Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

2Jets
Apr 25, 2010

You're gonna get no tip

I dont know. Concealment is important but popping turrets off is fun. It's not that big of a difference though. I wouldn't retrain the crew for a .0x chance of ammo racking someone.

I would load more HEAT, and only take 3 HE (I've thrown so many games not penning with HE). At the very least use large kits, and cola. I know you are saving credits, but you're giving yourself a disadvantage especially at tier 10.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Is there a more quintessentially WoT thing than a bunch of dead people in chat calling the surviving people stupid cucks and shouting abuse at them for "losing the game", finishing up with a guy going "I blame our useless loving mediums", just as the useless loving mediums cap and win the game?

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Aug 27, 2020

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
The only tank I'd go out of my way to have Deadeye on would be a special crew for something like the 13/57.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret

2Jets posted:

I dont know. Concealment is important but popping turrets off is fun. It's not that big of a difference though. I wouldn't retrain the crew for a .0x chance of ammo racking someone.

I would load more HEAT, and only take 3 HE (I've thrown so many games not penning with HE). At the very least use large kits, and cola. I know you are saving credits, but you're giving yourself a disadvantage especially at tier 10.

Done deal. I also went ahead and upgraded optics and spotting people is a little easier now.

Also I went ahead and added bigger first aid and repair kits on my patton and ST-II. Those two are probably two of my best tanks at the tier and winning to earn bonds seems more valuable than getting 5k credits after every battle. So good thinking. I appreciate the help.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

There are few things I enjoy as much in this game as sending a message to T67 players saying "stat paaaaddddd, stat paaaadddd, stat paddddd". They never reply because deep down, they know they are trash.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

There are few things I enjoy as much in this game as sending a message to T67 players saying "stat paaaaddddd, stat paaaadddd, stat paddddd". They never reply because deep down, they know they are trash.

It's been a while since I played it but the t67 has basically zero armor, a decent gun and mobility with horrid turret traverse. Why would it be a stat padder?

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

One of the few things I can still enjoy in this rancid fuckfest of a game.

BitBasher posted:

It's been a while since I played it but the t67 has basically zero armor, a decent gun and mobility with horrid turret traverse. Why would it be a stat padder?
Because it's loving invisible and the weapon of choice when you're a shithead who needs to pick on low-tier newbies to validate your own existence/compensate for your sub-40% WR in anything above Tier V.

Edit:
Oh yeah, another marathon. EU server is about as much fun as pulling your own toenails out. With your teeth.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

Oh yeah, another marathon. World of Tanks is about as much fun as pulling your own toenails out. With your teeth.

Fixed that for ya.

After watching some videos of the tank in action I don't want to grind for it. That low base pen is a loving crime against humanity.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Because it's loving invisible and the weapon of choice when you're a shithead who needs to pick on low-tier newbies to validate your own existence/compensate for your sub-40% WR in anything above Tier V.

He ain't kidding. I was once killed by a T67 shooting from maybe 100 meters away and I just could not spot the motherfucker.

Mesadoram posted:

Fixed that for ya.

The EU server is a special new sewer level.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
E- wet fart

Katamari Democracy fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Aug 29, 2020

2Jets
Apr 25, 2010

You're gonna get no tip

BitBasher posted:

It's a tier 5 that's fast enough to move around the map and kill the muppets before the game ends.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

The Venn diagrams for stat padding and seal clubbing converge on the T67.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
Is there a "Clan" (GoonSquad) rolling around for World of Tanks: Blitz on the Switch, yet?

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames
i sold my t67 right when i got the hellcat

gently caress stats im dogshit sub-50 wr and will stay here til i get better

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

Der Shovel posted:

He ain't kidding. I was once killed by a T67 shooting from maybe 100 meters away and I just could not spot the motherfucker.

2Jets posted:

It's a tier 5 that's fast enough to move around the map and kill the muppets before the game ends.
Wow, okay thanks! I own one but I apparently only played, I believe, 16 games in it before moving up a tier. I had no idea!

EDIT: I have a philosophical question... I just unlocked the T49. To derp or not to derp?

BitBasher fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Aug 29, 2020

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
https://i.imgur.com/5NHHT3D.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/Zf7SAni.mp4

e;

https://i.imgur.com/1OEBsMq.mp4

MariusLecter fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Aug 29, 2020

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

UK lights are irredeemable.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Because I'm an idiot, I've been playing my Panther, and it's comical how real the power creep in this game is. A T7 tech tree medium just gets CLOWNED on by so many newer tech tree tanks and especially premiums.

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
Well the panther line is being buffed soon. They already done some of the other older ones so they do seem to want to keep the older tanks relevant.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Dravs posted:

Well the panther line is being buffed soon.

Oh word? Do we have any details or timelines yet? I might just have to hold off until then.

Captain Blaargh
Apr 27, 2007

Yeah yeah yeah. How about some Scotch whiskey? You got any of that around here, or just a bunch of nonsense words?

The E 50 line buffs are in super test so probably not too far out if they're happy with them.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
https://i.imgur.com/TVzmg6Q.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/8tayvGJ.mp4

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Alright guys, I haven't played in a while, been busy at work and taking a break for a couple other games. About two weeks ago, I got the CS-44, the Polish tier 7 MT, and this was my first battle in it:

http://wotreplays.eu/site/5526832?secret=32096e0ac00a7665211f2e49e576c542

I wasn't quite stock, definitely not elite. I loaded into that battle late (I think I crashed or had to force close) and around the 11:00 mark, ended up going NE to help that flank. I saved the Bougie's rear end, who thanks me by promptly turning around and ignoring me as I have to deal with a VK3001 solo. :psyduck: I survive that encounter with 18 HP to spare, and eventually have to carry that shitter's stupid rear end to a win. The tank felt OK, not a keeper, but boy did that first battle piss me off. That oblivious shitlord never did respond after I called him out in post-battle chat.

And I'm aware that the following comments are from over a week ago, sorry! :shrug:

McGavin posted:

The main problem I have with camo on mediums is that it's only situationally useful.

Here are a bunch of reasons why camo is not great:
- There are only a handful of maps where camo can be effective because most maps force engagements to take place at close range where camo doesn't matter.
- The camo skill is a bonus based on a percentage of base camo, and most mediums don't have enough base camo for it to make a significant difference.
- All the decent players are running around with max view range++ so you're spotted as soon as you enter view range if you aren't behind a bush.
- You can do things to compensate for not having good camo (double-bush, firing from outside view range, back up to make bushes opaque before firing, etc), but you can't do things to compensate for not having other skills.

Camo is a fine 4th skill (after repairs, BIA, and view range/gun handling perks), but it isn't necessary to take right off the bat.

BadLlama posted:

I disagree, in general 4th skill should be BIA. First three are General Repairs/Camo/Gunhandling poo poo.

Camo is basically important at two times, at the beginning when everyone is rushing to the 3 good spots on any map and then in closes games at the end when its just a few tanks left. Not having good camo in those two time frames isn't great for a medium.

I don't disagree with the Camo chat, but I have to chime in about the repeated BIA (and by extension, vents) misinformation. Those two options don't have any straight-up downsides, but they're really only viable when nothing else is, based on the way crew skills are calculated. In short, you're really only getting an effective +2.5% to everything (despite the "5%" description) because the crew skills are averaged (with a virtual 100% crewman) as opposed to a straight up bonus to an actual function (e.g. reload speed via rammer.) So BiA isn't "bad" but it's not an automatic 3rd skill/perk or whatever, because unless nothing else is a viable skill, +2.5% to everything translates to a tiny boost to things you care about for a given tank, and the rest is worthless (e.g. +2.5% camo on an HT.) Again, if nothing else is viable (for equipment or skills) then go for BiA/vents, but they're really only a last resort.

You don't even have to take my word for it, the in-game stats update with equipment & skills and will show you exactly how much (or little, rather,) benefit those two provide.

SpannerX posted:

I think it was said on Discord that you are better off keeping them than selling them? It might have been because if you get them again you get more credits if you already have them in your garage? I might be wrong there though.

Generally you should keep those gift tanks, because at best you're only getting a garage slot (150 gold on sale) and a pitiful amount of credits. But then when you get extra copies of the tanks they can occasionally provide further benefit, like in this instance where duplicate tanks are worth extra reward tokens or whatever.

TracerM17 posted:

The Bourrrrrrrrrrasque for gold? I don't recall seeing that. They were selling some bourrrrrrrrrasque AND gold packages. Maybe that was it?

Ah, you're referring to the "Borat!" :eng101:

BitBasher posted:

Isn't Blitz an entirely different game that just shares the name?

Yeah, kinda, it's a different engine (Unity?) but it's a mobile version of WoT that's awfully faithful to the PC version. You can actually play the Blitz version on PC as well, via either Steam or the Windows store app.

BitBasher posted:

Wow, okay thanks! I own one but I apparently only played, I believe, 16 games in it before moving up a tier. I had no idea!

EDIT: I have a philosophical question... I just unlocked the T49. To derp or not to derp?

The howitzer on the T49 is like 0.6 accuracy with a 5 second aim time or something (and that's not a 100% aim-in time either.) It's the comedy option, and you can make it work, but the 90 mm is the more reliable option.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

Atomizer posted:

The howitzer on the T49 is like 0.6 accuracy with a 5 second aim time or something (and that's not a 100% aim-in time either.) It's the comedy option, and you can make it work, but the 90 mm is the more reliable option.

Thanks. As it turns out I'm able to make the 90 work way better than I would have expected. It's turn radius is so much worse than the Bulldog that I find it way harder to use as a mobile scout though, but the firepower evens it out. I don't have all the modules yet, hopefully that will help some...

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost
Is anybody else having an issue with the game freezing for 3-5 seconds if you hit ctrl or esc during battle? I cleaned out my replay folder and I don't use mods, not sure what else to try other than reinstall or wait for another update in hopes it fixes it. Seemed to start recently. Didn't seem like anybody else is complaining about it when I googled.

TracerM17 fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Aug 30, 2020

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

TracerM17 posted:

Is anybody else having an issue with the game freezing for 3-5 seconds if you hit ctrl or esc during battle? I cleaned out my replay folder and I don't use mods, not sure what else to try other than reinstall or wait for another update in hopes it fixes it. Seemed to start recently. Didn't seem like anybody else is complaining about it when I googled.

No, but, I'm presuming that the game is loading resources when you do that, although it really should already have them cached, and shouldn't have much to load (i.e. a mouse cursor, and the menus?) The one thing to note is that the interface still apparently is based on Flash...which even Adobe has abandoned, so.... :yikes:

The French Army
Mar 28, 2013

:france: Honneur et Patrie :france:

eightysixed posted:

Is there a "Clan" (GoonSquad) rolling around for World of Tanks: Blitz on the Switch, yet?

Seconding this. The demise of my PC rid me of the WOT curse but now it's back on the Switch. Pubbies remain terrible.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

I finally got around to watching this and wanted to give you some helpful criticism.

At first, I noticed you taking a lot of high-risk, low-reward shots, e.g. at bowl turrets that were never going to pen, at the sharply-angled sides of tanks, at slivers of tanks behind walls that were very likely to hit the wall (e.g. around the castle.) It's one thing to take a long-range pixel shot that probably won't even hit because it's low-risk, high-reward, but many of the shots you were taking were clearly not going to pen, and because you were fighting at close range those shots fired make you vulnerable. The damage done and win are all the more impressive, but quite lucky, because the enemy never really pressured you while you were reloading.

Second, you fired a lot of shots halfway through the reload of a second shell. In general, auto-reloaders and double-penetrators should be played as single-shot tanks for maximum DoT, but if you do have multiple shots reloading, you need to be mindful of the reload status of the next shell. Often you took a shot well into the reload of the 2nd shell, where waiting merely 2-3 more seconds would have completed the reload of that shell, and never was taking that shot immediately going to secure a kill or save your life.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I can't believe WG are still allowing three arty per team matches. One per team is fine, but it's 2 or even 3 in pretty much every game and it loving suuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks.

I realize this must be hot news to everyone, but it's striking me again after I took a few months off from the game.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

Der Shovel posted:

I can't believe WG are still allowing three arty per team matches. One per team is fine, but it's 2 or even 3 in pretty much every game and it loving suuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks.

I realize this must be hot news to everyone, but it's striking me again after I took a few months off from the game.

It's funny that you mention this. I was watching Sofilein on twitch last night, and she was going off about the 3 arty thing. Her solution was to just give up and play in the SA server. :)

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
1 arty is fine I feel, it does help dig out people who just want to camp. 2 is the max of you want to play the game but 3 arty actually increases camping because as soon as anyone tries to do anything active they just get nuked.

At least you can no longer get 10 arty a side anymore like the old days, although at least that was funny I guess.

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

im fine with 3 arties if rest of team is light tanks buzzing around murdering those arties. Because that game felt great as light tank player.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

Der Shovel posted:

I apologize in advance for what is likely to be an unpopular post:

It used to be unlimited arty per team! 3 *is* the improvement!

It helps to play arty for a while and you will die to them a lot less. I have well over 1000 games in Arty from years ago when I played when the game first came out, and I am now in a state of always evaluating my tank driving choices from the point of view of how attractive a target I am to arty. When you learn to think that way getting shelled by arty is far, far less of a problem. I highly recommend playing one or two arty trees all the way to tier 10, USA, USSR or France. Don't free exp or skip anything. It helps dealing with arty as a conventional tank or TD by an immeasurable amount.

Even 3 arty in a game really isn't that bad, you just have to choose your approaches differently. People have zero patience. Don't advance as far, make the enemy tanks advance further to shoot at you. You give up a minor tactical point so your arty has a clear shot at them while you are in a position to not allow their arty shots that are as advantageous. Let your arty work for you instead of advancing however you want. It really can work for you.

For that matter there are a lot of times where even without arty people are morons and push too far so they are driving around corners exposing themselves to enemy fire instead of letting the enemy point tanks come to them. Patience is a huge virtue in this game.

BitBasher fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Aug 31, 2020

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames
3 arty is fun if you are also arty and know how to counter-arty

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Goast posted:

3 arty is fun if you are also arty and know how to counter-arty

How are you supposed to do this? Are you watching to see the shot starting from a location?

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

VelociBacon posted:

How are you supposed to do this? Are you watching to see the shot starting from a location?

combine that with knowing common arty parking spots and you get some funny blind kills

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

VelociBacon posted:

Yep, you can see the tracers and a huge chunk of the time arty always sits in the same spots and rarely relocates after firing. On some maps in particular There are only a handful of spots for them to sit. It also helps a lot to have a mod to zoom out farther (Which is legal in in Aslain's mod pack) so you have a much much wider FOV to see the tracers origin spots. You can see huge chunks of the of the map when zoomed out 300 meters in arty view. You can also see trees go down/fences break and stuff and relay positions to your team but no one communicates. Was handy in clan wars long ago.

I used to see counter artillery fire used to be a LOT more common back like 6-7 years ago before I took a long break. It basically never happens to me now. I rarely play arty but I haven't been counter fired by arty once since I started playing again, I don't even bother relocating after firing any more.

BitBasher fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Sep 1, 2020

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames
before platoons were in and you had to sync-queue spotting your teams arty for your friend on the other team was a common way of spiting your teammates and was always hilarious

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

BitBasher posted:

I used to see counter artillery fire used to be a LOT more common back like 6-7 years ago before I took a long break. It basically never happens to me now. I rarely play arty but I haven't been counter fired by arty once since I started playing again, I don't even bother relocating after firing any more.

i started the us arty grind very recently and just hit the m12

been counter artied maybe twice, but wiped out the other teams arty 5 minutes in a dozen times its loving weird

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

Goast posted:

i started the us arty grind very recently and just hit the m12

been counter artied maybe twice, but wiped out the other teams arty 5 minutes in a dozen times its loving weird

Yeah, the only Arty line I am going up now is the Batchat arty line. I think I'm on Tier 6 now. The gun itself is okay, but I really like their mobility. I like being arty but also being able to gently caress off and relocate in a hurry.

American arty can't really relocate at all, but I really liked going through them. I got all the way through tier 10, that T92 HMC drops houses on people but has a super slow reload and aim time and a blast radius like 10m or something ludicrous. Or rather it used to, I am told there was a rebalance to arty since I last played any of my American SPGs years ago. I should pull it out for a game.