Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Hey yall King Buffalo albums are free on Bandcamp right now! I'm still throwing them a donation for their whole discography though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Can’t buy or download with an iPhone. I just download on my computer and sync my phone up every now and then.

Thanks, picked up a couple of em.

Any idea why Bandcamp doesn’t allow downloads to iPhones? They say “Unfortunately, iPhones do not support direct downloading of music” but it works for Spotify so it seems like more of a Bandcamp issue.

Snowy fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Aug 27, 2020

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Snowy posted:

Thanks, picked up a couple of em.

Any idea why Bandcamp doesn’t allow downloads to iPhones? They say “Unfortunately, iPhones do not support direct downloading of music” but it works for Spotify so it seems like more of a Bandcamp issue.

Are you sure it's not just buying albums in the iOS app?

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I’m not sure what you mean but you can’t download music in the app for offline listening. I don’t sync any music with my computer so that’s kind of annoying when they act as if it’s impossible.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Can’t buy or download with an iPhone. I just download on my computer and sync my phone up every now and then.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Aug 27, 2020

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

It’s the download part I find annoying since it’s easy enough to buy from a browser.

I repeat myself, but “Unfortunately, iPhones do not support direct downloading of music” isn’t true if I can do exactly that in the Spotify app. I end up working in a lot of places without reception so it would be nice to be able to download whenever I want, not just by syncing to a computer.

I’m just sick of their lies, is all :)

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Snowy posted:

It’s the download part I find annoying since it’s easy enough to buy from a browser.

I repeat myself, but “Unfortunately, iPhones do not support direct downloading of music” isn’t true if I can do exactly that in the Spotify app. I end up working in a lot of places without reception so it would be nice to be able to download whenever I want, not just by syncing to a computer.

I’m just sick of their lies, is all :)

Yeah, iPhones are becoming kind of a pain in the rear end to me, mostly for this reason. Do Androids or other non-Apple devices make better offline music storage and playing devices? I'm thinking of switching away from Apple next time I get a phone and this would be kind of a clincher for me. I guess one critical thing might be that my huge digital music collection is mostly only accessible through an iMac for the foreseeable future.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Literally every singe other iOS app I've used lets you download music. Apple Music, Spotify, Google Music (before it got killed), DatPiff... Bandcamp is the outlier.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->

Literally every singe other iOS app I've used lets you download music. Apple Music, Spotify, Google Music (before it got killed), DatPiff... Bandcamp is the outlier.

Weird. They are certainly a marketplace and act like one... this interview is really good https://www.marketplace.org/2016/12/21/bandcamp-ceo-says-he-sees-music-art-not-commodity/

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

You could buy the album on Bandcamp to pay the artist and then stream it on spotify, and use the download function in spotify to cache for offline listening.

I dont see what the big deal is, personally. its a bandcamp failure, not an iOS one.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
You can also get a free YouTube music account and upload all your Bandcamp purchases there, which is what I do. Then you can listen to them online or sync to your device for offline listening.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
And for for stuff that's not on Spotify or BandCamp, you can use Plex to stream your digital music library from your computer to your phone. Not a solution if your data cap is low, though.

Darthemed fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Aug 28, 2020

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

Hey yall King Buffalo albums are free on Bandcamp right now! I'm still throwing them a donation for their whole discography though.

I bought their first 3 albums for $1 each, and paid $1.20 for the last one.

Am I more stoned than I think, or does the vocalist sound a lot like Hot Dad?

im_sorry fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Aug 28, 2020

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

trem_two posted:

You can also get a free YouTube music account and upload all your Bandcamp purchases there, which is what I do. Then you can listen to them online or sync to your device for offline listening.

loving RIP Google Music, the YTM interface for uploads is so lovely it finally pushed me into using Plex (it's dumb it took me so long since I already host my own Plex movie/TV server)

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I guess what I’d really like is a simpler way to have music on my phone than 1.) more apps and 2.) syncing my whole drat phone when I just want to change my music library up. Are there any phones with a simple drag and drop file transfer for mp3s? I’ve only got so much storage space and I change my music out a bunch.
I had this great MP3 player back in the day that worked this way and I loved it. Just like an external usb drive, no software, no syncing.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
Also switching away from GPM, and gently caress YoutTube Music. You literally have to pay for the premium service to CAST MUSIC OVER WIFI.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

im_sorry posted:

I bought their first 3 albums for $1 each, and paid $1.20 for the last one.

Lol I saw on Facebook some guy said he paid $6.66 for all of them and some kind of devil horns Easter egg popped up.

I stream through Bandcamp and youtube at home, and use amazon music (not premium or whatever) and iTunes or whatever it is now when I’m out of WiFi. The more I think about it, what I really just can’t deal with is syncing my phone through the computer because I don’t like Macs.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Aug 28, 2020

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I guess what I’d really like is a simpler way to have music on my phone than 1.) more apps and 2.) syncing my whole drat phone when I just want to change my music library up. Are there any phones with a simple drag and drop file transfer for mp3s? I’ve only got so much storage space and I change my music out a bunch.
I had this great MP3 player back in the day that worked this way and I loved it. Just like an external usb drive, no software, no syncing.

Most Android phones will let you do this, just gotta enable USB file transfer. My current phone doesn't have an SD slot so I'm limited to 16GB, but Poweramp is the app I use to play MP3s, it's really nice and the full version is like $4.

spaced ninja
Apr 10, 2009

Toilet Rascal
Mastodon have a song on the Bill and Ted 3 soundtrack.

https://youtu.be/pyPUg20xWF0

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Turtle Skulls new album 'Monoliths' is out today, for fee-free-friday on bandcamp. also on streaming.

they describe themselves as 'flower doom' and I agree. bit shoe-gazey with some heavier parts thrown in, fuzzy guitars and writhing synths.

I really like how some of the elements are reused and return at points on the album.

https://turtleskullmusic.bandcamp.com/album/monoliths

"Why do you ask?" is probably my favorite track.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Most Android phones will let you do this, just gotta enable USB file transfer. My current phone doesn't have an SD slot so I'm limited to 16GB, but Poweramp is the app I use to play MP3s, it's really nice and the full version is like $4.

That sounds like exactly what I want. Maybe I'll see what options there are for newer Androids with SD slots the next time my contract is up or when my limping iPhone battery finally dies.

Laserface posted:

Turtle Skulls new album 'Monoliths' is out today, for fee-free-friday on bandcamp. also on streaming.

they describe themselves as 'flower doom' and I agree. bit shoe-gazey with some heavier parts thrown in, fuzzy guitars and writhing synths.

I really like how some of the elements are reused and return at points on the album.

https://turtleskullmusic.bandcamp.com/album/monoliths

"Why do you ask?" is probably my favorite track.

This is good poo poo, right up the alley of doom gaze I've been onto lately.

Legends of the Desert split by Palehorse/Palerider and Lord Buffalo is awesome too.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Aug 28, 2020

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

You can put mp3s on an iPhone using iTunes or Apple Music without buying anything 🤔

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

This is good poo poo, right up the alley of doom gaze I've been onto lately.

Glad you like it! We have some great bands in aus and the least I can do is push them on a global forum.

I really just love out scene here now and can't wait for more gigs to start to pop up.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I like that turtle skull blotter paper poster

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

thanks for posting turtle skull, they got a really unique sound I dig a lot. I find its hard to make synths and fuzz guitars sound good together but they nail it.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Snow Cone Capone posted:

loving RIP Google Music, the YTM interface for uploads is so lovely it finally pushed me into using Plex (it's dumb it took me so long since I already host my own Plex movie/TV server)

I don't really mind the YTM interface generally and even prefer some parts of it, but it sucks SO loving BAD that they separated your uploaded library from your streamed music and made navigating the uploaded stuff such a goddman chore.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Yeaaah the deeper I get into this Turtle Skull album, the more I love it. It's like the direction I wish Temples had gone.

gently caress it's been a good couple weeks for music discovery for me, thanks mostly to y'all ITT.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Kvlt! posted:

thanks for posting turtle skull, they got a really unique sound I dig a lot. I find its hard to make synths and fuzz guitars sound good together but they nail it.

The dual vocals add something nice and haunting but also uplifting.

mpaarating
May 6, 2011

The Baddest Boi
The new Bismarck album is loving killer. I had like 3 margaritas and then ordered the limited edition LP, shipping was $35 :shrek:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiNWZjI5VJg

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

[quote="Kvlt!" post="507630469"]
[/quote

The dual vocals add something nice and haunting but also uplifting.

E: double posting thanks phone

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Hulk Krogan posted:

I don't really mind the YTM interface generally and even prefer some parts of it, but it sucks SO loving BAD that they separated your uploaded library from your streamed music and made navigating the uploaded stuff such a goddman chore.

You can't edit tags or cover art, and YTM seems to suck way more at automatically finding that stuff. You also can't do multi-album selects - once I realized it wasn't doing cover art and tags were getting hosed up, I stopped uploading halfway through, and now if I want to fix it I have to individually delete a good 400 albums one-by-one. The Android app is also way more bloated, slow, and annoying to use than the GPM app, and it has a fraction of the actual functionality of the GPM app.

I mean, it's understandable to an extent that pushing purchases off YTM would take priority over playing your own stuff, but it really feels like an extremely half-assed implementation that was rushed out the door.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Unless he's some weirdo fascist does anyone have recommendations on the best Paul Chain projects?

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

Ingmar terdman posted:

Unless he's some weirdo fascist does anyone have recommendations on the best Paul Chain projects?

The PC Translate stuff is really good. So is his album "Metropolis" that he released as "Paul Cat for Ambientalism".

Since about 2014, he's been regularly releasing entries as "Paolo Catena" in a series called Quadrimusicali. It's a lot of synth stuff, but there's some stuff in there that would fit in with SDS. The latest album in the series is #25, although #26 should be ready some time in September.

Looks like he just started a Youtube channel at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFAglvsXMAicq2zGjtP1BWg - his wife has a channel with a lot of his stuff on it at https://www.youtube.com/user/LOLASPRINT4 as well, and she often collaborates with him.

im_sorry fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Aug 29, 2020

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Ingmar terdman posted:

I don't know why you'd think Paul Chain is a fascist but anyway, of the 80s material Detaching From Satan, In the Darkness and Highway to Hell, all released under the name 'Paul Chain Violent Theatre', are good old school doom. Under his own name, King of the Dream and Life and Death are good albums too. Alkahest is an early 90s album that a lot of people like with Lee Dorrian from Cathedral doing vocals. I don't like much of the weird synth stuff he's been doing under a bunch of different names for the last 20 or so years so can't comment on that really. You should also listen to the early Death SS material since he was a big part of that band in the beginning, there's a compilation called 'the story of Death SS" that collects that stuff together in one place.

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

A human heart posted:

I don't like much of the weird synth stuff he's been doing under a bunch of different names for the last 20 or so years so can't comment on that really.

I actually like the weird synth stuff he's been doing... I have physical copies of pretty much all of it (except for the vinyl, which I don't trust to survive the trip from Pesaro, Italy). If you're into noodly synthy stuff, you might like it.

I also own this: - I'm drinking out of it right now.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

A human heart posted:

I don't know why you'd think Paul Chain is a fascist
early Death SS material

honestly this, I was just worried he could be some cult varg-like dude

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
I've never heard of Paul Chain until tonight, but I'm listening to In The Darkness now and it's extremely my poo poo.

E: this Death SS comp is incredible too

trem_two fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Aug 30, 2020

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Ingmar terdman posted:

honestly this, I was just worried he could be some cult varg-like dude

The SS in Death SS comes from Steve Sylvester, the band's frontman and one of the founding members, it's not nazi related at all. A while ago when they toured in Germany they specifically changed the name of the band for the duration of the tour to avoid any confusion.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I would buy a Death Steve Sylvester shirt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

trem_two posted:

I've never heard of Paul Chain until tonight, but I'm listening to In The Darkness now and it's extremely my poo poo.

E: this Death SS comp is incredible too

A lot of old Italian doom is cool, although quite a few of the bands only released small amounts of material. Run After To, Sacrilege, Requiem,The Black (not the swedish bm band) and Zess are some names you could look into. Black Hole was an interesting band that combined trad doom with 70s prog rock elements, which is sort of going on in some of Paul Chain's stuff anyway but here it's much more explicitly prog: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3p7Mzn_S7Gk You can hear the influence of some of this stuff in later Italian bands like Mortuary Drape and Opera IX even thought they're not really 'doom'.