Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

No one knows if it's in the game, Starr Mazer isn't out yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Phlegmish posted:

Are these things actually in the game, or is it just what one of their ex-employees is saying?

If it's the former, uh, at least rape has negative consequences, so technically it could have been worse

One of the other writers responded to say there was no rape scripted , it sounds like it was an idea floated by one of the leads that didn't make it to the page.
https://twitter.com/filmette/status/1292997718097293312?s=19

https://twitter.com/castpixel/status/1293077824383987712?s=19

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Aug 12, 2020

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
All of the SuiKlone stretch goals are $25K USD apart now making the illusion even sillier. But maybe they'll just throw in the entire design bible and get crackin' :black101:

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Hub Cat posted:

One of the other writers responded to say there was no rape scripted , it sounds like it was an idea floated by one of the leads that didn't make it to the page.
https://twitter.com/filmette/status/1292997718097293312?s=19

https://twitter.com/castpixel/status/1293077824383987712?s=19

So, it sounds like the guy who wanted to add that was abused themselves? Not that it gives him a free pass to do whatever he wants, but its not like they were actually committing the act themselves. I think you can give an abuse victim a little bit of leniency for suggesting to include something horrible that they experienced even if it was done terribly. Its not like it ended up in the final product. Its also pretty lovely to out the experience of an abuse victim when it was something they told you in private.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Andrigaar posted:

All of the SuiKlone stretch goals are $25K USD apart now making the illusion even sillier. But maybe they'll just throw in the entire design bible and get crackin' :black101:

It looks like they're on the verge of the duelling gameplay being unlocked.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
A failed kickstarter from back in 2017 manaed to come out anyway. I was really looking forward to it then, so I'm hoping it's good/does well.

https://twitter.com/GoNintendoTweet/status/1295755160237608960?s=19

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

LibrarianCroaker posted:

A failed kickstarter from back in 2017 manaed to come out anyway. I was really looking forward to it then, so I'm hoping it's good/does well.

https://twitter.com/GoNintendoTweet/status/1295755160237608960?s=19

I played the demo back during that steam fest. It's nice to look at but I felt it was overly-simplistic to actually play.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
What happened to Crypt Underworlds?

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

goblin week posted:

What happened to Crypt Underworlds?

Lilith Zone March 2020 posted:

hey we put up a development build along with two other WIP games at https://lilithzone.itch.io/fundraisins -

relatively speaking, we'll have a proper early access further down the line, so people can play it as we keep adding more writing and stuff to do- until a day in which it is "complete"- but for now, if you want to walk around in a rough mostly exploratory version of the game world, there's probably a few hours of stuff to check out in this build- yahoo, yahoo..

Chubby Henparty fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Aug 25, 2020

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Not!Suikoden's about to hit 4 million. I guess the Kickstarter nostalgia age really isn't over.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

CottonWolf posted:

Not!Suikoden's about to hit 4 million. I guess the Kickstarter nostalgia age really isn't over.

I don't think it was ever really over. There is just a finite amount of dead franchises that can be revived.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It helps that it's a Kickstarter that is incredibly up front about everything it is doing, including asking people to please stop donating past their means. Doesn't mean it will succeed but they at least know how to build confidence.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

It also helps that it at least looks like a well planned and competently managed game hitting a pretty underserved niche.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

They just announced a special bonus for anyone getting a physical copy of Not Suikoden

quote:

Some fans of Murayama-san and Kawano-san’s previous work might remember some particularly...unusual Western box art that saw the light of day in the West. We’re happy to announce that after finally unlocking the last tier of the Painter’s Gallery in the social game, Kawano-san will be creating alternate “Bad Western Cover Art" that will ship with every physical copy of the game...whether you like it or not! But as they say: "Beauty is in the eye of the backer".

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
while not a game itself, this kickstarter is pretty neat(if expensive) gaming-related merch, I really like the diablos and rathalos skulls.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/arvalis/monster-skulls-premium-enamel-pins

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Wicked Them Beats posted:

They just announced a special bonus for anyone getting a physical copy of Not Suikoden

Neat! Also they've finally added an Army Battle stretch goal so I'm in.

And some sort of Natsume town sim for 7 bucks over a previous pledge. Hmm, hope that one works out.

Arbite fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Aug 29, 2020

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Eiyuden's success is in part thanks to an atypically high amount of Japanese backers - even super-Japanese pitches tend to be majority funded by international pledges.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Arbite posted:

Neat! Also they've finally added an Army Battle stretch goal so I'm in.

And some sort of Natsume town sim for 7 bucks over a previous pledge. Hmm, hope that one works out.

Natsume town sim? What?

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

StrixNebulosa posted:

Natsume town sim? What?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/rabbitandbearstudios/eiyuden-chronicle-hundred-heroes/posts/2938438

Description posted:

It’s with great excitement that we announce our plans to partner with Natsume-Atari to create an Town Creation RPG. Natsume is known for the Harvest Moon series. Natsume Atari has done some great pixel based games like Ninja Warriors and Wild Guns.

So what is THIS? We are still very, very early in the planning stages so there is a lot we cannot commit to. However, these are the current thoughts:

It will release before the main game, which will hopefully hold you over during the excruciatingly long 2 and a half year wait.
It will feature a variety of different “lifestyle” mini-games that will allow you to gather a wide variety of different materials to build up your town/farm/house.
The goal is to allow these materials to transfer over to Eiyuden Chronicle allowing you a head-start at crafting some of the different items/armor/etc in the game.
You will get to meet a few of the characters that appear in Eiyuden Chronicle and get to know them a bit earlier.
There may be some kind of battle mechanic, but we are still talking it over.

Some production points of note:

Allowing a partner like Natsume-Atari to work on this game helps us make something we love without worrying about too much wear and tear on the team.
The goal is to share as many assets/designs/etc. so that it will be an efficient production.

20 minutes.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

This is honestly rather deceptive. Natsume is known for “Harvest Moon”, because they own the trademark. They’re not the ones that actually made most of the Harvest Moon games. Story of Seasons is the real harvest moon.

They’re using the goodwill of a series they didn’t earn.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Maguoob posted:

This is honestly rather deceptive. Natsume is known for “Harvest Moon”, because they own the trademark. They’re not the ones that actually made most of the Harvest Moon games. Story of Seasons is the real harvest moon.

It's also Natsume-Atari, which is apparently a different company from Natsume Inc. So... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Maguoob posted:

It's doubly deceptive because Natsume-Atari isn't even that same Natsume and has jack poo poo to do with Harvest Moon

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

It's doubly deceptive because Natsume-Atari isn't even that same Natsume and has jack poo poo to do with Harvest Moon

CottonWolf posted:

It's also Natsume-Atari, which is apparently a different company from Natsume Inc. So... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Oh good, they decided outright fraud was a good stretch goal. A quick look at Wikipedia and it appears that Natsume-Atari never had anything to do with Harvest Moon. The first Harvest Moon came out after the split and while the publisher of the western release was the other Natsume this one had nothing to do with the JP version.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Speaking of questionable kickstarter decisions, the algorithm decided to recommend me this.

Yes, that is a dating game where you date genderswapped anime versions of famous serial killers. And it's funded. I don't even know why I'm surprised at this point.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

CottonWolf posted:

Speaking of questionable kickstarter decisions, the algorithm decided to recommend me this.

Yes, that is a dating game where you date genderswapped anime versions of famous serial killers. And it's funded. I don't even know why I'm surprised at this point.

People wanted to gently caress anime hurricane Irma why would you even question or be suprised by this by 2020

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

What rule is it that if something exists there's a waifu version of it?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

CottonWolf posted:

how could they make this game and not have teddy kaczynski in it, sure, she wouldn't get all intimate with you, but she has a very unique world view and a tragic past and is in touch with nature

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Maguoob posted:

Oh good, they decided outright fraud was a good stretch goal. A quick look at Wikipedia and it appears that Natsume-Atari never had anything to do with Harvest Moon. The first Harvest Moon came out after the split and while the publisher of the western release was the other Natsume this one had nothing to do with the JP version.

Oh, the entire campaign was a bit fraudulent. They very obviously had a publisher deal in advance of the Kickstarter but were pretending that key elements of the formula people loved like army battles and duels were important stretch goals they could finally afford to implement for an extra $100k USD over the previous goal. I'm sure the massive success of the Kickstarter has gotten them some more funding or more favorable terms from whichever publisher is bankrolling the actual cost of what they want to do, but there was quite a bit of theater involved.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Oh, the entire campaign was a bit fraudulent. They very obviously had a publisher deal in advance of the Kickstarter but were pretending that key elements of the formula people loved like army battles and duels were important stretch goals they could finally afford to implement for an extra $100k USD over the previous goal. I'm sure the massive success of the Kickstarter has gotten them some more funding or more favorable terms from whichever publisher is bankrolling the actual cost of what they want to do, but there was quite a bit of theater involved.

I'm quite surprised they found a publisher. The impression I've got is that niche heavily-funded kickstarters don't sell particularly well at release as most of the audience they're targetting brought in during the campaign.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

CottonWolf posted:

I'm quite surprised they found a publisher. The impression I've got is that niche heavily-funded kickstarters don't sell particularly well at release as most of the audience they're targetting brought in during the campaign.

Seems like the campaign was really to prove that the demand wasn't niche, and that they think it could sell as well as something like Octopath Traveler. And they're very obviously leaning into Octopath's visual aesthetic, which likely helped entice whichever publishers they were negotiating with. Perhaps if they'd barely limped over their initial funding goal then that might have had the publisher(s) pulling out of the deal, but they quadrupled it.

If we look at this campaign, they have over 40k backers, but Octopath Traveler sold over 1.5 million copies. The backers are going to be a drop in the bucket if you think you can sell even a few hundred thousand copies, and they're probably hoping to emulate the sales success of something like Octopath or Bloodstained, which was also crowdfunded and has sold over a million copies (not a coincidence this campaign was trotting out Igarashi).

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

I can't remember if it was there at launch but they have a big section on their KS campaign where they outright say they have a publisher and the KS campaign is to demonstrate interest as a condition to getting publisher funding, so they're not exactly hiding it:

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Years on and I still think it's funny how we every major campaign needs to remind the world that they lose a ton of money to Kickstarter's tithe, physical rewards and shipping.

Anyway, I was under the impression they were still in negotiations between a few publishers for which one would give them the most money for development. Must've misread something or fallen for the collective guessing game the first week it started.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

CottonWolf posted:

Looking it up, the Japanese Natsume established a subsidiary in 2002 called Atari to run pachislot machines - it had no relation to the older Atari (or Infogrames). They then merged with this subsidiary in 2013 and changed their name.

ErrEff fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Aug 30, 2020

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

quote:

Developer Correction

In our Final Stretch Goal update, there was a mistake in the developer profile that we would like to amend.

Mistake:“Natsume is known for the Harvest Moon series. Natsume Atari has done some great pixel based games like Ninja Warriors and Wild Guns.”

Correction:“Natsume Atari is known for great pixel based games like Ninja Warriors and Wild Guns.”

We deeply apologize for any confusion this might have created.

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer
Witchmarsh is a Kickstarter I backed in 2014, with an expected release date of 2015, stopped updating in late 2019, and has out of the blue updated today to say they're still working on it and are not compromising their vision.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Hollandia posted:

Witchmarsh is a Kickstarter I backed in 2014, with an expected release date of 2015, stopped updating in late 2019, and has out of the blue updated today to say they're still working on it and are not compromising their vision.

I'll believe it when the game is actually released.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Am I correct in my assumption that this statement was released after they took everyone's money?

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Memento posted:

Am I correct in my assumption that this statement was released after they took everyone's money?

That is correct, but they didn't mention the weird farming game until the very last day of the campaign. So the first $4 million they got was before anyone had heard anything about this.

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer

StrixNebulosa posted:

I'll believe it when the game is actually released.
:same:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
I've been kind of following Ikenfell, a magic academy JRPG, despite not having backed it, and it finally got a release date: Oct 8, for PC (Steam/Humble/W10), Switch, PS4, and XB1. It was originally funded back in summer 2016 with a summer 2018 release date.

It also has a new trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXa1URp3tmU