Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
How the ever loving gently caress is Infinity Train still rated TV-PG!? :catstare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

readingatwork posted:

How the ever loving gently caress is Infinity Train still rated TV-PG!? :catstare:

It's really hard to comprehend how this show gets away with everything. The season started off with a four member cast. By the end, two of them had loving died, on-screen. I don't think there's a single kids cartoon out there that's done this. I mean, gently caress, one of those characters was murdered by another, and the murderer tried to get somebody else too before getting killed. Attempted and successful murder is quite out there and even the "oh it's not a human" excuse only works for one of the dead characters. I guess they probably have something in mind to take the edge off and maybe have Simon somehow resurrect as karmic punishment, but in this context, it's seriously just him getting killed. That's it. A human principal cast member in a TV-PG show just died horrendously.

Anyway I liked it, hopefully Turner or whoever is in charge pulls their heads out their rear end and lets them make more.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Infinity Train finale:

:stonk: Show for kids, right. :stonklol:
I wonder how long Grace was trapped in her memories, easily weeks or even months judging by how long Simon’s hair had grown, and how much he’d restructured the Apex, got a new throne and coat, etc.

drat, I hope there’s more to come.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

The_Doctor posted:

Infinity Train finale:

:stonk: Show for kids, right. :stonklol:
I wonder how long Grace was trapped in her memories, easily weeks or even months judging by how long Simon’s hair had grown, and how much he’d restructured the Apex, got a new throne and coat, etc.

drat, I hope there’s more to come.

I don't think she was trapped for months, unless that process also sustains her...people on the train still have to eat and drink water right? More likely after Simon left that car he just used the grapple hook system he still had instead of having to trudge through all the cars and deal with whatever gimmick they had going on. Still could've taken a long while. His number is also extremely high when she shows up.

That death was pretty hosed up, they went the extra mile with that.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Every moment of that was incredible. Someone needs to ask One-One what's up with all the ways someone can die on the train. I'd say that maybe people who die on the train get kicked off because they've rejected the therapy or they reset back to a younger self, but Owen Dennis has said the train is just a dangerous place. I liked the origami car and Hazel choosing to leave with Amelia. I hope they get to make a book 4.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

kidcoelacanth posted:

i feel like i should watch amphibia

You should. It's real good.

Also MarcyxAnne looks promising.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Bobulus posted:

That's about how I expected the last two episodes to go, but, still, yeesh.

If there is a fourth season, I expect we'll learn something about the ghom, the roach monsters. The one that ate Simon's lifeforce projected an image on it's side and then exploded. Very strange.

I think that's supposed to be the innards of the Gohm being made visible due to the light of whatever happened making it visible through the ghom's skin. Think how you can see the innards of a water flea

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

galenanorth posted:

Every moment of that was incredible. Someone needs to ask One-One what's up with all the ways someone can die on the train. I'd say that maybe people who die on the train get kicked off because they've rejected the therapy or they reset back to a younger self, but Owen Dennis has said the train is just a dangerous place. I liked the origami car and Hazel choosing to leave with Amelia. I hope they get to make a book 4.

I might be remembering wrong, but I'm like 90% sure Dennis said back in the AMA after season 2 ended that if you die on the train, that's it. You're just an unsolved missing persons case in the real world forevermore.

I liked that they kept updating the end cards every episode like the last two seasons. Here's hoping for a book 4 cause drat.

Bobulus posted:

That's about how I expected the last two episodes to go, but, still, yeesh.

If there is a fourth season, I expect we'll learn something about the ghom, the roach monsters. The one that ate Simon's lifeforce projected an image on it's side and then exploded. Very strange.

I'm kind of curious where it would go.

Each season has spun out of the previous one, and so the obvious paths to follow are either Grace and the new Apex, or Amelia and Hazel. But each season has also had new protagonists so I figure Grace and the Apex are out (I mean, you could make one of the little Apex kids the protagonist, but as long as they're all still hanging out together and with Grace, there wouldn't be that much of a point). Maybe a flashback season where we see Amelia's journey between the end of Book 1 and the "present"? Maybe do half that and half on her and Hazel's journey investigating cars?

As for the exploding, I feel like maybe it has something to do with his number. Maybe the numbers provide energy that they suck out, but since Simon's was so high, it exploded from too much power? Or alternately, we've never actually seen one finish killing a person before this point, maybe they just naturally explode after killing? I mean, that doesn't really make sense, but making sense isn't exactly what this show's about.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Aug 28, 2020

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Series finale infinity train spoilers.

It will never cease to amaze me how willing this show is to straight up just ice some people. People die on the train and it's super hosed. That was super cool, and I'm super curious what happens to Grace when she eventually gets off the train. Too bad this isn't getting picked up again, I like how they always leave a little info for a new show, but still wrap everything up.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

He loving melted! You could see his skeleton and everything!

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
Normally, I'm not a fan of continuing animated series through comics, but I'd totally be down for an IT graphic novel.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I’d be fine with them just listing out all their ideas for other seasons in a big blog post. It’s about the concepts as much as the execution for me.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Fantastic season. Really poetic that Simon gets killed off by the same thing that traumatized him when he was the child but this time no-one was there to save him, entirely due to his own actions. Grace also tried to save him both times purely out of the goodness of her heart but he was too far gone the second time. That laugh he did was absolutely bonkers.

So I guess it's looking like next season is going to be Amelia and Hazel's awkward adventures?

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
The only thing I'll say is that in Season one, in episode 7 we meet Mirror Tulip. Cue the second season being about Mirror-Tulip-Come-Lake. Season 2, in episode 7 we're properly introduced to the Mall car with The Apex. Cue Season 3 being about Grace, Simon, and The Apex. In Season 3, by Episode 7 we're properly introduced to a non-Antagonistic Amelia, and I'll leave it at that.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
Infinity Train Finale I really hope they get a few more seasons. It’s a great show. And that finale, Christ. Simon was a dick, but he really went off the deep end there.

I thought he was going to become a roach, not bloody melt and dissolve.

Next season I’d like to see more Amelia. But we get an episode midway that resolves the Hazel/Grace relationship.

Is there any way to officially support this show from overseas (Australia)

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

SomeJazzyRat posted:

The only thing I'll say is that in Season one, in episode 7 we meet Mirror Tulip. Cue the second season being about Mirror-Tulip-Come-Lake. Season 2, in episode 7 we're properly introduced to the Mall car with The Apex. Cue Season 3 being about Grace, Simon, and The Apex. In Season 3, by Episode 7 we're properly introduced to a non-Antagonistic Amelia, and I'll leave it at that.

Wow, I didn't realize that it was so down to a formula.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

My, that certainly was some Infinity Train!

I also had the sense that there'd been several days passage of time during Grace's fugue state.Simon's hair hadn't grown, he'd just stopped tying it up--but there'd been at least enough time for the Apex kids to have learned the rituals of the New Order.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Binged S1 of Infinity Train yesterday, really enjoying it. Came here for Owl House, leaving with a new show. A steal at twice the price.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Madurai posted:

My, that certainly was some Infinity Train!

I also had the sense that there'd been several days passage of time during Grace's fugue state.Simon's hair hadn't grown, he'd just stopped tying it up--but there'd been at least enough time for the Apex kids to have learned the rituals of the New Order.

Enough time had passed for Simon to write his book, so there must have been a week or two at the least I think. His hair changes a bit in different shots, in some its way passed his shoulders while in others it looks about the same as before.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

readingatwork posted:

TV-PG is a pretty permissive rating. :shrug:

the TV- ratings are all fundamentally up to a network's S&P rather than any central governing body, but generally you can get away with lethal violence in TV-PG provided there's no graphic on-screen gore, you can have light swearing, and you can have sexual dialogue and drug references as long as they're not explicit.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

TV-PG is a pretty permissive rating. :shrug:

the TV- ratings are all fundamentally up to a network's S&P rather than any central governing body, but generally you can get away with lethal violence in TV-PG provided there's no graphic on-screen gore, you can have light swearing, and you can have sexual dialogue and drug references as long as they're not explicit.

the lack of a conventional network S&P to constrain them is probably how they've pushed it so far

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

SomeJazzyRat posted:

She definitely has character arc potential now that she's been paired with what's effectively her turtle daughter.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Brain is most famously voiced by disgusting white supremacist Steven Crowder lmao. Although he was no longer with the show by then.

That I had to check he didn't do the Jeckle and Hyde song speaks to how much I like that song.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Alright, YBOS, pretty good but a little rushed.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Owl House Finale Speculation:

Wonder who the (supposed by me) betrayer is, you cant really tell build or height but they seem to be able to walk freely so I doubt its amity, unless she be faking.

Good episode, I really like how they use magic in this show, very utilitarian view of it.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Owl House: Was a bit disappointed that Luz' friends didn't really accomplish anything. I don't think leading a chant helped any, and Amity didn't even get a line!

Sharkopath posted:

Wonder who the (supposed by me) betrayer is, you cant really tell build or height but they seem to be able to walk freely so I doubt its amity, unless she be faking.

Did I miss some indication that the masked person was some sort of traitor in the ranks??

Also, I wonder if young Lilith's similarity to Willow is a hint at a path Willow might be taking in the future.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Sharkopath posted:

Good episode, I really like how they use magic in this show, very utilitarian view of it.

It's definitely not Amity. I don't think a betrayal arc from her is impossible, but if so it'll be a totally transparent, heat of the moment sort of thing. Anything covert and premeditated like this that casts doubt on whether her behavior is genuine would be the worst kind of queerbaiting and is a complete nonstarter imo.

Personally I'm expecting more of a Flutterina type situation where it's a new character whose intentions are made immediately obvious to the audience.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Argue posted:

Owl House: Was a bit disappointed that Luz' friends didn't really accomplish anything. I don't think leading a chant helped any, and Amity didn't even get a line!

Did I miss some indication that the masked person was some sort of traitor in the ranks??

Also, I wonder if young Lilith's similarity to Willow is a hint at a path Willow might be taking in the future.

I took the emperors line to mean that specific person was going to keep an eye on the owl house, which i further reached to mean they were an infiltrator. Like cattail said they may be a new character though.

Not spoiler note I really loved the way the emperor moves around, his weird unfolding rotation teleport was really cool and creepy.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
So the big twist coming at some point is that the emperor is a human, right? His staff looks kinda tech-y to me.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

TwoPair posted:

So the big twist coming at some point is that the emperor is a human, right? His staff looks kinda tech-y to me.

His portal looks a lot like Stanford Pines', is all I'm saying.

At the very least, I'm glad they're confident of getting another season.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The infiltrator is obviously Hooty, as part of Hooty's 527-step plan to seize control of both the Boiling Isles and Earth.

So Lilith sleeps on the couch now, right?

Madurai posted:

At the very least, I'm glad they're confident of getting another season.
I think they got one of those "second season greenlit months before the first episode aired" deals.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Funky Valentine posted:

The infiltrator is obviously Hooty, as part of Hooty's 527-step plan to seize control of both the Boiling Isles and Earth.

So Lilith sleeps on the couch now, right?

I think they got one of those "second season greenlit months before the first episode aired" deals.

This. Pretty sure the second season got greenlit before the first episode even aired. That was the hype on this show.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
This finale feels like it was almost completely written before most other parts of the show. Gus and Willow barely did anything and Amity was so harshly put out of commission that it seems like those characters weren't even planned by the time they outlined the episode.

I guess it's good that someone at least asked, "hey what's Amity doing during all this?" But the reply seems to have been, "Oh well yeah, she's just not around..let's say she broke a leg or something, whatever."
If her absence was not explained at all, people would totally assume that she's the masked person at the end.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Guess Luz's summer vacation might go a bit longer than expected.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
It's interesting to know that Luz's glyph magic is useless in her world and is something based on the intrinsic nature of the Boiling Isles. Otoh, the magic of the denizens of the Boiling Isles (at least with Lilith) works without issue.

Regarding the emperor, he's clearly trying to unite the worlds in a malicious version of the ending of Star vs. though the endgame to what this unification is supposed to do is unclear

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Gus's dad is voiced by Tygan from XCOM2 and that was weirdly distracting.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
From what it seems like through the show, Luz uses glyphs that she finds in the elements themselves in the burning isles to make her magic, maybe pulling from the isles themselves to conjure. In the human world, those elements or maybe have different ones that she doesn't know, so they won't work.

People like Eda and Lilith don't even need glyphs, they can just draw a circle and create an element or effect, or are just naturally more magical/in-tune with magic because of their lives on the isles.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Xelkelvos posted:

It's interesting to know that Luz's glyph magic is useless in her world and is something based on the intrinsic nature of the Boiling Isles. Otoh, the magic of the denizens of the Boiling Isles (at least with Lilith) works without issue.

PicklePants posted:

From what it seems like through the show, Luz uses glyphs that she finds in the elements themselves in the burning isles to make her magic, maybe pulling from the isles themselves to conjure. In the human world, those elements or maybe have different ones that she doesn't know, so they won't work.

People like Eda and Lilith don't even need glyphs, they can just draw a circle and create an element or effect, or are just naturally more magical/in-tune with magic because of their lives on the isles.

Well they explain pretty early on that the witches/residents of the Boiling Isles get their magic from their hearts (though they say it in a joke so it's easy to forget) because everyone has weird magic sacs of bile attached to their hearts. Luz doesn't have that, but apparently there's just kind of magic in the Isles themselves, probably because of the titan they're built on, so she's probably drawing on that with her glyphs. So back in "our" world, the glyphs are useless, but Lilith's (and probably every other character's) literally born with it.

However, Eda does say back in her first magic lesson that witches used magic before the bile sac days, so maybe sooner or later Luz will figure that out.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Also interesting to note that even in the human realm the glyph wasn't completely inert; the paper still got consumed, but the spell fizzled. Perhaps there is still some ambient magical energy on earth, just that it's much weaker than on the Boiling Isles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

I'd be super down for some episodes where they reverse the portal fantasy and have wacky hijinks on Earth.