Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

night slime
May 14, 2014

CJacobs posted:

I asked on the DS Reddit, it seems the "again" appears after Sam leaves Amelie's beach and ends up in the credit-roll-blue-zone beach. You get a good look at the photo when he scoops it up off the sand. So your first theory is probably right, Amelie added it as a little 'goodbye'.

She kept him there for 200 years trying to pickpocket him on an empty beach and write on it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

night slime posted:

She kept him there for 200 years trying to pickpocket him on an empty beach and write on it

No Sam turn around! Oh my god he's got his airpods in listening to Low Roar! He can't hear us!

thumper57
Feb 26, 2004

OK this ending sequence is super loving irritating.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

thumper57 posted:

OK this ending sequence is super loving irritating.

tea

I loved Death Stranding and generally really liked the ending, but it was a huge pain in the rear end to get through. The running on the beach poo poo with the credits rolling was a bit much.

That said it's Kojima so I was kind of expecting the ending to be ridiculously overdone or frustrating in some way.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Do you have to run around for the beach sequence or can you just put the controller down and come back? At first I thought I got a bad ending or something.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
You can just leave the controller, after I figured out what was happening I just let it run it's course.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Uncultured fools. Pick up that controller and run around the beach and enjoy the EXCELLENT ending that Kojima delivered to you :mad:

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I ran around for mb half of it then spent the rest of the credits roll smoking weed. I feel this is a satisfactory choice.

thumper57
Feb 26, 2004

I ran out into the ocean to try and drown myself, I sprinted to the mountain to throw myself off, finally I saw an auto-save icon and turned off the PS4.

I'll come back to do the rest of "sit silently for 3 minutes to continue monologue" later.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
How much longer would the ladder of ballads in MGS3 be if Kojima had DS levels of influence over game design

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

It could be as long as he wanted if it played Snake Eater on a loop ngl

thumper57
Feb 26, 2004

Oh my god, how many credits ARE there?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

thumper57 posted:

Oh my god, how many credits ARE there?

too many

thumper57
Feb 26, 2004

So there's the "credits roll while you stagger around the beach" section, then you get some more cutscenes and the title card, then some more walking then cutscenes... then we get

NORMAN REEDUS
MADS MIKKELSON

Then another title card, then CAST followed by a scrolling list of what we just watched one at a time and I feel like I'm probably forgetting some. We also got to watch the "Oh there you are Sam... you want to go home? Let's go home" scene three times over the space of the last set of cutscenes. I get it! Norman Reedus is in this and Amelie sent baby Sam back.

I really liked the game but honestly I think I really just liked building roads and then cruising along them to drop off packages. I kinda feel like the story was obscured too much early on and then too repetitive late - it made the characters look kind of dumb for not piecing things together (and kinda treated me like an idiot assuming I needed to see and hear dialogue a second time less than 5 minutes after I first heard it... like You could try taking Lou out..., I know, I've been hitting buttons to try to do that the whole walk here).

Anyway my two quality-of-life requests for this would be the ability to dismantle structures at a distance (for both the times when I left a stupid zipline somewhere that made me confused traveling my beautiful network - but not enough to trek out to it to destroy it then walk back - and for those times when some rear end in a top hat would put a time shelter 175m between two of my ziplines making them impossible to traverse), and the ability to set up upgrade requests for myself that I could then fulfill by bot. Trekking 240 chemicals and 480 special alloys out to my ziplines one at a time was annoying, if I could flag them and then send a bot to do it from a nearby facility it would have been nice.

e: oh yeah, and quit leaving your goddamn vehicles in the middle of my beautiful roads

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

thumper57 posted:

the ability to dismantle structures at a distance (for both the times when I left a stupid zipline somewhere that made me confused traveling my beautiful network - but not enough to trek out to it to destroy it then walk back - and for those times when some rear end in a top hat would put a time shelter 175m between two of my ziplines making them impossible to traverse)

You can do that from the cuff link map.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
You can just sit back down by holding Circle to rest during the sequence you folks are talking about. Why didn't you try it?

thumper57
Feb 26, 2004

Shinmera posted:

You can do that from the cuff link map.

Oh drat it.

CJacobs posted:

You can just sit back down by holding Circle to rest during the sequence you folks are talking about. Why didn't you try it?

I did, circle button was not active for me (PS4)

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
?? It worked just fine for me, Sam sat down and the cutscenes continued as soon as the current section of the credits ended, no need to wait for him to get tired and do it himself. Weird.

night slime
May 14, 2014
Have PC dataminers conclusively figured out what the birthday/DOOMs thing does at the beginning?

Also minor birthday spoilers: If you shout near a structure, another Sam says hey birthday boy to you on your birthday but does he ever say birthday girl? I don't remember any gender option.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
forgot to ask, which one of you posted this

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!

buglord posted:

forgot to ask, which one of you posted this

:lol::lol::lol::stonklol:

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
diaper dad better be canon in death stranding 2

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

I managed to avoid learning anything about this game up until I bought it on Steam a couple days ago. It is just wonderful. That is all.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
I did the same thing and I'm super glad I did. Kojima insanity at its best. +1 likes brother :hifive:

King Crab
Nov 12, 2005

lets pretend i didnt say that and lets als0 pretend it isnt inevitable
Between this and spider-man, I've had some really fun emotional moments.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

I just started playing DS, and I'm going in 99% blind. All I know is that Norman is a courier, and there's invisible ghost things.

I have gotten up to the 3rd mission/job thing, and I have no loving idea what's happening, but I'm enjoying it.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

All you need to know about Death Stranding is that it's a Kojima game in which you play a man named Sam Porter Bridges, who works as a porter, for an organization named Bridges.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Wheeee posted:

All you need to know about Death Stranding is that it's a Kojima game in which you play a man named Sam Porter Bridges, who works as a porter, for an organization named Bridges.

Yeah I knew I'd be getting Kojima Weirdness™, but it was probably going to be a good ride.
Wasn't Sam's Mom named Bridget too?
Bridget B. Bridges, of the Bridgeport Bridges?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Sam's real family name is Strand, it only gets said aloud in reference to The Reedus himself a couple of times. He just calls himself Sam Porter Bridges because he doesn't want to associate with his family which is a weird thing to do but it's the apocalypse people can name themselves whatever they want I guess

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I was thinking they all just took on their company’s name, between Bridges and Fragile.

I just got to chapter 4 and I’m still loving it except for some of that annoying as gently caress terrain in chapter 3. Must be what it’s like to be a mailman in Iceland.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Unlike Sam, the game does give a reason for Fragile's name vs the company name. Not a story spoiler but I'll tag it anyway since I don't remember when the interview is unlocked: Her father was the founder of Fragile Express, meaning in the post-apocalypse world she's the new head of the company or what's left of it. For her it would sorta make sense to still go by Fragile, similar to how a law firm will have the lawyer's name as the business' name. This means it also could be her last name and we're just not given her first, but I doubt it because Kojima loves naming people adjectives and other things that aren't names.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

I unlocked the chiralium truck today, pretty neat!

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
I'm not very far into the game but it seems like everyone's surname is connected to their job or location? Wind, Lake, etc.

If it actually means anything, I have no idea...

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

post game question...
what actually has to happen before the new prez is inaugurated?

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Sleekly posted:

post game question...
what actually has to happen before the new prez is inaugurated?

Nothing. Chapter 14 is the ceremony. Postgame actually takes place BEFORE chapter 14.

That's because the story ends in 14 so postgame takes place before that.

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Aug 30, 2020

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

ok! :psyduck:

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

It is done

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

CJacobs posted:

Sam's real family name is Strand, it only gets said aloud in reference to The Reedus himself a couple of times. He just calls himself Sam Porter Bridges because he doesn't want to associate with his family which is a weird thing to do but it's the apocalypse people can name themselves whatever they want I guess

I thought Sam's real family name is technically Unger? I swear that the whole Sam Strand thing, is that he was an orphan ie abandoned/STRANDed from his family?

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

jisforjosh posted:

I thought Sam's real family name is technically Unger? I swear that the whole Sam Strand thing, is that he was an orphan ie abandoned/STRANDed from his family?

I believe this is right; Sam is Clifford’s biological son (Unger), Bridget’s adopted son (Strand), and workers take on the their employer’s name as a de facto surname (Bridges)

At the start of the game before Sam gets to Capital Knot he goes by his profession, Porter, because he works alone/for hire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

night slime
May 14, 2014
The apocalypse making people not really care about typical family-oriented name conventions and cling to the employer/work for their identity instead is kind of an interesting theme. Remember how forming your identity around your work leads to the MULE conundrum? I can't remember who but I think at some point someone tells you the terrorists are the next step from MULEs, that they become bloodthirsty after losing the high from cargo.