Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
I remember The Eraser being pitched as like Thom just loving around on his laptop and hey here's an album, which really helped its appeal to me. Tomorrow's Modern Boxes felt a lot weaker to me, I think just because it's more just like a sonic landscape, less like a bunch of individually cohesive songs.

Also every now and again I remember Atoms for Peace. I would be so happy if they just randomly dropped another album. Such a great, weird little side project.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I like TMB better than The Eraser tbh, it’s just such a mood piece. Anima blows them both out of the water though.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
The anima movie was cool but the music was definitely the least interesting part for me personally. The eraser is good but atoms for peace and tomorrow’s modern boxes were incredibly disappointing.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

thrilla in vanilla posted:

The anima movie was cool but the music was definitely the least interesting part for me personally. The eraser is good but atoms for peace and tomorrow’s modern boxes were incredibly disappointing.

Anima has some cool music, Dawn Chorus is especially substantial. I tend to agree with the other stuff being underwhelming but this is a cool song/video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWrUEsVrdSU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I love TMB but much more side A than B. I could listen to side A forever. I find "the mother lode" to be really relaxing.

also really relaxing imo, "reverse running" on amok

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Sep 2, 2020

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Thom got hitched to Dajana Roncione.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Really nice post-wedding photo.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CFXHSUEDnrG/?igshid=16xilkzrbjllj

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
So Kid A came out 20 years ago today/tomorrow (depending on where you are) so I started digging for videos of tracks, and came across a brass rendition of "Motion Picture Soundtrack" played at a memorial service

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeI0PXj7LIw

Man, if you feel like being choked up for a while...

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.

Real Name Grover posted:

So Kid A came out 20 years ago today/tomorrow (depending on where you are) so I started digging for videos of tracks, and came across a brass rendition of "Motion Picture Soundtrack" played at a memorial service

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeI0PXj7LIw

Man, if you feel like being choked up for a while...

thanks for posting this - this video made me cry.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Puppy Galaxy fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Oct 2, 2020

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Motion Picture Soundtrack always seemed like it would work well for something like that. The harp at the end is so beautifully haunting.

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
Surely "Videotape" would be one of the single best ways to get as much crying at your funeral as possible.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
No joke I had a pretty prominent death close to me in early ‘08 and I couldn’t listen to Videotape for a bit after that.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Original run Kid A cd with the hidden booklet was the best version. Kid A special edition was lame.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I’d shell out instantly for an OKNOTOK-style anniversary package but I feel like if they were gonna do something like that they would’ve done it a month ago.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
I didn't get in on the super fancy OKNOTOK special edition but I do have the one with blue vinyl.

Meanwhile, my girlfriend got me the A Moon Shaped Pool special edition for my birthday this year and I love it and wish I knew what snippet my tape band was.

I'd jump on a Kid A one.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Framboise posted:

I didn't get in on the super fancy OKNOTOK special edition but I do have the one with blue vinyl.

Meanwhile, my girlfriend got me the A Moon Shaped Pool special edition for my birthday this year and I love it and wish I knew what snippet my tape band was.

I'd jump on a Kid A one.

The kid a special edition that was released in 2000 was just awkwardly sized so it probably won’t fit in your cd shelf (a problem they repeated with httt kinda and in rainbows special ed. definitely) and it has different artwork that’s not any better than the regular issue, just different. I don’t really like it as much tbh.

The normal first cd pressing had a glossy black tray with a really cool comic book style booklet hidden underneath with translucent paper and fun pictures.

Amnesiac special edition was great though.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

I grabbed some high quality flacs of In Rainbows to replace whatever quality MP3s I downloaded in 2007 and listened to the whole thing on some really good headphones. Heard a synth part on Videotape for the first time after hundreds (thousands?) of listens. Pretty neat

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
I really do wonder why they didn't stick with the far better version of Videotape that they did live. Maybe it's because they wanted to play up the illusion that's going on in the song?

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Framboise posted:

I really do wonder why they didn't stick with the far better version of Videotape that they did live. Maybe it's because they wanted to play up the illusion that's going on in the song?

For the uninitiated: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTZt6Dzkq6w

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Puppy Galaxy posted:

I grabbed some high quality flacs of In Rainbows to replace whatever quality MP3s I downloaded in 2007 and listened to the whole thing on some really good headphones. Heard a synth part on Videotape for the first time after hundreds (thousands?) of listens. Pretty neat

I use in rainbows a lot if I’m testing out/moving around speakers or whatever. It’s a really well produced and mastered record.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Framboise posted:

As the story goes, the live version is actually what they recorded. Apparently Thom and Nigel were pulling out their hair in the studio because the track just wasn’t gelling like they wanted, and an annoyed Jonny kicked them out until he had a crack at the mix. He stripped it down, chopped up Phil’s drum track, and that’s the version that ended up on the album.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
It sounds like they did try to record Videotape the way it was done live but nobody was happy with it

Thom Yorke posted:

We were looking for something that had a real effect on us, an emotional impact, and that happened when we were doing Videotape and I was semi kicked out of the studio for being a negative influence. Stanley and I came back a bit worse for wear at about 11 in the evening and Jonny and Nigel had done this stuff to it that reduced us both to tears. It completely blew my mind. They’d stripped all the nonsense away that I’d been piling onto it, and what was left was this quite pure sentiment.

e:f,b

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I guess KIDANOTAKID isn't happening then. :(

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

stev posted:

Sucks :( I would buy it in a heartbeat, Kid A is my favourite album of all time

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Maybe they're going to release it next year on the 21st anniversary.

Kid A will officially be 21 and therefore no longer A Kid.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

stev posted:

has this been confirmed one way or another? I know there were a bunch of articles about it being in the works last year.

edit: and in April

https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/radiohead-kid-a-20th-anniversary/

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
Maybe delayed by covid. They might rework it to Amnesiac's 20th next year instead

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
Ed o’Brian has posted a lot of stuff on Instagram about how they aren’t doing an anniversary thing for this one but he’s as close to being an honorary member of the band as Clive deamer so who knows. Ha ha ha

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

thrilla in vanilla posted:

Ed o’Brian has posted a lot of stuff on Instagram about how they aren’t doing an anniversary thing for this one but he’s as close to being an honorary member of the band as Clive deamer so who knows. Ha ha ha

I remember seeing some comments that seemed like he was being purposefully evasive in the Radiohead way but maybe I’m just misremembering. Can’t imagine they won’t do some sort of deluxe reissue at some point even if it’s not this year, it’s kind of their most important record, right?

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
If there’s any album whose artwork deserves to be in an exorbitant and absurdly priced collector’s edition it’s Kid A. Don’t let me down Tchock.

Action Serious
Feb 2, 2009
I wouldn’t be shocked if they just roll a Kid A reissue into an Amnesiac anniversary and just go all out. I figure if they go all out with both there’s a better chance of folks dropping $250-300 on a combined reissue vinyl set that includes both with art books or whatever rather than $150 on Kid A (certainly a lot of interest) and $150 on Amnesiac (probably less outside of freaks like me).

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Amnesiac is the better album.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, Kid A is great, but I guess I never understood why it’s almost fetishized. Amnesiac (plus b-sides), IR, and TKOL are all better albums for me.

The subjectivity of music!

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

HD DAD posted:

Yeah, Kid A is great, but I guess I never understood why it’s almost fetishized. Amnesiac (plus b-sides), IR, and TKOL are all better albums for me.

The subjectivity of music!

It's because it defied expectations and the stir that caused at the time it was released.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Kid A is one of the all-time greatest feats of track sequencing on an album. I'm not saying Amnesiac is poorly sequenced or anything, but Kid A is peak.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

I'm still a Kid A 20th anniversary truther. cryptic thom yorke tweets are usually a good sign

https://twitter.com/thomyorke/status/1313120404081442817?s=20

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I wonder what kind of material they have for a box set? Demos would be cool but between amnesiac and all the b-sides I don’t know how many unreleased Kid A era songs there are.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

HD DAD posted:

IR and TKOL are all better albums

:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

HD DAD posted:

IR, and TKOL AMSP are all better albums