Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inverted Sphere
Aug 19, 2013
Is it wrong if I've started quietly dreading it whenever I see there's a new update?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spaced ninja
Apr 10, 2009

Toilet Rascal
No. That’s pretty normal for a rockstar game.

Patch seems ok so far but I couldn’t really play for long, just enough to extend my streak. I fully expect animals to be spawning underground or some other fuckery by tomorrow though.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Inverted Sphere posted:

Is it wrong if I've started quietly dreading it whenever I see there's a new update?

no not at all!
maybe one day the glitches will go in our favour like happens on GTAO occasionally but a new :rockstar: patch is certainly a reason to worry

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

NPCs are so touchy in this game.

Minding my own business, trying to be an honourable outlaw, just riding through the mountains when my horse bumps another guy's. He immediately gets angry and starts shooting so I have to kill him. While I'm trying to dump his corpse in a ravine somebody else rides by and becomes a Witness, so I have to kill him too. Then it happens again! Now there are bodies everywhere when I didn't want to start any trouble in the first place.

Likewise, I paid for a wagon of lumber from the lumber yard, but as it was dark and raining I managed to immediately get the wagon stuck between some trees. While trying to figure out if it was possible to reverse the wagon I accidentally fired my revolver (not at anybody) which of course aggroed the entire lumber camp and got me killed.

I'm a very clumsy cowboy, it seems.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Random traveler spawns out in the sticks should be cut in half at least. Sometimes a dirt road in the rear end end of nowhere feels like a freeway.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Yeah, the game feels strangely overpopulated at times. Wouldn't mind it so much if robbing people were more profitable, but as it is, it tends to get in the way of the "fur-clad mountain man roughing it in the wilderness" experience a bit.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
If you wear a mask, you can just leave and you will be reported as an Unknown Suspect. However, masks do NOT work on the law so keep that in mind.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
From all the crying on Reddit, Patch New: Cowboy Boogaloo was broken as gently caress for many folks. Much disconnects, et cetera.

Me? Didn't see any issues - wandered out by Armadillo and finally got a Red Streak, at the one non-plateau spawn. (My camera refused to be activated, for unknown reasons, but trank rounds followed by .45 Long Colt means I have a new hoodie. And then I brushed and fed HORF so the honor hit for killing a sedated critter was wiped. :v: (Coyote was also well outside the supposed conditions to spawn, being clear night about 1-2 AM.)

Return to my Heartlands camp to bag some bunnies for essence-harvesting, and the Tatanka spawned right in front of me, so I got bison juice too.

GrumpyGoesWest
Apr 9, 2015

I've noticed that if your character is on alert (in a half crouching position) you can't activate any of your items on the right side of the wheel. Like metal detector or camera. Happened to me while I was trying to take a photo of a snake while it knew I was there.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
Yup, which is why I stood up and swapped to unarmed before trying. Had the same thing happen trying to photograph the Sapa cougar the second time, too.

GrumpyGoesWest
Apr 9, 2015

Wonder if that's supposed to happen or if it's a bug. Either way it's super annoying.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

I think if your character is in any sort of animation other than just "idle" you can't do anything other than pull a firearm. Happens while I'm on horseback trying to get out the ol' metal detector as well.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
New gator is dirt simple, just take the mission from hippie chick and try not to get et. Might just grind on that for samples/Crippsfodder.

Commentary from the hive of scum and villany Reddit says that NPCs are now happily slinging fire bottle, dynamite and toxic moonshine - I was kind of wondering how those revenooers were managing to murder so many lanterns at their roadblocks...

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Fertilizing threads since 2010
Legendary animals spawning in free roam now

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
The legendary boar near Thieves Landing has been spawning in Free Roam since they added Naturalist. My camp often spawns right next to it.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
I've been finding the Igula? cougar south of Blackwater, Tatanka bison, Teca gator, Emerald wolf and that black coyote near Strawberry multiple times in free roam. Had the Mud Runner spawn twice, even if it was bugged and not reacting to getting shot at the first time. (Just kept grazing while taking rifle rounds, until the killing shot.)

Tried for the Inahme elk again last night, but got the spawn-in-with-loading-screens-running glitch again.

Any leaks as to when the Legendary Caerbannog Rabbit will make an appearance?

Scherloch
Oct 28, 2010

Yeah!

Stoatbringer posted:

NPCs are so touchy in this game.

Minding my own business, trying to be an honourable outlaw, just riding through the mountains when my horse bumps another guy's. He immediately gets angry and starts shooting so I have to kill him. While I'm trying to dump his corpse in a ravine somebody else rides by and becomes a Witness, so I have to kill him too. Then it happens again! Now there are bodies everywhere when I didn't want to start any trouble in the first place.

Likewise, I paid for a wagon of lumber from the lumber yard, but as it was dark and raining I managed to immediately get the wagon stuck between some trees. While trying to figure out if it was possible to reverse the wagon I accidentally fired my revolver (not at anybody) which of course aggroed the entire lumber camp and got me killed.

I'm a very clumsy cowboy, it seems.

I think it's super dumb that if some guy starts blasting because you walked to close to him or w/e, you can't kill him without having a million witnesses wanting to report you for murder. Some NPC in Valentine killed like four random NPCs just wildly shooting at me, but if I were to plug him, I'm the one on the hook for murder.

You can run into a guy enough that he challenges you to fisticuffs, and beating him up doesn't count as assault because the AI is able to recognize that he was a willing participant. Somehow, it can't do the same for trigger happy dudes, and even knocking them unconscious runs you the risk of being reported for assault for some reason.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
"No officer, I'm not responsible for all of these dead bodies. Its that dead guy over there what done did it!" I mean if you had died, who's to say that random NPC wouldn't have also been on the hook for those murders?

Scherloch
Oct 28, 2010

Yeah!

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

"No officer, I'm not responsible for all of these dead bodies. Its that dead guy over there what done did it!" I mean if you had died, who's to say that random NPC wouldn't have also been on the hook for those murders?

My complaint was specifically about the witnesses, whose AI is able to distinguish between an assault and a fistfight, but will report you for assault or murder if you neutralize a dude that started blasting because he got angry with you for existing in his vicinity.

The good people of Valentine's reaction to me killing a guy who just killed four people by shooting wildly into a crowded saloon shouldn't be "oh my god you just murdered a man, I'm telling the law!"

Scherloch fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Aug 27, 2020

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
The fact that the bounty system can't reliably distinguish between self-defense and murder is a pretty fair criticism. It's why I chose to disable it completely. The entire thing just isn't working as it really should. Without it, people in the immediate area will react to a fight according to their own role in the game, but I won't be swarmed by dozens of bounty hunters for punching a dude in a bar.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Wasn't the (probably apocryphal) law in the West that anyone who went for his gun first was justified homicide?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

In general terms, I think it pretty much still is. Pulling a deadly weapon on someone is grounds for self-defense with equal force.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
The bounty system is pretty rough early on in the game and turned me off a bit until I made enough money to just pay the bounties off regularly. I remember the time I found my first wagon outside valentine and wanted to sell it to the fence in emerald ranch. I made it to one of the first ridges past valentine and was immediately bombarded by like 8 bounty hunters and died in seconds. I was so mad, lol.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Ygolonac posted:

Commentary from the hive of scum and villany Reddit says that NPCs are now happily slinging fire bottle, dynamite and toxic moonshine - I was kind of wondering how those revenooers were managing to murder so many lanterns at their roadblocks...

Yep some NPCs will now actually use throwable weapons, much more than before.

I've seen the O'Driscolls at the trader sale that ends at Riggs Station throw fire bottles at the buyers, insta-killing them lol

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Not sure if it's just consoles but I'm noticing far, far more free roam spawns since the latest update. Rode around for an hour or so and hit 2 gang hideouts, 3 moonshine events, 2 legendary animals, 2 defenses and a partridge in a pear tree. Oddly enough, I'm seeing fewer players which is a bit of a drag. But I'll just chalk that up to growing pains in the short term.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

fennesz posted:

Not sure if it's just consoles but I'm noticing far, far more free roam spawns since the latest update. Rode around for an hour or so and hit 2 gang hideouts, 3 moonshine events, 2 legendary animals, 2 defenses and a partridge in a pear tree. Oddly enough, I'm seeing fewer players which is a bit of a drag. But I'll just chalk that up to growing pains in the short term.

Fewer players in a session/lobby does mean more spawns. I'm still running the (PC) solo lobby thing, and am constantly running into stuff - dogs to follow, the "random dead body" that may or may not trigger *something* (last night it was a cougar attack), revenooer roadblocks galore, grave robbers, thrill seekers, that gator pack-attack on the north edge of the Bayou Nwa swamps, wounded animals to mercy kill, and so on. Wander down to try for the Teca gator, and Shady Belle will almost always pop as a hideout - clear that, get back to gatoring, oh look now it's shine op.

It was working this way when I was doing firewall fuckery for (limited-time) solo lobbies, as well, but not quite as overspawned. Kinda reminds me of FC5, at times.

I'm not certain myself, but I've read comments that free-roam spawns override Legendary ones, so you might need to clear (via action or just distancing youself) the spawn before trying for critters.

Oh yeah, treasure hunters, too - keep buying the maps and finding out I already own 'em. And running into one beggar or another every trip to St Denis.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

That's strange. Shouldn't it be the other way around? More spawns for more people.

Scherloch
Oct 28, 2010

Yeah!

Cardiovorax posted:

That's strange. Shouldn't it be the other way around? More spawns for more people.

From what I've gathered, the working theory is as follows: When you're alone, the game only has to keep track of what's within your draw-distance, and thus has more resources left over to spawn events and animals. The more players, the more resources are used to keep track of players and whatever's around them, leaving less resources to spawn events and animals.

Another theory is that the game is set to spawn stuff at a certain frequency, regardless of number of people in a lobby. When you're alone, or in a low-pop lobby, this means more stuff will spawn in your proximity, thus giving you more to do.

This is all stuff I've seen others claim, but both seem plausible.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Scherloch posted:

From what I've gathered, the working theory is as follows: When you're alone, the game only has to keep track of what's within your draw-distance, and thus has more resources left over to spawn events and animals. The more players, the more resources are used to keep track of players and whatever's around them, leaving less resources to spawn events and animals.

Another theory is that the game is set to spawn stuff at a certain frequency, regardless of number of people in a lobby. When you're alone, or in a low-pop lobby, this means more stuff will spawn in your proximity, thus giving you more to do.

This is all stuff I've seen others claim, but both seem plausible.

This is my assumption, though I have nothing to back it up. Factor in all of the camps, quests and random poo poo people are doing at any one time and that's a huge portion of the map that's already dedicated to stuff that you'll never interact with. Fewer players = more events makes perfect sense to me.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Hm, yeah, I can see that. The game can only do so much at once and the more people there are, the more locations it has to spread that over.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

FreudianSlippers posted:

Wasn't the (probably apocryphal) law in the West that anyone who went for his gun first was justified homicide?

Cardiovorax posted:

In general terms, I think it pretty much still is. Pulling a deadly weapon on someone is grounds for self-defense with equal force.

But that jive with what western movies taught me was real.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

There's a couple of times in Deadwood where they gun someone down in cold blood and go "He went for his gun" and all the witnesses just go along with it.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

FreudianSlippers posted:

There's a couple of times in Deadwood where they gun someone down in cold blood and go "He went for his gun" and all the witnesses just go along with it.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...
Is the Elephant Rifle actually good for anything? The Spingfield Rifle is stronger with Express Ammo, and the bolt action fires faster and more accurate. I mean, it's funny to knock yourself over, but so far I can't find any reason to carry it.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Nope.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

I haven't messed with it at all. Is it actually less powerful than the springfield? I just don't trust the stat bars in games like this.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

fennesz posted:

I haven't messed with it at all. Is it actually less powerful than the springfield? I just don't trust the stat bars in games like this.
It does ten more base damage per shot when using normal rifle ammunition, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's actually the better weapon in practice.

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

I'm embarrassed to ask, but which is better, high velocity or express? HV costs more, so I've just assumed its better.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Freudian slippers posted:

I'm embarrassed to ask, but which is better, high velocity or express? HV costs more, so I've just assumed its better.
Personally, I prefer HV, it increases your guns' effective range. Express does more damage, though. It's situational.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Freudian slippers posted:

The way the damage works for different ammo/guns is very janky my advice would be to watch videos because it changes weapon to weapon and distance.
HV can shoot through people so that kind of makes it a better just by have an extra feature.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8XW6yYQZYA

Also expect it to randomly change in patches probably.