Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

young tories are always weird cause you can see the damage behind their eyes already

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

twoday
May 4, 2005

A classic:

DarkEuphoria
Nov 7, 2012

Bruce Sterling talks about a type of cultural temperament that the quotes and images itt made me think of. Here’s a quote of him speaking in 2009. Though this speech is a decade old now, Chairman Bruce is a futurist so he tends to be ahead of the curve. I’ve actually thought of this speech a lot in the last 10 years.

quote:

In Gothic High-Tech, you’re Steve Jobs. You’ve built an iPhone which is a brilliant technical innovation, but you also had to sneak off to Tennessee to get a liver transplant because you’re dying of something secret and horrible.
And you’re a captain of American industry. You’re not some General Motors kinda guy. On the contrary, you’re a guy who’s got both hands on the steering wheel of a functional car.
But you’re still Gothic High-Tech because death is waiting. And not a kindly death either, but a sinister, creeping, tainted wells of Silicon Valley kind of Superfund thing that steals upon you month by month, and that you have to hide from the public and from the bloggers and from the shareholders.
And you just grit your teeth and pull out the next one. A heroic story, but very Gothic. Something that belongs in an eighteenth century horror novel. Kind of the “man in the castle” figure.
Or from a political aspect. The ultimate Gothic High-Tech figure: Nicolas Sarkozy. You’re Nicolas Sarkozy, you’re brilliant, you’re poly-ethnic, you have no ideology. You don’t care about any particular line, political line, and you have no alternative. You sucked all the air out of the political room, it’s just all about you.

There’s very little you can do about Sarkozy because there’s no way to debate him. If you debate him, you just make him stronger. If you ignore him he simply steals your clothes. So the only thing you can do is wait and hope that he changes his mind. And he will, because he will cheerfully campaign against himself.
He will reboot. In six months or eight months, it’s like “Oh, you didn’t like my gangster bling-bling Sarkozy, well how about my top end literary guy Sarkozy? You didn’t like wife number one, wife number two, how about the new one who’s the cool folk singer?”

These are Gothic High-Tech figures, people who position themselves in the narrative rather than building any permanent infrastructure. That’s what you’ve been telling each other to do all day. That’s why you love these guys. They’re positioning themselves in the narrative rather than building any permanent infrastructure. They’re cheerleaders, they’re not leaders. They’re cheerleaders.
And if the narrative happens to be poverty, floods, air-crashes, drug addiction, infidelity, whatever, they’re going to be good to go.

The flip-side of Gothic High-Tech is downmarket, and it’s called “Favela Chic.” Favela Chic.
What is Favela Chic? Favela Chic is when you have lost everything material, everything you built and everything you had, but you’re still wired to the gills! And really big on Facebook. That’s Favela Chic.
You lost everything, you have no money, you have no career, you have no health insurance, you’re not even sure where you live, you don’t have children, and you have no steady relationship or any set of dependable friends. And it’s hot. It’s a really cool place to be.
Full speech transcript:
https://www.wired.com/2011/02/transcript-of-reboot-11-speech-by-bruce-sterling-25-6-2009/

This image of Julian Assange and his legal team was from about a year after this speech and really fit the theme. I often recall this picture when feeling a particular 2010 sense of dread.

As time goes on, the sub context here gets stranger as the Assange story continues to be written.

Things have certainly changed in a decade, but mostly in the way that everything has just continued to collapse at varying, but ultimately increasing rates. Seemingly inevitable, because there is no one left in charge who remembers work that isn’t grift.

Anyway, here’s a more contemporary and explicitly American example of this aesthetic, from Monday at the RNC

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

twoday posted:

A classic:

If civilization still exists in 200 years this image should be the cover of any book about 21st Century America.

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china

quote:

Kenosha County encompasses the City of Kenosha along with 11 villages and towns that together create a welcoming sense of place here in southeastern Wisconsin. From the magnificent shore of Lake Michigan on its eastern border to a rural countryside to the west, you’ll find an array of diverse and unique communities to explore.

Known for their friendly people and one-of-a-kind experiences, our Kenosha County communities offer not only a great place to visit and play, but also to live, work, and invest in. The Kenosha Area CVB is proud to partner with our local municipalities, as well as the Kenosha Area Chamber of Commerce, Kenosha Area Business Alliance and other organizations, to invite visitors from around the world to experience all that Kenosha County offers.

City of Kenosha

The City of Kenosha is Wisconsin’s fourth largest city and has the unique fortune of being bordered by the magnificent Lake Michigan. With a population approaching 100,000, it’s right in the middle of opportunity, offering small town charm balanced with urban conveniences and big city amenities close by in Chicago and Milwaukee. You’ll hardly want for those other cities, though, with Kenosha’s miles of beaches, parks and promenades inviting you to enjoy the lakefront lifestyle all year-round. Kenosha’s harbor is home to a thriving sport fishing industry, sailing and boating opportunities, and one of the Great Lakes’ last wooden schooners Tall Ship Red Witch. Kenosha is proud to welcome a fleet of visiting ships in 2019, as the Kenosha Tall Ships® festival debuts Aug. 1-4. Throughout the spring and summer months, weekends are filled with festivals and fairs, outdoor concerts and classic car shows paying homage to the city’s rich auto-making history. Its flourishing arts scene is evident in the many galleries, performance venues and cultural events that celebrate creativity and collaboration. Kenosha’s public museum system is among its gems, featuring the Kenosha Public Museum, The Civil War Museum and Dinosaur Discovery Museum, each a Smithsonian Institution Affiliate offering world-class exhibits and programming.

With its central location between Chicago and Milwaukee along Interstate 94/41, Kenosha is a progressive, business-friendly community that’s home to several major corporations including Jockey International, Uline, Snap-on and Amazon. You may also recognize some famous names who hail from Kenosha, including actors Mark Ruffalo, Daniel J. Travanti and Don Ameche, as well as famed actor, writer, director and producer, Orson Welles. Professional athletes Trae Waynes, Melvin Gordon III and Alan Ameche are also from Kenosha.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Mike Pence in a log cabin talking about removing regulations for experimental medical treatments was purestrain
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_ydWEAdwlA

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Ahahahaha

Big Mad Drongo posted:

I once read a short story where the entire world was engulfed in a permanent, steadily growing grinding noise that ended with the sky cracking and falling apart, revealing machinery where outer space should be. This aesthetic really reminds me of that work, shame I can't remember the title.

What was the story

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
might change the thread title so it doesn't have "amerikan" in it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksDMaQes03c

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

lmao

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Finicums Wake posted:

the new american gothic reminds me of david lynch

i was looking at this thread and my wife asked if i was watching twin peaks

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

twin peaks season three is a near perfect colonial american grimoire

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

Only registered members can see post attachments!

twoday
May 4, 2005

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

this one's good

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

hi im new to the thread but perhaps this fits (unmute the sound!!!)

https://i.imgur.com/ZMahjc3.mp4

Live Free
Jan 5, 2019

by VideoGames
This thread is cool. I hope this picture fits the aesthetic

Malkina_
May 13, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Malkina_
May 13, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Gaupo Guacho posted:

please post pictures of smiling white families with deeply pregnant white mothers standing in wheat fields to cleanse this aesthetic degeneration

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Gaupo Guacho posted:

please post pictures of smiling white families with deeply pregnant white mothers standing in wheat fields to cleanse this aesthetic degeneration

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

pushpins
Sep 11, 2006

Title text (optional; no images are allowed, only text)
https://twitter.com/Liz_Cheney/status/1276591702321647616?s=20

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Does he respirate

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I WAS TAKING A SCREENSHOT OF THIS FOR THIS THREAD lmao

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

The Saucer Hovers has issued a correction as of 03:07 on Aug 28, 2020

DarkEuphoria
Nov 7, 2012

shamelessly stolen from the Trump thread

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/alconqueso/status/1299193183675584513

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

i say swears online posted:

I WAS TAKING A SCREENSHOT OF THIS FOR THIS THREAD lmao

haha

i immediately assumed someone else would be on top of things

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

jesus christ the atreides energy

i haven't even finished that terrible book and i know a future magical dictator when i see one

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

DarkEuphoria
Nov 7, 2012

twoday
May 4, 2005

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Mark Fisher posted:

“The ideological blackmail that has been in place since the original Live Aid concerts in 1985 has insisted that ‘caring individuals’ could end famine directly, without the need for any kind of political solution or systemic reorganization. It is necessary to act straight away, we were told; politics has to be suspended in the name of ethical immediacy. Bono’s Product Red brand wanted to dispense even with the philanthropic intermediary. ‘Philanthropy is like hippy music, holding hands’, Bono proclaimed. ‘Red is more like punk rock, hip hop, this should feel like hard commerce’. The point was not to offer an alternative to capitalism - on the contrary, Product Red’s ‘punk rock’ or ‘hip hop’ character consisted in its ‘realistic’ acceptance that capitalism is the only game in town. No, the aim was only to ensure that some of the proceeds of particular transactions went to good causes. The fantasy being that western consumerism, far from being intrinsically implicated in systemic global inequalities, could itself solve them. All we have to do is buy the right products.”

Jacques Derrida posted:

“I know a sentence that is still more terrifying, more terribly ambiguous than “I am alone,” and it is, isolated from any other determining context, the sentence that would say to the other: “I am alone with you.” Meditate on the abyss of such a sentence: I am alone with you, with you I am alone, alone in all the world.”

twoday
May 4, 2005

perfectly captures the essence of a mall macy's

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyN88-mEwpg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

twoday posted:

perfectly captures the essence of a mall macy's

the sears near me that finally closed down like a year ago only recently started getting demolished :rip: