Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Weren't those empires, regardless of whatever benefits they provided in the interim, expressly designed to end in mass death and destruction in order to exploit the omnicide of an entire shard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Weren't those empires, regardless of whatever benefits they provided in the interim, expressly designed to end in mass death and destruction in order to exploit the omnicide of an entire shard

Oh absolutely, I'm not saying Emet was good or anything, so much as he seems to have been indecisive and indulged himself in trying to build little reflections of things he valued in the interim stages.

Isn't it canon that he's periodically wavered and tried to go native?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Yeah he did the Highlander thing where being immortal dissociates you from humanity no matter how much you try, his wife and son dying led him to be poo poo to Varis lol

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Waffleman_ posted:

I still love that Emet loved the theater so much that they had to ban it after he died because his family was sick of it.

Even better was him supporting the troupe whose whole goal was to dig up and tell the real story about what happened to Ivalice

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Allarion posted:

Even better was him supporting the troupe whose whole goal was to dig up and tell the real story about what happened to Ivalice

Digging up the truth about the ancestors is his whole thing, he probably would have married Jenomis if he weren’t an aged mummy.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/SusuXIV/status/1298291075556290562?s=20

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
what the actual hell did I just watch

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I legitimately do not know what a fancam is and it is one of the latest things to make me feel old

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I legitimately do not know what a fancam is and it is one of the latest things to make me feel old

I mean, it seems pretty self explanatory:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvZcN9LW4bI&t=29s

Its clips from phone recorded bootlegs of k-pop live shows

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Unlucky7 posted:

what the actual hell did I just watch

An accurate depiction of the next villain.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

How about Onlyfandaniel, has anyone made that joke.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
fandaniel, back at it again in the white robes

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Part of me is disappointed that we didn't get to go "Elidibus, I challenge you!" but the no fight left to fight is also a good callback.

Happiness
Oct 10, 2004

I kept imagining G'raha experiencing this scene before merging with himself back on The Source so I decided to make it real.

https://twitter.com/radiomerri/status/1298721656827871238

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Get in the G-Warrior, G'raha

Or else the Warrior of Light will get to pilot it and they'll be completely insufferable with joy about the experience.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
The latest Tales of Shadow features everyone's favorite nu mou, with a guest appearance from the former Warriors of Light, and it's all in the service of backstory to an A-rank hunt.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Hogama posted:

The latest Tales of Shadow features everyone's favorite nu mou

That story wasn't about Wyd Lad, I feel cheated

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Hogama posted:

The latest Tales of Shadow features everyone's favorite nu mou, with a guest appearance from the former Warriors of Light, and it's all in the service of backstory to an A-rank hunt.

If you've done all the role quests, then you realize the Warriors of Light did more than cameo.

Cylva, you bitch

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I guess I've never been subbed for the Rising event before, so meeting Yoshi-P was cool.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/okkuisul/status/1299172810493812736?s=20

erenoyo
Jun 30, 2019

by Fluffdaddy
Wait, if Elidibus was a primal, why didn't he just temper everyone. Could've tempered all the Scions and the Exarch etc

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

erenoyo posted:

Wait, if Elidibus was a primal, why didn't he just temper everyone. Could've tempered all the Scions and the Exarch etc

Presumably the same reason that Ysayle didn't temper all of us.

...unless she did?

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

erenoyo posted:

He didn't want to. He wanted a big climatic battle where he raised all the forces of good and powered himself up to max so that he could fight and win against the ultimate evil (you).

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Zeron posted:

He didn't want to. He wanted a big climatic battle where he raised all the forces of good and powered himself up to max so that he could fight and win against the ultimate evil (you).

well he did most of that, all of that in a few of my groups

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

I like how much common themes keep popping up between the different branches of content. Like how the Idol of Darkness controls Sin Eaters and then Elidibus ends up doing the same with warriors of light, or how the Nael/Dalamud twist in Ruby Weapon was coinciding with the forced starshowers in the MSQ and the memories of the Meteor Project in Bozja.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

It's also possible Elidibus just doesn't have the power to temper people, since he clearly doesn't run on "normal" primal rules (if there are any) since he isn't sucking up aether and is empowered by people's affection for an abstract concept.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

He is powered by an abstract concept - hope.

The problem probably is that he’s not really the “real” primal - that’s still in orbit. He’s like an add or something.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
The whole Elidibus is a primal thing was kinda annoying, because it's entirely unlike any other primal we've experienced. It's questionable if the other Ascians even knew, because they considered him one of the unsundered, rather than a facsimile of one. And he apparently has remaining memories of the original Elidibus, as opposed to being created as a new being based off the original. He's still body jacking people just like the other Ascians.

And then there's the whole heart of Zodiark thing. Elidibus was sacrificed to be the heart of Zodiark, cool, I dig that. But Zodiark ejected his own heart before he got sundered? That would be a new thing we haven't seen primals doing. Or did he just create a primal in the image of the world's saviour? A primal summoning a primal to be his feet on the ground, based on the original person that summoned him? I could dig that, but that doesn't seem to be the case either since it seems that it's real Elidibus in there.

So it's both real Elidibus, and primal Elidibus, at the same time.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

We’ve already seen a primal like that though - Ysayle/Shiva.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

hobbesmaster posted:

We’ve already seen a primal like that though - Ysayle/Shiva.

Ysale never sacrificed herself to become Shiva. Shiva was a temporary transformation for Ysale, not a permament fixture. Similarly with Pheonix and Louisoix.

Elidibus is still unique, because he's out there being Elidibus, and Zodiark is still out there being chunks of Zodiark.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

In fairness, most other primals that we've seen don't require an existing person to serve as their "heart," so that's also unique. The closest thing we have to that is Odin, where the sword needs someone to pick it up and become its slave to actually do anything.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Ysale never sacrificed herself to become Shiva. Shiva was a temporary transformation for Ysale, not a permament fixture. Similarly with Pheonix and Louisoix.

Elidibus is still unique, because he's out there being Elidibus, and Zodiark is still out there being chunks of Zodiark.

Isn't it also a thing that Eorzean Primals are a purposefully 'corrupted' version of creation magic, since they're designed to increase the aether imbalance and make it easier to free Zodiark?

It makes sense that a 'Primal' created by the untainted ritual, with the full power and wisdom of the Ancients of Amaurot would work differently.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I'm not sure if the ritual is corrupted or if most people just don't have enough spare mana to get a god going without including the Mana Suck Module.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
They're not really purposefully corrupted, but different by necessity. Sundered individuals don't have the aether to create something themselves, so they need to pull it from elsewhere.

Presumably Zodiark and Hydaelyn are different, if only because of the ancients that summoned them granting them so much more aether, but they still need to be topped up and fueled from elsewhere. I don't see why they wouldn't start sucking aether from the environment if Hydaelyn didn't care if she destroyed the world, or Zodiark was actually alive and in one piece to do so.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I feel like the sacrifice of 3/4 of all amaurotines is probably enough aether to keep Zodiark around indefinitely as long as it's just existing and not actively trying to use that aether (because it can't, because of the sundering). Compare Thordan, who seemed to think that he could sustain a primal summoning more or less indefinitely by pulling on the aether of Nidhogg's eye, without needing to pull aether from the land.

Hydaelyn is a more interesting point, both because she was fueled by a smaller sacrifice, and because we explicitly see her saying "whoops I used too much aether, gotta recharge, brb". Makes you wonder where the aether she needs comes from, and does suggest the ending where we fight her because she is pulling it from the star, like most primals

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Zodiark had a lot of initially energy for sure, be he also had to rewrite the laws of existence and make the star habitable again. That must have got him running pretty drat low if they were already planning another set of sacrifices for him.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

They're not really purposefully corrupted, but different by necessity. Sundered individuals don't have the aether to create something themselves, so they need to pull it from elsewhere.

Presumably Zodiark and Hydaelyn are different, if only because of the ancients that summoned them granting them so much more aether, but they still need to be topped up and fueled from elsewhere. I don't see why they wouldn't start sucking aether from the environment if Hydaelyn didn't care if she destroyed the world, or Zodiark was actually alive and in one piece to do so.

and carbuncles/egis are basically a sustainable, energy-efficient variant of creation magic made possible by complex mathematical algorithms

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Probably from the sun's aether.

Final boss fight will use Super Nova (veni veni venias)

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Probably from the sun's aether.

Final boss fight will use Super Nova (veni veni venias)

Supernova already exists, proto-ultima casts it instead of Ultima as its enrage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Also T9.