Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Well, gently caress y'all. Ridley Scott and Brian Yuzna both got the exact matchups they need to survive these rounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

TrixRabbi posted:

Ishiro Honda

Rodan
Half Human
Godzilla
Matango
The Human Vapor
Frankenstein Conquers the World

He's got a mixed bag. I don't think that last film is going to do him too well if he draws it, but it's weird as hell. Never seen The Human Vapor so not sure how that would hold up. Godzilla is easily his strongest, Matango is second best, though I personally find it a tad too slow.

Honestly, I'm probably already in the bag for Romero next round but will wait and see to reserve final judgment.

Who chose Honda's roster? If Half Human was such a possible loss, why did someone posit that for his roster instead of something else? Like War of the Gargantuans.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Welp, Ridley drew Alien. gently caress. This is upsetting to me.

Hooper probably deserved a better selection than Salem's Lot but at the same time I understand why it's there. It's definitely one of his more widely known and remembered films, even if it doesn't really hold up.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

lol that might have actually been me trying to craft a lineup that reflected his diversity as a director, with emphasis on horror and not just leaning entirely on kaiju. I hadn't seen Half Human nor did I realize he'd be nominated for a top seed. But it's made for some great drama!

edit: At least I'm not the one that nominated Salem's Lot for Hooper instead of The Funhouse.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

TrixRabbi posted:

edit: At least I'm not the one that nominated Salem's Lot for Hooper instead of The Funhouse.

I declare an emergency substitute.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

I just want to say upfront -- don't shortsell Society for having a long buildup. Even knowing how it ends it's got some fun lead up, it crafts the world and gets right to the heart of its political class war, plus the Arrow blu ray in particular is gorgeous. But like, that finale, honestly maybe more extreme body horror than anything Cronenberg has ever done and I don't say that lightly.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I urge everyone to at least give Christine a shot before you vote Alien, and I will be making another post about it as the week goes on.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Christine is a really good film. I'm kind of bummed though that if Scott drew Alien that Carpenter didn't get the chance to compete on Halloween or The Thing. It would have been a true clash of the titans.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

TrixRabbi posted:

I just want to say upfront -- don't shortsell Society for having a long buildup. Even knowing how it ends it's got some fun lead up, it crafts the world and gets right to the heart of its political class war, plus the Arrow blu ray in particular is gorgeous. But like, that finale, honestly maybe more extreme body horror than anything Cronenberg has ever done and I don't say that lightly.

I'm definitely leaning Society. I actually really enjoy the build up of the movie and don't think it'd really work any other way.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Excited for those of you who haven't seen The Babadook to learn the movie actually has nothing to do with queer identity at all.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Oh I am absolutely all-for replacing 'Salem's Lot with The Funhouse.

Also, must we have two Triple Threats instead of letting the two, Get Out and Nightmare on Elm Street 3, just do a head-to-head? Seems a bit loaded when the solution is right there.

Everyone that says Society is slow clearly doesn't like paranoid mysteries or have a sense of humor. I did a group watch of it, and half the fun was everyone trying to piece together the story before the reveal.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Franchescanado posted:

Oh I am absolutely all-for replacing 'Salem's Lot with The Funhouse.

Also, must we have two Triple Threats instead of letting the two, Get Out and Nightmare on Elm Street 3, just do a head-to-head? Seems a bit loaded when the solution is right there.

look at this dude trying to spoil the triple threat fun.

mods?!

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

MacheteZombie posted:

look at this dude trying to spoil the triple threat fun.

mods?!

No Gods No Mods,

Just Fran

:getin:

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

I'm in a good position of having seen just about everything this round except Salem's Lot, though I really love Society so that's gonna be tough to beat. (Also, amazing if Hooper and Carpenter both fall with Stephen King adaptations).

For the triple threats though, I really am leaning Dream Warriors and Get Out. Ari Aster just doesn't do it for me, The Babadook is good but not Get Out good. Meanwhile, Onibaba and The Witch are both great but Dream Warriors is fun and I'm in a fun mood.

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

TrixRabbi posted:

Christine is a really good film. I'm kind of bummed though that if Scott drew Alien that Carpenter didn't get the chance to compete on Halloween or The Thing. It would have been a true clash of the titans.

To be honest, I think The Thing was Carpenter's only chance to surpass Alien. I'd even vote against Halloween, but the others are like numbers 2 and 3 on my personal favorite horror movies list. Jaws is my personal number 1 spot, FWIW. It would have been a real interesting internal debate, in a way nothing else would have been - and I'm one of the ones who pegged Carpenter as taking this whole thing in a cake walk.

What does Scott have to pull from after this, though? Is he going to just go back and start repeats, or does he have anything else new to pull from? Because I can't imagine Prometheus or Alien: Covenant getting him to advance much further, unless the next round is really weird.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

If the council is in agreement, I'm okay subbing out Salem's Lot. It's extremely long, edited for TV and hard to find. However, if we add a new film to Hooper's roster, it will be replacing Salem's Lot - he won't get to re-draw and potentially pull one of his TCMs

Class3KillStorm posted:

What does Scott have to pull from after this, though? Is he going to just go back and start repeats, or does he have anything else new to pull from? Because I can't imagine Prometheus or Alien: Covenant getting him to advance much further, unless the next round is really weird.
Page 2 of the spreadsheet shows each director's remaining films (though not the order they will be chosen). Scott has Prometheus and.... Hannibal. So uh, congrats to Brian Yuzna on making the Fearful Four.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Scott's already pulled Alien: Covenant, so we'll see what he has left after this round :getin:

Shrecknet posted:

If the council is in agreement, I'm okay subbing out Salem's Lot. It's extremely long, edited for TV and hard to find. However, if we add a new film to Hooper's roster, it will be replacing Salem's Lot - he won't get to re-draw and potentially pull one of his TCMs

Cool, and that's what I would have expected/hoped if we do a substitution.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

I personally don't like the idea of pulling a film after it's already entered competition. If y'all want to argue it's a miniseries and shouldn't count I can't stop you. But this is really just moving the goalpost to try to save the director on a bad draw. I wouldn't have nominated him for Salem's Lot but the time to change it out was before he drew it, not after.

I think y'all should have to make your arguments for Salem's Lot winning this. We didn't rescue Wes Craven, we're not rescuing Carpenter. This is our bed, we made it.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

TrixRabbi posted:

I personally don't like the idea of pulling a film after it's already entered competition. If y'all want to argue it's a miniseries and shouldn't count I can't stop you. But this is really just moving the goalpost to try to save the director on a bad draw. I wouldn't have nominated him for Salem's Lot but the time to change it out was before he drew it, not after.

Also a completely fair point.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Onibaba is good, but Kuroneko is much better. Dream Warriors is one of my favorite 80's horror movies. I love The VVitch, more than Onibaba, but not as much as Dream Warriors.

The second choice is basically Get Out vs Hereditary. The Babadook is fine, but it's no The Nightingale.

I've never seen 'Salem's Lot, so well see how that matches Yuzna's film about class, nepotism, and the inherent incestuous nature of high society.

Alien vs Christine is gonna be the tough one, clearly. However, I'd like to say it's not cut-and-dried. Christine is very very good. It's secretly an A-tier Carpenter film that gets relegated to B-tier for no reason at all, other than it's premise seems kinda archaic.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Did Legend make it into Ridley's line-up?

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

If there are any hard to find films that people want streamed, please let me know :) With the bank holiday over here in the UK I'm going crazy busy at work, but I hope to fit at least a few in.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

I haven't even seen Salem's Lot so I really don't know if it's as bad as we all think it is. Society is a divisive film. Yeah, it's long, but we saw Ishiro Honda come from behind with Half Human, we just saw Stuart Gordon eke out a victory over loving Frankenstein with a Full Moon Pictures production. Let's watch it, make our cases, and may the best film win.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Meanwhile, The Funhouse is fun and weird as gently caress. It literally lives up to it's name; it takes place in a Funhouse, and it feels like a Funhouse. (We don't have to replace 'Salem's Lot with it, I just hope everyone who hasn't seen it watches The Funhouse, cuz it slaps.)

edit: I'm pretty happy everyone's gonna have to watch Onibaba, though. It's still a fascinating ghost story. It's currently streaming on Criterion Channel, with a 21 minute interview with Kaneta Shindo and a 40 minute making-of documentary.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Aug 27, 2020

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

So I was going to wait until later to pitch this since we still have over a month of the tournament left and we might want to take a brief break before starting another one, but I have an idea for how to do Horror Director Bracketology 2: Revenge of the Dead.

32 slots are allotted to directors who did not make the cut in this current bracket, we return to the nominating process and select directors from the pool of new entries.

32 slots are allotted to returning directors, but only those who fell in rounds 1 and 2 and did not get a chance to really show off their capabilities. We vote from those selections and bring in the top favorites for a second chance run. This would include heavy hitters who fell early like Craven and Argento.

We can revisit this in depth as we get to the end of the bracket, make adjustments, but it's an idea I had for how to keep this going without it being a retread of the same films and faces. With returning directors we can revisit their film lineups, and maybe take a little more time to be sure we're all happy with the ground they have to compete on.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

TrixRabbi posted:

I feel like the slogan has gotta be "Who will survive and what will be left of them?"

I keep forgetting to join this tourney but I'm here now.

And I was all over the last one.

And I'm wearing my TCM shirt right now.

...all of this to say I super support that slogan

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

TrixRabbi posted:

So I was going to wait until later to pitch this since we still have over a month of the tournament left and we might want to take a brief break before starting another one, but I have an idea for how to do Horror Director Bracketology 2: Revenge of the Dead.

32 slots are allotted to directors who did not make the cut in this current bracket, we return to the nominating process and select directors from the pool of new entries.

32 slots are allotted to returning directors, but only those who fell in rounds 1 and 2 and did not get a chance to really show off their capabilities. We vote from those selections and bring in the top favorites for a second chance run. This would include heavy hitters who fell early like Craven and Argento.

We can revisit this in depth as we get to the end of the bracket, make adjustments, but it's an idea I had for how to keep this going without it being a retread of the same films and faces. With returning directors we can revisit their film lineups, and maybe take a little more time to be sure we're all happy with the ground they have to compete on.

Yes! I'm all for more of these, but that's easy for me to say, I'm not the one running them.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

If Shreck wants to take a break after this one and there's still an appetite once this one concludes I'm happy to take point on it. But again, this is for down the line and I only bring it up now so people don't despair so much about some favorites potentially falling early.

Embrace chaos! Vote your heart! Make your defenses! It's day one of this round, it's possible to sway people away from an "obvious" choice. We don't need to make emergency film swaps because we're not happy with the matchup. :justpost:

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Where To Stream This poo poo

Onibaba - Criterion Channel (with special features), HBO Max (US)

The VVitch - Netflix (US), Kanopy (US), $6 blu ray on Amazon

A Nightmare On Elm Stree 3: Dream Warriors - HBO Max

Hereditary - Amazon Prime (US) , Kanopy (US)

The Babadook - n/a

Get Out - n/a

Society - Amazon Prime (US) , Shudder (US), TubiTV (US), Kanopy (US)

'Salem's Lot - archive.org, paid rentals (Prime, YouTube)

Alien - HBO Max

Christine - n/a

All of the n/a's are available for paid rental at the usual places. :shrug:

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

TrixRabbi posted:

If Shreck wants to take a break after this one and there's still an appetite once this one concludes I'm happy to take point on it. But again, this is for down the line and I only bring it up now so people don't despair so much about some favorites potentially falling early.

Embrace chaos! Vote your heart! Make your defenses! It's day one of this round, it's possible to sway people away from an "obvious" choice. We don't need to make emergency film swaps because we're not happy with the matchup. :justpost:

I think we could wait until at least after the October Challenge. Personally that's so time-consuming for me, that I wouldn't be able to participate in another tournament until that's over.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Salem's Lot: You play the hand you're dealt :colbert:

I've seen Salem's Lot and it isn't great, but it's fine. Plus it contains a lot of iconic imagery. Let it ride.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Franchescanado posted:

I think we could wait until at least after the October Challenge. Personally that's so time-consuming for me, that I wouldn't be able to participate in another tournament until that's over.

For sure. Maybe after U.S. Thanksgiving just so the format doesn't get stale and folks have some time to relax and build anticipation for another bracket. Again, only pitching this now so there's less anxiety about some heavy hitters maybe possibly going out early.

In the meantime, let's talk gang tags. I don't know how to make em but I want one.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I like Alien a lot, but I think Christine has a shot. Here's why: at the end of the day, Alien is just a haunted house movie with some really great production design and the cool idea to do it on a spaceship. What it really needs is some subtext. Something about sex and fear of rape, I dunno, just spitballing based off Geiger's design. Something to think about in the remake with Vanessa Hudgens as Ripley

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

TrixRabbi posted:

In the meantime, let's talk gang tags. I don't know how to make em but I want one.

It's gotta be 50px tall or less. I'm not saying I'll design one, but I'll happily get it uploaded and distributed to thread participants.

Lurkers and silent voters are gonna have to start posting more if they want one, though. I'm not a psychic or mind-reader.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

Franchescanado posted:

It's gotta be 50px tall or less. I'm not saying I'll design one, but I'll happily get it uploaded and distributed to thread participants.

Lurkers and silent voters are gonna have to start posting more if they want one, though. I'm not a psychic or mind-reader.

If I get a gangtag will I be contributing money to Lowtax?

Also nth the voices saying stick with Salem's Lot. It's a series and maybe shouldn't be here but it's out now - personally think it deserves consideration even on iconic imagery (kid and window especially one of the most frightening experiences of my childhood watching horror).

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Honestly, how can you say no to a face like this

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

Honestly, how can you say no to a face like this

Please don’t doxx me like that.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

BisonDollah posted:

If I get a gangtag will I be contributing money to Lowtax?

Nope. It’s within my mod powers, as long as it’s justified (reward for effort threads, for instance).

Edit: I have been thinking about a gang tag for this thread, but I feel like it should be in honor or related to the winner? Cuz I can’t think of other trophies/rewards for when the Greatest Director is named. I’m open to all ideas and suggestions.

(Maybe a movie marathon of the winner’s filmography, but it’s a bit redundant since we are already watching them all. )

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Aug 27, 2020

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
gently caress it you all are already throwing dirt on Carpenter's grave, so let's talk about it. I think there's an argument to be made that Christine is equal to Alien in several different areas that I personally value a lot in films, especially genre films.

Production Design

What Carpenter brings to the table in this aspect of filmmaking is so often underrated, and never moreso than with Christine. Scott is so often flashy with it, he'll give you bizarre Giger designs or insanely detailed fairytale forests or period costumes. And that's great. But with Christine Carpenter is doing something that in some ways is a harder trick to pull off. He's working within the world of the mundane. It's high school football games, it's the dusty old garage, it's Americana. But because of Carpenter's detail and design focus, you feel like you're getting the core essence of these things. The football game feels like The High School Football Game that almost exists only in American myth. There's just something about those uniforms and the green grass and the bleachers. And Carpenter infuses the whole movie with that feeling.

And all that without even getting into the car itself. What other director could make such a memorable character out of the car? I honestly think it's a tougher ask than making a sci-fi slasher from a fantastic Giger design.

Special Effects

Honestly I don't think Alien's special effects are even all that impressive. And that's not a knock against the film, I just don't think that's where it's bread is buttered. They're very good, and Ridley shoots them well and makes sure they're impactful, but I actually think Christine's car effects are better.

If that sounds insane, I probably would've said the same until I actually saw Christine. There are effects in the movie that truly stand up today, in that "well poo poo, this movie is over 30 years old and I still can't figure out how he did that" kinda way. Of course, Christine was made on a fairly low budget so all of the answers are somewhat simple but amazingly effective.

Score

Well this one is probably obvious. It's an advantage that a Carpenter film is going to have over almost any competition, but Christine's score doesn't disappoint. You know what to expect with a Carpenter score and he fully delivers here.

So I say those things, which you may disagree with, to make the argument that Christine turning out as a legitimately good, even great film is a major accomplishment of filmmaking. Carpenter took a Stephen King story about a possessed car, of all things, and turned it into a stylish, often scary, and memorable piece of horror that has lost almost nothing in three plus decades. And I think we can look at what Burkion said so convincingly about Honda and apply some of that to this matchup as well.

Ridley Scott was embraced by Hollywood. Ridley Scott routinely gets 50-100 million to make his films, that's the world he lives in. John Carpenter was never fully allowed into that world, he was almost always given the short end of the stick by both audiences and critics. Make the best spooky ghost pirate movie ever? Nobody cares until decades later. Make one of the best creature features ever? It's a flop and not recognized until decades later. Perform a miracle and make a great killer car movie? To this day most people still don't recognize that accomplishment.

In many ways Carpenter is horror. He represents the greatness of the genre and he experienced the drawbacks that come with carrying that torch. Ridley Scott never had to carry that torch and never wanted it.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Aug 27, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
First, I am genuinely surprised at this turn of events and delighted by what's to come. Dear God though, what's to come is going to be rough.

Franchescanado posted:

Who chose Honda's roster? If Half Human was such a possible loss, why did someone posit that for his roster instead of something else? Like War of the Gargantuans.

Yeah what absolute piece of poo poo would do this to me and Honda

Burkion posted:

I'd swap Mothra and Destroy All Monsters for Rodan and Half Human, myself. Rodan is closer to a horror movie in the first half than Mothra is in any fashion, and Destroy All Monsters is a pure kaiju film while Half Human is an oft forgotten film that got re-edited in 1958 with John Caradine.

Well at least I never brought up replacing it with

Burkion posted:

It'd have been extremely easy for me to keep Half Human off the list, to suggest War of the Gargantuans or some such, or argue that he should only have the four films that most embody horror from him.

I see this as both a celebration of these creators, and also a way to spread some of their not as well known films with new people to enjoy.

I am the villain of my own history.