Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should Gaj make his own thread
This poll is closed.
Yes, make a new thread 6 54.55%
No, keep things just how they are 5 45.45%
Total: 11 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

Why does he want the satellite dishes to remain? Previous owner of my house had satellite and I still haven't taken it off the house, but I will when there is a reason to. Chances are even if you did get satellite service again you'd want new equipment anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
Why, because mental illness and control issues. If you let the roofer do his job without personally directing every step for them it takes away any semblance of social dominance.

Boomerous has been forced out of a starbucks by police and banned because he refused to let the cashier order him a latte. What Boomerous wanted was 2 shots of espresso in a medium cup filled with milk and....

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
Things Boomers Like: Gaj has gotta be loving with us

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

No, you can tell Gaj is telling the truth because there's never a punchline or climax to any of these encounters. It's just a depressing sameness, lightly sprinkled with the sad absurdity of someone who is deeply mentally ill but shielded from reckoning.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
as someone who has worked several extremely poo poo tech jobs in several states with mostly boomer bosses, nothing gaj is saying is weird at all to me. just got really unlucky because somehow boomerous is all of the terrible traits of all the boomers i know all smooshed together instead of just picking one.

Stack Machine
Mar 6, 2016

I can see through time!
Fun Shoe

evobatman posted:

That Karens = HOA joke is good poo poo tho

Other than the belt loops joke, how was the play, Mrs. Lincoln?

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Things Boomer Like: advice from anyone who is 65+ and has a proven track record of extreme racism

its too long lol

edit- hold on

double edit- nope even making it Boomer Thread: its still too long to make sense

HugeGrossBurrito fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Aug 27, 2020

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

things boomers like: being too long to make sense

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006

Outrail posted:

Have you asked him what the point of a business is? And also what the role of a husband is? And when he says 'make money' and 'support his wife', have you asked him why his business needs his wife's money to function?

Nothing but control. He keeps the business going so he can "hand it down to me" much like he would the house. The office is loosing clients because Boomerous cant stop saying random racist poo poo to every client, telling female clients sexist poo poo, and introducing me as the idiot cousin who is responsible for every gently caress up (Im not).

He believes his core responsibility to his wife is to personally care for her, and to exclude anyone not blood related from having any role in support or care-giving. He cant do this very well due to his own failing health.

Its really about control, and he just takes a light touch with my mother. She needs him to bathe her, clean up her vomit, arrange meals, and pay off the help that is allowed in the house. Its basically his control-dream because this person, my mother, has to to allow him to do all these things because he will chase away any other help that isnt directly blood related.

Edit: Becoming a prison warden would be his dream job, but he distrusts police as much as he does anyone not blood related/white so he never thought about being a cop.

Gaj fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Aug 27, 2020

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
A tale of three Boomers

My wife's aunt and uncle live in the Bay Area and have always been moderate but right-leaning politically. Their daughter works in a male-heavy industry. In 2017 they casually mentioned they'd voted for Trump. Their daughter who is also their neighbor was aghast explaining , "You know exactly what I've gone through in my professional career thanks to his mindset and everyone who supports him. How could you possibly vote for him?" It was crushing to me to hear the story given they have been such great and generous people to my wife and our family.

The above uncle is not only my mother-in-law's only remaining living sibling, but the only sibling of three that in 50 years of adulthood, she's kept in regular contact and was close with. Since her kids left the nest 15 years ago or so, she's taken yearly trips from the east cost to visit them; she's always been very, very close to this brother. She was actually at the same dinner where he and his wife revealed their votes to their daughter and as a largely centrist Democrat was similarly taken aback.

A few weeks ago she came to visit and told me that she had :sever:ed ties with her brother and sister-in-law. In recently talking her her niece, not only were they going to vote for Trump this year, they were actively campaigning for him. She was upset. It was heartbreaking to hear.

She apparently didn't tell my wife, the Millennial-Boomer this and with good reason. The aunt and uncle recently sent us a card and money for our wedding anniversary. I told my wife that I wasn't comfortable accepting the money and maybe we should donate it. She asked why and I explained what her mother said. She was taken aback. Not about her aunt and uncle's political views which are diametrically opposed to those she professes, but because knowing how close her mother was to them. "She must be convinced Trump is going to lose; there's no way she'd do that otherwise."

While I'm used to her missing the point on just about everything, I was a little taken aback and tried to explain:

Me: "It really hurt her to learn that they feel the way they do."
Her: "But they're FAMILY. Family is more important than politics!"
Me: "They're going all in on an ideology that is hurting so many. She spent all of 2019 marching locally and working to show her support in what she believes."
Her: "It doesn't matter; you still stick with family."
Me: "What would you do if your sister said, 'I hate the loving jews?' You wouldn't write her off?"
Her: *pause* "Well I don't talk to her that much anyway."

:ughh:

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

My great aunt and uncle are visiting my mother this week. It's my birthday and my mother has basically guilt tripped me into having a dinner at her place (girlfriend's off fighting fires so, I really have no polite excuse). Great Aunt and Uncle were both careers teachers, and have subsided on a government paycheck since their mid-twenties and of course are rabid Trump supporters. Great uncle is flat out senile as gently caress but he sure as hell remembers that the DEMONcrats are out there subverting American democracy and his wife parrots just about everything that comes out of his dementia-riddled mind.

It's going to be great, just great. I was asking my bosa today if he had any other stuff I could do, just so I could try to get out of hanging out with the fascists and furious, and he didn't so, well gently caress.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

A White Guy posted:

My great aunt and uncle are visiting my mother this week. It's my birthday and my mother has basically guilt tripped me into having a dinner at her place (girlfriend's off fighting fires so, I really have no polite excuse). Great Aunt and Uncle were both careers teachers, and have subsided on a government paycheck since their mid-twenties and of course are rabid Trump supporters. Great uncle is flat out senile as gently caress but he sure as hell remembers that the DEMONcrats are out there subverting American democracy and his wife parrots just about everything that comes out of his dementia-riddled mind.

It's going to be great, just great. I was asking my bosa today if he had any other stuff I could do, just so I could try to get out of hanging out with the fascists and furious, and he didn't so, well gently caress.

Happy birthday:roflolmao:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Gaj posted:

I will keep the thread updated on this particular adventure with the roof. It should be done by next weekend so it can be a short lock-down mini series.
Do you remember when you said this

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

A White Guy posted:

This would have been a great time to deploy 'oh darn I can't, social distancing, can't be too careful with covid you know'. Or lying about being made to work late.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

loving boomers

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
or don't.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

My stepmother who was actually one of those cool boomers who do exist out there, got Hep C via blood transfusions back in the '80s. She took that experimental drug that basically utterly crushes Hep C in the body and was essentially Hep C free when.....lung cancer popped up and eventually killed her.

She didn't give a fuuuuck by the end of her life, and would rant about how Donald Trump is destroying this country in between bong rips. She was an awesome stepmom. :unsmith:

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Arson Daily posted:

loving boomers

Yep. Apparently doing heroin in the 70's caught up with a lot of people, a lot of people that now a days claim they never used drugs.

the_sea_hag
Oct 9, 2012
LOAF FANCIER

Gaj posted:

My mother forgot a 200k IRA, in a bank that doesnt operate in NYC anymore. We agreed Im getting power of attorney in a week.

Well that's good. Hopefully you'll be able to consolidate it before you have to spend every last penny on aged care and their funerals. I'd be surprised if you don't have to sell the house as well. None of what you're describing is worth what little you'll get in the end.

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

JonathonSpectre posted:

Please, Boomer Flu. This winter. Hurry up and finish evolving in that Chinese pig cage and get over here ASAP.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Gaj posted:

My mother is the one who paid for the purchase of the house from my nazi aunt, shes paying the taxes, and the rent in nyc, and for the car insurance on the car Boomerous still hasnt fixed. And he hasnt gone over the mail in months, months.
Yikes.

My mother was depressed taking care of my father for the past few years. My sister spent a week earlier this summer to help mom out and found that she hadn't opened Christmas cards from 2019, let alone bills.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006

Splicer posted:

Do you remember when you said this

Its been a hell of a time to quit drugs, I tell you.

Update from roofer. He needs to buy more plywood for the roof. Why? Because at least a third of one side of the roof is completely rotted through. As in a roofer almost completely fell through it with one leg. Oh and you may recall, 2 years ago Boomerous hired a guy to "fix the roof". Apparently this guy decided that using scotch tape was an appropriate way to hold down shingles.

Up until I publically shamed Boomerous into fixing the roof, he refused to move in anyway to fix the roof, even though my mother was willing to pay for it. Boomerous was adamant that we cannot afford 10k for a new roof on a house purchased for 140k. loving tape. Im trying, ever so hard not to kill someone right now.
I will upload what pix I have, along with a refresh of the "roofer" Boomerous hired once I calm down.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
Scotch tape mean something else where you're from? Like... the poo poo kids use for crafts that barely holds construction paper together?

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
https://imgur.com/a/hwxFFCb

Imgur is messing up so I cant post directly but yeah, one of several planks.

Yes, that kind of tape. You know the kind you spend so long as a child flattening out so there are no air bubbles and it comes out clear in your arts and crafts projects.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Yam Slacker
I mean, if I was the kind of person hired by Boomerous and had to deal with Boomerous directly with all of the ridiculous demands and poo poo you've posted, I could see using scotch tape as a way to say "gently caress you".

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

There’s always someone who will do it cheaper, and they’ve got to make up the costs somewhere.

I don’t understand people who cheap out on roofing, especially nowadays where there’s so much info available online. I had someone (not a boomer) outright bragging to me that they got their roof done “for free” by some storm chasers. Cool, good luck getting them back out there when it leaks in a year! :thumbsup:

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

I was talking about participation trophies with some friends and remembered some poo poo when I played soccer as a kid. My parents would buy me a toy every time I scored a goal. It didn't matter how the team did, only whether I personally scored. So if I scored a goal and the team lost I got a toy, but the team winning with me scoring a goal meant no toy. I just had the epiphany that this is boomer as gently caress because the actual lesson is that it's all about me and helping others work towards a shared goal is meaningless compared to individual gain

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

LabyaMynora posted:

There’s always someone who will do it cheaper, and they’ve got to make up the costs somewhere.

I don’t understand people who cheap out on roofing, especially nowadays where there’s so much info available online. I had someone (not a boomer) outright bragging to me that they got their roof done “for free” by some storm chasers. Cool, good luck getting them back out there when it leaks in a year! :thumbsup:

Yeah, there's a slew of people who just make their money scamming storm victims with roofs that are 10x cheaper than the real contractors. They're long gone by the time you realize they hosed you.

You'd think it would be obvious though. Everyone else quoted you $20,000, but this dude says he can do it for $2,000. :thunk:

Sex Skeleton
Aug 16, 2018

For when lonely nights turn bonely

LabyaMynora posted:

That's like buying concrete from the guy who "had an extra quarter yard left over from a project." In reality you're doing him a favor by letting him wash out in your driveway, and the crap he just dumped on your property will be cracking within a year.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
Ok so when I was staying at the place for a year, it leaked every time it rained. Like at least 5 different spots I could see all over the house. Id tell Boomerous its bad and hed just tell me I dont know what Im talking about, the roof is 10 years new! Hed also just bark at me "with what money Gaj?" or "oh so your going to pay for it?"

Remember, Boomerous didnt pay for the house or taxes, and relies on my mother for everything. My mother while drugged out of her mind is still cognizant enough to say "there is no other family, Gaj is our only son, the house is not 'ours' but is his". Boomerous still refused to have the roof fixed, because no money, and its his house!
Boomerous also believes Im going to sell the house the minute I gain ownership of it so why spend the money to fix it up?

So I moved out of that house into my apartment in NYC 2 years ago, Boomerous decided to hire a guy to fix/patch up the roof. Boomerous insisted this guy was a professional roofer and talking to him wen like this:

Boomerous: I got a guy to go over the roof, hes a good roofer.
Gaj: Hes a roofer? Who recommended him?
B: You dont need to know that, all you need to know is hes recommended. He has a crew.
G: How long has he been roofing?
B: Long enough.
G: (suspicion rising)......When was the last time he roofed?
B: I dont know hes retired.
G: Oh so hes a retired, and he has a crew?
B: He said his son will help him.
G:....How healthy is this retired roofer?
B: Description of a short fat man with bad knees and back
G:So hes a retired roofer with no crew and is not physically fit....does he have insurance?
B:Insurance, why would he need insurance?
G:Because if he falls, who is he going to sue?
B:.......................................
G:I dont think its a good idea to hire this guy, he seems like a fly-by-night handyman who shouldnt be doing this alone.
B We will insure him , Gaj, start calling companies and get a quote on short term insurance, we will insure him.
G:OK I did that and only one company said they would do it for 10k.
B: GOOD DO IT
G: How much are you paying the handyman?
B:Hes not a handyman hes a roofer, Im giving him 2k.
G:You want to pay more in insurance than you are paying a guy to patch a roof?
B:Hiring a whole crew will be too expensive, you have to pay them and their insurance.

Mind you I have never been involved in construction before and these were the concerns I brought up. As I type this I realize I was the one concerned about the roofers capabilities and insurance, and Boomerous told me I know squat. The guy he hired used loving tape. Tape. But he did helpfully tell Boomeous that the roof had one year left in it.

And now, when I get a professional roofer to go over over the roof, Boomerous spent days yelling at me that the roofer doesnt know what hes doing since hes under 30. The roofer DEFINITELY doesnt have insurance (he has a 1m policy), the roofer needs to set up 20k bond to cover any fuckups (2x the est cost of the project), the roofer needs a crew to act as spotters so if one falls he doesnt get eaten by bears (he has 4 guys).

Every single loving concern he berated me for I had brought up 2 years ago, and hes not only acting like but saying I am incompetent and dont know what Im doing. Gaj, roofers dont give free estimates, those dont exist. Why isnt the roofer talking to me and only me. The roofer should not talk to you Gaj.

To everyone saying my mothers medical costs are going to eat through any assets she leaves, it wont. Shes a tier 1 teacher from 1968, her insurance is one of those golden-Cadillac policies that covers 99% of costs. She complains that her annual taxes are 5k, and her annual medical bill is 3k. The gov spends 20k a month to keep her in her current condition. Even in a nursing home she be covered, and with the corona virus I doubt shed be staying long. Any money sink in the family is from Boomerous refusing to do any scheduled maintenance or repairs until said object is rotted through.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

PostNouveau posted:

Yeah, there's a slew of people who just make their money scamming storm victims with roofs that are 10x cheaper than the real contractors. They're long gone by the time you realize they hosed you.

You'd think it would be obvious though. Everyone else quoted you $20,000, but this dude says he can do it for $2,000. :thunk:

In Florida this was a common scam after hurricanes. Scammers would drive around, find people with water damage, say "this happened because your previous contractor was a scammer. We can fix it up and they'll have to pay for it because of their negligence." Then they get substandard materials and do unpermitted work.

The lawfirm I worked at represented several roofing and windows companies that would get sued by scam victims after every hurricane. We had to explain to the plaintiffs that 1) the work was up to code but some water intrusion is normal during a loving hurricane, 2) if there was a problem any evidence has been destroyed by the renovations you undertook before letting our client back in to inspect the damage, 3) the work you had done was unpermitted and will need to be repaired.

Boomers love insisting they're too smart to be scammed and throwing tantrums that they will refuse to comply with court orders when reality catches up to them. Let me tell you, the tantrums were magnificent when a boomer found out their insurance company was prepared to drop coverage unless the unpermitted work was repaired, and then the mortgage company was prepared to foreclose if the lending contract was breached by leaving the home uninsured.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
Trying not to laugh while Boomers at work talk about the song "WOP" ("that means 'With Out Papers'"). They're trying to find the song by typing it into youtube but it's the wrong video, they want the one with the lady rappers.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Soylent Pudding posted:

Boomers love insisting they're too smart to be scammed and throwing tantrums that they will refuse to comply with court orders when reality catches up to them. Let me tell you, the tantrums were magnificent when a boomer found out their insurance company was prepared to drop coverage unless the unpermitted work was repaired, and then the mortgage company was prepared to foreclose if the lending contract was breached by leaving the home uninsured.

Oh god, now you got me feeling bad for these idiots because it sounds like they'd really dig themselves a hole after getting scammed.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

PostNouveau posted:

Not even storm victims though! Around here, they go door-to-door and generically say, “due to recent storms, there’s been a lot of hail damage. We’ll inspect your roof, and if we find hail damage *nudge* *nudge* we’ll work with your insurance so you don’t pay a dime! *wink* *wink*”

Except there’s been no storms, especially ones with hail.

The most successful scams are the ones where the mark (homeowner) thinks they’re in on the con against someone else (the insurance company).

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Yup. Like 'ol Moist said "Can't cheat an honest man", and since most Boomers are dishonest (in maintaining that they aren't part of the loving worst generation that literally hosed everything into a cocked hat), well...

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

PostNouveau posted:

Oh god, now you got me feeling bad for these idiots because it sounds like they'd really dig themselves a hole after getting scammed.

Don't feel bad. Not a single one of the ones I litigated against should have been struggling financially. Like they might have been due to other life choices, but I didn't feel bad telling say, the retired pharmacist that the bank will foreclose on their $900k mcmansion if they don't take responsibility and unfuck things. Especially when they dug their own hole by refusing to listen to any experts, including their own attorney and ran the bill up for themselves. In one case in a pretrial mediation we laid things out and their own attorney straight up told them, "based on all the records presented you got scammed, if you try and take this to trial you will lose and owe them five figures in attorney fees on top of what you are going to have to pay to fix the house." This led to an hour of screaming at their lawyer, at us, and at the mediator about how we're all liars, their lawyer is incompetent and going to lose their license over this, and increasingly insane explanations on how they will hide their assets to keep a court from taking them. At that point you can't do anything but sit back and watch the show of their "not my responsibility field" collide into reality at terminal velocity.

E. The hardest part of recovering from a scam is the ego threat of admitting you were scammed. Boomers are particularly bad at this because they can never admit they were wrong. The same is also true in educated professionals like doctors, engineers etc. So much self worth and identity is tied up in being "smart" that the ego threat makes them double, triple, and quadruple down on the scam rather than suffer the humiliation of admitting they have a problem to correct.

Soylent Pudding fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Aug 28, 2020

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Ngl, that sounds loving entertaining

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Soylent Pudding posted:

Don't feel bad. Not a single one of the ones I litigated against should have been struggling financially. Like they might have been due to other life choices, but I didn't feel bad telling say, the retired pharmacist that the bank will foreclose on their $900k mcmansion if they don't take responsibility and unfuck things. Especially when they dug their own hole by refusing to listen to any experts, including their own attorney and ran the bill up for themselves. In one case in a pretrial mediation we laid things out and their own attorney straight up told them, "based on all the records presented you got scammed, if you try and take this to trial you will lose and owe them five figures in attorney fees on top of what you are going to have to pay to fix the house." This led to an hour of screaming at their lawyer, at us, and at the mediator about how we're all liars, their lawyer is incompetent and going to lose their license over this, and increasingly insane explanations on how they will hide their assets to keep a court from taking them. At that point you can't do anything but sit back and watch the show of their "not my responsibility field" collide into reality at terminal velocity.

E. The hardest part of recovering from a scam is the ego threat of admitting you were scammed. Boomers are particularly bad at this because they can never admit they were wrong. The same is also true in educated professionals like doctors, engineers etc. So much self worth and identity is tied up in being "smart" that the ego threat makes them double, triple, and quadruple down on the scam rather than suffer the humiliation of admitting they have a problem to correct.

A lawyer on Twitter once described their job as, “I tell my clients not to do things, and then they do them anyway and expect me to fix it.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Soylent Pudding posted:

increasingly insane explanations on how they will hide their assets to keep a court from taking them.

Seems like something you wouldn't want to discuss in front of people who aren't your lawyers!