Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

DarkHorse posted:

Bats aren't fish

Hold on, gotta go shave a chicken for this next bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

DarkHorse posted:

Bats aren't fish

Yeah, they are lizards

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

PittTheElder posted:

Bad news friend, it's actually derived from the Old English word hwæl, meaning whale.

Which apparently is derived from PIE *(s)kʷálos meaning "large fish" or "sheatfish" which is in turn apparently a term for things like catfish.

Cool!

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Outrail posted:

They figured out how to launch one and a half blue whales into the sun without ever thinking about whether they should.

This is what Star Trek was trying to warn us not to do.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Brawnfire posted:

Which apparently is derived from PIE *(s)kʷálos meaning "large fish" or "sheatfish" which is in turn apparently a term for things like catfish.

Cool!

Pasquale's!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/FiveThirtyEight/status/1298740505598210050

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

maybe I'm just having a moment but I do not understand anything about those x-axes

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?

morallyobjected posted:

maybe I'm just having a moment but I do not understand anything about those x-axes

Horizontal axis is 2016 Trump vote share, as a percentage for each media market. The seven different graphs each have their own axis from 20-80%. Vertical axis is sort of shared and represents percentage of searches pertaining to that sport compared to the total of all seven.

The biggest unintentional takeaway from their data is that the NFL is a juggernaut, being almost as popular as the other six activities combined and evenly popular across partisan lines.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

DarkHorse posted:

Bats aren't fish

If you consider "fish" to be a clade containing both, say, sharks and salmon they are. Bats are with us and all the other tetrapods over there on the left.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Hmm, yes, when I think of camping I think of food that needs to stay frozen before preparation.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

DarkHorse posted:

Bats aren't fish

Then how can they swim??

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Terribly.

Just kidding they do a cute little breaststroke looking thing.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Legendary Ptarmigan posted:

Horizontal axis is 2016 Trump vote share, as a percentage for each media market. The seven different graphs each have their own axis from 20-80%. Vertical axis is sort of shared and represents percentage of searches pertaining to that sport compared to the total of all seven.

The biggest unintentional takeaway from their data is that the NFL is a juggernaut, being almost as popular as the other six activities combined and evenly popular across partisan lines.

okay yeah I was just having a brain = bad moment. that makes way more sense.

Mr.Radar posted:

Hmm, yes, when I think of camping I think of food that needs to stay frozen before preparation.

I take refrigerated/frozen foods camping all the time when I go. cooler filled with ice. but then I don't go like wilderness camping out in the middle of nowhere.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Mr.Radar posted:

Nothing about camping that prevents you from items requiring refrigeration. You're thinking about backpacking.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Kid's science kit.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Memento posted:

Kid's science kit.

I certifiably sucked at chemistry but...that just caused me physical pain.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Alkydere posted:

I certifiably sucked at chemistry but...that just caused me physical pain.

I fixated on the impossible 0 pH (for what is supposed to be a logarithmic scale) and completely missed the horrendous transposition of labels

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

DarkHorse posted:

I fixated on the impossible 0 pH (for what is supposed to be a logarithmic scale) and completely missed the horrendous transposition of labels

In absolute terms it's not possible, but there is a functional zero given that negative pH values are possible.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I thought zero pH was impossible from a statistical point of view, not an actual chemical limitation.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

DarkHorse posted:

1 mol/L HCl has a pH of 0.

pH is concentration of hydrogen ions in solution with it being defined as H+ concentration (mol/l) = 10^-pH

So if you have a pH of 0, your concentration of hydrogen ions in solution is 1 mol/L.

pH can also go negative and is negative for Hydrochloric acid at concentrations higher that 1mol/L.

:eng101:

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

hooman posted:

pH is concentration of hydrogen ions in solution with it being defined as H+ concentration (mol/l) = 10^-pH

So if you have a pH of 0, your concentration of hydrogen ions in solution is 1 mol/L.

pH can also go negative and is negative for Hydrochloric acid at concentrations higher that 1mol/L.

Gotcha, I just remember calculating -log(H+) and logarithms don't like 0

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

DarkHorse posted:

Gotcha, I just remember calculating -log(H+) and logarithms don't like 0

log(0) is totally fine, that's just 1. log(x)=0 doesn't work.

EDIT: DO NOT LISTEN TO THIS, IT IS LIES, ALL LIES

Karia has a new favorite as of 05:06 on Aug 29, 2020

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Karia posted:

log(0) is totally fine, that's just 1. log(x)=0 doesn't work.

Other way around. log(1) = 0 and log(0) is undefined.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Acids 'stronger' than Sulfuric acid are measured on a scale called the Hammett Acidity function, (H0). 18.4mol H2SO4 has a H0 of -12; Chemistry thread favourite HF has a value of -15.1; Carborane is -18; and Fluoroantimonic acid has a value somewhere between -23 and -21.

Superacids gently caress.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

hooman posted:

I thought calculating acidity was kind of complicated but this seems pretty basic.

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

ultrafilter posted:

Other way around. log(1) = 0 and log(0) is undefined.

I'm an idiot who should not do math past midnight.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Karia posted:

EDIT: DO NOT LISTEN TO THIS, IT IS LIES, ALL LIES

This part got a good laugh out of me, at least.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Karia posted:

I'm an idiot who should not do math past midnight.

Me too, but the midnight in question was sometime in 2002

hawaiian_robot
Dec 5, 2006

And I'm happy just to sit here,
At a table with old friends.
And see which one of us can tell the biggest lies

Outrail posted:

I thought calculating acidity was kind of complicated but this seems pretty basic.

I see what you did there

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Phy posted:

Me too, but the midnight in question was sometime in 2002

For me sometime after 2015.

Got a math minor and flunked out of Electrical Engineering after mastering Fourier (and sense forgetting it) but somehow can still do basic arithmatic in my head with relative speed that a lot of my peers couldn't and still can't. Probably why I flunked out and got a degree in general studies instead :v:

I'm still torn if advanced Calculus makes me laugh or cry: Electricity poo poo is ALL freaky calculus to the powers of i, but at the same time I had a professor teach Linear Algebra all semester in my Cal II class, and my professor for Cal III was so bad the math tutors ran screaming from his work instead of trying to help you (Hint: if you're at Texas Tech and your Cal III teacher says the path from his office to happy hour at Bash Riprock's is a differentiable line: RUN).

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Someone tell me what high schools do to people to make them think pH can't go negative. I've heard that myth quite often, it's really weird.

I think the same people believe it can't go over 14 either?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Carbon dioxide posted:

Someone tell me what high schools do to people to make them think pH can't go negative. I've heard that myth quite often, it's really weird.

I think it's more "These are weird cases and basically what the scale was designed for, anything outside of these are weird edge cases for your day-to-day life" if you're dealing with a -1 or 16 pH you probably should have a chemistry degree or at least specialized training.

I mean, if you "know" pH goes from 0-14 with 7 being Neutral then you're at least better than the people who think "Lower pH is better"...or is it higher is better? Whatever the crazy health food fad is.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Alkydere posted:

I mean, if you "know" pH goes from 0-14 with 7 being Neutral then you're at least better than the people who think "Lower pH is better"...or is it higher is better? Whatever the crazy health food fad is.
Pretty sure it's been both, depending on which fad you listen to.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Are there fad diets that push acidic diets? I think I've only seen alkaline/basic woo diets.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I’ve seen acidic diets alleged to combat the novel coronavirus.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I don't know if it's related, but in Dutch, constant complainers are sometimes referred to as "vinegar pissers".

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Carbon dioxide posted:

I think it's just the limitations of the typical definition of the pH calculation

log(x) is undefined or doesn't exist for x < 0, so it would be easy to think pH is as well since that function is used to calculate it (and it's unlikely anyone would have experience with superacids or bases to know better)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS
You have to work very hard to get your pH lower than 0 or higher than 14 in an aqueous solution, which is the only kind of solutions non-chemists are familiar with. In fact, once you get outside of that range, your acid or base are concentrated enough that it can get iffy to argue that water is still a solvent and not an impurity in the mix.

Concentration as a notion only has meaning in the presence of a solvent. For extremely concentrated solutions one would use activity instead. I’m sure someone else who’s studied this stuff less than 20 years ago will be able to tell you more about it.

E: more to the point. pH=-log(concentration) and concentration is always positive, think of it as the number of chemical entities that are aqueous H+ ions per volume of solution. So your pH is always defined from a mathematical standpoint, that’s not a problem.

HerStuddMuffin has a new favorite as of 12:53 on Aug 29, 2020