Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Last week I broke my driver's shaft in half in a moment of pure stupidity. Fortunately it was the club I was kind of already looking to replace. This week I've gone and hit a few, and from a value/performance standpoint I've come away leaning towards a Ping G400. Anyone here play one?

Also was it know that Rory was about to be a dad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Kirios posted:

As a relatively newer poster to this megathread, do y'all ever do WITBs? I'm really curious what everyone else rocks around here.

I'll bite

D - Callaway Rogue Driver
3W, 5W - Callaway Big Bertha Fusion
4I - AW - GigaGolf TRX Irons
SW - Callaway MD3
LW - Ben Hogan Equalizer
Putter - Odyssey Red 2-Ball

I'm not a super Callaway fan boy, but I do really enjoy their pre-owned shop. The only thing I'm not terribly happy about is the irons and the driver. Don't get me wrong, the irons are ok, but I do think that I am leaving some yards in the bag. My reward for when I'm down to 15 handicap is a fitting and new irons.

The driver is not great, but that's probably because I can't hit it for poo poo. One day, I hit 12 fairways, the other, I miss every single one. I'd like to take at least one driver focused lesson, and then get fitted properly.

PS. That Ben Hogan wedge is loving sick

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

WITB without pics is useless :colbert:

Anno posted:

Last week I broke my driver's shaft in half in a moment of pure stupidity. Fortunately it was the club I was kind of already looking to replace. This week I've gone and hit a few, and from a value/performance standpoint I've come away leaning towards a Ping G400. Anyone here play one?

Also was it know that Rory was about to be a dad?
I think mattfl and Petey have the G410 LST. G400 is also good.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Aug 30, 2020

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Josh Lyman posted:

WITB without pics is useless :colbert:

I think mattfl and Petey have the G410 LST. G400 is also good.

True enough

Not pictured is the Original Jones Bag my wife got me for my birthday; best gift she's ever gotten me. Unfortunately, it's not great for use on a cart, and it's too hot to walk, which is a mega bummer.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Once I get my Exo 7 putter late next week I promise I'll do a WITB complete with pics. I don't want to spoil anything, but I bet I will have the most interesting bag here. Stay tuned!

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Ping G15 driver
Cobra f speed 3 wood
Callaway FT fusion 5 wood
Ping i15 23* hybrid
Ping s-56 irons (5-PW)
Ping 52* wedge (forget what type)
Mizuno 56* wedge (it’s blue)
Cleveland 60* wedge
Mattfl’s old nike putter

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...
Callaway FTiz Driver
Titleist 909F 3 Wood
Titleist 585H 19' Hybrid
Callaway Steelhead X-16 4-Pw
Titleist Vokey SM 52' - 08
Titleist Vokey SM 56' - 14
Nike Vr Pro 60' - 10
Odyssey White Hot XG #1

All are ebay/gumtree clubs except for the 52, 60 and putter. There are some backup clubs that are also off ebay (Odyssey 2-ball, 3-iron and SW from the iron set, 909H 19' Hybrid) but this is the stuff that seems to work best.

My driver had a cracked shaft for a couple of years so I switched to a yellow square Nike driver that also came with some of the other clubs I got off ebay. It made a horrendous noise and I never hit it well so I finally ditched it and got a new shaft for the FTiz. Since the first time I started using it again, I was suddenly hitting my old distance and hitting more fairways. That Nike thing probably wasted two years of my golfing life.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Cobra King F8+ Driver
Mizuno GT180 3 Wood
Callaway X Forged Utility/Driving Iron
Adams XTD 3-PW (minus 4 iron, it’s also time to replace these entirely)
Scratch Golf 8620 50*, 56*, 60* Wedges, RIP
Bettinardi SS15 Putter

2021 may be a bag overhaul year

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
My irons are all 1° flat and standard length the iron shafts are soft stepped 1x from stiff. Driver is 45.25".

I sold the 5w as once I got a 3h I never used it anymore - so now I have room to go back to 54° and 58° wedges instead of just 56° if I want.

I'm the droopy driver headcover. :smith:

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Clubs are in my trunk so no pic but here's mine-

Ping G410 Driver, 45" set at 8*
Ping G410 5W set down 1.5* or something
Cally Apex 3+4 hybrids
Mizuno MP20 blade 5-PW, +.5" and 2* upright
Cleveland RTX4 50/54/58, +.5" and 2* upright
Cleveland putter, it's like a Huntington Beach #1 but different.

I don't even know if the putter is still being made, I got it as part of the full bag of cleveland clubs I won on my trip a few years ago and it is working pretty good.

I'm thinking of swapping out my MP20 5i for something else a little more forgiving because although I hit the rest of the set really well, I don't have much confidence with the 5i in comparison. 6i carries 180-185 and my 4hy carries about 200-205 so I need something to fit in there that I can hit high and stop it. My home course has a par three and a par five where that is an important club for me to have.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

DJ’s putt on 18 one of the most clutch putts I’ve ever seen.

Edit: scratch that, Rahms was better holy poo poo.

Douchebag fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Aug 31, 2020

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

This is some of the craziest poo poo I've ever seen. Wtf man.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
And Rahm would have won outright if he hadn't gotten the bonehead.penalty for picking up his ball.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Keyser_Soze posted:

My irons are all 1° flat and standard length the iron shafts are soft stepped 1x from stiff. Driver is 45.25".

I sold the 5w as once I got a 3h I never used it anymore - so now I have room to go back to 54° and 58° wedges instead of just 56° if I want.

I'm the droopy driver headcover. :smith:

What app did you use for the bag profile? I really dig it.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Kirios posted:

What app did you use for the bag profile? I really dig it.
That looks like a signature from The Hackers Paradise forums

Huskers
May 9, 2009
I haven't made any updates to my bag in a while, there's probably a pic in the archives or something.

Titleist 913D3 8.5* Tour AD BB7X
Titleist 913FD 15* Tour AD BB8X
TM RBZ Hybrid 18.5* Aldila RIPX
Titleist 690MB (3)4-PW ProjectX 6.5
Vokey 52F, (54M), 58M, 62T
Scotty Pro Plat Newport 2

All standard L/L/L

I change the wedges or hybrid/3 iron depending on where I'm playing.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

As this thread knows, I've been searching for a new putter for a few years. The Nike Method Mod 90 and PXG Dagger have been on the shortlist but I could never find one for a decent price. I like both of these putters but I wish I could try them out before buying.

This Mod 90 just got listed on Ebay. Starting bid is $110 so I should be able to get it for under $150.

Meanwhile, PXG is discontinuing the Dagger and has lowered the price to $175. However, it's the version with a TPE insert:

There's an Ebay auction for the solid 303 stainless version that I'd prefer but it's listed for $270 so I doubt the seller would accept $200:

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Aug 31, 2020

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
If anyone has patterns for sewing your own headcovers, let me know. I have a woman making me a driver headcover out of an old soccer jersey I sent her but I'm curious to see if I could make some myself.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Josh Lyman posted:

That looks like a signature from The Hackers Paradise forums

yeah, it's that and it looks like they don't support it anymore....oh well.

Unknownmass
Nov 3, 2007
I second Josh that we needs pics.

Callaway X2 Hot 9.5*
Callaway X2 Hot 13.5*
Titliest 712 U 21* w/ 105g Xstiff shaft
Callaway 07 XForged 4-P
Nike Engage 52 & 58
Nike Method Putter

Most of my bag could use some upgrades. Curious about recommendations for recent years equipment like the G400 series, and recent irons to check out.

Unknownmass fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Aug 31, 2020

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Seriously you guys have gotta do pics, it defeats the purpose of WITB's if we can't oogle your gear.

All my stuff should be in by Wednesday, so I'll post my pic then so you guys can make fun of it.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
While at my parent's house last weekend planning some wedding stuff with my fiance, I grabbed my old yearbooks. Found this gem in one of them and had to sadly inform my fiance that I was already betrothed to someone else though I think she may have traded up.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Somehow she looks older in that picture than she does now.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I went to 2 different high schools and I’m pretty sure nobody ended up doing anything famous.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
I don't know what this thread thinks of PXG but they're having some pretty heavy sales right now, like 50% off all their drivers.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:

Petey posted:

I don't know what this thread thinks of PXG but they're having some pretty heavy sales right now, like 50% off all their drivers.

So they're only 3x the price of other drivers instead of 6x.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Daric posted:

So they're only 3x the price of other drivers instead of 6x.

Their drivers are now the same price as Ping G410s, it looks like...and their starter irons are down to $89 a club from $225.

Petey fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Sep 2, 2020

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
I haven't hit the newest line of PXG woods, but all of the previous ones have been total garbage.

Their irons, however, feel excellent and if the price was competitive with Mizuno/Srixon/Titlist/etc, I'd definitely consider actually buying them.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

BCRock posted:

I haven't hit the newest line of PXG woods, but all of the previous ones have been total garbage.

Their irons, however, feel excellent and if the price was competitive with Mizuno/Srixon/Titlist/etc, I'd definitely consider actually buying them.

If I'm ever good enough to upgrade from my M4 irons (I won't be), the veteran pricing on the PXG irons for a custom fit makes it super tempting.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
I played my first game of golf and it’s good, but I’m bad. That’s my golf story

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat

SquirrelGrip posted:

I played my first game of golf and it’s good, but I’m bad. That’s my golf story

That story won’t change

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
I played a funky course in Houston today called Southwyck. Very strange course. Conditioning was awful, greens had just been punched, the fairways were basically destroyed, and the rough was entirely overgrown weeds.

The first Par 3 you come to is 235 yards. It’s full of blind shots, quite a few elevation changes, and a lot of water as the bayou runs through it. I don’t know who they think is playing this course but the layout and conditioning don’t mix.

Probably won’t go back.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Daric posted:

I played a funky course in Houston today called Southwyck. Very strange course. Conditioning was awful, greens had just been punched, the fairways were basically destroyed, and the rough was entirely overgrown weeds.

The first Par 3 you come to is 235 yards. It’s full of blind shots, quite a few elevation changes, and a lot of water as the bayou runs through it. I don’t know who they think is playing this course but the layout and conditioning don’t mix.

Probably won’t go back.

Jesus.

https://www.golfadvisor.com/courses/3229-southwyck-golf-club

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Every single bunker on the course had a sign saying it was a free drop if you hit in there. They were all full of rocks and very packed dirt.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

$25 gets you the round and two beers though, that’s a bargain...

They respond to every review. Desperation is a stinky cologne

Willzilla
Aug 16, 2006

Rawr
Took Friday off to play 18 at Forest Park (STL). I have 3 weeks of vacation to take by the end of the year and 3 day weekends + golf is very appealing. Might make it a lil’ habit since weekends are mostly spent w/ the baby

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I’m playing Friday, first time in 2 months. Excited to try out my 3 wood with overpriced reshaft and putter with new crooked grip. :v:

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Sep 3, 2020

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

BCRock posted:

I don’t know anything about PXG other than “monomaniacal founder and high prices” but a buddy just got a set so I set up a two hour fitting for next week just to see what they’re like. $50 (used to be free before the pandemic) so we'll see what it's like!

Petey fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Sep 3, 2020

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
Anyone have any experience with how Calloway pre owned handles damaged shipments? I just checked my tracking number and UPS said they would “notify the seller” but I haven’t heard anything.

Thought I was going to have a new putter tomorrow for our charity tournament, FML.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Francesco Molinari, whom you may have noticed has yet to return to play, was spotted yesterday playing a money game with Anthony Kim.

Do with that what you will.