Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
All I want out of that series is the impression that the person who made it actually played the games, instead of just looking at wikipedia articles and youtube footage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

DanielCross posted:

Who decided "New Raccoon City" was a good idea? That feels like if Ukraine named a new city "New Chernobyl."
I mean, I can kind of see the reasoning. If you're the type of person who thinks like that, then there can be an uplifting message of not letting catastrophe keep you down and keeping the memory of your old home alive in doing something like that.

Of course, on the hand, nobody really survived Raccoon City, so...

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

It’s way cheaper to film in abandoned warehouses and quarries.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Kibayasu posted:

It’s way cheaper to film in abandoned warehouses and quarries.
Seems like special effects for a zombie murder mystery show would be cheaper though. On the other hand, maybe it’s like the walking dead apparently is and there are barely any monsters even in the post-apocalypse, the bestcheapest of both worlds.

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
Neo Raccoon City

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Fingerless Gloves posted:

Neo Raccoon City

“Neo” is for cities in cyberpunk future dystopias. Not zombie apocalypses.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

"New Raccoon City" makes perfect sense for a Capcom-associated project. They rebuilt Willamette in the Dead Rising games.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Resident Evil has been and always will be pants on head stupid and cheesy.

This still sounds like poo poo though.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I just remembered I haven't watched the Witcher yet

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
The story lines and continuity of the RE series have always been the dumbest and least interesting thing about the games.

I couldn't really tell you the first loving thing about how all these games connect and don't care.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Gnoman posted:

"New Raccoon City" makes perfect sense for a Capcom-associated project. They rebuilt Willamette in the Dead Rising games.

Which one did they do that in? 3 and 4? I didn’t play them since they looked poo poo. Especially 4.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

4 takes place in the rebuilt Willamette - which is almost immediately overrun by zombies.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
I'm kind of surprised after 4/5 they didn't just lean more into Lovecraft horrors since they were parasitic based. I barely remember any plot beats to 6 other than everything has turned to poo poo but it felt mostly science or regular zombie-based. 7 was bioweapon inspired again except with mold but also had psychic ghost poo poo, 8 is apparently full of werewolves or something.

None of Resident Evil's story is going to make sense and there's so many soft reboots so gently caress it, give me dinosaurs, eldritch horrors, and ghosts if Dino Crisis, Silent Hill and Fatal Frame aren't going to continue making games

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Lovecraft didn't really write much of anything about parasites, so I'm not sure where they could really go with that. The only real overlap I can really see there is the tentacles.

If Resident Evil as a series has an overarching theme, it's "bad people make bioweapons that turn people into monsters," and I'd say they've been sticking to that very closely. Werewolves don't necessarily fall outside of that pattern, it's not like Bloodborne isn't an entire game about a plague through contact with infected blood turning people into wolf creatures.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

RealFoxy posted:

if Dino Crisis, Silent Hill and Fatal Frame aren't going to continue making games

I really wish Konami would just sell the goddam Silent Hill license. Nothing but pachinko machines since Silent Hills got cancelled. Clearly there's a market for remakes, I actually heard a rumour the PS5 stream would reveal a new game and thought the VIII trailer was it.... While I'm happy it looks good, I was still angry. Even had a drat air raid siren.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Gnoman posted:

4 takes place in the rebuilt Willamette - which is almost immediately overrun by zombies.

It almost made sense there, because Willamette was destroyed by a terrorist attack rather than corporate or government fuckery (as far as the public at large knows), and it would fit with the series's grim outlook on American culture to do "Freedom Tower but its a shopping mall". If 4 was any good at all, they could've made it work.

That Netflix description sounds worse than bad, it sounds really dull and by-the-numbers.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

None of this crazy stuff is going to happen in a Netflix series starring the never heard of children of Albert Wesker which will mostly take place in warehouses, quarries, and meadows. It will be zombies, zombies, and more zombies followed by a probably passable at best CGI monster in the final episode.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I'm sure we'll get an obligatory Nemesis in there somewhere.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Raxivace posted:

I'm sure we'll get an obligatory Nemesis in there somewhere.

The season finale will have one ominous shot of a container with NT-1 printed on it and they'll never follow up on it because they got canceled a month after release

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
So I've made the (probably foolish) decision to try and play through the Resident Evil series in order, for (or at least in lead up to) October and Halloween.

I've bought a few of the games on Steam. The one that I started and then dropped about a year ago was RE1Make. I didn't get very far (last thing I remember doing was trying to deal with some dogs out on the balcony in some scripted sequence, and dying to Crimson Heads).

I decided to try and play the original PS1 version of RE1 (more specifically, the Dual Shock version, on the 'Original' campaign). I ran through part of the right side of the starting areas, getting the cutscenes with the shotgun trap, and Barry giving you the acid rounds. I ran out of ammo, though, and then died to the zombies on the upper level of the dining room. I decided to start a new game, and see if I can get back to that point again. I also got the crest on the first floor of the dining room, so that might help me open doors I couldn't open previously.

I'm using an emulator, so I can make use of save states, but my big concern is figuring out where to go and whether I should kill enemies or not. My thought was to shoot every zombie I ran across, but I ran out of ammo quickly, so now I'm trying to slip past them. However, there are some areas where I know I'll have to take them out to get through without getting injured. As such, I worry about what enemies to shoot, and whether or not I should save if I screw up too badly, either by losing health or missing shots.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Honestly, applying some common sense will see you through. If you don't think you can get through safely without taking out the zombie, take it out. As long as you're not going hog wild with your shots you'll probably have plenty of ammo to go around. Save in multiple slots if you're worried.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I mean that’s the crux of survival horror. Resource management and how it ties in to fight or flight. You should not be killing everything you come across, but weigh your options.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Resident Evil games are pretty cleverly designed that there's usually just enough ammo take out enemies that are too hard to avoid while ignoring enemies that are too slow to get to you. That said you need to scavenge all the ammo you can find if you are new to the game.

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Aug 30, 2020

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Medullah posted:

I really wish Konami would just sell the goddam Silent Hill license. Nothing but pachinko machines since Silent Hills got cancelled. Clearly there's a market for remakes, I actually heard a rumour the PS5 stream would reveal a new game and thought the VIII trailer was it.... While I'm happy it looks good, I was still angry. Even had a drat air raid siren.

Konami are basically out of the video game business. They've done some mobile games and the Contra / Castlevania collections, but other than that the only series they're maintaining is Pro Evo, and the latest version of that is just a content patch to last year's release. That last one is at least partially due to Covid / console cycles, but Konami really don't want to develop new console games these days

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Well they released a new Contra game recently.....

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Party Boat posted:

Konami are basically out of the video game business. They've done some mobile games and the Contra / Castlevania collections, but other than that the only series they're maintaining is Pro Evo, and the latest version of that is just a content patch to last year's release. That last one is at least partially due to Covid / console cycles, but Konami really don't want to develop new console games these days
They found out that Pachinko machines are thousands of times more profitable and extremely cheap to develop/mass produce so they probably don't give any single poo poo about release new console games anymore (Including Silent Hill, Castlevania, Contra, Metal Gear, etc)

I also doubt they'd ever completely give up the licenses to any games they own because they can still make tons of money just plopping them into those machines. Would be sweet if Nintendo or Sony could buyout the licenses to them

Max Wilco posted:

So I've made the (probably foolish) decision to try and play through the Resident Evil series in order, for (or at least in lead up to) October and Halloween.

I've bought a few of the games on Steam. The one that I started and then dropped about a year ago was RE1Make. I didn't get very far (last thing I remember doing was trying to deal with some dogs out on the balcony in some scripted sequence, and dying to Crimson Heads).

I decided to try and play the original PS1 version of RE1 (more specifically, the Dual Shock version, on the 'Original' campaign). I ran through part of the right side of the starting areas, getting the cutscenes with the shotgun trap, and Barry giving you the acid rounds. I ran out of ammo, though, and then died to the zombies on the upper level of the dining room. I decided to start a new game, and see if I can get back to that point again. I also got the crest on the first floor of the dining room, so that might help me open doors I couldn't open previously.

I'm using an emulator, so I can make use of save states, but my big concern is figuring out where to go and whether I should kill enemies or not. My thought was to shoot every zombie I ran across, but I ran out of ammo quickly, so now I'm trying to slip past them. However, there are some areas where I know I'll have to take them out to get through without getting injured. As such, I worry about what enemies to shoot, and whether or not I should save if I screw up too badly, either by losing health or missing shots.
There's a lot of high-traffic areas you'll constantly be walking through and want to clear out zombies, and others that you'll be through often but the rooms are big enough you can duck around the zombies and that's just how the first 4 (1-3 + Code Veronica) games are; if you're really struggling with ammo there's probably guides on which areas are the best to clear out for every game, or you could watch an LP of someone who knows what they're doing in the early parts of the mansion to get a general idea of which routes to take when you've got to loop back around. Once you make it to 4/5/6 + Revalations 1/2 you'll usually have enough ammo to kill everything along the way and the Knife becomes a pretty effective way to kill enemies. 7 Turns into Survival Horror again, and Remakes 2/3 you'll have plenty of ammo again, but probably won't have ammo to kill EVERY zombie in your path again.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

RealFoxy posted:

There's a lot of high-traffic areas you'll constantly be walking through and want to clear out zombies, and others that you'll be through often but the rooms are big enough you can duck around the zombies and that's just how the first 4 (1-3 + Code Veronica) games are; if you're really struggling with ammo there's probably guides on which areas are the best to clear out for every game, or you could watch an LP of someone who knows what they're doing in the early parts of the mansion to get a general idea of which routes to take when you've got to loop back around. Once you make it to 4/5/6 + Revalations 1/2 you'll usually have enough ammo to kill everything along the way and the Knife becomes a pretty effective way to kill enemies. 7 Turns into Survival Horror again, and Remakes 2/3 you'll have plenty of ammo again, but probably won't have ammo to kill EVERY zombie in your path again.

My only other hands-on experience with RE was RE4 on the Wii, but that was years ago. I do remember the knife being pretty useful. Playing RE1, my thought was to use the knife to try and take out enemies on the ground when they go down, but that didn't really seem to pan out as I hoped. I ended up stashing the knife in the storage container, but maybe that's a bad move.

A big part of why I'm playing the older RE games is because I want to see how they compare to the remakes. RE1Make seems to be a mostly 1:1 conversion (save for the new content, which from what I read, was stuff that was meant to be in the original version), but RE2Make and RE3Make seem like pretty drastic overhauls, but I'm also not real familiar with the content of the original games.

man nurse posted:

I mean that’s the crux of survival horror. Resource management and how it ties in to fight or flight. You should not be killing everything you come across, but weigh your options.

If you're just starting out, though, you might think you have to take out every enemy that crosses your path, and that'll lead you to running out of ammo. Trying to run past them (at least in RE1 where the areas seem pretty constrained) always seemed more like a speed-running tactic rather than something you use for normal play.

Still, leaving enemies alive is wise, especially with the zombies in RE1Make. I knew about the Crimson Heads, and I figured out how to use the gas to burn them so they wouldn't come back, but then I realized the gas is limited, and I wouldn't have enough for all of them.

WaltherFeng posted:

Resident Evil games are pretty cleverly designed that there's usually just enough ammo take out enemies that are too hard to avoid while ignoring enemies that are too slow to get to you. That said you need to scavenge all the ammo you can find if you are new to the game.

I'll probably take a look at a guide, then, because while think I've identified a couple of areas where I need to take out enemies, I'm still not certain, because I don't know if it's better to save that ammo for later. I guess that that's the nerve-wracking part; even in places where combat seems necessary, I'm still uncertain, because I wonder if I'll need it later on for boss fights or whatnot. I also haven't run across any ammo pickups as of yet.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Aug 30, 2020

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

apparently the guy who leaked the ghosts of tsushima dlc has leaked that silent hills is back on. i won't bother with too many details since this guy only has one leak and this has been rumored a lot but, i mean, i guess there's still hope for a new silent hill game. this time konami is allegedly allowing them to use the IP for an 8% cut, which i guess is a pretty good deal if you have absolutely no interest in actually making games.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
yeah its been on for awhile, we were supposed to see it in the ps5 event but got held back, then it was sometime in august and now its whenever i guess. ps5 exclusive. dunno if its still two silent hill games but i know the kojima one deal fell through.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I think I'd rather see HD remakes of Silent Hill 1-3 than a new game at this point, to be honest. 1-4 are four of my favorite games of all time, but the ones after that are all just...meh.

I dunno, something is better than nothing, as long as that something isn't pachinko.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Medullah posted:

I think I'd rather see HD remakes of Silent Hill 1-3 than a new game at this point, to be honest. 1-4 are four of my favorite games of all time, but the ones after that are all just...meh.

I dunno, something is better than nothing, as long as that something isn't pachinko.

Silent hill 1-3 is pretty expensive these days (well I guess if you can put up with it, the HD remasters from last generation would do in a pinch) oh and I think silent hill 1 is digitally available for psp/vita/ps3.

Still a remake Ala demons souls/shadow of the colossus with new graphics on the old game would be awesome.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Ineffiable posted:

Silent hill 1-3 is pretty expensive these days (well I guess if you can put up with it, the HD remasters from last generation would do in a pinch) oh and I think silent hill 1 is digitally available for psp/vita/ps3.

Still a remake Ala demons souls/shadow of the colossus with new graphics on the old game would be awesome.

Oh I have them all physically still. I just played through the SH2 Enhanced Edition on PC, which I can't recommend enough. It's a fan project but looks super professional.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
silent hills being "back on" has been leaked so frequently that if it actually does happen at this point it will not be a leak and mostly just a function of constantly predicting the same thing for years on end

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Konami did just announce that the Dead by Daylight expansion for Silent Hill is getting a physical release.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
WAs the Silent Hill series really that big a commercial success? I know people like us enjoy it in the RE thread but I seem to recall it being kind of a middle tier seller.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

It was so long ago that it's hard to really say it for sure when compared to today's market. It was always really more critically well-received than widely popular, though.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

It was never a blockbuster but Silent Hill was successful enough to get eight games and two movies.

At this point though I'd be more excited for a new Fatal Frame or Siren.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I loved the Silent Hill movie personally, but that was the beginning of the end. It was too mainstream after that, it lost whatever spark it had

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Eh it was already heading down from 4 onwards, yeesh the mid game switch to escort mission

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Sakurazuka posted:

Eh it was already heading down from 4 onwards, yeesh the mid game switch to escort mission

It took me forever to finish it because of that part but honestly, it's still the only one that I consider genuinely scary.