Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Eejit posted:

E I have consistently preferred stock footbeds over any orthotic or "upgrade" I've tried. Both for alpine and touring boots.

Aside from housing still being a pain in the rear end, Avon/Edwards is a good option. Definitely better than Silverthorne or Dillon

The Beav is like one of the best kept secrets in CO because it has a bunch of great terrain but is always empty. Vail is also pretty empty mid week

I agree that I would look to be in Avon for a month. The OP will need to try to find housing pretty soon though. That will be the hardest part.

Razzled posted:

Honestly if you get a good midweek day in Vail I have no idea why you'd go to Breck except for dinner and apres ski. I went with a buddy for the first time last season and we got a pow day with hardly anyone around it was glorious. Knee deep in the good poo poo in the back bowls was heaven for my first season on a gentemstick barracuda.

Vail can be fine and good. It is kind of flat though and the if the back bowls get sun they get chunky fast. Breck has steeper and more interesting terrain (plus free parking). Even mid week all the I-70 resorts can be crazy and if you drive over Vail pass I would rather go to Beaver Creek.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
3rd'ing that Beaver Creek kicks rear end.

I don't get it. Even if it is crowded parking on a weekend, the mountain is always empty. It's like people just go there to take some Instagram photos with their skis and hot chocolate and don't actually hit the mountain.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Moey posted:

3rd'ing that Beaver Creek kicks rear end.

I don't get it. Even if it is crowded parking on a weekend, the mountain is always empty. It's like people just go there to take some Instagram photos with their skis and hot chocolate and don't actually hit the mountain.

I always assumed it was because people just get sick of driving and stop at Breck/Vail.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Thanks for all the info everyone. I think I have settled on Avon and Beaver Creek. From earlier discussion it sounds like Vail has pay parking. Is that everyday or just weekend? I am also hoping that if Beaver Creek is less crowded it will be easier to get the days reserved or whatever on the pass. I would hate to go down there and only get like 10 days out of the month.

Uncle Lloyd
Sep 2, 2019
Vail parking at the garages is paid everyday during the ski day. Free after 4:00. There is a lot of free offsite parking along the street in the outer village though, as long as you’re willing to take the bus to the gondola. The west end of North Frontage Road and west of Chamonix roundabout are the largest ones, but there are others scattered. I think the town has a map on their website. When I lived in Avon a couple seasons ago I would always park at the roundabout, never had any problems finding a space even after 9:00 (with the caveat I never skied weekends). (fairly important edit: weekdays-->weekends)

Also if you live in Avon and buy an Eco Bus pass, the ranger station above Minturn has a bunch of parking available, and the rt 6 bus stops there pretty frequently.

Uncle Lloyd fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Aug 29, 2020

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

ImplicitAssembler posted:

I spent a Xmas riding at Sunpeaks and it was awesome. Granted, got lucky with the snow, but a fair amount of terrain, decent lifts, moderate crowds.

Yeah the other benefit of Kamloops is you are within striking distance of Silverstar, Big White, and Revy as well so you aren't tied to one hill.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

WHERE MY HAT IS AT posted:

Based on both of you saying that I think Kimberley is pretty much out. There’s surprisingly good stuff in Kamloops, in particular there’s a 1.5 acre property 20 minutes from Sun Peaks that’s only like 375k which is awesome. Fernie is a bit pricier but there’s a few places in budget for sure. Will have to ski it this winter and see how it feels.

I think we really need to try revy in an off peak time. My only memory of it aside from the amazing powder is waiting in line an hour before first chair and still being 45 minutes away from the front of it, but that was over Christmas so who knows.

I’d be shocked if you could get high speed internet at that property, I don’t even get cell service along most of that stretch of road.

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011

HookShot posted:

I’d be shocked if you could get high speed internet at that property, I don’t even get cell service along most of that stretch of road.

Telus assures me that we can! I’m assuming they ran fibre up to the resort, as addresses along the main road do have availability. I’d want to double extra super confirm before buying a place though for sure.

Kamloops is probably going to be our option if we go for a bigger town, otherwise Fernie is looking most likely. We’re going to stay in Canmore for at least this winter and start looking in earnest in the spring.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Cool, good idea to check out potential hills. At Fernie you also have Castle, assuming the Crowsnest is open

I'd also check the average season for each option, as Sunshine's is so insanely long it might ruin your expectations elsewhere.

(Also also assuming we might be able to ski this year it'd be cool to meet up and demonstrate my complete lack of grace and form)

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011
Definitely would be keen for a goon ski-meet! Assuming the season happens. Otherwise, perhaps we can die together in the backcountry!

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.
Or we could rent Opus Hut and do both

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Moot .1415926535 posted:

Or we could rent Opus Hut and do both

We are down for this.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Depending on the timing we’re in too.

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011
Hookshot, how do you like living basically on a resort? There's a few ski-in ski-out places in Sun Peaks that look big enough and have garages that we're sort of considering that option. I guess we could try making friends with lifties/staff but they'd all be pretty temporary.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Hookshot, how do you like living basically on a resort? There's a few ski-in ski-out places in Sun Peaks that look big enough and have garages that we're sort of considering that option. I guess we could try making friends with lifties/staff but they'd all be pretty temporary.

I love living in Whistler, I would hate living in Sun Peaks. SP is just too small and doesn’t have enough of a real community that lives there full time. I’m often there before the mountain opens for the season so you get to see what it’s like when there’s only locals and there is literally no one. There are like ten restaurant options, tops. And after having to spend three days driving to and from the hospital in Kamloops that sealed the deal that I would never, ever live there. Whistler is an actual town, Sun Peaks is a large collection of vacation homes.

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011
That makes sense, but is a bit disappointing. I think with everyone's input we've mostly narrowed the field to:

- Fernie
- Kamloops
- Vernon
- Revelstoke

In roughly that order of preference, at least until we can get a week or two at each this summer/fall. Being ten minutes away or on resort would be killer, but can only happen in Fernie or Revelstoke I guess. Vernon and Kamloops we could probably be a similar distance as we are now from Sunshine but we'd get more space at home. I'll make sure to update the thread when we get closer to a decision, but it's very exciting! Canmore was a good gateway drug for us to mountain living and I'll miss it but it's just so unaffordable long-term.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

spwrozek posted:

We are down for this.

Their availability calendar isn’t up yet for 2021 but it looks like we’d be looking at $500/nt with a two night minimum which honestly is a pretty great deal. Late February or early March would probably be ideal. We’d also have to figure out the COVID thing, making sure everybody has a recent negative test. Not sure if they’ll have their wood stove sauna open because of that but it is pretty sweet.

I’ll try to call the guy this week and find out more if that time frame sounds reasonable to everyone.

e: Or we could just get a house in Silverton, do a private guided group and take some laps in a helicopter which would be about the same cost and also delightful.

Moot .1415926535 fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Aug 31, 2020

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

If you want ski in look at Pano/Invermere

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

God damnit I just learned that Ivanka Trump bought a house here

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Bilirubin posted:

If you want ski in look at Pano/Invermere

Uh, that’s even worse than Sun Peaks. Pano has zero community on the hill and it’s barely longer a drive than Sun Peaks, except Kamloops is an actual city unlike Inverness.

Plus Pano is objectively the worst hill in BC.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Lots of despicable people have houses in ski towns

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?
It's more about the spirit of the locals than the spirit of the absentee homeowners.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Moot .1415926535 posted:

Their availability calendar isn’t up yet for 2021 but it looks like we’d be looking at $500/nt with a two night minimum which honestly is a pretty great deal. Late February or early March would probably be ideal. We’d also have to figure out the COVID thing, making sure everybody has a recent negative test. Not sure if they’ll have their wood stove sauna open because of that but it is pretty sweet.

I’ll try to call the guy this week and find out more if that time frame sounds reasonable to everyone.

e: Or we could just get a house in Silverton, do a private guided group and take some laps in a helicopter which would be about the same cost and also delightful.

Sweet. Let's figure something out. Hopefully we have Covid kicked in the rear end by early March (lol)

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Disinterested posted:

It's more about the spirit of the locals than the spirit of the absentee homeowners.

Yeah, but the problem is Sun Peaks has very few actual locals, and Pano has even fewer. Literally the only people who live on the hill itself are a handful of seasonal workers. End of list. And if you're going to choose between living in Kamloops and living in Inveremere, I'll take Kamloops 100% of the time. Invermere isn't bad per se, but it suffers from a lot of the same problems as Kimberley, and Pano is just not a good hill. It's great if you enjoy ski racing (the entire hill is an ice rink 90% of the time), being nickle-and-dimed, and everyone working there being dicks.

Eejit posted:

Sure, and a few non-despicable people as well, but when it's your permanent home you care about the other people who have made it their permanent home, not so much the city people who come up for weekends. That's way less important.

HookShot fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Aug 31, 2020

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011
Thanks HookShot, you've got some really valuable perspective! It's too bad Golden has such poo poo internet or it would be on our list as well. For now, we've solved the problem the way we solve all problems and created a spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1LjgIhQlWDrVPRZbqZxEsfY4TYQ486SDLnhZwvQswvbE/edit#gid=1600884002.

Kamloops is far and away the cheapest but we'd also be the furthest from skiing and it gets the least snow. Hoping Fernie scratches the same itch that Canmore has, we're going to go look at a couple places next weekend and see what it's like in shoulder season. This is the first time we've been moving while both fully remote workers and it's amazing being able to basically pick where you want to live solely on how good the skiing/biking is going to be.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
No worries! Honestly, Golden is a hole and you're not missing much. Kicking Horse is a great resort but the actual town is... not good.

I've never actually been to Fernie so I can't give you any insights there at all. I hope you enjoy it! I know one of the ski patrollers there and he seems to like it.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Little bit of a dusting up high last night

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

spwrozek posted:

Sweet. Let's figure something out. Hopefully we have Covid kicked in the rear end by early March (lol)

both options sound rad and the timeline sounds right, definitely want to stay in the loop

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Now that I'm a ski team officer and have to deal directly with resort management I long for the days where I was just a race dad and snowboarder. It's bad enough dealing with the conflicting needs of the resort between the locals, day trippers and race team and the love/hate relationships they have with the ski teams in the best of times but when we've in the middle of the COVID economic apocalypse it's even worse as we try to have a safe season and the resort tries to keep from going under.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Moot .1415926535 posted:

Little bit of a dusting up high last night

Yeah! I got loving blizzarded hiking up Mt Cameron on Saturday. And it's been much cooler, which also owns

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Eejit posted:

I am a prime example of that.

Breck has gotten dusted twice in the past few days. Nighttime temps have been hitting low 40s high 30s. I'm still excited for this season even with the reservation headache. Hopefully we can get a full season.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I am all set for February, assuming some sort of disaster does not occur. I was able to get a condo to myself, but it is in a big building in the middle of Avon. It is called "Seasons". Looks a little dated, but affordability was kind of an issue. It seems like it is only 200 to 300 feet from the Gondola, that leads to the lift that leads to the base. Luckily Avon has a WalMart so I should be able to stock up on supplies and hopefully just ski all day, go back to the room to eat and sleep, and then on the weekends rest and play video games while the resorts get more crowded.

Now I am wondering/hoping that the reservation system works out ok. I guess Epic pass you get 7 days you can reserve before the season starts, and once the season starts the reservations can not be further than a week out? I am wondering exactly how the system is going to work out. To be honest I would hate to drive all the way to Colorado and then only get to ski 7 days. I mean, I doubt that will happen, but who knows? Will there be negative repercussions if I sign up to go multiple times in a week and then miss a day? Or do I have to be at the resort at a certain time for them to honor the reservation? Their FAQ/letter didn't seem to address the specifics of how reservations are going to work.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

This was the house we rented in Silverton a couple of winters ago:

https://t.vrbo.io/0PLo8tx0t9

We had 10 people in there comfortably at $35/pp/pn. It’s pretty cheap to stay in town. We got a 36” overnight dump and couldn’t ski Silverton Mountain due to avy danger one of the days, but they have a little local hill called Kendall that’s in town where you can ski for like a $20 donation to their local ski club, and really anything is fun with 3 feet of fresh snow.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

HookShot posted:

Uh, that’s even worse than Sun Peaks. Pano has zero community on the hill and it’s barely longer a drive than Sun Peaks, except Kamloops is an actual city unlike Inverness.

Plus Pano is objectively the worst hill in BC.

hahaha I forgot your hatred for Pano burned so bright!

I was just talking about being able to live on the hill, strap in, and ski from your yard to the lift.

I do like Inverness though, although its small it does have something to offer, and summers with the lake are nice, and great biking in the area too.

(I'd never live in Inverness)

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

I picked up some new skis on my way home from daycare drop-off today.

These are ancient (they were new when I was racing in college) and totally worthless for racing, but I enjoy that this is the sort of poo poo that people put out for free at the end of their driveway in my neighborhood like it's an old ratty couch

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Yuns posted:

Now that I'm a ski team officer and have to deal directly with resort management I long for the days where I was just a race dad and snowboarder. It's bad enough dealing with the conflicting needs of the resort between the locals, day trippers and race team and the love/hate relationships they have with the ski teams in the best of times but when we've in the middle of the COVID economic apocalypse it's even worse as we try to have a safe season and the resort tries to keep from going under.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but bwahaahahahahahahhahaha.....

I'm just going into every meeting right now like "Do you really think anything is going to make it safe to put 50 kids on a bus in the next 6 months?"

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Bilirubin posted:

hahaha I forgot your hatred for Pano burned so bright!

I was just talking about being able to live on the hill, strap in, and ski from your yard to the lift.

I do like Inverness though, although its small it does have something to offer, and summers with the lake are nice, and great biking in the area too.

(I'd never live in Inverness)

Hahahah yeah, I’ve been yelled at by people there so many times.

You’re totally right that it’s technically possible to live on hill. It would suck though. I also like Invermere for short trips. It’s like Kimberley but without the good local restaurants lol. Too small to live there permanently, and you’re even further from civilization.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

HookShot posted:

Hahahah yeah, I’ve been yelled at by people there so many times.

You’re totally right that it’s technically possible to live on hill. It would suck though. I also like Invermere for short trips. It’s like Kimberley but without the good local restaurants lol. Too small to live there permanently, and you’re even further from civilization.

The Birchwood is nice, and the sushi restaurant...and the Blue Dog Cafe? Also the pizza place has vegan cheese...ok I'm done. I'm sure the faux german haus dining up on the highway is ok but my wife can't eat just spaetzle

But they have a Fields which is, I mean, they have a Fields!

We usually do one or two day strikes there each year but we are avoiding entering BC during this plague. We did venture into Kootenay NP for a picnic this week but on our way back a Harley driver lost control on the 93 and tried to head on us (just barely missed them to driver's right by inches from our mirror) and they ditched so we helped with first aid and waited for EMS and RCMP from Invermere. They ultimately called in STARS from Calgary (rider is ok, with a concussion but nothing else). So that was a thing that happened that I am still processing.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

The plan to reduce crowding and keep Telluride safe from COVID, as announced by the ski company in the coming days, is to raise lift ticket prices to be on par with Vail. I can’t find any flaw in this logic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

If Perisher (vail) has shown us one thing it's that people are quite prepared to pay an extra 30% on the regular prices so I look forward to seeing how much my 21 epic pass is gonna cost.