Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.
Rightly panned at the time of release in 2017, but since 2020 could we now consider it ahead of its time?

A group of idiots clinging to their ARs spread a parasitic disease because they don't wear PPE. Their incompetent leader makes it worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Nah still bad

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Amarcarts posted:

A group of idiots clinging to their ARs spread a parasitic disease because they don't wear PPE. Their incompetent leader makes it worse.

lol

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating
Dude I gently caress with covenant and prometheus honestly but mostly for the sfx and sick visuals

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
No it's fantastic now. Because of this vague connection to current events I'm seeing everything in a new light. What I once perceived as terrible acting I now see as people struggling to cope with reading their lines. What once looked like hackneyed editing now looks like the deranged art of a man who hasn't seen daylight for weeks.

Goreld
May 8, 2002

"Identity Crisis" MurdererWild Guess Bizarro #1Bizarro"Me am first one I suspect!"

Amarcarts posted:

Rightly panned at the time of release in 2017, but since 2020 could we now consider it ahead of its time?

If you want a good movie about violating quarantine and not following safety protocols watch the original Alien, which happens to not suck.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

I don't think masking up would help a xenomorph, the 2nd mouth will go right thru if it yawns

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal
I saw it with high expectations based on what I'd heard but found it kind of disappointing.

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

:dukedog:
the bad guy's last line is "don't let the bed bugs bite" as he puts the survivors in cryostasis.

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

people always criticized the scene from prometheus where she runs straight away from the falling thing, but as many youtube videos of falling trees have shown us, this is exactly what people do

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

I actually forgot that piece of poo poo existed

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I feel like the trick to liking the new Alien movies is realizing that they're basically a weird synthesis of the ideas of Alien and the ideas of Blade Runner.

Like, everyone shits on the whole angle where the humans are all kinda dumb, but... that's kind of the point. It's a story about creations surpassing their creator; the Engineers were a race of psychotic assholes that somehow managed to crap out humanity, and humanity in turn is a flawed, stupid species that created its own successor in synthetics. David is fundamentally no different from Roy Batty except that he doesn't have the time limit.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

It was a huge let down because of some plot stuff that was cut in the theatrical release and because I was hyped for it.

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

I liked the part where the robot taught the other robot how to masterbate (play the flute)

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Goreld posted:

If you want a good movie about violating quarantine and not following safety protocols watch the original Alien, which happens to not suck.

It does carry the message that the working class should not trust scientists as they are in the pocket of the industrial-military complex and you should ignore their advice.

Which is a little unfortunate in today's times.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
It was cool and good, in a world of endless remakes and reboots actually doing new things with a franchise is admirable even if it makes the nerds mad because they just want the same familiar product regurgitated into their waiting maws. Compared Prometheus and Covenant to the Terminator sequels or the Predator sequels and its night and day in terms of trying new things versus endlessly chasing the dragon of your first two hits and always coming up short while drowning in more and more Canon and Lore.

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat
I like the part where James Franco dies before you even realise its James Franco.

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

:dukedog:

Fatty posted:

I like the part where James Franco dies before you even realise its James Franco.

To quote the director, he goes "off into infinity for infinity. forever in infinity"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDBr3xbgu0o

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Amarcarts posted:

Unfortunately not.I wish the film just needed time, but holy poo poo everyone on that ship was beyond stupid and useless. They had no business going out into space, much less being allowed to leave a padded room. Promethus thankfully got better with time, even if it does suffer some of the same issues.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Why is Ridley Scott making a Gladiator 2??????

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Fatty posted:

I like James Franco. :colbert:

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:
It's fine, OP, and it always was.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Just so you all remember, there is a super good thread in GBS made by some loving genius dude who obviously hangs magnum dong.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3883563

I even got Michael Biehn's drunk rear end to say the words Something Awful (I had to trick him).

Just a head's up.

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAAhg2JvwrU

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

he tried to make the prometheus sequel appease prometheus haters, by stapling on a bit where the xeno is Jason.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Humans spread out like bugs.
Space aliens spread out like bugs.

When they meet, they fight really hard.

There can be no answer because the writers derived no answers from thinking about it.
It's just a plot device to make you think about 'eternal struggle' and feel the emotional response of 'angst', most especially when viewing the series as a sum total of its work.

You'll always want for an answer because the goal of the creators of the fiction is for you to always want for that feeling of completion.

You'll never get it because the writers and creators are as human as you are, plus, they want to make money making you feel that way. There is no deeper meaning.

Thanks.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

A good modern Alien adaptation sort of is Pandorum

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Prometheus was disappointing but in a good way. Covenant was disappointing but in a bad way. I hope this helps.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I saw some YouTubers doing hot takes about how everyone missed the point with Covenant and it's actually a brilliant mad scientist movie disguised as an Alien retread. It felt really forced and fart-smelling. What is it with losers and thinking that clarifying the intent will make bad execution palatable?

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

I think covenant is the one where they land on the wrong planet and find that their predecessors genocided the locals with the aliens right? That was pretty dumb especially with that dumbass twist in the end

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

BRING IT ON BRING IT ON YEAH

Colonel Cancer posted:

I don't think masking up would help a xenomorph, the 2nd mouth will go right thru if it yawns

Go on...

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I watched a synopsis of the aliens franchise video on youtube that sums the whole thing up in less than 8 minutes and it concludes:

"It's a circular story that the writers can't finish because they boxed themselves into not knowing if humans, androids, or the aliens were/are the predominant species so we can keep writing this poo poo as a circular loop forever."

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

Colonel Cancer posted:

Yeah if it’s just a surgical mask. But what about an n95

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

does anyone care actually?

like does anyone care what happened to the montegues after the fact?

is there a shakespear expanded universe???

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

which sounds neat until you realize that

"No actually you can just say they won. Period."

And have waaay less traction in the sci fi world than star wars or whatever.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

numberoneposter posted:

That's what I'm saying

Almost no one asked for a sequel to this. Let alone ... this.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Big Beef City posted:

That's what I'm saying

Almost no one asked for a sequel to this. Let alone ... this.
i enjoyed 'metheus enough and even covenant because it seemed like the cast and crew cared a lot but the director is way way past his prime, but yah covenant was like uhhhhhhhh and the ending to the 'metheus was just sequel bait

just end it cowards

also blade runner 2049 is better than the original

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

numberoneposter posted:

I'd watch Romeo and Juliet 2: this time it's personal

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

mind the walrus posted:

I saw some YouTubers doing hot takes about how everyone missed the point with Covenant and it's actually a brilliant mad scientist movie disguised as an Alien retread. It felt really forced and fart-smelling. What is it with losers and thinking that clarifying the intent will make bad execution palatable?

Basically, "fan" anything is going to be incredibly weird, pedantic, and extreme and overemotional bullshit.

Yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Ok cards on the table. I don't actually remember which one this is and nothing anyone posted in this thread is giving me any clues.