Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008
Don't forget the heat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

Basticle posted:

what am I looking at here

the choose cone in indycar

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

WindyMan posted:

the choose cone in indycar

Don't the trucks race there this weekend?

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

bennyfactor posted:

Don't forget the heat

Hmmm just saw an instagram ad for that hot sauce for the first time today...

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

big nipples big life posted:

Don't the trucks race there this weekend?

yep, that would explain it.

also for anyone that is looking for more racing, apparently the RedBull TV website/app will have Super Formula coverage live. Not sure if they'll have on-demand versions too, but it's more speedy open-wheelers that aren't Formula 1 :v:

[edit] vvvvv crucially for me, Red Bull is advertising I can watch it free in Japan, which I can't really do with The Race on YouTube.

harperdc fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Aug 29, 2020

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos

harperdc posted:

yep, that would explain it.

also for anyone that is looking for more racing, apparently the RedBull TV website/app will have Super Formula coverage live. Not sure if they'll have on-demand versions too, but it's more speedy open-wheelers that aren't Formula 1 :v:

The Race is going to be live streaming it on YouTube, too, so VODs should be available there, either way. Same guys that do Super GT.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Willy P pulling 200mph into T1 :stare:

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
lol

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Scott Dixon. So consistent. So boring.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

https://twitter.com/fckeveryword/status/1300168917168652289

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
The best part of race 2 at Gateway was when they did a "First Responders" parade which was 95% cops from Missouri and Illinois with like two ambulances in the back. Everyone around us was cheering for them, so when they came by the start/finish line I put my hands up and yelled "Don't Shoot!" Anyway, I'll have a three piece chicken tenders with a biscuit.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 15 days!)

I had an idea to make this in the discord and now I'm setting it free for someone to use it as an av

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

1) why
2) please do not give lowtax money
3) and i say this as someone still rocking the milk gimp, WHY

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

That Braden Eves crash in Indy Pro 2000! I don't think I've seen a flip on the road course before, let alone int the middle of the Road to Indy ladder.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

that was a bizarre crash. like, he touched his left front into the right rear of the guy in front, spun, and then his left rear wheel came off which sent him into the air? what? i don't understand.

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Sep 4, 2020

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

They said he was reporting a vibration for at least half the lap prior, hard to tell with the camera work but I didn't think he made contact elsewhere, though he and Petrov got close at turn 1 at some point. A mechanical failure maybe? Slight damage that got worse over time? No idea.

Edit: Reported right rear vibration, left rear came off. Even more ???

Reynold fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Sep 4, 2020

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
dude almost died

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Vasukhani posted:

dude almost died

He put out a video the other day from his hospital bed while wearing a neck brace. Dude fractured his neck in a few places and his right eye socket, definitely out for the season at least. I still don't get what caused the wreck, but I hope they throw halos on these RTI cars for next year. I thought the halo/aeroscreen looked kinda bad and fundamentally altered the "classic look" of open wheel cars when they were first being introduced, but at this point a halo is practically invisible to me and I'd rather move forward with safety than not if it can keep up and coming drivers from experiencing life-altering injuries.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

https://racer.com/2020/09/09/nbc-sets-balance-of-2020-indycar-telecast-schedule/

Add USA Network to the list of places open wheel has been on TV. Will never top SpikeTV.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Jimmy Johnson is looking to do a two year deal with Ganassi for road and street courses.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

There is an IndyCar race today, it is gonna start soon, there is a stream in the discord. ok cya!

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

>turns on race
>marco last second to last

:hmmyes:

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

like, this HAS to be marco's last season, right

he's always been poo poo but oh my god he fuckin sucks so much rear end this year even for him

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

he co owns the car and his sponsor supposedly did a 5 year deal in 2018. guess we will see.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

lol remember when he got the pole at Indy and everyone here liked Marco for a week

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

it's been five fuckin years since he even got a podium finish lmao just leave the sport in shame you fuckin hack

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

The last thing I remember Marco doing is surprising everyone with a pole position at Detroit in 2018. This Indy 500 pole is likely the high water mark for him. Six poles (?) and two wins in his whole Indycar career, spanning 15 years. And it's been a decade since that last win. I've never been a fan, but I can see how *~*tHe AnDrEtTi nAmE*~* sometimes pulls people in to cheer for him when he makes a few good moves. I think his time is done though, and would love to see someone else get a shot in that ride rather than watching Marco spend another decade floundering at the tail end of the points standings. Make way for Kirkwood in 2022 imo.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Guys I think this colton guy is pretty good

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Reynold posted:

The last thing I remember Marco doing is surprising everyone with a pole position at Detroit in 2018. This Indy 500 pole is likely the high water mark for him. Six poles (?) and two wins in his whole Indycar career, spanning 15 years. And it's been a decade since that last win. I've never been a fan, but I can see how *~*tHe AnDrEtTi nAmE*~* sometimes pulls people in to cheer for him when he makes a few good moves. I think his time is done though, and would love to see someone else get a shot in that ride rather than watching Marco spend another decade floundering at the tail end of the points standings. Make way for Kirkwood in 2022 imo.

the andretti name makes me hate him even more because gently caress blatant nepotism

also really loving that andretti racing got a podium sweep, meanwhile marco is in loving 20th lmao

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Sep 14, 2020

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:
Marco is really bad when you realize he's had access to equipment his whole entire life to develop race craft and just... didn't.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

i like marco and hope he races forever cause he adds a car to the grid if nothing else. he at least runs ok sometimes, lest we forget some of the backmarkers of years past (Duno/Roth/Boss/Dracone/Vitolo)

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Wish we could get someone a little better in Kellett's seat tho.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
Who comes closest to Marco's career stats?

Marco:

quote:

3 Indy Lights wins

2 Indycar wins, 6 poles, 20 podiums
in 15 seasons/236 races

Indy 500s
1 pole, 2nd and three 3rds

Alex Tagliani:

quote:

6 Atlantics wins

1 Indycar win, 8 poles, 14 podiums
in 17 seasons/204 races

Indy 500s
1 pole, best finish 10th, last to leading 11 laps in 2016

A very good driver that scraped together good results with above-average racing teams. Compare to Marco who has always been on a top racing team, or at worst the best B-tier equipment at worst in AA's off years. So maybe not that far off?

Can anyone think of another driver who has a similar career arc to Marco Andretti? Because we're not sitting here poo-pooing on someone like Tagliani's career even though he has similar results.

Maybe the Andretti curse is just having the same name as your father and grandfather and being in the unfortunate position of only being a decent driver instead of a good or great one.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Rahal before 2015 would've probably been a decent comparison.

Cogan is another guy I thought of. Multiple years at Patrick / Penske / etc yielded 1 win, 7 podiums, and 2 poles. Also numerous hilarious chokejobs at Indy, although '82 may not have been his fault.

Servia's been around forever with 1 (kind of gifted) win, but has usually been on mediocre teams. Did very well on good teams when he replaced Junqueira at NH and his season with Forsythe.

hunnert car pileup fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Sep 15, 2020

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

WindyMan posted:

Maybe the Andretti curse is just having the same name as your father and grandfather and being in the unfortunate position of only being a decent driver instead of a good or great one.

a decent driver doesn't finish in fuckin 20th place while his three teammates sweep the podium lmao marco sucks poo poo through a straw and it's blatantly obvious at this point that his very limited success earlier in his career was due to a combination of andretti autosport being at a relative high point and the indycar field not being as talented in general as it is today, i mean he comes from the era of buddy rice and tomas schekter.

like, he's literally last place in the standings out of all full-time drivers. even if maybe at one point he arguably had some degree of talent, that's far the gently caress in the past.

i also extremely disagree that tagliani is a good comparison, the best team he drove for in indycar was schmitd, who didn't even win a race until 2013. marco meanwhile has, for his entire career, driven for a championship-calibre team, the only way he could possibly have it better was if he drove for ganassi or penske. he's taken that golden opportunity and done so well with it that his last win was in 2011 and his last podium was in 2015. maybe charlie kimball would be a better comparison, except at least kimball has always given off the impression that he's a genuinely nice, if not very talented, dude, whereas marco has always come off as every bit an entitled whiny brat as danica patrick.

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Sep 15, 2020

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Drivers like Graham Rahal and James Hinchcliffe, who have a half dozen wins each in the series over their careers, are commonly considered to be journeymen, and no better. Comparatively, Marco's been in top equipment his whole career and hasn't managed to match their success. I would argue that Marco has shown flashes of speed or skill only a handful of times in his 14 years. This is a driver who has had more time and opportunity than most ever do to learn and grow in the sport with one of the best teams around him the entire time. The end result? A decade long dry spell.

It seems like so many drivers in Indycar (or other top level series for that matter) only get a year or two to prove themselves, and if they don't pull off something great in that time, they get kicked to the curb before they really even have the chance to learn. Young drivers trying to make a name for themselves in a bad car are screwed from the start, and even veterans who are still capable of championship contention and race wins get led off behind the shed to IMSA or whatever at a certain point. Marco sucks because he has had everything in the world going for him and he never got good. It's a horrible waste of that seat.

willwc
Jan 1, 2006

Who's got the ball?
Yo shawty, it's the B-back

WindyMan posted:

Can anyone think of another driver who has a similar career arc to Marco Andretti? Because we're not sitting here poo-pooing on someone like Tagliani's career even though he has similar results.

I think he and Charlie Kimball have quite similar trajectories. If you compare their respective runs in the DW-12 era, you get:
  • Kimball with one win, 6 podiums, one 3rd place finish at Indy, two top-10 points finishes (best: 9th)
  • Andretti with zero wins, 7 podiums, one 3rd place finish at Indy, four top-10 points finishes (best: 5th)
Marco's done a bit better points-wise (although his fifth place finish in 2013 is an outlier compared to the rest of his career), and did win in 2011 which was semi-arbitrarily cut from the endpoints I chose, but otherwise their results for the past decade have been eerily similar. Kimball's spent the past three seasons bouncing between lesser teams, but he did have a seven-year run at Ganassi where he had access to high-quality equipment as well. That said, it's hard to imagine his career in Indycar lasting another five years to match the length of Marco's even though he does seem to be able to bring sponsorship money with him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

vitor fuckin meira had a higher average finish in his indycar career than marco andretti has had lmfao