Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

Robot Style posted:

The first movie's fight choreography also had to content with the in-camera lightsaber effect they were trying - the blades were wrapped in reflective movie screen material, and the hilts had motors that would rotate them in order to make them flicker. The sabers also had wires that ran up the actors sleeves to battery packs, so they were pretty clumsy to use and had to stay in very specific places in order to actually reflect the light correctly.

Was not aware of this this. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Robot Style posted:

The latest release on Disney+ has it fixed (which comes from the 4K restoration Lucas was working on before the sale), but placemat lore had already retconned that as being a result of Vader's Sith lightsaber having the ability to break an opponent's blade due to its powerful synthetic crystal.

:wtc:

Seriously? This is so goddamn dumb. I can't believe I didn't know about this. Do you have a link? It belongs firmly in the Corran Horn and Other Science Facts thread.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Robot Style posted:

The latest release on Disney+ has it fixed (which comes from the 4K restoration Lucas was working on before the sale), but placemat lore had already retconned that as being a result of Vader's Sith lightsaber having the ability to break an opponent's blade due to its powerful synthetic crystal.

christ

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

It's originally from the same Star Wars magazine article that invented a bunch of dumbass lightsaber forms to explain why there were more backflips in the prequels.

I've found some tiny scans of it online - it looks like it actually seems to imply the hosed up special effects are due to the "slow materialization" setting Obi-Wan used to prevent Vader from cutting through his lightsaber.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

We talkin' sabers?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIefj6dOhnM

misaligned rotosabers or bust

Vinylshadow fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Aug 26, 2020

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Are the forms even canon anymore? I remember always thinking they were a little bit silly and would never survive the Canon/Legends split but lol.

That "materialization" bullshit is actually kind of a clever in-universe workaround nobody asked for when the answer is "slower ignitions are more dramatic."

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I wonder what form baby Yoda will use

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/ZXdt8xr.mp4

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Robot Style posted:

It's originally from the same Star Wars magazine article that invented a bunch of dumbass lightsaber forms to explain why there were more backflips in the prequels.

I've found some tiny scans of it online - it looks like it actually seems to imply the hosed up special effects are due to the "slow materialization" setting Obi-Wan used to prevent Vader from cutting through his lightsaber.

The sacred Jedi texts!!!

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
The Obi-wan blade has been forever altered to me as a battery dying as Energizer noticed it too and made a commercial about it and it has permanently burned into my brain.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Robot Style posted:

The first movie's fight choreography also had to content with the in-camera lightsaber effect they were trying - the blades were wrapped in reflective movie screen material, and the hilts had motors that would rotate them in order to make them flicker. The sabers also had wires that ran up the actors sleeves to battery packs, so they were pretty clumsy to use and had to stay in very specific places in order to actually reflect the light correctly.
Olympic fencing uses wires too. The real reason that the fight was like it was is the combination of actor ability and the fact that most sword duels are two dudes tapping the ends of their blades together before one of them makes a mistake and gets cut.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Hazo posted:

Are the forms even canon anymore? I remember always thinking they were a little bit silly and would never survive the Canon/Legends split but lol.

That "materialization" bullshit is actually kind of a clever in-universe workaround nobody asked for when the answer is "slower ignitions are more dramatic."

The forms are still canon and mentioned by the Grand Inquisitor, Anakin, and Barriss Offee, as well as mentioned and given silly names like "Way of the Sarlacc" in the Knights of Fate sourcebook for FFG

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MRHbGjW-J8

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Robot Style posted:

I thought that was just the explanation for why Obi-Wan's lightsaber turns on pretty slowly in that scene, not that his saber is supposed to be actively breaking onscreen.

There's some amazing fight choreography these days, but there's also a lot of stuff that's just kinda pointlessly flashy and overelaborate, and generally it really suffers when people are just miming to empty air for props and enemies that will be inserted with effects. And pouring too much time and money into just the fight and being flashy is never as good as focusing on the lead in or trying to tell a story with the fight. A lot of the time you can do more with less.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

https://twitter.com/JPincorporated/status/1300189038163316736

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Hell yeah this is the good stuff

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012
Smooth Yoda

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

The :420: Repubic

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

working hard thank you

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Isn't this a literal tracing of some Lord of the Rings battle?

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

lmao holy poo poo

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Ingmar terdman posted:

working hard thank you

lol

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Hazo posted:

Isn't this a literal tracing of some Lord of the Rings battle?

To be more precise, it's a tracing of several different shots from Return of the King and Fellowship of the Ring. The Mumakil is obvious, The soldiers are Gondorians from the scene where the trolls break down the city gate. In the close up foreground the "artist" accidentally traced Rohan spears (the ones with the holes in the blade) instead of the Gondorian spears used by the soldiers in the mid ground. Behind the front line we see some human soldiers from The Last Alliance from the prologue of Fellowship of the Ring. And finally in the center background we have Gamling. Who is shooting his bow and arrow at the underside of a Mumakil from right before Theoden gets killed. But he was traced without context so he is shooting his bow at an empty sky in the opposite direction of the Sith army.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

galagazombie posted:

To be more precise, it's a tracing of several different shots from Return of the King and Fellowship of the Ring. The Mumakil is obvious, The soldiers are Gondorians from the scene where the trolls break down the city gate. In the close up foreground the "artist" accidentally traced Rohan spears (the ones with the holes in the blade) instead of the Gondorian spears used by the soldiers in the mid ground. Behind the front line we see some human soldiers from The Last Alliance from the prologue of Fellowship of the Ring. And finally in the center background we have Gamling. Who is shooting his bow and arrow at the underside of a Mumakil from right before Theoden gets killed. But he was traced without context so he is shooting his bow at an empty sky in the opposite direction of the Sith army.
What I really like about it is that it's so obviously a Mumakil that you can see where it's lower jaw and tusks were just left in the picture, and the trunk is in there too leading to the "artist" just sticking a vague horn out of the right nostril of the poor Styracosaurus that he stole the head from.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Completely forgot this was going to be a thing

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Have they even done anything with that yet, or is it just a promise of future lovely books

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDEZNN4Ei3A

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/f2lPS2C.gifv

Watch threepio nope the gently caress outta there...

Clever Moniker
Oct 29, 2007

Cartoon Man posted:

https://i.imgur.com/f2lPS2C.gifv

Watch threepio nope the gently caress outta there...

Lol

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Pro move TBH. Dude hasn't had his memory wiped in a while, but he knows it has happened. What's to stop it happening again?

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

get started on your covert amazon child profile now!

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

elf help book posted:

lmao holy poo poo

JoJo Fett

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

uber_stoat posted:

“Luminous beings are we…not this crude matter.”

Hazo