Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
I do like jadzia's basically-a-catchphrase "I'm not Curzon" in the earlier seasons. As A Trans i empathise a lot. No, I'm not that dude you keep calling me, he's gone now, I didn't even like him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

i always wonder about the worm's personality. surely they've got their own poo poo going on

Barudak
May 7, 2007

oh but seriously I posted:

i always wonder about the worm's personality. surely they've got their own poo poo going on

Find a replacement host, eat up this ones nutrients in the meantime, post updates to their group chat for their D&D campaign.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
Just rewatched House of Quark and my god, the five second clip where Gowron is doing that bug-eyed stare at a datapad while Quark explains financial transactions to him might be one of my favorite tiny moments in the entire franchise. His facial expression is incredible.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Symbiont4Host: Looking for high-energy host to continue career as starfleet ambassador. Must be a self-starter, interested in new experiences, and love travel. Will receive a high rank post in starfleet as compensation, as well as several liftimes worth of memories of ferengi erotica

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Polaron posted:

Just rewatched House of Quark and my god, the five second clip where Gowron is doing that bug-eyed stare at a datapad while Quark explains financial transactions to him might be one of my favorite tiny moments in the entire franchise. His facial expression is incredible.

There's at least one goon with that as their avatar. It is incredible.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Lead out in cuffs posted:

There's at least one goon with that as their avatar. It is incredible.

drat. I was going to try to figure out a way to get that as an avatar after the regime change.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Polaron posted:

drat. I was going to try to figure out a way to get that as an avatar after the regime change.

This is the avatar:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=140117

I'm pretty sure you could mine that episode for more :stare: Gowron expressions.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Gowron's best Tucker Carlson impression:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

YOU! The one who is moving now. ANSWER ME!

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
EXPERIENCE BIJ!

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
When did they get rid of the genial Texan guy as starfleet security boi and get that weird Eddington guy what turns out to be a Maquis?

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Schadenboner posted:

When did they get rid of the genial Texan guy as starfleet security boi and get that weird Eddington guy what turns out to be a Maquis?

Season 3 premiere, when they bring in the Defiant.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Polaron posted:

Season 3 premiere, when they bring in the Defiant.

I miss "'ol Tex" (as I've decided he's called). He was pleasingly :downs:.

While Eddington is a dishonorable renegade and traitor.

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Aug 29, 2020

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
IIRC the Texan guy disappears after the episode where he commits at least one massive security fuckup from second-guessing Odo

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Ghost Leviathan posted:

IIRC the Texan guy disappears after the episode where he commits at least one massive security fuckup from second-guessing Odo

But that's just part of 'ol Tex's folksy charm!

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Sisko as a klingon is sexy af.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Schadenboner posted:

I miss "'ol Tex" (as I've decided he's called). He was pleasingly :downs:.

While Eddington is a dishonorable renegade and traitor.

"captain did you ever remind starfleet that they brought eddington in because they didnt trust me"
"no"
"please do"

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Is there a story where the Borg encounter the changelings?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

bessantj posted:

Is there a story where the Borg encounter the changelings?

I think the closest thing is a mirror universe expansion for the old Start Trek CCG where it shows Weyoun assimilated:

There is a novel where Weyoun becomes the Kai of Bajor, though. :v:

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

AlternateNu posted:

I think the closest thing is a mirror universe expansion for the old Start Trek CCG where it shows Weyoun assimilated:

Thank you, I'll have to hunt that book down.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat

AlternateNu posted:

Is that the same book where Bajor decides to gently caress it and worship the Pa Wraiths, and become a galactic superpower so strong it makes Q throw up his hands and leave reality?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
would that imply dukat had the right idea but just tripped in the application phase

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Sexual Aluminum posted:

Is that the same book where Bajor decides to gently caress it and worship the Pa Wraiths, and become a galactic superpower so strong it makes Q throw up his hands and leave reality?

Yup. Except the Pah-Wraiths for whom Weyoun serves as Emissary aren't the ones Dukat linked with in the fire caves. They're a different set that live in a "red wormhole" whose opening destroyed DS9. (In fact, in this timeline, Dukat is still alive and still the Emissary for the fire caves wraiths. So there's three sets of alien god-things.) Also, Earth and the Enterprise F were destroyed along with CAPT Will Riker and his first officer, CDR Tom Paris. :psyduck:

It's all very dumb.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
"You know that storyline that people didnt like and mothballed one of the series' best villains into generic Evil Ghost Man, what if we did that again in a book, but Jeffery Combs"

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Sexual Aluminum posted:

That part sounds p awesome tbh

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat

spankmeister posted:

That part sounds p awesome tbh

It really wasn’t

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
I like how, in Past Tense, O’Brien quickly develops an accurate technique for using a transporter pad & the waste product of Defiant to time travel then a few episodes later, in Visionary, after Bashir has finished busting his rear end to save him, he’s like “no, use the delta radiation five hour time jump technique to do it. The one that will probably kill me.” Dude is super dedicated to dying.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Will say the same thing I said in the fighting game thread: a Star Trek fighting game could be amazing, and a hilarious showcase of terrible choreography.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Woebin posted:

I always had the feeling that many of the people working on DS9 wanted to go more explicitly queer but that someone higher up wouldn't allow it. I blame Rick Berman.

This was addressed by the showrunner. He says he and his team don't deserve any credit on the gay representation front because they never found out if they'd be allowed. They never asked.

Which is a good admission to make. I don't give the writers/showrunner much credit for how they handled the final seasons of DS9, but I do applaud him for pointing that out and not trying to pretend unearned accomplishment.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
only like three years prior there was a situation where data's daughter was learning about human relationships and they apparently tried to include a same-sex couple holding hands in ten forward and were explicitly shutdown by the executives after someone reported it, so i dont blame them for just assuming they got as far as they could

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

DS9 definitely got away with more poo poo because it was always the second show. First it was TNG then Voyager, they always flew a little under the radar which gave them some leeway.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Rewatched Waltz, such a loving good episode and Alaimo's performance is completely mental on that one. Also iirc it's one that the writers had to remind people that Dukat is Space Heydrich because his actor performed him as far too affable and likable. Unfortunately I wish he died on that ep and went on a high note rather than the horrible Pahwraith stuff from the final season.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
tbh he should have disappeared after ziyal died a broken man

however alaimo just loving rocks, that dude is a loving great actor

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

i know the good guys needed the affirmation that they had indeed won but the episode probably couldve just ended with the slow zoom away from dukat over ziyals body even if the next two scenes were also really loving good

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Oct 18, 2020

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I may have mentioned before, but it's funny how much Weyoun's behaviour makes sense considering the facts of Vorta existence- they have no sense of taste, no concept of art and are immune to probably every drug. It's no wonder Weyoun enjoys Dabo so much- gambling is quite possibly the only vice he can enjoy. Also when in In The Cards, he disbelieves Jake when he's telling the truth- he has no concept of what a baseball card is or why it would be desirable except as a material benefit. Since he's noted to be excellent at determining lies, it takes Jake spinning a very Star Trek plot worthy lie for him to believe Jake's first story, since he now has a baseline of two mutually exclusive stories to work from.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own."

tfw you watch the episode where they put O'Brien (and Odo) in space blackface

currently doing a rewatch with my partner (it's their first trek)

denereal visease fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Oct 23, 2020

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Just finished How Much For Just The Planet, it was fun. It's got a lot of little details that really work; that they have tech that's clear predecessors to things like TNG replicators but doesn't work the same or as well, and the Vulcan character introduced acts mostly like a typical Vulcan but is shown through her actions to be a bit of a clumsy, lazy slob.

I think one of the key things in writing aliens as people is to remember that pretty much every archetype of humanity you can think of, the aliens have those too, if filtered through their own physical and cultural lens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CptAwesome
Nov 2, 2005

Plutonis posted:

Rewatched Waltz, such a loving good episode and Alaimo's performance is completely mental on that one. Also iirc it's one that the writers had to remind people that Dukat is Space Heydrich because his actor performed him as far too affable and likable. Unfortunately I wish he died on that ep and went on a high note rather than the horrible Pahwraith stuff from the final season.

Waltz is the best episode of DS9. :colbert: