Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Doctor Londom posted:

I can't remember the name but it was the guy who also converted a Massey-Harris tractor to electric.

Edit: misread. I thought you were looking for a homestead build on here.

I think it was Slung Blade that did that neat tractor conversion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3264505
Is his thread for those curious, a lot of the early pictures have evaporated into the aether though.

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings

kastein posted:

The neighbors can go to hell, quiet time is when my wife says she wants to actually go to sleep instead of listening to me running a drywall screw gun and a squeaky rear end drywall hoist :v:

My memories of the build I recently finished are dominated by the squeaking of the plasterboard hoist for the ceilings by floodlamp at 9pm on a December night in a house unheated in eight months and with the breath condensing in front of my face.

That and the equally persistent squeaking of the pulley as I went down the ladder, hooked on another sheet of plasterboard, went up the ladder, hoisted it up and moved it to the pile, and repeated 113 more times.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Other half of kitchen ceiling is rocked

I've trimmed most of the cripple studs for the HVAC enclosure to the right height and put the next set of boards on. Need to insulate the last duct next, then hang rafters under it and around the evap unit. Still need to install the latches on the access hatch, but I finally got one of my trucks running again so once I've added the latches I can bring the hatch home (it won't fit in the largest car we have now that it's fully welded... Whoops) and install it.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Did some more kitchen ceiling framing

Unfortunately I forgot to take pics before covering it in drywall, but it looks the same the rest of the way across too.

With that I turned my attention to the access hatch / HVAC tech guillotine, and how to keep it from guillotining people, mostly.
I bought 8 quarter turn latches off Amazon. They look nice but have this pain in the rear end pattern to cut that's actually a circle with 4 flats, but was easier to cut as a square with rounded corners. It looks rough but the whole thing gets hidden under the latch bezel so who cares as long as it works. This is actually just a practice scrap but the real thing looks the same.

Finished hooking up the PEX to the high efficiency washer dryer hookup upstairs one night after quiet hours. I'm really starting to like the copper crimp ring style PEX connections. PEX doesn't look as nice as copper and doesn't ground the water system as well but I think I'll use it for everything in the next house, like you guys suggested on approximately page 2 of the thread.

Dropped ceiling section covering the ducts is starting to look good.

As soon as the seams are taped I can get the access hatch in this giant-rear end hole and then realize it looks like trash and replace it with some cheap plywood and pine framing. At least I can probably reuse the quarter turn latches if that happens...

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Posting to say I have mainlined this thread during the "current situation" and I love what you do.

But installing a hatch that allows someone to turn 7 quarter turn latches and then decapitates them on the 8th is really loving wild. It's like Russian roulette but you know the bullet is in the last chamber!

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Thanks! I will almost certainly be putting a warning label on it. Also I don't think it'll actually guillotine anyone, more like blunt force trauma.

apatite posted:

:drat:

You've got all the luck :) I'll trade you a free snowmobile for your free lathe+mill !!!

Funny story, if you still want the mill, it's up for grabs. Needs work still but come and get it and it's yours. It's under 4k, I think it's in the low 3k lb range. I chose a random page to see what I'd been up to and saw this.

jabadoo
Aug 10, 2004
you might have said already.. but could you throw a couple of gas struts on it to arrest the initial drop?

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
There's enough clearance there that it looks like a hatch could have lifted and slid to the side.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

There really isn't. The rafters for the lowered ceiling are as short as I could use (2x4) and touching the duct insulation. There is no clearance for anything.

I've considered gas struts but I'm not sure they'll work well. If it comes to that it's getting replaced with a lightweight wood hatch and I'll scrap this mess. I might do that anyways because I realized that putting cabinets against the wall will mean the hatch won't open anywhere near all the way. Haven't decided if that means it doesn't get cabinets to the top, or if the hatch gets changed.

I really had my head up my rear end on this one.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

It's not a failure it's an iterative design.

Make a super complicated hinge system that drops the panel down and slides it out of the way. Then update it to v3.x which will only occasionally maim the operator.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Galler posted:

It's not a failure it's an iterative design.

Make a super complicated hinge system that drops the panel down and slides it out of the way. Then update it to v3.x which will only occasionally maim the operator.

Fatality rate to 100% in v4.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

kastein posted:

I really had my head up my rear end on this one.
It doesn't seem THAT bad, and even if it is that dire it's, like, one issue in a house you basically reconstructed from the ground up. Worst-case scenario seems to be that you make a lighter wood-framed hatch.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

I dunno, a steel hatch that occasionally decapitates the owner is a feature not a bug. The next owner should have to regularly demonstrate sufficient courage to be worthy of Kastein's rebuild job. :black101:

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
Eight quarter turn latches pfft. This hatch should be opened with four different puzzles located throughout the house Mist style.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Worst-case scenario seems to be that you make a lighter wood-framed hatch.

He needs to keep up enough weight on the house to make up for the 5 layers of roofing material he removed.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Five? Nope...

IIRC I counted 6 layers on one side and 8-10 on the other, wasn't really sure due to some patching that had been done. Plus the several layers of cedar shakes under all that.

Notice there were like, 3 or 4 layers of flashing. I'm guessing every 2 layers of shingles they reflashed it.

Also see the area that looks like a punched asphalt lasagna because the nails wouldn't even reach the decking anymore and it was like an overstuffed corkboard.

I was worried about the multiple feet of snow we got that first winter until I realized that I'd just removed many thousands of pounds of asphalt from the roof, so 2-3 feet of snow buildup was probably not a big deal.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

kastein posted:

Five? Nope...

IIRC I counted 6 layers on one side and 8-10 on the other, wasn't really sure due to some patching that had been done. Plus the several layers of cedar shakes under all that.

Notice there were like, 3 or 4 layers of flashing. I'm guessing every 2 layers of shingles they reflashed it.

Also see the area that looks like a punched asphalt lasagna because the nails wouldn't even reach the decking anymore and it was like an overstuffed corkboard.

I was worried about the multiple feet of snow we got that first winter until I realized that I'd just removed many thousands of pounds of asphalt from the roof, so 2-3 feet of snow buildup was probably not a big deal.

Wow. Been following you thread for a while and missed the roof saga somewhere along the way. Between all that extra weight on the roof and all the rotted walls how did that house not collapse like a house of cards?

It’s like they deliberately poorly maintained a house so it would fail.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

tomapot posted:

Wow. Been following you thread for a while and missed the roof saga somewhere along the way. Between all that extra weight on the roof and all the rotted walls how did that house not collapse like a house of cards?

It’s like they deliberately poorly maintained a house so it would fail.

This was a Schrodinger's House, in that the insides of the walls were both chowdered to nonexistence and also indestructably rock-solid until Kastein cut them open and found the termite and dry rot fiesta.

Go look at replacing footers in the living room. Dozens of incomplete studs were securely fastened to several fistfuls of wet sand, but they held until the wall was open. Repointing the foundation walls, also, is an adventure in semi-liquid structural shoring.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

kastein posted:

Five? Nope...

I almost typed out 8, then said "surely you must be remembering that wrong." I guess I wasn't. Other than the places where there were 10.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Structural shingles?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

I'm fully convinced the house held up because if it fell down it would be less work for kastein to fix.

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

Liquid Communism posted:

I'm fully convinced the house held up because if it fell down it would be less work for kastein to fix.

Only thing holding it up was spite

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

TheMightyHandful posted:

And structural resentment.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe
You're all crazy. That house was clearly fine and needed nothing.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

TheMightyHandful posted:

Spite is what got it rebuilt into what it is today instead of burned down for the insurance money.

tehllama
Apr 30, 2009

Hook, swing.

H110Hawk posted:

Fatality rate to 100% in v4.

A complex circuit of variable sized gears with various resistances such that the speed it drops changes wildly as it descends. Perhaps linked to an atomic clock as a randomizes so each time it opens it the pattern is different.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Hey Kastein, I'll trade you your empty piece of property for my awesome house that is totally habitable, a few miles away straight up.

Here's an example of the excellent framing

Once you agree I'll show you the other 30' of beam that totally exist, and isn't joists resting in dirt.

I eagerly await your response to my amazing offer.

My house was built as a temporary lumber camp in 1911 with green wood, so I'm sure it's much nicer than your several years older house in MA.

kill me

For real though, your house is looking nice! I'm super jealous.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

We're gonna need a thread ASAP, Elviscat.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Elviscat posted:

Hey Kastein, I'll trade you your empty piece of property for my awesome house that is totally habitable, a few miles away straight up.

Here's an example of the excellent framing

Once you agree I'll show you the other 30' of beam that totally exist, and isn't joists resting in dirt.

I eagerly await your response to my amazing offer.

My house was built as a temporary lumber camp in 1911 with green wood, so I'm sure it's much nicer than your several years older house in MA.

kill me

For real though, your house is looking nice! I'm super jealous.

Haaaaaahahahaha

Having already done that, no thanks :v:

If you're still working on fixing it when we get out there, though, I'm game to feed you emotional support beers and nominally assist in not dropping the house while the repairs are made under it.

It's kind of funny watching other people make these discoveries and having mini freak-outs about it while I'm just like oh. This again. Ok pass me the sawzall and bottle jack and clear your calendar, we are going to home Depot in an hour.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Well. It's been a while, mostly been unloading moving boxes full of my embedded systems and electronics hobbyist junk out of the attic and bringing them to the hangar to pack for the move, and emptying excess construction materials and tools out of the living room to prep for furring out the living room ceiling and drywalling it. Also started building shipping crates for all my crap so I can stack it on pallets and make it easier to move. I buy really cheap plywood cutoffs from a local crate and coffin maker that turn out to be about the right size to make really big really cheap moving crates.

Now that that's mostly cleared out, I did the ceiling.

But first, I had to see if I could redesign the master bedroom radiant such that the return line didn't have to come down through the middle of the subflooring and go through the joists, because it'll be inaccessible once the ceiling is up. Luckily:

It works. I had to make one 180 turn 6in radius instead of 8 but the radiant tubing datasheet says that's acceptable.

So now that that dependency is removed, time to do the living room ceiling.

Furring done. This ceiling isn't level and I didn't want to make it level but I did need to make it flat, so I used my harbor freight laser line tool and futzed around with it till it was set up perfectly.

Drywall done. At least for now. I have some more minor framing and furring to do before I can finish the hall ceiling and the duct enclosures.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

I don't know how you find the time to do this - then again if I had the time I would likely squander it on computer games and masturbation.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Well I lost my job quite some time ago due to the trade war, so mostly I'm living off savings, selling random jeep parts I decided I don't need anymore, and odd jobs, and praying I finish the place (1) before the market crashes and (2) before I run out of money and junk to sell. I have no mortgage due to buying this place as a fixer upper and no car loans due to only buying 500 dollar shitboxes, so assuming both of those things hold true, I'll be good to go for the move. The rough plan is to have all my stuff out of the house before we finish it or move, thus crating it up and storing it at my hangar, because this way the place can be sold easily without multiple flights back and forth, just one for the final walkthrough and key handover, theoretically.

Even with all that free time it's amazing how little I get done during it. Mostly for, well, the reasons you gave :v: (but actually, more loving around on facebook, working on my jeeps, and watching the world fall apart in realtime via google news.)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Do you also own the hangar or is it a shared rental sort of thing?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Shared rental. I've known the guy since 2006 and we've gone back and forth on the "I have no job right now so can you handle the rent for a while" front, both with this and a storage unit we shared for nearly a decade. I currently owe him a bit on that, but nothing out of the ordinary, my rent there for 1/3 of a 44x48 hangar is 175 bucks a month.

The rough plan is once I get all my crap crated up, it gets stacked under the wide eaves of the hangar out back with poly sheeting over it, or if I pull off selling my 5 ton, I'll be buying a dryvan tractor trailer and stacking it full of crates. I really need to list the 5 ton but I have a burning hatred for trying to sell trucks to rednecks.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I've known my roommate since 1997, and we've gone back and forth on the "hey can you cover rent for an extra week or two?" thing a couple of times already. It's nice to have someone that you can trust like that.

I have no idea what your furniture situation is like, but it's generally a lot easier to sell a house that has at least some minimal (and CLEAN) furniture in it instead of just empty, even if it's the cheapest garbage you can find on the side of the road with a table cloth slapped over it. It gives buyers an idea of how things might look once they buy the house. You'll potentially sell the house faster, and possibly for a good chunk more.

If you don't have any furniture you think would work for that (... you're an engineer, so I'm guessing everything you own is function over form), there's companies that will stage the house for you. It might be worth the expense to sell it faster, unless you're targeting a very specific buyer demographic and know you can get them.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Good point, I've never actually sold a house before. I figured everyone would prefer to see the place empty so they know there isn't hidden damage and can see where all the outlets and stuff are but I guess seeing it furnished would be useful too.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

kastein posted:

Good point, I've never actually sold a house before. I figured everyone would prefer to see the place empty so they know there isn't hidden damage and can see where all the outlets and stuff are but I guess seeing it furnished would be useful too.

No, the home inspectors are the people who would prefer to see it empty.

The people buying it want to see themselves living there.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

kastein posted:

If I were you, I would listen to my Real Estate Agent on what to do, because your instincts, and probably a lot of this subforum's, are going to be diametrically opposed to real people's. Most home buyer's interest in the plumbing, electrical, and other mechanicals of the house is going to be "does it work?" Which is going to take a backseat to "do I like the layout?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Elviscat posted:

Most home buyer's interest in the plumbing, electrical, and other mechanicals of the house is going to be "does it work?" Which is going to take a backseat to "do I like the layout?"
Reminds me of all those House Buyer shows where the couple lists off how it hits virtually all of their convoluted wants and is the cheapest but "eh... the color of that rug/cabinets... pass"