Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

some people acting like this is gonna go full devilman crybaby but there's a limit to how dark a shonen jump series is gonna go

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoren
May 28, 2008
This dream sequence keeps getting worse and worse. It's almost believable.

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008

Manatee Cannon posted:

some people acting like this is gonna go full devilman crybaby but there's a limit to how dark a shonen jump series is gonna go

devilman ran in a weekly shonen mag mane

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

atrus50 posted:

devilman ran in a weekly shonen mag mane

And Attack on Titan is running right now in a monthly shonen magazine.

(The current plot is... rather dark.)

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Manatee Cannon posted:

fire punch ran in shonen jump's online magazine. it had a lot more sexual stuff and explicit gore (at least as i remember it), which is more appropriate for an online offering, but i'm not sure how different the tone will end up being, especially given the events of the last 4 chapters

but chiasuar makes a very good point that the themes aren't necessarily going to be a 1 to 1 between an old work and a new series

it will be interesting to see how things will develop with the removal of several major and minor characters between the hell arc and the most recent arc. fire punch dealt with this several times by radically changing the setting in each instance, but that might be harder to do in a non-post apocalyptic setting

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
Maybe Makima grudge is with Pochita and not Denji

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

fire punch ran in shonen jump's online magazine. it had a lot more sexual stuff and explicit gore (at least as i remember it), which is more appropriate for an online offering, but i'm not sure how different the tone will end up being, especially given the events of the last 4 chapters

but chiasuar makes a very good point that the themes aren't necessarily going to be a 1 to 1 between an old work and a new series

it will be interesting to see how things will develop with the removal of several major and minor characters between the hell arc and the most recent arc. fire punch dealt with this several times by radically changing the setting in each instance, but that might be harder to do in a non-post apocalyptic setting

An obvious solution suggests itself for that one.

As for themes, though, I was just thinking how people in the manga tend to attribute Denji's success to being a psycho dumbass, and it's not all wrong... but it's not quite right, either.

First, obviously, Denji's won a lot of his fights by thinking them through. He learns to bluff from Kishibe to take down Katana, he thinks through to the Power of Light strategy after hearing how Darkness is powerful in, well, darkness, and Reze only loses because she taught Denji how to swim.

What's more, most of the "stupid" things Denji does that actually win aren't cases where he doesn't know something. Denji's not the brightest, but even he understands that lighting yourself on fire hurts. It's just that he's crazy enough to do it anyway. Denji accepted risk and pain as a price for his happiness. In other words, he thrived as the city mouse.

The more I look at Denji's arc, the less it seems to fit with ignorance being bliss.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Something to consider: what if Denji just straight kills Makima? Like, a running theme is devils constantly underestimating him. What if he just loving kills her, and then the next arc of the manga is him on the run from the new legion of devil hunters trying to take down the deadly Chainsaw Devil? Maybe lead into Denji meeting new characters that are willing to protect / befriend him, maybe in other countries.

Before they all die horribly, of course

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

Logical motivations for Makima, but like all chessmaster villains she's made the critical flaw of underestimating Denji... and I don't mean his combat ability.

Hellbunny
Dec 24, 2008

I'm not bad, I'm just misunderstood.
Offical chapters is out:

https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1007510

Gonna be honest, I don't really see any way forward without Denji accepting the fact that he has to kill Makima. Granted, there's plenty of time for him to make mistakes and gently caress up before that, but I really can't see the story going in any other direction.

Granted, I haven't read fire punch...

Hellbunny fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Aug 30, 2020

Professorjuggalo
Oct 22, 2019

by Cyrano4747
Official chapter is finally out, :negative:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

The Lobotomy Kid posted:

Chainsaw Man answers the important question: What if The Judge from Blood Meridian was an attractive woman.

“That man who sets himself the task of singling out the thread of order from the tapestry will by the decision alone have taken charge of the world and it is only by such taking charge that he will effect a way to dictate the terms of his own fate.” --Judge Holden
Hrm, maybe

As for chapter 82

I'm not sure yet how i feel about it, or the past few for that matter. There's a difference between dark or heavy stuff and "oh man wouldn't it be hosed UP if i like KILLED all the characters you like?!! :twisted: and i have no idea if the author has a point to all this, or he just likes breaking his toys. Which isn't to say there's not room for all kinds of stories and ways of telling them, but i'm no longer sure if this one is for me right now. But, i'm also not sure it's not so we'll see how the next chapters go

Professorjuggalo
Oct 22, 2019

by Cyrano4747
This can’t be the status quo, I wanna even guess this sets up a denji goes to hell arc to redeem his ‘country mouse’ mistakes

Professorjuggalo
Oct 22, 2019

by Cyrano4747
What the hell am I saying denji is gonna wake up with pochita chained to makima next chapter

Edit: I will admit i haven’t seen a author taunt the audience like this since End of evangelion for what it’s worth, this chapter is just a victory lap for makima

But there’s no way this counts as the ‘normal life’ that pochita contracted on so at least makima can’t win from this

Professorjuggalo fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Aug 30, 2020

bondster
May 6, 2007

Finally decided to bite the bullet and start reading this over the weekend. What a HELL of a place to get caught up at :smith:

Also this was playing in my head the last page and half of this chapter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQA-vg43H48

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Makima is such a great character. That being said, gently caress her!

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Professorjuggalo posted:

What the hell am I saying denji is gonna wake up with pochita chained to makima next chapter

Edit: I will admit i haven’t seen a author taunt the audience like this since End of evangelion for what it’s worth, this chapter is just a victory lap for makima

But there’s no way this counts as the ‘normal life’ that pochita contracted on so at least makima can’t win from this

that's probably makima's ulterior motive, she wants to destroy denji's dreams to sever his contract with pochita and remove the final obstacle to whatever endgame she has in store

liking the continuation of the "evil(ler) haruko" vibe that fujimoto hinted at - in flcl haruko also encouraged naota's self-actualization as a means of making him reliant on her

ka-kiiiin~

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

NickRoweFillea posted:

Makima is such a great character. That being said, gently caress her!

That's what Denji wanted and it hasn't really worked out.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Worked better for him than it did for Aki.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
small and probably irrelevant detail but when Inner Makima is talking to inner child Denji she is wearing her work uniform

My rambling thoughts:

We know that Makima has some ultimate nefarious goal for humanity where she’s the big boss since she’s known as the Control Devil and from what the American president said.

Hell appears to be an important place that may be pivotal to Makima’s goals. Devils continuously spawn and respawn in Hell. When Devils die in Hell, they respawn on Earth and eat and terrorize humans. If you can control the Devils or have control over whatever mechanism that is in place in Hell then you effectively have control over humanity. Makima does not have control over Hell as there are Primordial Devils in Hell that rival Makima in strength and are opposed to her plan since they want to murder her.

The Chainsaw Devil is an important figure in this Hell/Earth system because it is a Devil which other devils fear (fear is also another significant concept as it determines how powerful a Devil is and Devils are weaker to things that they fear) and apparently it used to send Devils to Earth by murdering the hell out of them. Forces opposing Makima, including Primordial Devils, want the Chainsaw Devil’s heart which I assume gives them control over the Chainsaw Devil. The Chainsaw Devil is currently a human-devil hybrid. We don’t know if hybrids are stronger or weaker than their original Devil forms, but everyone wants to separate Pochita from Denji so they’re probably significantly stronger, more easily manipulated or some other unknown factor. Either way, nobody wants Denji.

So we’re missing some big info about contracts here because if everyone is after the Chainsaw Devil’s heart, then why didn’t Makima forcibly take Denji’s heart at anytime (even though she was the first person to steal his heart lol). Why go through all that effort to break the contract? Furthermore, why didn’t she force Denji to break his contract with Pochita using her powers? We’ve already seen that she could force others to form a contracts against their will. The Eternity Devil arc mentioned that contracts are powerful. Does this mean that physically extracting Pochita’s heart from Denji won’t work? Does the contract operate on some superordinate level where Makima’s mindcontrol powers won’t work? That’s my guess judging from the latest chapter because Makima’s plan seems to be to break Denji’s will to live. Denji is functionally immortal but if he didn’t want to live anymore, this would nullify the contract he made with Pochita of showing him his dreams of living and achieving self actualization.

yum fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Aug 30, 2020

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
The first 2 panels with Makima just slamming the door on powers corpse is brutal black comedy.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Hellbunny posted:

Offical chapters is out:

https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1007510

Gonna be honest, I don't really see any way forward without Denji accepting the fact that he has to kill Makima. Granted, there's plenty of time for him to make mistakes and gently caress up before that, but I really can't see the story going in any other direction.

Granted, I haven't read fire punch...

And here's where I point out that the manga's been described as an "evil FLCL", and this chapter went even further to prove it with Makima guilting Denji over killing his dad.

Remember the ending of FLCL?

Expecting Denji to fight Makima is quite reasonable.

Expecting him to kill her... is the sort of hope that sets up for disappointment.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

If this is really going the route of evil FLCL, could the real reason Makima wants to separate Denji and Pochita so bad be that she's desperately, insanely in love with the Chainsaw Devil?

Might be a fun twist. Especially if she really DOES have superiors in the organization, and her relation to them is similar to Haruko's to the galactic police.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Hi, just got caught up on the last 10 chapters

:stare:

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Roth posted:

Hi, just got caught up on the last 10 chapters

:stare:

Welcome to the future! It is not best!

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I think it's worth remembering that devils and fiends throughout the series have had goals and ambitions outside their nature. Makima is the Control Devil. Her nature is to win and to rule. I don't think we should always, automatically assume that it's also her driving ambition.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

please change the thread title to a girl and her dog

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
Are devils afraid of the chainsaw devil because the human psyche has associated the chainsaw as a demon slaying tool of choice in our culture ? (movies, games, comics, etc.)

What I'm saying is that Shotgun Boomstick Devil will come to Denji's rescue

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i suspect that if makima does get her hands on the unadulterated chainsaw devil she will not enjoy the experience

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

ZZZorcerer posted:

Maybe Makima grudge is with Pochita and not Denji
That is what was implied, yeah. Maybe. Denji is a means to an end, she wants the contract broken. Not sure why.

She's lying nonstop in this chapter. He couldn't save Aki, he was already dead, and he has nothing to do with her killing Power. But that's kind of the point, Denji is reeling. I don't think she gives the slightest gently caress about killing some drunk.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

ZZZorcerer posted:

Are devils afraid of the chainsaw devil because the human psyche has associated the chainsaw as a demon slaying tool of choice in our culture ? (movies, games, comics, etc.)

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Hey itd be pretty cool if fears work in reverse
And demons are afraid of chainsawd because in pop media chainsaws just tear through demons

Now we just need the shotgun demon.

:smuggo:

For real if it does happen I will mark the gently caress out

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Spiderdrake posted:

That is what was implied, yeah. Maybe. Denji is a means to an end, she wants the contract broken. Not sure why.

She's lying nonstop in this chapter. He couldn't save Aki, he was already dead, and he has nothing to do with her killing Power. But that's kind of the point, Denji is reeling. I don't think she gives the slightest gently caress about killing some drunk.

I think she gives exactly the slightest gently caress. Makima seems to enjoy hurting people more if there's something in the way of a past misdeed to twist the knife with.

Assuming the story with Denji's dad is legit, it's clearly not the motive behind Makima's actions, but it's a little bit of extra fun to the whole affair.

Whatever Makima's final motives are, however much or little she ultimately cares about Denji (till death do they part), I think we're seeing the root of Quanxi's news anchor story. The laughter? The little bits of extra sadism? That's not her big plan. That's her cruel and lovely sense of humor.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

ZZZorcerer posted:

Knowing Fujimoto, this isn’t impossible.

MizuZero posted:

please change the thread title to a girl and her dog

Lol. drat

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

This comic sucks lol.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Pewdiepie posted:

This comic sucks lol.

ok

Professorjuggalo
Oct 22, 2019

by Cyrano4747
It’s called chainsaw man not ‘this cast of characters will survive to chapter 100’

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
https://mobile.twitter.com/BooDooPerson/status/1300543366938210304

The Lobotomy Kid
Aug 27, 2011

and act like a nut.

Pewdiepie posted:

This comic sucks lol.

Don't sign your monitor. Turn on your posts.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

ZZZorcerer posted:

i made an Evil Dead joke like 20 chapters ago, and others have too. it would not be a reach at all for that to really be why Chainsaw is so powerful, given the entire ending of Fire Punch. that said, this hasn't been nearly as focused on "cinema" and filmmaking.

also, RIP in Power

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug