' character Nathon Fillion is playing is actually Arm-Fall-Off-Boy

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I've been seeing some people talk online that the 'TDK' character Nathon Fillion is playing is actually Arm-Fall-Off-Boy

That's my theory. I think TDK stands for something like Tendon Disconnect Kid and someone renames/nicknames him Arm Fall Off Boy in the movie.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I thought this was all some weird riff, but its all true

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Ahhh, wtf?!

https://twitter.com/taliasghul/status/1298667996928528384

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I hope he also randomly drops Spanish words like El Dorado from Superfiends because “all those places are basically the same or whatever.”

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

"I don't care about the racism" is a helluva look these days. Didn't even bother saying "We cast the best actor for the role" smh

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Everyone’s favorite part of a disastrous movie release is here - the possibly studio-planted blame game articles. https://www.vulture.com/2020/08/what-happened-to-the-new-mutants.html

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

:yikes:

Pirate Jet posted:

Everyone’s favorite part of a disastrous movie release is here - the possibly studio-planted blame game articles. https://www.vulture.com/2020/08/what-happened-to-the-new-mutants.html

I like how the article closes with this:

quote:

“People have talked about this being a ‘cursed’ film because it’s taking forever,” New Mutants comic-book artist Sienkiewicz said at the Comic-Con@Home panel last month. “But I think in some respects, the lockdown has actually just amped up the level of interest. People are really rabid for this.”

Are they really though? Lmao.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I’m certainly not going to see it if it’s not set in 1983 and doesn’t end with a middle-aged white cop and nurse being magically transformed into two hot young possibly immortal Sioux people.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I’m certainly not going to see it if it’s not set in 1983 and doesn’t end with a middle-aged white cop and nurse being magically transformed into two hot young possibly immortal Sioux people.

...what?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I bust down the door to my office

"Hey everybody! Did you hear there's NEW mutants!?"

"HOLY poo poo I GOTTA SEE THIS" says my boss

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

That's how the comic ends. They go live with Professor X in the mansion for a while and are eventually forgotten about.

EDIT:

I AM GRANDO fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Aug 27, 2020

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

teagone posted:

Are they really though? Lmao.

I'm actually kinda sad it's coming out. Ruins a really good gag.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

I'm definitely not going to go see it in theaters but I'll rent it just to see the last X-Men movie made before the buyout. Everything from here on out is just going to be MCU Franchise #25.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Flying Zamboni posted:

I'm definitely not going to go see it in theaters but I'll rent it just to see the last X-Men movie made before the buyout. Everything from here on out is just going to be MCU Franchise #25.

https://twitter.com/georgendebele22/status/1298306249587654656

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

That's how the comic ends. They go live with Professor X in the mansion for a while and are eventually forgotten about.

EDIT:

That rules. Comic books rule.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Oh no whatever shall we do without all those great Indy X-men movies?

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

I like more of the Fox X-Men movies than I don't, and stuff like Logan or Deadpool would absolutely not happen under Disney. Deadpool might keep going since it's been making good money but I wouldn't expect anything new from them to be even remotely risky.

New Mutants is probably not great but it looks to be going for a different tone than anything Disney has put out and if there are going to be a million super hero movies I'd rather that some of them try to have their own identity.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

That director put his foot in his mouth in that interview but I find the timing here strange. This movie has been in the can for like 3 years, right? How is this just now being noticed and raised as an issue? Feels like some 11th hour controversy drummed up to get people to hatewatch/thinkpiece the movie.

Completely agree that they should not have cast that guy in particular, there are plenty of Afro-Brazilian actors who could've pulled it off, just seems weird that it is coming up now.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Mat Cauthon posted:

That director put his foot in his mouth in that interview but I find the timing here strange. This movie has been in the can for like 3 years, right? How is this just now being noticed and raised as an issue? Feels like some 11th hour controversy drummed up to get people to hatewatch/thinkpiece the movie.

This seems way overly paranoid. The criticisms of the casting certainly existed (the interviewer is, in fact, asking about those existing criticisms), and this specific tweet is in response to the interview which was just published yesterday.

Also presumably there was at least some benefit of the doubt about the casting until the director straight up answered "I don't care about racism but lighter skinned people seem richer to me"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Not wanting Disney to make Marvel movies is fine but don’t pretend Sony has done anything really worth a poo poo for the past 30 years they’ve had the license. They’ve made 13 x-men movies and maybe 3 or 4 are legitimately good. They couldn’t make money off Spiderman for fucks sake.