Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
I talked a buddy into a EDM Pro for his house...and it's already poo poo itself. I bought mine, but haven't setup yet. In this case, I don't know if there was a power surge or what. But, while I had considered getting a UPS, this brings the topic forward a bit. Any recommendations for a 1u UPS to power a UDM Pro, a switch, 3 APs and probably the cable modem? I don't need a ton of up time, just something that will let me shut down gracefully within an hour or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Beverly Cleavage posted:

I talked a buddy into a EDM Pro for his house...and it's already poo poo itself. I bought mine, but haven't setup yet. In this case, I don't know if there was a power surge or what. But, while I had considered getting a UPS, this brings the topic forward a bit. Any recommendations for a 1u UPS to power a UDM Pro, a switch, 3 APs and probably the cable modem? I don't need a ton of up time, just something that will let me shut down gracefully within an hour or something.

Does it have to be rackmount? Like it sounds dumb, but you pay the rackmount tax for UPSes something fierce.

My 850VA one ran my modem and USG and would have lasted at least an hour if not more I think.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Buff Hardback posted:

Two different use cases. Unifi is more shiny and targeted towards high end pro/SMB, the Edge lineup is designed for serious business networking/ISP level deployments.

The EdgeRouter range last got a firmware update in March and v2 of the OS which was meant to be the "we promise we will fix all the problems this time around" release still has weird bugs and is down on performance compared to 1.9.x.

There's an UNMS Router in the EA store to go with the UNMS Switch so I'd say the EdgeRouter / EdgeSwitch line is going away

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

Buff Hardback posted:

Does it have to be rackmount? Like it sounds dumb, but you pay the rackmount tax for UPSes something fierce.

My 850VA one ran my modem and USG and would have lasted at least an hour if not more I think.

Doesn't have to be, just figured use the rack since I bought it, figured it would be easier. Ultimately, doesn't matter.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
I have a USG, a few FlexHD APs, and a few Unifi switches. I want to configure it so that wireless clients are not able to access any of the wired clients. I have one printer that is wireless that I would like to be able to access from both wired and wireless clients. How should I go about setting this up?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Beverly Cleavage posted:

Doesn't have to be, just figured use the rack since I bought it, figured it would be easier. Ultimately, doesn't matter.

A 19" shelf and a regular ups is likely cheaper than a 2u ups. 1u ups's are going to be super premium due to needing to either use nonstandard lead batteries or lithium based ones.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Beverly Cleavage posted:

They do cost more but I put one of these in a client's office to keep a couple of switches and PoE injectors running and it's been good:
https://www.amazon.com/CyberPower-OR500LCDRM1U-Smart-500VA-Rackmount/dp/B000XJJN60/

I haven't had to replace the batteries yet but apparently they're hot swappable (it uses two thinner 6V instead of a single 12V to fit the form factor):
https://smile.amazon.com/CyberPower-RB0670X2-Replacement-Maintenance-Free-Installable/dp/B009ACPC5C

There's also the option to replace the batteries and keep the existing tray saving a little money. I'd agree with everyone that there's some benefits (mostly cost) to going with a normal UPS instead of rackmount but the price premium on a small one like that isn't too bad.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

It's definitely not an awful price, but more than anything I just paid less than that for my 1500VA tower style UPSes.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

sebmojo posted:

I have what I am fairly sure is cat 5 running from a vdsl port in one end of the house to a vdsl port in the other. Now I have a fibre modem and a powerline networking kit to connect to it, but the speed isn't great. Can I just rewire both ports and plug my computer into one end and the modem into the other? Do I need a special crimping tool to do it?

Bump for great justice

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

sebmojo posted:

Bump for great justice

Yes. But do not plug in your computer to the open internet, put a router in the middle. Depending on how your jack is wired it might "just work" but otherwise you will need a punch down tool.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

H110Hawk posted:

Yes. But do not plug in your computer to the open internet, put a router in the middle. Depending on how your jack is wired it might "just work" but otherwise you will need a punch down tool.

Thanks. And yep, the lead would run computer » jack » repurposed vdsl » jack » router » fibre modem.

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

Thanks Ants posted:

The EdgeRouter range last got a firmware update in March and v2 of the OS which was meant to be the "we promise we will fix all the problems this time around" release still has weird bugs and is down on performance compared to 1.9.x.

There's an UNMS Router in the EA store to go with the UNMS Switch so I'd say the EdgeRouter / EdgeSwitch line is going away

I'm still going back and forth about edge switch vs unifi switch. The former gives me peace of mind knowing I don't need a controller to configure it. Is this justified or am I concerned for nothing?

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

kiwid posted:

I'm still going back and forth about edge switch vs unifi switch. The former gives me peace of mind knowing I don't need a controller to configure it. Is this justified or am I concerned for nothing?

You don't need the controller if you don't care about monitoring or any of the dashboard stuff, you can configure you network using the app.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
So should I not buy an ubiquiti switch for a bit to see what shakes out?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Thanks Ants posted:

poo poo, I would be so enthused about that first one if I weren't already skittish from the Unifi Video thing and the Dream Machine being an absolute dogshit piece of hardware.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Aug 30, 2020

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Do any of you bother with IP reservations in your home settings? I just made one for the printer cause I've been subject to too much printer fuckery in my career and just want the slut to work.

Secondly, what do I stand to gain from one of those routers posted above? What would you use for wifi in that case? Just offload that responsibility onto my Archer or whatever?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

codo27 posted:

Do any of you bother with IP reservations in your home settings? I just made one for the printer cause I've been subject to too much printer fuckery in my career and just want the slut to work.

Secondly, what do I stand to gain from one of those routers posted above? What would you use for wifi in that case? Just offload that responsibility onto my Archer or whatever?

Basically for the things like your example. Printer, synology, AP's, server. Everything else who cares.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

codo27 posted:

I do IP reservations for stuff I don't want IPs to change like my printer, home server, a couple VMs, stuff like that. I just have my DHCP start at 192.168.1.10 and reserve stuff in the .2 - .9 range.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

codo27 posted:

I reserve most devices, especially if I think I will ever remote into them. However, I run a pfSense appliance so I know I am already a 1% of 1% edge case, and pf makes it so easy to assign static IPs, so why not?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Network adjacent, but you all are a knowledgeable sort. The old laptop I was using as a central home server blew up and I find myself out of old hardware I can throw Linux onto and call it a day. What are the general guidelines for a middling home server setup? Use case would primarily be running a dozen or so assorted dockerized services with the most intensive being a Plex server, but it would be nice to spin up and down VMs as well. I also plan to buy/builf a NAS at some point so SMB/NFS duties until then as well.

Tbh, the old laptop was doing a fine job until it wasn’t so I assume hardware specs would have to be insane. I’m doing fine with everything moved over to a RasPi, but those tend to eat SD cards before too long.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

A little HP/Lenovo/Dell micro desktop thing off eBay tends to be my go-to, then attach the disks externally via USB or eSATA.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I currently have a router that "combines" the 2.4ghz and 5ghz into one network and automatically offers devices the appropriate connection depending on their capabilities and distance (I think), I'm also using a WIFI extender on this network. This all mostly works fine but sometimes when moving around my apartment, my phone will take a while to establish a wifi connection, feels like this tends to happen when I move between coverage zones. This has led me to considering a mesh solution but I'm curious, just how seamless is the switching between access points with a mesh network? Can I expect to see improvements in this are if I replace my networking equipment?

EDIT: This is a sketch of the place I'm looking to cover, router is at X and my PC is at Y:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

My Eero Pro does the same and it hands off between nodes fairly seemlessly so far in a week of using it. I haven’t noticed any WiFi drops or any issues.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Warbird posted:

Network adjacent, but you all are a knowledgeable sort. The old laptop I was using as a central home server blew up and I find myself out of old hardware I can throw Linux onto and call it a day. What are the general guidelines for a middling home server setup? Use case would primarily be running a dozen or so assorted dockerized services with the most intensive being a Plex server, but it would be nice to spin up and down VMs as well. I also plan to buy/builf a NAS at some point so SMB/NFS duties until then as well.

Tbh, the old laptop was doing a fine job until it wasn’t so I assume hardware specs would have to be insane. I’m doing fine with everything moved over to a RasPi, but those tend to eat SD cards before too long.

A nuc is my go to for new hardware.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Warbird posted:

This is somewhere between a server (pretty minimal hardware can be used) running unraid or get an off the shelf solution like a QNAP 2 or 4 bay server. For the QNAPs running plex with transcoding you need one with an intel cpu rather than an ARM cpu and 2GB or more of ram (depending on how much the docker containers use).

The NAS thread is a good place for more specific discussion.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Roseville.

Even Eero’s help articles says to use another router before the Eero because they don’t support PPPoE. Lame.

From the Eero forums, it sounds like it used to work until a firmware update ~6 months ago.

So I found a pack in stock today and sniffed the WAN using a SPAN port and wireshark. The Eero is sending DHCP offers and not getting replies. The offer packets don't look malformed in any way. It looks like it's Consolidated's fault.

Also got this reply:

"6roybatty6" posted:

I asked CX about this and it turns out to be a bug in the firmware on one particular model of GPON terminal- the Zhone one you've got. We'll probably try to work around it soon but I'd suggest that it's probably quicker to get a new ONT that doesn't have the bug.

So that's some potentially good news.

Then I did an experiment -- the packet capture was showing inbound retransmits still going to the IP address held by the old router, which isn't quite the right behavior. I powered down the ONT completely (have to remove the battery too) and then connected the Eero and booted it all up. And it WORKED. I'll be excited to hear your results.

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

codo27 posted:

i do the same as others... everything that "lives" on my network I give an IP because, why not? It may be placebo but it seems to make the experience smoother with my chromecasts as I've had some trouble with my router lately and needs a semi-weekly reboot. I have a number of computers and web interfaces that I want to have the same IP (like a homeseer Pi), I want my ecobee to be reliably accessed from our phones, I want my different computers to have fixed IP addresses for RDP purposes, etc. The only thing I don't reserve an address for is our smartphones.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

codo27 posted:

APs, NAS, Pihole, couple of containers, printer. I reserved the block from x.x.x.2 through 49 for static addresses, and then let DHCP assign from 50 upwards.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Incessant Excess posted:

I currently have a router that "combines" the 2.4ghz and 5ghz into one network and automatically offers devices the appropriate connection depending on their capabilities and distance (I think), I'm also using a WIFI extender on this network. This all mostly works fine but sometimes when moving around my apartment, my phone will take a while to establish a wifi connection, feels like this tends to happen when I move between coverage zones. This has led me to considering a mesh solution but I'm curious, just how seamless is the switching between access points with a mesh network? Can I expect to see improvements in this are if I replace my networking equipment?

An additional question to this, I currently have a Netgear R7000 which is connected to my cable modem and serves as my router and WIFI network. Could I buy a mesh WIFI solution and hook it up in a way where it *only* replaces the WIFI network of my router, meaning my devices would keep their current IPs and I wouldn't have to set up things like my NAS anew. Is something like that possible? And if so, are there any downsides to doing things this way?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Amazon is such fuckin horse poo poo. I ordered the AX10 last week and then it goes on sale $30 off before it even arrives. Now they want $10 to do a refund and wont price match even with themselves. Prick agents.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Incessant Excess posted:

An additional question to this, I currently have a Netgear R7000 which is connected to my cable modem and serves as my router and WIFI network. Could I buy a mesh WIFI solution and hook it up in a way where it *only* replaces the WIFI network of my router, meaning my devices would keep their current IPs and I wouldn't have to set up things like my NAS anew. Is something like that possible? And if so, are there any downsides to doing things this way?

IP leases are held by mac address, so as long as the device in question is using the same medium (wired vs wireless) the router will continue to hand out the same ip address - with some caveats about not letting the lease time run out while the wifi is off and having another device grab it. All you'd need to do is setup the mesh devices (presumably with the same network name and password) and then turn off the wifi on the router. Mesh will be a lot better than using a regular wifi extender.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

codo27 posted:

Amazon is such fuckin horse poo poo. I ordered the AX10 last week and then it goes on sale $30 off before it even arrives. Now they want $10 to do a refund and wont price match even with themselves. Prick agents.

I would still do it to save $20. Uncle Bezos can afford it.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

codo27 posted:

return it and rebuy it?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Garrand posted:

IP leases are held by mac address, so as long as the device in question is using the same medium (wired vs wireless) the router will continue to hand out the same ip address - with some caveats about not letting the lease time run out while the wifi is off and having another device grab it. All you'd need to do is setup the mesh devices (presumably with the same network name and password) and then turn off the wifi on the router. Mesh will be a lot better than using a regular wifi extender.

Most devices (should / required?) have a different MAC for the wireless and wired interfaces, so you’d have to assign a “duplicate” lease which would probably break if that device somehow connected using both interfaces.

Unless I misunderstood the details above which I probably did.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Yeah, my line there about keeping the same medium meant that they stay connected in the same fashion they currently are. Once they install the mesh system they can just shut off the wifi on the router itself and everything should continue as normal.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Deviant posted:

return it and rebuy it?

There is a $10 fee all of a sudden to do the return. Still gonna do it though, as above, gently caress bezod

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

KS posted:

So I found a pack in stock today and sniffed the WAN using a SPAN port and wireshark. The Eero is sending DHCP offers and not getting replies. The offer packets don't look malformed in any way. It looks like it's Consolidated's fault.

Also got this reply:

So that's some potentially good news.

Then I did an experiment -- the packet capture was showing inbound retransmits still going to the IP address held by the old router, which isn't quite the right behavior. I powered down the ONT completely (have to remove the battery too) and then connected the Eero and booted it all up. And it WORKED. I'll be excited to hear your results.

I've seen that 6roy guy on reddit a bunch. Seems like he/she's super helpful. That post from them describing how a wired backhaul, wifi traffic can use all 3 bands, pushed me over the edge to buy eero in the first place.

Are you posting on the eero forums? I've seen someone post exactly what you mentioned by powering down the ONT and taking the regular router out, then plugging the eero gateway in thing over there. I'll have to give it a shot in a few days. Got too many people relying on the internet at my house, unfortunately. Thanks for checking this out though!

edit: Just read through the whole reddit thread and at the bottom of the post you linked to is:

quote:

We'll probably try to work around this broken behaviour at some point, but this is only affecting a very few users, and we have bigger issues to work through, so it may be a while.

So I'm not hopeful for an eero fix anytime soon. Bummer.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Aug 31, 2020

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Deviant posted:

return it and rebuy it?

Contrary to popular belief, Amazon does not have free returns and does not do price matching. They're a pretty lovely retailer all things considered.

(They will do free returns if the item was defective however, so if you just wanna mark everything as defective...)

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Are you posting on the eero forums?

Yup, that's me. Day 2 of connection direct from Consolidated to Eero without issues, but two others have said it didn't work for them, so :shrug:

Incessant Excess posted:

To do this, you'd turn of wireless on the R7000 and put the mesh system in bridge mode. I can't think of any major downsides. Just need to check support. Quick google says Amplifi, Eero and Orbi support this and Google Wifi does not.

KS fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Aug 31, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Hmm, odd, I never put eero in bridge mode that I know of, and it works great behind my TP-Link router.