Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

The elephant rifle was extremely disappointing. It's not even as good as the double-barrel shotgun; does a little more damage, but the shotgun has way more ammo capacity and options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
Yeah, I almost immediately went back to my bolt action. What good is all that damage if you can't one- or two- or three- or four-shot a legendary? Its sketchy accuracy and eternal reload times means the I'm mostly a sitting (er, kiting) duck when fighting a legendary predator. With my regular rifle, at least I can keep putting lead on a target, and a few misses doesn't mean I'm doomed.

On another note, I'd really love to craft that buck charm. The required Dane necklace has been showing as unavailable on jeanropke for the past 3 out of 4 days. On the day it was available, I went to get it, picked it up, and the server disco'd me during the pick-up animation (before it registered in my inventory). And, of course, it was unavailable to pick up upon reload. What the hell, R*?

Disconnection and crash issues aside, though, wowza I'm loving this update. Naturalist is fun as hell, and the ability to fuel my trading business with legendary skins is a loving godsend. :h:

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
I only ended up with the Dane necklace by way of the Outlaw Pass - random collectibles packs late in the progression, and one was the Dane.

Finally harvested a Zizi beaver last night, heading to Oji Dam for the daily. Followed by murdering it and throwing on HORF to give to Cripps, who... wouldn't take it. :argh: Threw it by the fire and moonshined it, for that exquisite roast beaver smell - enjoy, Cripps!

Also made one last play before logoff for the Sapa cougar, and magdumped Xanax into it for the harvesting. (And got the KO shot as it was charging me to eat my face.)

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Flannelette posted:

The way the damage works for different ammo/guns is very janky my advice would be to watch videos because it changes weapon to weapon and distance.
HV can shoot through people so that kind of makes it a better just by have an extra feature.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8XW6yYQZYA

Also expect it to randomly change in patches probably.

Interesting video, thanks for posting. I think they must have changed the way explosive ammunition works in a patch in the last ~8-12 months or so. Or the rifles (specifically the Springfield) operate much differently, specifically with explosive ammo. I used to get into spats with posses and we'd tag each other with PiB + Springfield Explosive ammo at ranges literally 1500m or more in distance and we'd still one shot each other. But then again, that might just be how the springfield works specifically. I haven't had any conflicts with other high level players in a while so I haven't traded explosive rounds with anyone in really long time.

(Edit: watched more videos on that channel you linked and it looks like a ton of poo poo was changed over the last year. I rarely played over that time frame so that makes sense)

That said, keeping my Carcano loaded with Express ammo forever at this point. Though I am curious as to the inaccuracy he was referring to with the HV ammo. I hadn't noticed any innate inaccuracy when using it and it's all I've ever really used in my Lancaster Repeater.

fennesz fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Aug 28, 2020

Vord
Oct 27, 2007
I am very much becoming Dutch in online. I have a plan, I just need money! That being said what's the easiest way to get money currently?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Collector.

Keep your daily streak going for gold as well. Gold can be used as a substitute for cash in a lot of situations and is an excellent use for it after you got all the roles, a club membership, and a black arabian.

Vord
Oct 27, 2007

Zesty posted:

Collector.

I see you're familiar with my plan.

What's the best way to go about filling out these collections? Any of them particularly easy to do compared to the others? I already despise looking for arrowheads.

quote:

Keep your daily streak going for gold as well. Gold can be used as a substitute for cash in a lot of situations and is an excellent use for it after you got all the roles, a club membership, and a black arabian.

I've also kept this up since I started playing last month. Shame the multiplier doesn't go up further. Almost lost the streak a few times due to lovely real life problems.

Vord fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Aug 30, 2020

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
There's an online map for all the collector items here:
https://jeanropke.github.io/RDR2CollectorsMap/

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

it also works for treasure maps and those pay a bit too

winter.mute
Jan 5, 2010
Anyone else meet a nearly naked old man hanging out in their camp online lately?

Rode into my camp in Cholla Springs to drop off some animal bits for Cripps and he tells me there's someone he's never seen before waiting for me by the fire. Also says the guy seems to know me, turns out to be an old dude with not much on who asks for some cooked meat. Gave him some and he eats it and just walks away into the wilderness. Followed him for a bit but he didn't interact with me again so I went back to hunting.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Vord posted:

I see you're familiar with my plan.

What's the best way to go about filling out these collections? Any of them particularly easy to do compared to the others? I already despise looking for arrowheads.

Honestly the best way to fill out your collections is to just ride around with your metal detector out all the time and toggle eagle eye when you near a spot that might have a collector spawn - just so you can see the yellow glowies they give off in the distance. Just be aware that if your metal detector is out you won't get the vibration of any collector items that don't require the metal detector to find. And as I type this out I realize that PC folks probably have a lot harder time collecting with KB+M because using vibration to find stuff is so, so helpful. Having Bounty Hunter leveled up so you can travel at any speed while using eagle eye is also unfathomably helpful.

But honestly parking yourself near a butcher (Valentine, Rhodes and Tumbleweed have all been really great for me) and just filling your horse with any game you can find and running back to the butcher to sell ASAP I still think is one of the best ways to make money. I did this way back in beta before roles were released and never really found myself wanting for money. The big downside is that it is boring as gently caress, whereas Collecting you can just ride around to any areas of the map you find interesting and make bank.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
re Collecting, should I be selling dupes I pick up or just hoarding them all for full sets?

spaced ninja
Apr 10, 2009

Toilet Rascal
Just horde them. I usually will sell a few singles if I’m at 10 of a thing but turning in full sets is by far the best exp/money. I’m not sure if they changed the weekly collector quest or not but it also used to not be worth doing at all compared to a full set.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Always turn in full sets. You can have 10 of each collectible.

Scherloch
Oct 28, 2010

Yeah!

fennesz posted:

Honestly the best way to fill out your collections is to just ride around with your metal detector out all the time and toggle eagle eye when you near a spot that might have a collector spawn - just so you can see the yellow glowies they give off in the distance. Just be aware that if your metal detector is out you won't get the vibration of any collector items that don't require the metal detector to find. And as I type this out I realize that PC folks probably have a lot harder time collecting with KB+M because using vibration to find stuff is so, so helpful. Having Bounty Hunter leveled up so you can travel at any speed while using eagle eye is also unfathomably helpful.

But honestly parking yourself near a butcher (Valentine, Rhodes and Tumbleweed have all been really great for me) and just filling your horse with any game you can find and running back to the butcher to sell ASAP I still think is one of the best ways to make money. I did this way back in beta before roles were released and never really found myself wanting for money. The big downside is that it is boring as gently caress, whereas Collecting you can just ride around to any areas of the map you find interesting and make bank.

I've honestly been enjoying the Collector role more since they randomized the valuable collections. Since you're no longer guaranteed to be able to fill out these sets in a day, I no longer do the long-rear end runs for all of them. Now I just have my metal detector out and dig up whatever it points me to. I'll also drop by spots I know can have collectibles, and sometimes I find one. Basically, I'm playing Collector like Rockstar probably intended it to be played.

I guess it also helps that I finally decided to focus on Trader. $500 every two sessions or so is decent money, and a nice enough replacement for the loss of income for collecting. Hunting is also a lot more fun than roaming from collectible to collectible, so while the return is lower, I'm actually doing something I enjoy. I also went ahead and got myself the solo lobby fix (PC) during the 50% Trader bonus reward week just so I could do long distance deliveries for $940 a pop.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Scherloch posted:

I've honestly been enjoying the Collector role more since they randomized the valuable collections. Since you're no longer guaranteed to be able to fill out these sets in a day, I no longer do the long-rear end runs for all of them. Now I just have my metal detector out and dig up whatever it points me to. I'll also drop by spots I know can have collectibles, and sometimes I find one. Basically, I'm playing Collector like Rockstar probably intended it to be played.

I guess it also helps that I finally decided to focus on Trader. $500 every two sessions or so is decent money, and a nice enough replacement for the loss of income for collecting. Hunting is also a lot more fun than roaming from collectible to collectible, so while the return is lower, I'm actually doing something I enjoy. I also went ahead and got myself the solo lobby fix (PC) during the 50% Trader bonus reward week just so I could do long distance deliveries for $940 a pop.

I feel fortunate that I've always been able to play Collector like that. I had a decent bankroll when Collector rolled out and I've always just roamed the map wherever I felt like (usually for daily challenges) and just hoovered up stuff in between. Even so, I have a ludicrous amount of money, even after my post-Naturalist update spending spree.

I do really enjoy that Rockstar rewards consistent exploration and map traversal in spades via Collector and random events. One of my biggest complaints about RDO at launch (among many) was that it didn't incentivize anything other than Showdowns or just hunting and hauling carcasses back to butchers ASAP. Really glad that's not the case anymore!

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

re Collecting, should I be selling dupes I pick up or just hoarding them all for full sets?

I usually sell down all of my duplicates down to 5. The rarer ones (Golden Dollars, Golden Quarters, Obsidian Arrowheads, etc.) never sell regardless of how many you have. Especially now that the expensive sets are truly randomized.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

FuturePastNow posted:

The elephant rifle was extremely disappointing. It's not even as good as the double-barrel shotgun; does a little more damage, but the shotgun has way more ammo capacity and options.

Yeah, it's weird that a rifle caliber doesn't have the same range as a shotgun loaded with slugs. .45-90 is absolutely capable of shooting out to 1000 yards and then some.

Hopefully we get the buffalo rifle back and it's good and perfect in every way as it was in RDR1

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
I'm itching for a new game after finishing witcher 3. I've seen mixed reviews; what say you goons? Worth paying full price?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
You interested in Single Player or online?

I really enjoyed Single Player. I wouldn't pay 60 bucks for it though.

Online is a constant disappointment.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
I really don't know anything about the online component of the game. I'm mainly interested in SP, but if MP were good I wouldn't balk.

But yeah I read that it's a shitshow.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
The sp owns, especially if you're gonna enjoy roaming around on your horse in gorgeous scenery

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

Trivia posted:

I'm itching for a new game after finishing witcher 3. I've seen mixed reviews; what say you goons? Worth paying full price?

the story and the characters are great as is exploring the world on your horse

the controls can feel a little obtuse at first and the overall pace of player actions is very slow but if you can get past that it's an incredibly realised cowboy rpg

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

Yeah, SP is awesome.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

As others have said, save them, but... There are some items I tend to pick up way more often than others, so 5 is my usual threshold for selling extras. Personal preference, though.

Vord posted:

I am very much becoming Dutch in online. I have a plan, I just need money! That being said what's the easiest way to get money currently?

If you already have the roles leveled up a bit, you're a fool if you're not converting Naturalist legendary pelts into Trader materials. Right now it's by far the easiest way to generate passive income while you're out there having fun.

The sp owns, especially if you're gonna enjoy roaming around on your horse in gorgeous scenery

Probably an unpopular opinion, but: once you've completed the SP game, Online also owns. Grief from PvPers is rarely a bother, and I prefer roaming around with a custom character. For all its many, many, many, many, many bugs, errors, and flaws, RDO is honestly one of the most lovely, immersive gaming experiences I've had in years.

Scherloch
Oct 28, 2010

Yeah!

Trivia posted:

It's a great game, up there with Witcher 3 in terms quality. I prefer RDR2, simply because I think the open world is better. It feels more alive and is more fun to explore.

If you're on PC, it's $42 on Greenmangaming for the next 10 hours.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I greatly prefer the online mode because I get to make my own character and do whatever I want. The main character in story mode didn't click with me like Marston did, and the story in general feels bland, and like I'm being forced to make one bad decision after another. After playing online just once I still haven't gone back to story mode.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
What's the main gripe of online? Too much fuckery from cheaters and griefers?

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

Trivia posted:

What's the main gripe of online? Too much fuckery from cheaters and griefers?

it's a bit lifeless and a bit of a grind compared to the sp and up until very recently animal spawns were completely broken

there was a patch recently that addressed a lot of bugs and it's generally much better now but it still suffers from connection issues fairly often

cheaters and griefers are out there but not very common in my experience

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Single player owns bones and is totally worth full price imo. As others have said, the controls take a little bit to get used to, but once you get your hands around them the game is a ton of fun, I'd also rate it up there with W3 as one of the most memorably good games I've ever played.

I desperately want to like online, because there is the seed of a very good idea in there, but the bugs just kill the experience for me right now, I can't enjoy myself wondering if each loading screen is going to make me have to restart the game.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Cheaters are extremely common. The content is really weak, especially compared to single player. Lobbies for structured PVP don’t get populated properly.

The only fun thing to do is to pick fights in free roam. People take the grind very seriously, just like GTA.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I loaded up the game yesterday and...

It went fine? No disconnects, it let me do what I wanted to do, and there were actually animals to hunt.

This is all I really want out of RS at the end of the day, just let me play what's already there.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Trivia posted:

if a full price game aint a financial issue for you, 100% yes, if you have the hankering for a great SP game, do it.

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Fertilizing threads since 2010

Trivia posted:

Don't pay full price for this game - it goes on sale all the time

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Fertilizing threads since 2010
1 easy trick to make RDO fun: play on ps4 lmao

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Zesty posted:

You interested in Single Player or online?

I really enjoyed Single Player. I wouldn't pay 60 bucks for it though.

Online is a constant disappointment.

If this game isn't worth $60 then what game possibly is?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
:thunk:

Professorjuggalo
Oct 22, 2019

by Cyrano4747
I hate MP and still dumped 120ish hours between two playthroughs

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

There's just so much effort jam packed into every aspect of the creation of this game. Its clearly a labor of love made by people with a passion for their work with easily over 100 hours of content. How is that not worth $60?

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

There's just so much effort jam packed into every aspect of the creation of this game. Its clearly a labor of love made by people with a passion for their work with easily over 100 hours of content. How is that not worth $60?

The controls for this game are as if i took a year or two long break off an MMO and I came back to play the new stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

Zesty posted:

Cheaters are extremely common. The content is really weak, especially compared to single player. Lobbies for structured PVP don’t get populated properly.

The only fun thing to do is to pick fights in free roam. People take the grind very seriously, just like GTA.

for what it's worth I've been playing this game every day over a month and I've only encountered one cheater and they were just doing chill stuff like spawning ufo's everywhere so ymmv on this point

also the majority of other players are chill and will just tip their hat or ride right past you rather than actively grief