Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Gambon is quite good as Dumbledore and I can't imagine Richard Harris pulling off the heavy lifting parts of the Dumbledore story quite as effectively. Harris just kind of played him as indescribably old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Sydin posted:

Yeah the original actor died between movies two and three, so they replaced him with a new guy who had WAY too much energy, particularly for the earlier books.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8szpId3oWlE

e: I forgot every main guy character's hair evolution from movie 3 to 4 to 5 mirroring my dumbass tween fashion sensibilities. Look at them in this one

e2: I also forgot how fuckin dumb it is that everyone's immediate response is "HES A CHEAT" and not "oh, this must be another nazi scheme"

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Aug 28, 2020

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I remember watching one of the harry potter films and during the denouement harry says something like "we've got something Voldemort doesn't have" and a friend said "what, noses?" and thats the only thing I can think of about harry potter films now.

It helps the only other one I watched I was absolutely shitfaced drunk with my dad who hasn't read a fiction book since he was 10 so struggling to explaining "magic" to a grown adult while deep into a bottle of jack Daniels took all my concentration.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I also remember in Book...6? 7? Harry and/or others made a BIG DEAL about how Voldemort figured out how to fly without a broom, magical animal, or other sort of enchanted item. It was presented as some sort of "ULTIMATE POWER" spell/ability that no other wizard in history could do.

Then it was basically never mentioned again...like, no on else learned it, or felt it was THAT impressive or whatever. And honestly, it doesn't seem THAT impressive. Like...he was seriously the first one to think,
"What if I just worked hard at making the Leviosa spell better?"

And then in the movie for one of them, I think Phoenix though it might have been Half Blood Prince or even the first half of Deathly Hallows, like a half dozen Deatheaters are both flying without brooms, AND in full view of Muggles and causing chaos on the Tower Bridge.

Wanted By Weed
Aug 14, 2005

Toilet Rascal

DrBouvenstein posted:

And then in the movie for one of them, I think Phoenix though it might have been Half Blood Prince or even the first half of Deathly Hallows, like a half dozen Deatheaters are both flying without brooms, AND in full view of Muggles and causing chaos on the Tower Bridge.

I always thought the Death Eaters were just doing a really elaborate and flashy form of Apparation at the time, but then they're also shooting their wands and poo poo, which I'm pretty sure you don't do while apparating...

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
And another thing, just how many drat forms of travel do wizards NEED? It seems that once you learn how to apparate, why do you need anything else?

"Let's see, let's see...how to get to work today...travel in an instant with this wand I always have? Or also travel nearly instantly, but use some weird powder I have to pay money for, throw it into a fireplace, and travel through it, getting soot everywhere? Or, fly on a broom like I'm a literal witch in a loving fairy tale and take a hundred times as long? Or same thing, but with this muggle car I enchanted?"

Like...just loving teleport all God-drat day long.

"Uh, you dummies, you can't apparate into Hogwarts!" Hermoine says for the fiftieth time because all wizards but her are actually stupid when it comes to knowledge retention.

Ok, fine, apparate into that wizard village that's, like, right next door and walk half a mile.

Fake edit: Oh, also there's a "Knight Bus" in London that sometimes, somehow, picks up wizards that need it? But literally only that one time, never again.

Real edit: Oh, also portkeys, which are basically a more nuisance version of apparation? Like...it's an object that only apparates to one place, and it has to be registered with The Ministry of Magic, and lots of other rules.

Again...why not just loving teleport?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

DrBouvenstein posted:

I also remember in Book...6? 7? Harry and/or others made a BIG DEAL about how Voldemort figured out how to fly without a broom, magical animal, or other sort of enchanted item. It was presented as some sort of "ULTIMATE POWER" spell/ability that no other wizard in history could do.

Then it was basically never mentioned again...like, no on else learned it, or felt it was THAT impressive or whatever. And honestly, it doesn't seem THAT impressive. Like...he was seriously the first one to think,
"What if I just worked hard at making the Leviosa spell better?"

It was book 7, and outside of the chase scene at the start of the book, the only other time it really comes up is towards the end when Snape flees from Hogwarts and one of the people who had been chasing him mentioned that he flew off without a broom, and they speculated that he must've learned how to do that from Voldemort.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

DrBouvenstein posted:

And another thing, just how many drat forms of travel do wizards NEED? It seems that once you learn how to apparate, why do you need anything else?

"Let's see, let's see...how to get to work today...travel in an instant with this wand I always have? Or also travel nearly instantly, but use some weird powder I have to pay money for, throw it into a fireplace, and travel through it, getting soot everywhere? Or, fly on a broom like I'm a literal witch in a loving fairy tale and take a hundred times as long? Or same thing, but with this muggle car I enchanted?"

Like...just loving teleport all God-drat day long.

"Uh, you dummies, you can't apparate into Hogwarts!" Hermoine says for the fiftieth time because all wizards but her are actually stupid when it comes to knowledge retention.

Ok, fine, apparate into that wizard village that's, like, right next door and walk half a mile.

Fake edit: Oh, also there's a "Knight Bus" in London that sometimes, somehow, picks up wizards that need it? But literally only that one time, never again.

Real edit: Oh, also portkeys, which are basically a more nuisance version of apparation? Like...it's an object that only apparates to one place, and it has to be registered with The Ministry of Magic, and lots of other rules.

Again...why not just loving teleport?

You get cut in half or enwalled if you gently caress up. Somehow this doesn't lead to long term damage, but must be unpleasant.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
People playing quidditch in real life will never cease to amaze me (it's beyond dumb)

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Don't forget Hagrid's kickin' rad motorcycle that he got from Sirius.

Did apperating appear before like book 5? It seemed a lot like one of those things that was added later that totally ignored all the joy and wonderment that the earlier books were built on to just be boring and functional.

ZZZorcerer posted:

People playing quidditch in real life will never cease to amaze me (it's beyond dumb)

This is the only real life quidditch I will accept.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

SlothfulCobra posted:

They made a big deal of them being the "unforgiveable curses" when they were first introduced, but in the last book, all the heroes are just throwing them around like nobody's business instead of doing weird creative spells to solve their problems, so it feels like they're pretty fuckin' forgiveable.

Like they should be doing a bunch of weird goofy spells to fight back against the deatheaters instead of just shooting the same bullet spells back at them. I've seen a whole lot more interesting magical combat than that.

lol i’ve read all these books but I had no memory of Harry using two of the unforgivable curses in the later ones. I remembered that they get the goblins to help them against their will during the bank heist but forgot that it was just straight up unforgivable mind control. And I guess I did remember him trying to use crucio against Bellatrix but failing because he’s too nice, but then in the next book he just uses the water boarding spell spur of the moment to stop someone instead of his signature disarm. They both just seem... unnecessary and probably kind of a big deal?

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

Is it ever established how old magic and wizarding are?

Looking up the curses actually brought this to mind and apparently the unforgivable curses were so deemed in the 1700s. And it’s just British law I guess? There’s no real indication that they are innately the 3 Big Ones in all of the magical world. JK should have just leaned into the Christian uproar and written that Cain was the first person to Avada Kedavra someone.

DrBouvenstein posted:

Speaking of them doing terrible things, honestly the memory altering/erasing spell should be illegal too. Maybe not ' lifetime in Azkaban' level, but it's pretty drat horrific at its core.

This too. Love potions seem to be all-powerful and highly immoral in HP world and Polyjuice potion is waaay too effective to be as unregulated as it is. There is a lot of hosed up magic out there. Now that I think of it though, if you could only learn one segment of magic it seems like potions is where it’s at for power and variety.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Did apperating appear before like book 5? It seemed a lot like one of those things that was added later that totally ignored all the joy and wonderment that the earlier books were built on to just be boring and functional.

Like a lot of the world, it’s written in the later books in a way to solidify it as a specific magical thing and so it sort of retroactively explains some of the earlier oblique references. Wizard teleportation exists as of the second book but it isn’t identified as a skill/spell called Apparition until book three. And then by book 5 you have all of the rules and loopholes and whatnot explicitly spelled out by characters.

Ror fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Aug 28, 2020

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

I also tried to ignore it for as long as possible but JK is trending again today. Apparently she had some RFK human rights award and one of the Kennedys has recently criticized her transphobia, so she has returned the award. It’s just pissbaby wetting herself again but it’s fun to think that she realized she wasn’t worthy of a human rights award.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Ror posted:

This too. Love potions seem to be all-powerful and highly immoral in HP world and Polyjuice potion is waaay too effective to be as unregulated as it is. There is a lot of hosed up magic out there. Now that I think of it though, if you could only learn one segment of magic it seems like potions is where it’s at for power and variety.

I don't know if it's ever said that polyjuice potion is unregulated. Hermione stole the book on how to make it from the restricted section of the library. Possibly it's a felony to actually create.

Love potions are hosed up but they're also one of those traditional magic things, so they kinda have to exist in the franchise meant to be a pastiche of traditional magic folklore but also old fashioned but modern england.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Returning my award for human rights to show how not owned I am.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Okay just tweet that you're retiring to the forbidden forest and log off Twitter forever. I'm a social media consultant I'm charging several hundred thousand dollars for this advice.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

ZZZorcerer posted:

Within my first week of moving to Canada I was trying to walk to downtown Kingston from my apartment. I didn't know exactly where I was going and I accidentally stumbled into the Queens University 2013 Quidditch Team practicing. It was certainly something.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

reignofevil posted:

Returning my award for human rights to show how not owned I am.

Proving that it takes a billion-dollar level of disconnect from the world to demonstrate how insanely out-of-touch you are

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Within my first week of moving to Canada I was trying to walk to downtown Kingston from my apartment. I didn't know exactly where I was going and I accidentally stumbled into the Queens University 2013 Quidditch Team practicing. It was certainly something.

Seeing someone run around with a piece of paper emblazoned with the word SNITCH taped to his back while he was chased by a man squeezing a broomstick into his nutsack might be the most surreal thing i've ever seen in person.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I hope they gave that snitch stitches

Boogle
Sep 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

SlothfulCobra posted:

Love potions are hosed up but they're also one of those traditional magic things, so they kinda have to exist in the franchise meant to be a pastiche of traditional magic folklore but also old fashioned but modern england.

I'm pretty sure you can still do that without the magical date rape drug or the chattel elf slavery.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Or just change how it works. A love potion where it has an infinite number of flavors but you only taste one and your perfect match tasted the exact same so you lie awake wondering if perhaps the pancake flavor she tastes is whole grain or enriched flour until it consumes you utterly.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

ZZZorcerer posted:

Quidditch is one of those weird things where everyone took it seriously when in the first book it is just a joke about how everyone other than Seeker is just wasting time.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I enjoyed that worldwide superstar quidditch seeker viktor krum caught the snitch to lose the World Cup. could you imagine a quarterback just taking a knee in the middle of the fourth quarter just because his team was down by 25? He’d be murdered on the field and no one would be arrested for it lol

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

galagazombie posted:

Seeing someone run around with a piece of paper emblazoned with the word SNITCH taped to his back while he was chased by a man squeezing a broomstick into his nutsack might be the most surreal thing i've ever seen in person.

You'd think by now the snitch would be a small drone or or something that's been painted gold and you have somebody who just whizzes it around the playing field within reaching distance.

theflyingexecutive posted:

I enjoyed that worldwide superstar quidditch seeker viktor krum caught the snitch to lose the World Cup. could you imagine a quarterback just taking a knee in the middle of the fourth quarter just because his team was down by 25? He’d be murdered on the field and no one would be arrested for it lol

There's also the fact that most games are supposed to take hours, if not sometimes days, and because of what Viktor did it instead ended in like 30 minutes. Not only did he cause his own team to lose, it was the equivalent of the championship boxing match ending by KO in the first round.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
I'd actually really like if the American replacement of quidditch was real (like actual flying brooms real not idiots running around the campus green real). It was supposed to be a joke about how just like Americans don't play Football/Soccer like the rest of the world, American wizards don't play quidditch either. But she ended up creating an awesome game that's essentially aerial basketball but the ball is also a bomb the explodes at set intervals and a legitimate strategy if you can't score is to try and blow up the other team.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Yeah, the American sport in Harry Potter is Aerial Basketball+Football and based on the rules could a) actually be a watchable game with some decent strategy and complexity and b) I can't tell if thats supposed to be the joke or just by stealing the core mechanics of two games made a decent game because JK Rowling is a lazy as gently caress author now unless its about making GBS threads on trans people from great heights

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
In Harry Potter's America they call Shooting The Hoops "Bloombloo choochoosen"

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Given her stunning creativity with Nomaj, the sport is obviously Foobaskball

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Barudak posted:

Yeah, the American sport in Harry Potter is Aerial Basketball+Football and based on the rules could a) actually be a watchable game with some decent strategy and complexity and b) I can't tell if thats supposed to be the joke or just by stealing the core mechanics of two games made a decent game because JK Rowling is a lazy as gently caress author now unless its about making GBS threads on trans people from great heights

Its just normal british "lol handegg" trashing of American football at the most basic level, same as you could find on any mid-00s web forum frequented by euros. That she accidentally made a sport that sounded way better is completely by accident.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

Sydin posted:

There's also the fact that most games are supposed to take hours, if not sometimes days, and because of what Viktor did it instead ended in like 30 minutes. Not only did he cause his own team to lose, it was the equivalent of the championship boxing match ending by KO in the first round.

So Krum is the Michael Spinks of Quidditch.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
Where do wizards source things? Like the wandmaker, is he contracted with Muggle loggers for the various types of woods or is that a job for squibs? Are there wizards who do woodworking or do they just "woodius cuttius" a tree until it becomes a Nimbus 2000?

I'm asking you guys cause if I asked JK on Twitter I'm sure she'd say the worst jobs are done by trans wizards to keep them away from cis-wizard-female spaces.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Every single wand is a byproduct of captive and factory farmed wooden dryads.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

jojoinnit posted:

I'm asking you guys cause if I asked JK on Twitter I'm sure she'd say the worst jobs are done by trans wizards to keep them away from cis-wizard-female spaces.

The Cis-arding World of Harry Potter

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
Did the sorting hat have to maintain balance when assigning students to houses or could it have gone "gently caress it, this year everyone is a Hufflepuff"?

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
It mostly satisfies itself with rigging the quidditch cup.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
I am the pig of Hufflepuff.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Starsnostars posted:

Did the sorting hat have to maintain balance when assigning students to houses or could it have gone "gently caress it, this year everyone is a Hufflepuff"?

It seems to roughly balance them, but assuming we get everyone in Harry's year is named there are definitely discrepancies between house size.

We get 8 Griffindors, 9 Slytherins, 4 Hufflepuffs and 6 Ravenclaws total. 18 boys and 9 girls. Which also should mean Hogwarts has somewhere in the realm of 200 kids at a time. The movies pad this out a lot by adding a bunch of unnamed extras.

Zore fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Sep 1, 2020

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Nobody ever talks about Hogwarts lesser known houses Jumpcacky, Stinkyrot, Granberry and Blurtcircle.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

I always forget that Hufflepuff is the only good house because all of the other Hogwarts founders were exclusionary assholes and Helga was the only one who didn’t care who she taught.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I'm gonna write a fanfic where space aliens try to reveal to the muggles that wizards exist and then the wizards have to fight the aliens.