Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Rust is getting its own foundation so that it won't be destroyed by Mozilla being Mozilla

https://blog.rust-lang.org/2020/08/18/laying-the-foundation-for-rusts-future.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

:chaostrump:

From the article

quote:

A Mozilla spokesperson has overnight confirmed to me that Mozilla has a new deal in place with Google. “We've recently extended the partnership, and the relationship isn't changing,” the spokesperson confirmed in a written statement.

It’s not clear whether the new deal is on the same terms as the previous agreement, but news of the extension will come as a relief to Mozilla’s remaining employees and fans of the Firefox browser.

Speculation here, but would anyone really be surprised if this went further than just a search engine hookup? Adding in a little analytics for some green probably sounds good to a restructuring company.

From the wikipedia article on the CEO:

quote:

In 2018 she received a total of $2,458,350 in compensation from Mozilla.[14] When asked about her salary she stated 'I learned that my pay was about an 80% discount to market. Meaning that competitive roles elsewhere were paying about 5 times as much. That's too big a discount to ask people and their families to commit to.'

That's some dedicated spin. When someone talks spin like this, it intensifies my speculation about privacy integrity above.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Saoshyant posted:

The hypocrisy flowing from that person's post. This is the CEO of the company blaming COVID and racism for a truckload of bad decisions. The same CEO of Mozilla Corporation and Chairwoman of Mozilla Foundation who alone earned a total compensation of $2,458,350 on a $436 million company revenue on 2018, or half a percent of the company's revenue! Her salary went up while Firefox market share went down!

This person is now firing people who did important work like MDN and Servo, firing them for her bad decisions, and is not going to even take a single pay cut. Nor will her fellow executives, like this fellow she hired (who only worked for 6 months) and earned a whooping $1.2M in 2017!

Why is no one covering this bullshit in the press? Why is there no pressure for her resignation? This ball of corruption is ruining nearly two decades of good will towards Mozilla and destroying the only remaining alternative in the browser space. At a time that Google continues to take over more and more of the free web and imposing their own standards like AMP and "HTTP" 3, this is the worst possible moment to have this poo poo go down.

She's a complete loving dickhead. In addition to your comments, with which I wholeheartedly agree, she talks about specifics then proceeds to use more corporateese to cloud her ineptitude.

She's gots to go.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
You misogynists just don't like her because she's a woman. You're always against any woman in tech. Marissa Mayer, Elizabeth Holmes, you'll find anything wrong when there is a woman in charge.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

https://i.imgur.com/3SjUzTC.gifv

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
Finding fault with a person in charge of something? Probably only happens when it's a woman, I bet. :rolleyes:

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

The Merkinman posted:

You misogynists just don't like her because she's a woman. You're always against any woman in tech. Marissa Mayer, Elizabeth Holmes, you'll find anything wrong when there is a woman in charge.

Source your quotes

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Welp, my firefox for Android finally updated and within 5 minutes destroyed years of willingness to deal with its jank.

About :config is still blocked, putting the url bar at the top where it belongs is terrible UX because the new tab drawer remains at the bottom. My top sites got nuked and only show 4 of them, not even filling the horizontal space because the icons are tiny. Also, three of them are sites I rarely used.

The only thing it's really got going for it is ublock origin. Are there any other Android browsers that support that? Edge and Samsung Internet support only adblock plus, which is better than nothing, I suppose. But I'll miss being able to block specific elements (and specific goon avatars).

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

I take it everyone's joking about the misogyny?

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I take it everyone's joking about the misogyny?

Given one of my examples was someone indicted on charges of wire fraud, I figured it was obvious.
But then again, Poe's Law. :shrug:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I thought using Elizabeth Holmes was making it too obvious what you were trying to say.

But, yeah, Poe's Law.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Didn't know who the others were, also Poe's Law is new to me :downs:

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Huh, a mere three weeks after they started rolling it out, Mozilla have officially published a real announcement and a new codename for Fenix - it's now "Firefox Daylight".

As one of the first to get it, I have a distinct "we only really care about users in the big markets" - feeling.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Computer viking posted:

Huh, a mere three weeks after they started rolling it out, Mozilla have officially published a real announcement and a new codename for Fenix - it's now "Firefox Daylight".

As one of the first to get it, I have a distinct "we only really care about users in the big markets" - feeling.

I'm currently waffling between Samsung Internet and Edge (beta) because I lost all patience with Firefox Android within about 5 minutes and confirmed that by trying to power through the bad UI, thinking it might be just muscle memory acting up.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Welp, Firefox has decided that the pinned spotify tabs does not have to be restored, unlike all the other tabs. The last time that happened I had to completely reset firefox. I'm not going to do that again, so as soon as I'm fed up enough I'm going to stop using firefox.

Good job, Mozilla

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Sereri posted:

Welp, Firefox has decided that the pinned spotify tabs does not have to be restored, unlike all the other tabs. The last time that happened I had to completely reset firefox. I'm not going to do that again, so as soon as I'm fed up enough I'm going to stop using firefox.

Good job, Mozilla

And it didn't show up in reopen closed tabs/restore last session?

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

I just got the swelling URL bar update. It now only takes a single click to select the entire URL, and a double click selects a word. It takes two clicks to place the cursor. The swelling URL bar is an amateur gimmick.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
Got the new mobile version and tabs no longer queue for later. I can't find the setting for it either. Is it gone forever or is there some way to fix this?

Lightningproof
Feb 23, 2011

Tab queue isn't in Fenix right now afaict and I'm not sure if they have plans to put it back in. Sucks because that's really the only missing feature from Fennec that I used regularly.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
This has made reading email suck so much. Time to see if there are any other options I guess. :sigh:

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Oh no there's a blue notification dot on the 3 dot menu for every site that wants you to add it to your home screen & I can't seem to use the right Google terms to see if that is fixable.

I just... The developers don't actually use this browser, do they? :psyduck:

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

effika posted:

Oh no there's a blue notification dot on the 3 dot menu for every site that wants you to add it to your home screen & I can't seem to use the right Google terms to see if that is fixable.

I just... The developers don't actually use this browser, do they? :psyduck:

If it's not in the normal options, you're hosed because they still haven't unlocked about :config (and probably never will.)

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

About:config is a concept created by someone who probably has long since retired. Every time I hit the location bar with the mouse to select all and type something, I get it wrong due to myself using the previous muscle memory of clicking it twice, and instead I select only the nearest word.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Does Facebook messenger not load for anyone else in Firefox? I just updated to 80 but it's been going on for at least a few weeks now. Cleared site data, turned off extension (except the facebook tracker protection thing) and it's still happening.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

The official explanation for about:config is that there are multiple known ways to break Fenix so badly with it that you need to wipe and reinstall to recover, and they don't want that sort of foot-shooting available in the stable browser. The secondary argument is that about:config does less now, since it only configures Geckoview, not the (android-native) UI code - unlike in fennec where gecko drew everything.

It's enabled in beta and nightly, though. (They also claim they want to add more settings in the UI to cover most of the uses people had for a:c.)

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Firefox and Mozilla in general is just a big tire fire at this point. A Mount Firestone..

I moved on from desktop Firefox years ago, but have been using the mobile Android version. I promptly reinstalled 68.0.11 or whatever after I realized how bad the new one is.

The old one just works. The new one doesn't. They booted all their devs and probably gave their CEO a big bonus/raise for good performance and new Google deal. The Google deal is what killed Mozilla, it should have never happened. Free money draws in all kinds of wrong, inept, useless money leeches and it shows.. Mozilla is like a bloated corpse on a riverbank.

The only problem is what to do now. Probably I have to configure a home server which filters the web content and route my phone's traffic through that.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

Ihmemies posted:

The Google deal is what killed Mozilla, it should have never happened. Free money draws in all kinds of wrong, inept, useless money leeches and it shows..
Mozilla has been getting money from Google for years.
How else should Mozilla pay their employees?

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Ihmemies posted:

They booted all their devs

Not really, no. The Gecko/Firefox teams themselves are untouched, though they did fire people working on the devtools, some internal tooling, and some qa/security (after merging a few overlapping groups). Not great, but very different.

They did fire the entire "new browser engine in rust" group, whatever that was called - but the grumblings I saw on twitter suggests that those people were kind of detached and didn't actually deliver that much of practical use; the rust parts that are actually in Firefox took a fair bit of reworking from the normal developers first.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

The Merkinman posted:

Mozilla has been getting money from Google for years.
How else should Mozilla pay their employees?

From the salary of their inept CEO?

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

WattsvilleBlues posted:

From the salary of their inept CEO?

Sure but how is she getting money?

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Computer viking posted:

They did fire the entire "new browser engine in rust" group, whatever that was called - but the grumblings I saw on twitter suggests that those people were kind of detached and didn't actually deliver that much of practical use; the rust parts that are actually in Firefox took a fair bit of reworking from the normal developers first.

Well now that group can go make their own browser?

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

What I don't understand is why everything has to change all the time. Do people really like/want change? The only change I remember from Chrome during 10+ years is that the tabs changed from square to rounded. Vivaldi has been out for 5+ years and I can't remember them changing anything. While Firefox....

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

Introducing Firefox Bolt, Firefox rewritten as an HTML app in a state of the art Electron package.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Ihmemies posted:

What I don't understand is why everything has to change all the time. Do people really like/want change? The only change I remember from Chrome during 10+ years is that the tabs changed from square to rounded. Vivaldi has been out for 5+ years and I can't remember them changing anything. While Firefox....

Inept management that can't convince investors of the fact that invisible improvements that fix long-standing issues are more important.

Or it's just "designers" running the show, forcing their "Grand Vision" on the masses. Probably while using Chrome themselves, instead of dogfooding.

grillster posted:

Introducing Firefox Bolt, Firefox rewritten as an HTML app in a state of the art Electron package.

Don't give them any ideas.

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

Geemer posted:

Don't give them any ideas.

The Firefox team was working on an Electron competitor for a little while. I would have enjoyed seeing it compete in that market. Seeing as I can't remember the name of the package, it must not have ever become that important. With the culling of their staff I don't see it being a massive priority either.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
The new Firefox finally got pushed to my phone, they added the option to choose between URL bar on top or on bottom to the first time setup page. I'll give it a try on bottom and see how it goes.

uBlock is working but all my other add-ons broke, though the only one I'm particularly missing is Cookie Autodelete. Their FAQ page also lists a bunch of features they plan on adding in the next three weeks, like editing saved passwords and per-site password management options.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

grillster posted:

The Firefox team was working on an Electron competitor for a little while. I would have enjoyed seeing it compete in that market. Seeing as I can't remember the name of the package, it must not have ever become that important. With the culling of their staff I don't see it being a massive priority either.
Well, the biggest part of that, SpiderMonkey, still exists and is used.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

isndl posted:

The new Firefox finally got pushed to my phone, they added the option to choose between URL bar on top or on bottom to the first time setup page. I'll give it a try on bottom and see how it goes.

uBlock is working but all my other add-ons broke, though the only one I'm particularly missing is Cookie Autodelete. Their FAQ page also lists a bunch of features they plan on adding in the next three weeks, like editing saved passwords and per-site password management options.

I'd strongly recommend using a third party password manager, such as Bitwarden, instead.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I've found that using a third-party password keeper that provides interaction-required integration (ie. you need to allow a site to read the password from the database every single time), such as keepassxc and keepassxc-browser, works well for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I noticed on the mobile Firefox, you can long press the square thing with the number of tabs in it, and you get a menu with open new tab and close tab in it. This helps if you want the tab bar on top, because you can use the tab management view way less (which has things on the bottom of the screen that can't be moved up).

I'm still tapping the three dot menu a lot though, because that used to have open new tab in it.

Other than that, the new version works ok for me.

I'm using an add-on called user-agent switcher and manager to pretend I'm on a desktop browser, which for the sites I need is successful in always forcing a request for the desktop site. This heavily depends on how the site detects what to do though. Anyway, had to do this in the old version as well, so.