Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

tk posted:

Just bought a house give me all your best cheapass homeowner tips.

do improvements yourself if you're comfortable. it can be rewarding while saving a lot of money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Slippery Tilde

tk posted:

buy a good caulk gun

research what kindsa caulks you need for everything

e: also get a caulk scraper for removing the old stuff

H.P. Hovercraft fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Aug 29, 2020

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

tk posted:

not giving a gently caress will save you tons of money.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

President Beep posted:

do improvements yourself if you're comfortable. it can be rewarding while saving a lot of money.

also don't do anything involving wiring electrical things unless you legitimately know what you're doing, and not just watching someone do it on youtube. same with plumbing or anything involving roofing

insulation and good windows /newer heating and cooling will save money in the long run, as well as energy

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Slippery Tilde
oh yeah also your air conditioner probably needs to be tuned up/professionally cleaned

and get someone to specifically inspect your roof unless it was replaced less than like 5 years ago

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Broken Machine posted:

also don't do anything involving wiring electrical things unless you legitimately know what you're doing, and not just watching someone do it on youtube. same with plumbing or anything involving roofing

wow check out this shill for Big Building Code.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

buy a good caulk gun

This

Caulk makes everything look a shitload better.

Caulk where your cabinets meet the wall

caulk where your trim attaches

caulk the base of your shitter and sink

cauik everything

Apr 7, 2003

Broken Machine posted:

I put a ceiling fan in my bedroom but my dad was an electrician so I'm good

Apr 7, 2003

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

President Beep posted:

wow check out this shill for Big Building Code.

if you want to screw up and electrocute yourself or have eau de toilette water all over, good luck have fun. roofing though i avoid because it is stupid dangerous

Apr 7, 2003

Broken Machine posted:

if you want to screw up and electrocute yourself or have eau de toilette water all over, good luck have fun. roofing though i avoid because it is stupid dangerous

I pay plumbers to do the water poo poo

I know my limits and I have a plumber who does amazing work.

Bends little steel tubes instead of using flex tubing

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Bad plumbers are covered in poo poo, bad electricians end up :byoscience:.

Seriously, the electrician boards are full of :gop: stories about electrical engineers doing their own wiring then getting :byoscience:'ed.

:shrug:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

tk posted:

don't let your savings account fall below 30% of the home's value because insurance companies can and will gently caress you at every turn. i speak from experience. dont get ruined!

Apr 7, 2003

Schadenboner posted:

Bad plumbers are covered in poo poo, bad electricians end up :byoscience:.

Seriously, the electrician boards are full of :gop: stories about electrical engineers doing their own wiring then getting :byoscience:'ed.

:shrug:

I gotta find the picture I posted, but when I opened up my ceiling to get the fan brace in there was knob and tube up there and the electrical wire was run out of the junction box (which was nailed to a joist) to the tube ceramic post lol

My house is all plaster except the bathroom and our bedroom, which were redone partially in drywall. I fuckin hate drywall, you can tell which is which just by looking at the paint finish. They pulled the lathe off too, which sucks. Lathe really helps reinforce the walls.

Apr 7, 2003

When I ran cat6 to my 'office' (dork chamber) I found that the original baseboards + plaster walls are still there, a previous owner just put furring strips on the plaster at the studs and put a brand new wall + baseboard over top lol

Apr 7, 2003

I love my dumbass Frankenstein house

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

When I ran cat6 to my 'office' (dork chamber) I found that the original baseboards + plaster walls are still there, a previous owner just put furring strips on the plaster at the studs and put a brand new wall + baseboard over top lol

My house has a roof in the attic under my real roof :downs:

Apr 7, 2003

amazing

my house and my neighbor's house are identical. The neighbor has a hatch to the under-roof area in their attic. I don't. I have no idea what's going on up there.

Both houses are hipped pyramidal roofs.

Apr 7, 2003

My house is dumb and irritating as poo poo but I still love it.

Only $745 a month!

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

President Beep posted:

I’m not comfortable with poo poo but don’t mind trying a few times until I am.

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

buy a good caulk gun

Will do some caulk research.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Where should I go to today. I've already spent enough hours walking through parks alone but I don't know what else there is.

Apr 7, 2003

Methanar posted:

Where should I go to today. I've already spent enough hours walking through parks alone but I don't know what else there is.

you should go to the forums and post. Keep up the good work!

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Methanar posted:

go drive go karts.

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

go windsurfing. looks fuckin fun as hell

I'm supposed to be packing for a move but maybe I'll go windsurfing instead

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Watch Deep Space 9, OP.

Fatal Error
Feb 13, 2013

by sebmojo
i rode my bike today. i need to ride it more because i cant stop eating garbage.

Apr 7, 2003

Fatal Error posted:

i rode my bike today. i need to ride it more because i cant stop eating garbage.

ABR

Always Be Riding

We did 65 miles a few weeks ago with one stop in the middle of the trip

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Slippery Tilde
basically you want silicone caulk for everything unless you're sealing like wood or something

i like the GE advanced silicone caulk

Apr 7, 2003

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

basically you want silicone caulk for everything unless you're sealing like wood or something

i like the GE advanced silicone caulk

I fuckin love caulk!

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

i love riding my bicycle but i also love being depressed and unable to leave the house or even put shoes on :unsmith:

life finds a way

Apr 7, 2003

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

i love riding my bicycle but i also love being depressed and unable to leave the house or even put shoes on :unsmith:

life finds a way

My bicycle is a depression cure

Getting on it fixes my brain problems and makes me happy.

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

tk posted:

put up some wall words, op

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

My bicycle is a depression cure

Getting on it fixes my brain problems and makes me happy.

sounds nice

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Slippery Tilde

Glorgnole posted:

put up some wall words, op

in this house we slap our nuts

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i took a walk and got overpriced coffee. might go buy a motorcycle helmet. polished a pair of shoes to sell. my office sent me a "certificate of appreciation" which i think is not the alleged bonus award that may be coming since the enclosed letter is as generic "hey thanks for doing your job!" as can be. guess i'll find out next week.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
man i been wanting to get a new helmet myself. i like my old one and its fine i just want a white helmet with gold visor

Apr 7, 2003

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

in this house we slap our nuts

Love Fartly

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

man i been wanting to get a new helmet myself. i like my old one and its fine i just want a white helmet with gold visor

i don't have a bike yet, but even for the tiny thing i'm probably getting, i need something. hopefully i can find something that's just a solid color or at least a simple design and not something that looks like it belongs on a can of an energy drink

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
good on you. you can get subdued stuff

this is my current one.

also you do not care about DOT certification, it means nothing, look for Snell certification. if it doesn't have that you do not buy it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

good on you. you can get subdued stuff

this is my current one.

also you do not care about DOT certification, it means nothing, look for Snell certification. if it doesn't have that you do not buy it.
yeah, this isn't my first time around, i've just been off two wheels for several years. i'm probably getting a super cub to bop around town and probably commute on if i start going back into the office. i just got rid of all my gear awhile ago, i think, other than a pair of boots and maybe some gloves i have somewhere? but i definitely tossed the helmets before the last time i moved. i'm hoping the cycle gear store has some scorpion helmets in stock since those at least used to fit me well and were snell and ece certified.