Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

In Gooncrawl there's a melee range Ice spell that knocks people back too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

itsameta4
Sep 29, 2013
Super happy about the identification and throwing stuff making it into Gooncrawl! I've been playing Bloatcrawl2 for a while because of those and a few other things, but now I'm back on Gooncrawl. Feels good.

Speaking of the good QOL changes the devs have done, there's another (completely unadvertised) one from last summer. You can now autoexclude items from the Drop menu without having to go to a separate screen. Here's the commit:
https://github.com/crawl/crawl/commit/faf41a374d27c23002ebb7f4831033a95c112511

Looks pretty huge, so I'd understand not wanting to merge it. It is pretty convenient, though.

I also really like the ?Acquirement changes. Not sure how the rest of the thread feels about it but I think seeing the different options makes for a more interesting choice than just basically always picking armor, to try and fill your auxiliary slots. Jewelry is usually disappointing, and weapons I usually have figured out by the time I'm finding them. :shrug:

Also, with most malmutation being stat-drain now, does it make sense to bring back amulets of sustain abilities?

Anyway thanks for all your hard work, Floodkiller.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
how do i avoid getting abyssed? how do i not die to tentacle monster when abyssed?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
There are only really two things that can reliably abyss you: banishment spells from higher-end casters and the occasional randomly generated Distortion weapon. The casters you shut down with Silence or something like that, although (as I have mentioned) they use that ability so rarely that I've not been to the Abyss in ages. The weapons you can simply avoid by not getting hit, so when you see a humanoid enemy with a magical melee weapon, try not to do that unless you know what the weapon does. Distortion is one of the rarer brands, though, and even then it only triggers banishment on a 10% chance - although that also works just as fine for you as it does for enemies.

Lugonu makes you immune to distortion.

Once you are in the Abyss and too weak to fight the enemies, your best bet is to pick a direction and keep running until you find a portal out. The Abyss is constantly changing around you even while you're within it, so a difficult enemy can be escaped and then just poof out of existence. Be sure not to use one of the portals further down, though. The Abyss has multiple layers and they're progressively more dangerous. The top layer is fairly tame, all things considered.

Reginald Bathwater
Dec 19, 2009

MINE EYES CAN BUT WEEP AS THEY BEAR WITNESS TO THE MAJESTY... THE BFG 9000!
It's usually Erolcha, Louise or a wizard/ogre mage when you have 1 pip of MR

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Reginald Bathwater posted:

It's usually Erolcha, Louise or a wizard/ogre mage when you have 1 pip of MR

The most reliable early IDing game for me has been to target scrolls first to get blinking, teleport, fog, mapping, and silence as quickly as possible. These uniques are great targets for silence scrolls.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
If you're playing a Gnoll under Ru and you sacrifice a skill, does your skill training rebalance to other skills? Or are you just permanently dumping 3% of your experience into Stealth, Dodging, etc. forever?

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Epsilon Plus posted:

If you're playing a Gnoll under Ru and you sacrifice a skill, does your skill training rebalance to other skills? Or are you just permanently dumping 3% of your experience into Stealth, Dodging, etc. forever?
I didn't test this specifically but I did test maxing out skills early (with a manual, for instance) and maxed out skills don't uselessly suck XP, but it was very hard to detect the difference when you're splitting between so many skills anyway.

So: don't worry about it.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

The latest trunk casualty has been announced, controlled blink.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Einwand posted:

Next trunk casualty: Controlled movement. It's too powerful, and is far too optimal.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Einwand posted:

lmao

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I'm actually surprised to hear that it still existed. I thought they got rid of that spell ages ago, it's way too useful and reliable to fit into the current Trunk design philosophy.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
They did reduce the Orb effect on blink so the scroll version is not affected and you can use Passage of Golubria with some penalization (shorter time, less accurate). Shuffling down the powers but it does mean Translocations is lacking a capstone now. has Disjunction left (does anyone use it with that contam on cast?)

Sage Grimm fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Aug 23, 2020

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Sage Grimm posted:

They did reduce the Orb effect on blink so the scroll version is not affected and you can use Passage of Golubria with some penalization (shorter time, less accurate). Shuffling down the powers but it does mean Translocations is lacking a capstone now. has Disjunction left (does anyone use it with that contam on cast?)

Well, they might use it now that I think Invis is the last big contam source that is beneficial.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Einwand posted:

lmao

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

at this point, the Translocation capstone should just be Lugonu's self-banishment ability

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Phoneposting or I’d go digging myself, but does anyone have a link to their reasoning for removing staves of summoning & wizardry? Wiz I can guess at it being uninteresting and covered by the ring, I think? But I don’t know why summoning was singled out among the non-wiz staves. Do they think it’s too strong?

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007
It's probably something like 'not nerfing Summoning is illegal'.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Chakan posted:

Phoneposting or I’d go digging myself, but does anyone have a link to their reasoning for removing staves of summoning & wizardry? Wiz I can guess at it being uninteresting and covered by the ring, I think? But I don’t know why summoning was singled out among the non-wiz staves. Do they think it’s too strong?

here (summoning) and here (wizardry). it seems like they want staves to all have a melee effect now, so staves of conjuration (and earth?) got reworked and these two got removed

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Summoning is dead-rear end simple: on-hit chance to auto-summon a "decoy" nearby. Throw in Abjuration on-hit for good measure since the other options have disappeared.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

someone awful. posted:

here (summoning) and here (wizardry). it seems like they want staves to all have a melee effect now, so staves of conjuration (and earth?) got reworked and these two got removed

I disagree with Wiz, but don’t feel it’s a big deal. There’s a rung that does the same thing and stacking the buff isn’t really useful. Rings are a little cramped so maybe I would have removed the ring instead, but whatever.
Summoning, however, really feels like they’re just cutting it to have a nice clean design sheet. I’m sure they tried a few different evocation-on-hit choices and didn’t think they were fitting, but just removing it doesn’t seem like the solution. It also make summoning, a school that’s notorious for how finicky it is to transition to late-game of a 3-5 rune run, worse at the point where you start picking up staves.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Einwand posted:

Why rework something when you can just kill it completely? Now you get to hoard the randomly generated scrolls you come across and never waste your time investing in translocations. Thanks for saving me a shitload experience in something other than conjurations and fire/ice magic.

Why do I feel like Necromutation is on the chopping block next?

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

FulsomFrank posted:

Why do I feel like Necromutation is on the chopping block next?

i think it's more likely that it will slowly have features removed from it because it's "overly complex" and then after a few patches of this it will be removed for "not being interesting or doing enough"

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Because it's useful and has no random 5% chance of loving you over every time you use it.

cock hero flux posted:

i think it's more likely that it will slowly have features removed from it because it's "overly complex" and then after a few patches of this it will be removed for "not being interesting or doing enough"
Although that also works.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

when they remove it they'll put in a fixedart that does what it used to do, though, and then if anyone complains they'll point at that and go "see, it still exists, it's more interesting this way"

the fixedart will be quietly removed a few patches later

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Fixedart medium armor with decent pluses and no other special properties than making you undead (Bone Mail?) could be kind of interesting, imo. Just not at the expense of Necromutation.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

TOME has some equipment of that sort, it's pretty interesting to put on an item and suddenly no longer need breathe at the expense of no longer being able to use your healing infusions. It also does other things, I've just not played the game in ages and can't remember the specifics.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

cock hero flux posted:

when they remove it they'll put in a fixedart that does what it used to do, though, and then if anyone complains they'll point at that and go "see, it still exists, it's more interesting this way"

the fixedart will be quietly removed a few patches later

I'm all for a god that punishes the devs' intentions by gaining piety only through the sacrifice of rand and unrandarts to gain the powers of said rand and unrandarts

It can be Gilgamesh the Collector because you know he's looking for that one sword

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

I've been told to start playing Gooncrawl instead of .25, and while some of the changes (that I've noticed so far, I'm not great at Dungeon Crawl) are pretty nice, I gotta ask: will ghost vaults ever make it in? I think they're rather interesting conceptually, although they're not all that interesting mechanically.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Imo add ghost vaults but also keep free roaming ghosts.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

add a ghost branch that just contains the entire ghosts file, enter if you dare

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

cock hero flux posted:

add a ghost branch that just contains the entire ghosts file, enter if you dare

put it after Tomb so everyone knows that this is the final area of the game

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

Is there any good way to get a collection of morgue files from a webtiles server without writing a scraper to do it? If I just popped into the right Discord server or IRC room, is there a chance of getting an admin to bundle them all up and stick them somewhere for me to download? It looks like a good chunk of what I need is part of crawl/scoring but I'd rather write my own and get some practice parsing text files.

I guess a better question is: do you think if I go crawling the morgues for these servers myself that they'll IP ban whatever computer I'm doing the crawling on, or do you think it's unlikely to go noticed?

(and related, since I was poking around various places: how'd this person win with only two runes?)

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Epsilon Plus posted:

Is there any good way to get a collection of morgue files from a webtiles server without writing a scraper to do it? If I just popped into the right Discord server or IRC room, is there a chance of getting an admin to bundle them all up and stick them somewhere for me to download? It looks like a good chunk of what I need is part of crawl/scoring but I'd rather write my own and get some practice parsing text files.

I guess a better question is: do you think if I go crawling the morgues for these servers myself that they'll IP ban whatever computer I'm doing the crawling on, or do you think it's unlikely to go noticed?

(and related, since I was poking around various places: how'd this person win with only two runes?)

oh hey that's me :v:

Gooncrawl abyss has portals to Zot in it when you go deep enough (i think it has to be a:5 or deeper?), so you can potentially even 0-rune win if you wanted to for some reason, and were able to survive in abyss.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

I have won with 0 runes!

Back when they were physical items, though. There was still the 3-rune lock on entering Zot, so I just stashed them in the Vestibule of Hell since that was cleared out (and Geryon died levitating over deep water so NO Hell runes that run!). Except that I forgot to go back and grab them before stealing the Orb of Zot, since the latter seals the portals including the Vestibule pre-0.14. I only noticed when I was on the stairways up to D:1!

One of the earlier tournament challenge banners for the 0.7 release was to get the Orb of Zot and toss it into lava. One-time 100 points for doing so but only 10 players decided it was worth doing.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I recall that, fun times. Game's in an unwinnable state then with neverending pan spawns to boot, right? Would it be possible with a ridiculous enough character to play perpetually? Non-necro chars would probably need to get banished however to find food.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Epsilon Plus posted:

What's the use case for needing to scrape the scoring files or get a bulk download?

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

Floodkiller posted:

What's the use case for needing to scrape the scoring files or get a bulk download?

The end goal is being able to compile a bunch of morgue files to see if there's any interesting stats to squeeze out of them - things like comparing weapon usage for 3-rune vs. 15-rune games, likelihood of a spell being memorized vs. it always sitting in every player's library unused, are player ghosts of one race/class combo significantly more lethal than others, etc. I was hoping to eventually compile the whole thing into a downloadable dataset so you could look at, say, the entirety of 0.25 games played across every webtiles server and hack at it with your own toolset to look for interesting correlations. Assuming I don't lose steam on the idea within a month like I do all my projects, anyways.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Epsilon Plus posted:

The end goal is being able to compile a bunch of morgue files to see if there's any interesting stats to squeeze out of them - things like comparing weapon usage for 3-rune vs. 15-rune games, likelihood of a spell being memorized vs. it always sitting in every player's library unused, are player ghosts of one race/class combo significantly more lethal than others, etc. I was hoping to eventually compile the whole thing into a downloadable dataset so you could look at, say, the entirety of 0.25 games played across every webtiles server and hack at it with your own toolset to look for interesting correlations. Assuming I don't lose steam on the idea within a month like I do all my projects, anyways.

You can try asking the DCSS devs in ##crawl-dev on IRC, they might have a similar dataset already available for when balance passes are done. Otherwise, yeah you'll want to reach out to each server op you want to scrape from or get a bulk download from; they should be okay with it since it's a one time go that is similar to scoring websites starting up for the first time, but probably wouldn't appreciate it if you just tried to scrape silently. You can find them either in the IRC channel listed above, the Reddit Roguelike discord (on the dcss and dcss-variants channel), or on their own Discord servers like CXC's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010
I can't stop playing lovely Chaos Knights, send help

code:
8349374 Mysteryprize the Conqueror (level 27, 249/249 HPs)
             Began as a Mummy Chaos Knight on Sept 2, 2020.

Escaped with the Orb
             ... and 15 runes on Sept 3, 2020!

The game lasted 03:59:37 (213087 turns).

Mysteryprize the Conqueror (Mummy Chaos Knight)   Turns: 213087, Time: 03:59:38

Health: 249/249    AC: 56    Str: 29    XL:     27
Magic:  17/17      EV: 16    Int: 10    God:    Xom [......]
Gold:   18272      SH: 23    Dex: 21    Spells: 31/60 levels left

rFire    + + +     SeeInvis +   K - +9 double sword (vamp)
rCold    + + .     Gourm    .    N - +5 shield {reflect}
rNeg     + + +     Faith    .      l - +13 crystal plate armour "Kizus" {rC+ Dex+4 Stlth-}
rPois    ∞         Spirit      .     C - +2 helmet {SInv}
rElec    +         Reflect  +     M - scarf {rC+ rF+}
rCorr    +         Harm     .      g - +3 pair of gauntlets of War {Slay+6}
MR       +++..                         p - +2 pair of boots {run}
Stlth    ..........                        w - amulet of Gociok {rElec Regen+ Str+5 Int-3}
HPRegen  0.91/turn           e - ring of resist corrosion
MPRegen  0.15/turn          H - ring "Isiulurr" {rElec rF+ rN+ Dex+3 Stlth-}