Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Would this work on an Android phone such as a Huawei, using a USB C to micro adaptor?

And would it have enough oomph to drive Akg K72s?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

shortspecialbus posted:

That one google engineer who bought like every Amazon cable and reviewed them

Link?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Moo the cow posted:

Would this work on an Android phone such as a Huawei, using a USB C to micro adaptor?

The port would have to conform to the USB-C Audio spec, so probably not. Even the majority of Huawei phones that have USB-C ports don't conform to the USB-C Audio spec.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Not hard to find. Just google "google engineer tests usb-c cables" (without the quotes) and you'll get loads. He fried a chromebook with an exceptionally bad one.

https://www.eteknix.com/google-engineer-goes-war-bad-usb-type-c-cables/ for example.

The cables on Amazon have been way more consistent after that. There are still of course bad ones, but you kind of have to go out of your way to find them and just grabbing the popular inexpensive ones off the first page of results will get you a perfectly capable cable.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Seems a good resource, I was looking through Amazon for cables not long ago though and still saw a whooooole lot that looked garbage.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

qirex posted:

Yeah to me the shortest simplest signal path seems like it would be best but you have to understand the high end audio industry exists to sell the most stuff, not necessarily the best sounding stuff. You can only sell one $500 power cable if the customer buys a NAD M33 instead of separate steaming box, DAC, preamp and amp at which point you're selling 4 power cables plus interconnects.

Man, gently caress it — I'm just going to build my own balanced pre-amp / source selector / remote-controlled volume control thing. The hardest part will be the enclosure.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Moo the cow posted:

And would it have enough oomph to drive Akg K72s?

It works on my android phones that have usb-c just fine, but an adapter might change things. I used one as a desktop dac for a while through a usb-a adapter and that worked, so who knows?

It definitely does not have enough oomph for anything but iems and other sensitive headphones, but it's really good for those. If it could put out a proper 2 volt line level i'd use it for everything. I keep one in my laptop bag to bypass the dogshit noisy rear end lenovo headphone port. It's 8 bucks! It's the only good cheap thing that apple makes!

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

movax posted:

Man, gently caress it — I'm just going to build my own balanced pre-amp / source selector / remote-controlled volume control thing. The hardest part will be the enclosure.

make sure to glue a lead wheel weight in there, call it a "crystalline lead ground isolation chamber" and start your prices at 8k

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

make sure to glue a lead wheel weight in there, call it a "crystalline lead ground isolation chamber" and start your prices at 8k

poo poo man I'm almost tempted to open-source the Gerbers and at best just try to get some group buy action / interest to get some price breaks at Digi-Key / an assembly house. I almost want the hatred from people who've bought 10x more expensive gear.

I think all I want is a box to send a balanced input to either destination A or B, and then a volume control on at least one of the channels. And maybe make the volume control remote-able.

e: I kind of want Topping to build that product for me

movax fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Aug 26, 2020

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
There are so many cool audio ICs now. I was looking at building an 8 channel ADAT dac at one point for a project but didn't get much further than just reading datasheets. They do absolutely everything for you if you just give them a clock.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

TTerrible posted:

There are so many cool audio ICs now. I was looking at building an 8 channel ADAT dac at one point for a project but didn't get much further than just reading datasheets. They do absolutely everything for you if you just give them a clock.

And therein lies the trap of buying some insanely expensive clock IC to convince audiophiles that your clocks are so much better.

Or use a clock gen IC that people use for PCIe REFCLK or CK505 generators for you know, CPUs for pennies on the dollar because they're cheap / ubiquitous and something that's generally good enough for running a 8 GT/s SerDes probably is good enough for some 48 kHz audio action.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Probably a market for basic IO boxes in the style of Dangerous Music but without the pricetag. I'd get a clone of a CONVERT-2 from Crowd Supply without much thought.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

It works on my android phones that have usb-c just fine, but an adapter might change things. I used one as a desktop dac for a while through a usb-a adapter and that worked, so who knows?

The Apple dongle won't work on a lot of Huawei phones as they don't properly support USB-C Audio.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

It definitely does not have enough oomph for anything but iems and other sensitive headphones, but it's really good for those. If it could put out a proper 2 volt line level i'd use it for everything. I keep one in my laptop bag to bypass the dogshit noisy rear end lenovo headphone port. It's 8 bucks! It's the only good cheap thing that apple makes!

It doesn't have a very high output level if I plug into my Android phone, but plugged into my PC, there's plenty of power to drive my headphones (AKG K371).

I figure it's the mandatory output limiting put in mobile devices to protect our hearing.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

movax posted:

And therein lies the trap of buying some insanely expensive clock IC to convince audiophiles that your clocks are so much better.

Or use a clock gen IC that people use for PCIe REFCLK or CK505 generators for you know, CPUs for pennies on the dollar because they're cheap / ubiquitous and something that's generally good enough for running a 8 GT/s SerDes probably is good enough for some 48 kHz audio action.

Have you ever checked out those SiTime MEMS oscillators? They use dual MEMS resonators mounted on a CMOS IC with a PLL and optional digital control interface to program the PLL (such as i2c). Insanely good jitter specs (typically sub-picosecond iirc).

Of course these are merely used in pedestrian applications like high speed long distance optical network links, and even a very fancy SiTime oscillator is just a boring drab 5mmx3.2mm QFN which costs less than $20 ea in small quantities through digikey, so clearly they're not good enough for high end audio

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
is there a non-audiophile DIY audio gear thread? I think I saw an electronics thread buried in DIY or something.

Wonder how cheap you could make a linear timecode clock that isn't megabucks. :haw:

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

TTerrible posted:

is there a non-audiophile DIY audio gear thread? I think I saw an electronics thread buried in DIY or something.

Wonder how cheap you could make a linear timecode clock that isn't megabucks. :haw:

If it isn’t megabucks or esoteric it has no place in the market.

I’ve watched a well respected - but also very much up his own arse - speaker designer use an atomic clock to drive his DAC at a demo.

https://en.antelopeaudio.com/products/audiophile-10m/

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Is it the thread where people explain to me how the "trigger" jacks in the back of my amp function ?

This time I bought an amp instead of fishing broken poo poo from the sidewalk and it's got two of those. Apparently it can turn on/off extra stuff which is cool but googling around doesn't tell me much of anything about voltage or wiring.

Is it sending a single pulse when turning on, then another when going off, or just goes high when it's on ?
Surely I can buy something that acts as a relay, as opposed to hacking together a wildly incompetent circuit that will eventually cause a fire.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

For an amp, I'd expect the trigger jacks to primarily input and passthrough. Normally, with separates, I see the preamp being used to send a trigger signal to the power amp, so that you can control both with the preamp's remote, and also let the preamp work through its start process (including any startup thumps) before starting the power amp.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Neurophonic posted:

If it isn’t megabucks or esoteric it has no place in the market.

I’ve watched a well respected - but also very much up his own arse - speaker designer use an atomic clock to drive his DAC at a demo.

https://en.antelopeaudio.com/products/audiophile-10m/

I mean, in the context of our conversation about just building basic poo poo without stupid overspecced components. I know a few places that would kill for a cheap LTC clock with xlr in and out they could chain around control.

EDIT: Post the amp model.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Someone should build a 100W class D amp using a big audiophile inductor as the case

movax
Aug 30, 2008

unpacked robinhood posted:

Is it the thread where people explain to me how the "trigger" jacks in the back of my amp function ?

This time I bought an amp instead of fishing broken poo poo from the sidewalk and it's got two of those. Apparently it can turn on/off extra stuff which is cool but googling around doesn't tell me much of anything about voltage or wiring.

Is it sending a single pulse when turning on, then another when going off, or just goes high when it's on ?
Surely I can buy something that acts as a relay, as opposed to hacking together a wildly incompetent circuit that will eventually cause a fire.

IIRC these are mostly 12 V triggers, ~100 mA, but of course check your specific thing. I assume they're used to drive latching relays or something like that.

taqueso posted:

Someone should build a 100W class D amp using a big audiophile inductor as the case

Given the size of the USB-C dongle from Apple, you could probably fit an entire decent DAC solution inside a single XLR cable housing or something.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Nobody outrules the Marquise de Cat!
So if I were to get this: https://www.amazon.ca/Electop-USB-3...rd_i=3341292011

and this: https://www.apple.com/ca/shop/product/MU7E2AM/A/usb-c-to-35mm-headphone-jack-adapter

That would be a good DAC for my PC?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
The apple dong has some kind of problem with low volume on some computers. Hard to say.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
It's just not very powerful, its max output is around half of what you would expect from a normal line level source. The volume you do get is very clean though, so if you have IEMs or other sensitive headphones (which is the vast majority of them) it's great. Or, you could run it to an amplifier, which would then run at half mast so to speak. Might not matter to you.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

movax posted:

IIRC these are mostly 12 V triggers, ~100 mA, but of course check your specific thing. I assume they're used to drive latching relays or something like that.

Is there a standard somewhere ? Asking because there's 0 info with the amp except "turns on compatible devices" or something similar.

Also someone talk me out out getting a refurb minidisc deck because i've no use for it other than it looks cool.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
When the device is on, the trigger signal is a constant 12v ~100mA.

This low current signal can be used to trigger any variety of functions and is limited really only by your imagination. You can have a trigger turn on your sub after your receiver is turned on, you can have a trigger drop a screen when a projector is on, etc. Many home theater devices have trigger inputs built in as well, which is how they're most commonly used.

It's really just a constant weak 12v current that is sent out of a TRS jack to let other things know the controlling device is on.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Aug 31, 2020

Placeholder
Sep 24, 2008
I think this fits here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TZzIqiwisY

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

$40? Of course it's a scam. Something that could actually do that should cost at least four thousand dollars.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Only tangentially related, but Izotope's RX8 audio editor uses AI based tools to work your stuff. And apparently it's really great at separating elements on mixed tracks. I'm currently downloading a demo, if it works, oh yeah, I have plenty of tracks I'd prefer to own as instrumentals.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Combat Pretzel posted:

I have plenty of tracks I'd prefer to own as instrumentalskaraoke.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
If the algorithm works well enough, it ought to sound like an instrumental version. But I messed around with it earlier, yea, karaoke I guess.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Just judging from the preview image, yes, I am certain it is a scam without even knowing what it claims to do.

Also the thread we're posting in is a clue but I noticed that after making my decision.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

This came across my Twitter feed and it's amazing.
https://twitter.com/spacetwinks/status/1306283432562118661

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://twitter.com/brainnest/status/1306286184600043525?s=19

:popeye:

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I never considered using cured meat as cabling before, it’s so obvious!

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
Is that jamon iberico?

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

EL BROMANCE posted:

I never considered using cured meat as cabling before, it’s so obvious!

Skinned and cured Anaconda shipped direct from the Amazon Rainforest is probably cheaper than that speaker cable.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Pfft. No cable risers, not a real audiophile setup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Is that jamon iberico?

It probably costs the same per pound.

I was running mortadella but I felt like it recessed the mids so I switched to Genoa salami.