Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below
Lucia seems to be on board to add St. Thomas:

https://m.startribune.com/new-commissioner-lucia-sees-st-thomas-as-nice-candidate-for-ccha/571323762/

quote:

Don Lucia on Wednesday was named the commissioner of the new Central Collegiate Hockey Association, a seven-team conference of teams breaking away from the WCHA to form a league that will begin play in the 2021-22 season.

For scheduling purposes, eight teams are preferable to seven, and during a Zoom news conference Lucia said adding and eighth team is a priority for the CCHA – given the right fit in commitment to hockey and geographic proximity.

One school that might fit well is St. Thomas, which on Wednesday was awaiting word from the NCAA Division I Council if it will be allowed to move directly from Division III to Division I.

Might Lucia have tipped his hand for a preferred school? If so, he appeared to have some “UST’’ face cards.

NCAA decision on St. Thomas' proposed move to Division I expected today

Former Gophers coach Don Lucia set to become CCHA commissioner

“They certainly would be a candidate,’’ the former Gophers men's hockey coach said. “They have a rich tradition academically and athletically. They should find out, hopefully today, which direction they’re going to go [from the Division I Council]. In past conversations with Phil [Esten, St. Thomas athletic director] that he’s pretty positive, so we’ll keep our fingers crossed. Any time we can add a Division I institution to college hockey, I think is a great day for college hockey. Hopefully, that’s going to happen here today.

“If they do come through with that announcement, they’re obviously going to be looking for a home, and that’s somebody we certainly would have an interest in, as I’m sure other conferences would as well,’’ he added. “They would be a nice candidate, and I look forward, if this goes through, being able to sit down and talk to them.’’

There are ties between the new CCHA and St. Thomas. Morris Kurtz, the athletic consultant who organized the seven schools’ move from the WCHA to the CCHA, was an assistant athletic director at Penn State from 2013 to ’15, when the school’s hockey program was transitioning to the Big Ten. Esten was deputy athletic director at Penn State from 2014 to ’18 before taking over at St. Thomas.

Does that mean St. Thomas to the CCHA is a done deal? Not at all, but the move certainly would make sense in many ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below
NCAA announced they are "receptive" to a formal waiver request for St. Thomas to bypass the current division transition rules so it looks like starting 21-22 season the Tommies will be playing in the CCHA.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

well hell yeah welcome in let's go :toot:

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
gently caress da tommies hamline gang qtiyd

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Teemu Pokemon posted:

hamline gang qtiyd

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

so who is making the discord for the 10 people who actually post in this thread?

Go Hamline.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

spwrozek posted:

so who is making the discord for the 10 people who actually post in this thread?

Go Hamline.

https://discord.gg/WsvXbV

Hamline discord got made a few years ago (it's basically NHL SAS discord but hey)

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

it's really a poastin bros circlejerk that is hockey adjacent and it rulz

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

https://twitter.com/TommieAthletics/status/1288474360743960586?s=20

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

gently caress yeah let's go :toot:

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

Given that the current arena fits around 1k and the basketball arena not much larger, I expect an announcement of a new dual use facility in the near future.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Bloopsy posted:

Given that the current arena fits around 1k and the basketball arena not much larger, I expect an announcement of a new dual use facility in the near future.

ah heh... yeah [awkwardly rubs back of head while looking at basically every WCHA reported attendance of the last few years] yeah you'll uh.. you'll be fine.

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

DJExile posted:

ah heh... yeah [awkwardly rubs back of head while looking at basically every WCHA reported attendance of the last few years] yeah you'll uh.. you'll be fine.

In the short term it will work but the UST AD said in the press conference yesterday that they are in the early stages of planning for a new arena, which would in all likelihood be somewhere off-campus since the St. Paul campus is landlocked in a residential area.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Alabama-Huntsville got a stay of execution for a year and will try to find a long-term solution :toot:

Alaska-Anchorage (no, not spacebear) plans to drop hockey :smith:

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

hopefully Anchorage gets a junior team (it'll help with NAHL teams who have to go up to Soldotna and Fairbanks, no doubt) but that sucks. they've got no money and a number of lower 48 programs shutting down until the new year was just the final blow.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Troy Queef posted:

hopefully Anchorage gets a junior team (it'll help with NAHL teams who have to go up to Soldotna and Fairbanks, no doubt) but that sucks. they've got no money and a number of lower 48 programs shutting down until the new year was just the final blow.

they and Fairbanks were staring down budget cuts for the last 5-6 years, i'm still amazed they lasted as long as they did

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.

DJExile posted:

they and Fairbanks were staring down budget cuts for the last 5-6 years, i'm still amazed they lasted as long as they did

The President of the University of Alaska system that was in charge during those budget cuts was the only final-round applicant for the President of the University of Wisconsin system. For that, and about two or three other normally full-stop what the hell are you doing boneheaded levels of stupidity, he did not get the job, and I believe was tossed from the Alaska system.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
UAH hockey has a long, storied history of getting almost-cancelled by circumstances outside their control:

- The NCAA killing men's Division II
- The demise of the CHA
- A lovely new university president installed by the Alabama system to siphon money from any programs that weren't Alabama-Tuscaloosa football
- Now the WCHA and COVID-19

I'm not surprised they've weathered another one. There are enough die-hard fans in Huntsville that they can probably fundraise indefinitely.

On top of that, several of the players from the 90's and 00's stayed in the city after school. Many of them were business and finance majors, and some own successful businesses now. One made a six-figure donation for next season.

I miss going to games. Maybe there will be some next year. :sigh:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah when UAB football got axed because of what I think was Board of Regents fuckery, I was always kind of surprised the UAH hockey program didn't go with it.

E: Don't get me wrong, i'm really glad to see they're surviving, but jesus they've been dodging bullets like crazy.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

DJExile posted:

Yeah when UAB football got axed because of what I think was Board of Regents fuckery, I was always kind of surprised the UAH hockey program didn't go with it.

E: Don't get me wrong, i'm really glad to see they're surviving, but jesus they've been dodging bullets like crazy.

i think UAH hockey was targeted first for the chop by the UA system president, it just didn't get as much attention as UAB football's demise did because of, y'know, football and Alabama and all that

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Troy Queef posted:

i think UAH hockey was targeted first for the chop by the UA system president, it just didn't get as much attention as UAB football's demise did because of, y'know, football and Alabama and all that
It was. The excuse they gave was budgetary, so the Huntsville hockey community raised something like 1.5 million dollars and said "here's next season's budget, bitches". There wasn't another good reason to cancel the program, and the whole debacle caused the university and the UA system to get some (probably unexpected) awful press.

On top of that, there were other issues with the new UAH president that I don't really remember. As I recall, he was either fired or "resigned" quite swiftly, which brought the end of the "let's quietly kill hockey" move. At least for the moment.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
St Thomas is easily the most hateable team in the CCHA. I'm glad they didn't come in and gently caress up the UMD-SCSU hatefest. It would have been really hard to focus on how much I goddamn detest SCSU with the Tommies just sitting there stuffing cake into their smooth faces.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

St Thomas is easily the most hateable team in the CCHA. I'm glad they didn't come in and gently caress up the UMD-SCSU hatefest. It would have been really hard to focus on how much I goddamn detest SCSU with the Tommies just sitting there stuffing cake into their smooth faces.

if someone with money were smart i'd want to see a Minnesota State Championship like the Beanpot/GLI, though with six teams rotating who would get the R1 byes would be difficult

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.

Troy Queef posted:

if someone with money were smart i'd want to see a Minnesota State Championship like the Beanpot/GLI, though with six teams rotating who would get the R1 byes would be difficult

Throw in North Dakota and Wisconsin, make it like Thanksgiving hoops tournaments. Not sure the feasibility of 3 games in 3 days, though.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Troy Queef posted:

Hotdish Invitational

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

Troy Queef posted:

They had one, it totally flopped

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

blackmongoose posted:

They had one, it totally flopped

how :psyduck:

like, of all the places to make a state/region college hockey tournament, how does THAT flop

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

DJExile posted:

how :psyduck:

like, of all the places to make a state/region college hockey tournament, how does THAT flop

They held it at the Excel center and most of the schools were sufficiently far away that students (and alumni who live near their school) didn't travel - the Beanpot works because all the schools are basically in Boston but Minnesota is the only school that's within an hour of the Twin Cities. Without a bunch of students showing up attendance was bad, so it got cancelled.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

while we're promoting teams to D1 how about the fuckin miami women's team that has won like 3 of the last 5 acha national titles you fucklords

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
If you're depending on Gopher fans showing up you're gonna be disappointed.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

blackmongoose posted:

They held it at the Excel center and most of the schools were sufficiently far away that students (and alumni who live near their school) didn't travel - the Beanpot works because all the schools are basically in Boston but Minnesota is the only school that's within an hour of the Twin Cities. Without a bunch of students showing up attendance was bad, so it got cancelled.

Aah, yeah hadn't thought of that.

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis

Coco13 posted:

Throw in North Dakota and Wisconsin, make it like Thanksgiving hoops tournaments. Not sure the feasibility of 3 games in 3 days, though.

Sioux fans will travel anywhere. For guaranteed games with the Minnesota teams you could count on a crowd of green jerseys.

Stitecin fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Sep 4, 2020

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

blackmongoose posted:

The GLI seems to do just fine. It is during winter break so not like a lot of kids show up. Sounds like the twin cities just don't like hockey I guess.

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

blackmongoose posted:

It was a good idea at the time. I went the first two years and yeah it was not attended well. It went away and no one really cared.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

:toot:

Toledo Blade posted:

The U.S. Hockey Hall of Fame inducted former Bowling Green coach Jerry York as part of its class of 2020.

York is the NCAA leader in wins with 1,091 as a head coach at Clarkson, BGSU, and Boston College. The upcoming season will be York's 49th, and 27th with Boston College.

York guided Bowling Green to a national championship in 1984, which remains the only team NCAA title in school history. He went 342-248-31 (.567) at Bowling Green, including three 30-win seasons.

Since taking over at Boston College, his alma mater, York's teams have won four national championships and made 12 appearances in the Frozen Four.

York was inducted along with Tony Granato, Jenny Potter, and Dean Blais when the class was announced Monday night. The class will be enshrined along with the class of 2021, which has yet to be named, in a ceremony in December, 2021.

York will be the second former Falcon in the U.S. Hockey Hall of Fame, joining player Ken Morrow, who played at BGSU 1975 to 1979. Morrow was inducted in 1995.

This latest honor is the second time in less than a year York's body of work has been recognized. In November, he became the Hockey Hall of Fame's first inductee to coach exclusively in the NCAA.

razak
Apr 13, 2016

Ready for graphing
How have folks been finding the attempted start to this years season?

I've watched a few teams that I probably would have never watched before just because "whelp the game I was going to watch is postponed".

Any good resources out there for keeping track of what is actually going to get played today?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

razak posted:

How have folks been finding the attempted start to this years season?

I've watched a few teams that I probably would have never watched before just because "whelp the game I was going to watch is postponed".

Any good resources out there for keeping track of what is actually going to get played today?

College Hockey News and USCHO are good.

Also here's this year's thread