Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Dackel posted:

Don't think it's worth full price, but I had fun playing through it on gamepass.

modern gaming.txt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Replace Gamepass with Blockbuster and you have 00's gaming :shrug:

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
Not-Souls Chat:

Finished Hellpoint after the Xbox patch finally came out. I really hated that final fight, but overall I enjoyed the game and willing to recommend it to others. I doubt I will go back and finish achievements anytime soon, missing coins and the archon knights.

Mortal Shell, my request for refund was denied so I decided to keep going with it and it's grown on me some. Better performance after the recent xbox patch. Except now I hit Left Trigger to run (in hellpoint that's the dedicated run button) like a dumbass. Sadly I'll never be good enough to do the shelless run or to put up with the training to git gud for it.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Ruinarch just came out:

quote:

Ruinarch is a simulation sandbox game where you create obstacles and cause conflicts in procedurally generated fantasy worlds. Inspired by story generator games like Rimworld and Dwarf Fortress, weaving tales of both anguish and humor is central to Ruinarch’s gameplay. The game gives you all the infernal tools you'll need to toy with people's lives and relationships.

Best I can describe it is like playing Rimworld in a fantasy setting except you're Randy Random rather than the colony; your goal is to kill all of the population but without drawing too much attention. Methods can be direct (fireballs, monsters) or subtle (finding out about feuds between villagers and exploiting them, corrupting one of them, making one of them a zombie etc.) What little I played so far is kinda addictive, even if the early access shows. One to keep an eye on.

Jaxic
Aug 26, 2020

canepazzo posted:

Ruinarch just came out:

Best I can describe it is like playing Rimworld in a fantasy setting except you're Randy Random rather than the colony; your goal is to kill all of the population but without drawing too much attention. Methods can be direct (fireballs, monsters) or subtle (finding out about feuds between villagers and exploiting them, corrupting one of them, making one of them a zombie etc.) What little I played so far is kinda addictive, even if the early access shows. One to keep an eye on.

Love Rimworld. Might have to try the demo before I drop some cash.

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,

ghostinmyshell posted:

Not-Souls Chat:

Finished Hellpoint after the Xbox patch finally came out. I really hated that final fight, but overall I enjoyed the game and willing to recommend it to others. I doubt I will go back and finish achievements anytime soon, missing coins and the archon knights.

Mortal Shell, my request for refund was denied so I decided to keep going with it and it's grown on me some. Better performance after the recent xbox patch. Except now I hit Left Trigger to run (in hellpoint that's the dedicated run button) like a dumbass. Sadly I'll never be good enough to do the shelless run or to put up with the training to git gud for it.

Ya I ended up enjoying Hellpoint. I would buy a sequel if it were priced fairly (like I thought Hellpoint was). Mortal Shell grew me on too, and I also had the same button issue with it after playing Hellpoint but on PC you change the controls so I matched them and it made everything better. Again I thought the price point was fair so I'd buy a sequel because I enjoyed them both.

Looks like Wasteland 3 comes out today. I was so hyped for WL2 and....I thought it really sucked in every way. Played 2 hours or so and forgot about it. Do people think WL3 will be better? I can't decide if I should get it or not.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Wasn't W3 supposed to release tomorrow?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

canepazzo posted:

Ruinarch just came out:

I turned a Knight into a Music Hater and then every time the local bard played their guitar I whispered in his ear and told him and eventually he got sick of it and murdered the bard

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

deep dish peat moss posted:

I turned a Knight into a Music Hater and then every time the local bard played their guitar I whispered in his ear and told him and eventually he got sick of it and murdered the bard

Wishlisted just from this post.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Moon: Remix RPG Adventure drops on Nintendo Switch today, a cult PS1 RPG in Japan about a boy sucked into a JRPG connecting with its NPCs and rebuilding in the aftermath of the Hero "saving" the world.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

deep dish peat moss posted:

I gave one person vampirism and then watched as she slowly converted everyone else into vampires (it seems like a chance for that happening every time they feed), and then everyone starved because there were no non-vampires to feed on. The closer they got to starving to death, the more the AI had them foraging for normal-people food. They'd start fishing, then abandon that to go pick berries, then try to kill a sheep to harvest it, but never actually get the task done before swapping to another. Then they just...fell over from starvation. I'm not sure the behavioral scripting is any better than a Sims game at this point. And it's definitely not hard to win - the challenge is in winning with style.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Sounds like the kind of thing that would be amazing if it was just an alternate gameplay mode for Dwarf Fortress.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Granted I only played about an hour and a half of Ruinarch but my takeaway;

It's a really neat idea, there's fun gameplay to be had but like mentioned "beating" the game takes zero effort and enjoyment all comes down to finding fun or silly ways to do it.

The actual AI isn't anywhere near as advanced as Rimworld and you essentially get the ability to ignore the AI and do things like trigger someone's vampirism or serial killer streak manually

It feels like a lot of the intended gameplay is just sort of, uhh, sadistic. And since there's not a whole lot of AI complexity it mostly comes down to just being a scumbag to people in order to elicit a response that turns them against someone else. So as an example I won one scenario by framing a woman for stealing things from other villagers, which caused her husband to lose faith in her over time, he then cheated on her and I sent my demonic minions to whisper in her ear about it and she went mad and attacked him. He killed her, and then buried her body, which I had afflicted with a zombie curse while she was alive. She came back as a zombie and ate someone else and triggered a zombie cascade.

Ultimately I refunded it because it made me feel a little unwell that I was essentially torturing virtual people for no purpose. The conceit is neat enough that I'm still interested in checking it out in a year or two after some development, but I think it needs a lot more content and it needs some of that content to be more nuanced than just sadistic emotional and physical torture. One of the least sadistic things I can do in this game is send a horde of trolls to abduct villagers and cook them in giant pots then eat them.

It's not as bad as a game like Postal or whatever but I guess in this day and age I don't really want to play a game about tearing communities apart and making them hate each other enough to resort to murder.

In the Pros column, you can create vampire serial killers that explicitly target nobles and literally eat the rich.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Just finished Manifold Garden on the Switch. The extreme motion sickness unity games commonly cause me was mitigated significantly by playing it handheld, but it still caused a lot of dizziness.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I kind of got tired of Spiritfarer’s collection grind and petered out on it. Takes way too long to advance the plot imo.

Tried to get into Wasteland 3 (game pass release) but just wasn’t feeling it. Anything else on game pass recently worth a look? Been a lot of things in the last while..

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
IMMORTAL REALMS VAMPIRE WARS (I am going to capitalize it because of how stupid the name is) is a new Age of Wonders kinda thing from a small studio on Steam. It's basically Age of Wonders 3 with Vampires, with a smaller art budget. It's pretty fun! You've got the traditional black knight vampire faction, the nosferatu monster vampires faction, and snow wizard vampires. If you're looking for a 4X romp you could do a lot worse. It's so goth it shits bats.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

priznat posted:

I kind of got tired of Spiritfarer’s collection grind and petered out on it. Takes way too long to advance the plot imo.

Tried to get into Wasteland 3 (game pass release) but just wasn’t feeling it. Anything else on game pass recently worth a look? Been a lot of things in the last while..

Crusader Kings 3 releases tomorrow and it seems to be the most newbie friendly so far.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
I've just picked up New Super Lucky's Tale on Game Pass, which came out last week. It's a 3D Platformer (with some 2D levels) which is aggressively cute, but actually really well done. The movement is solid and the controls are snappy, and the level design so far is pretty nice, lots of variety and little hidden secrets.

Well worth a look if you want something colourful and silly that's not Fall Guys (which is amazing).

tensai
May 8, 2007

Just trying to keep my boyfriend away from that redheaded harlot.

thehandtruck posted:

Looks like Wasteland 3 comes out today. I was so hyped for WL2 and....I thought it really sucked in every way. Played 2 hours or so and forgot about it. Do people think WL3 will be better? I can't decide if I should get it or not.

I'm probably about 5 hours in and I'm enjoying it. I'm in the same boat about WL2. I bought it and hated it immediately. Then I bought it again on the PS4 for some reason and instantly hated it again.

WL3 isn't going to change the world and still feels a little jank, but it's a good podcast game and the combat is decently fun.

Truman Sticks
Nov 2, 2011

tensai posted:

I'm probably about 5 hours in and I'm enjoying it. I'm in the same boat about WL2. I bought it and hated it immediately. Then I bought it again on the PS4 for some reason and instantly hated it again.

WL3 isn't going to change the world and still feels a little jank, but it's a good podcast game and the combat is decently fun.

Are you using kb+m or controller in WL3? I'd prefer to use a controller with my current setup but I remember WL2 didn't have good controller support

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Truman Sticks posted:

Are you using kb+m or controller in WL3? I'd prefer to use a controller with my current setup but I remember WL2 didn't have good controller support

I'm playing it on PS4 with a controller and it's perfectly playable despite some weird interface bugs that might be a console thing rather than a controller thing (basically sometimes the interface freezes on menus and you have to restart the game)

There's nothing that I've found unintuitive about the controls except for one thing that was explained in the very short tutorial - you press square to open your skills/items, the first press shows skills and pressing it again shows items.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
I'm 17 hours into WL3, and it's been a mixed bag. The gameplay and story is solid, it looks great, and the hardest difficulty is a fun challenge. The problem is the game is split into a bunch of smaller zones with long load times between each, and they send you on Fedex missions through multiple zones. Even the quickload/quicksave takes ages, which sucks because there's a lot of trial and error to the encounters.

WL3's loading issue and its disinterest in working around it is best summed up by one of its own quest chains. There's a building with an intercom on the outside. You load inside to investigate, then load outside to find someone. Then you return to the building with the intercom on the outside, load into the building to confirm to the person who is manning the intercom that you did the job, and then you can load out of the building once they've thanked you. At no point did it occur to them to streamline this process and skip some loading.

I don't see myself completing it or even playing much more, but I still kind of recommend as long as you think you have the patience for it.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Aug 31, 2020

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
There's also Necromunda, Star Renegades and As Far As The Eye right around the corner. The first two on the 8th, and the last on the 10th.

Necromunda is another Warhammer tabletop adaption. It's over-the-shoulder, tactical, and probably turn-based, squad combat with a lot of squad customization. It's made by the people who did Mordheim, and it seems to be the same formula and gameplay. Though this time it's 40K and gangwars with chainswords. Mordheim was... not great, but if they can make the combat less weird in this one, then it could be fun.

Star Renegades is a turn-based RPG from the people who did Halcyon 6, which was a big space sim RPG I could never get into. It looks gorgeous and seems to be about fighting mechs.

As Far As The Eye is a strange one. They call it a roguelike city builder with no combat. I don't know what that means, and haven't tried the demo. It might be fun. It certainly sounds unique.

Iverron
May 13, 2012

Donnerberg posted:

I'm 17 hours into WL3, and it's been a mixed bag. The gameplay and story is solid, it looks great, and the hardest difficulty is a fun challenge. The problem is the game is split into a bunch of smaller zones with long load times between each, and they send you on Fedex missions through multiple zones. Even the quickload/quicksave takes ages, which sucks because there's a lot of trial and error to the encounters.

WL3's loading issue and its disinterest in working around it is best summed up by one of its own quest chains. There's a building with an intercom on the outside. You load inside to investigate, then load outside to find someone. Then you return to the building with the intercom on the outside, load into the building to confirm to the person who is manning the intercom that you did the job, and then you can load out of the building once they've thanked you. At no point did it occur to them to streamline this process and skip some loading.

I don't see myself completing it or even playing much more, but I still kind of recommend as long as you think you have the patience for it.

Sounds like a wait for a patch or three.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Diabotical officially released for free on Epic Games today and it's cool and it would be cool if people played it and enjoyed it and continued to play and enjoy it

https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/product/diabotical/home

it is a first person arena shooter in the style of Quake except now you are an adorable egg robot that shoots other egg robots and blows them into pieces

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
I put six hours into Paradise Killer yesterday, and it's really, really excellent. I don't want to say too much or give anything away because a lot of the fun is just exploring and learning more about the bizarre world lore, but the best way to describe it is "occult vaporwave murder mystery." It combines visual novel-esque suspect investigation with a 3D open world to roam around in with some light puzzles sprinkled here and there. Nothing brain melting, but the game is a whole rear end mood and I'm super into it right now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5-uBBg2Ct4

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Aerox posted:

I put six hours into Paradise Killer yesterday, and it's really, really excellent. I don't want to say too much or give anything away because a lot of the fun is just exploring and learning more about the bizarre world lore, but the best way to describe it is "occult vaporwave murder mystery." It combines visual novel-esque suspect investigation with a 3D open world to roam around in with some light puzzles sprinkled here and there. Nothing brain melting, but the game is a whole rear end mood and I'm super into it right now.

Holy poo poo this looks incredible

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Aerox posted:

There was a demo, but it was time-limited and no longer available. For people who missed that, you could check out SuperGreatFriend's demo playthrough, the chill goon who did the Deadly Premonition LP. It should show off the game without spoiling all that much, for those who would like to know a little more about the game.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Aerox posted:

I was getting ready to make a post about this. It's absolutely excellent, the setting is neat and fun, the mystery is engrossing, the writing is superb, and the world is bonkers in a really fun and good way. It's also just generally a really solid investigation game which expects you to actually figure everything out yourself instead of "unlocking" the solution or w/e

The only frustrating thing is you can occasionally find clues and evidence you feel like you aught to be able to press certain people on but it never comes up. Otherwise, really a brilliant game

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Yeah I’m jamming on Paradise Killer, it’s a very good out of nowhere suprise. A much more open ended take on the murder mystery visual novel. It’s got a great aesthetic and soundtrack. Kind of like Danganronpa by way of Suda 51. I love how it’s not hand holdy and it’s up to you to discover things and connect the dots and draw conclusions.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

man nurse posted:

Kind of like Danganronpa by way of Suda 51. I love how it’s not hand holdy and it’s up to you to discover things and connect the dots and draw conclusions.
Does it have the Suda gameplay or the Suda plot? Because depending on the answer, that could be either a very good or a very bad thing.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Cardiovorax posted:

Does it have the Suda gameplay or the Suda plot? Because depending on the answer, that could be either a very good or a very bad thing.

I think I mean more of the general style and vibe. The gameplay is mostly exploration and some visual novel fare. I haven’t completed it but the plot is compelling and you can dig in as much as you want to before going to the trial and trying to put forth a conclusion. It’s very cool.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

man nurse posted:

I think I mean more of the general style and vibe. The gameplay is mostly exploration and some visual novel fare. I haven’t completed it but the plot is compelling and you can dig in as much as you want to before going to the trial and trying to put forth a conclusion. It’s very cool.
Alright, I might give it a shot, then. I kind of liked Danganronpa in concept, but the sheer aggressive stupidity of the premise and the plot just ruined any kind of enjoyment I could've gotten out of the Ace Attorney-style clue collecting.

an owls casket
Jun 4, 2001

Pillbug
I didn't hate Dangan Ronpa, thought it was mostly just okay, but Paradise Killer has really sucked me in. I definitely agree with the people saying it has Suda 51 vibes-- it's weird as poo poo and convoluted, but not to the point where you'd get lost.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Donnerberg posted:

There's also Necromunda, Star Renegades and As Far As The Eye right around the corner. The first two on the 8th, and the last on the 10th.

Necromunda is another Warhammer tabletop adaption. It's over-the-shoulder, tactical, and probably turn-based, squad combat with a lot of squad customization. It's made by the people who did Mordheim, and it seems to be the same formula and gameplay. Though this time it's 40K and gangwars with chainswords. Mordheim was... not great, but if they can make the combat less weird in this one, then it could be fun.

Star Renegades is a turn-based RPG from the people who did Halcyon 6, which was a big space sim RPG I could never get into. It looks gorgeous and seems to be about fighting mechs.

As Far As The Eye is a strange one. They call it a roguelike city builder with no combat. I don't know what that means, and haven't tried the demo. It might be fun. It certainly sounds unique.

These three are on my radar. I only found out about Star Renegades today, but after watching the gameplay trailer I'm really looking forward to it. Supposedly it comes out on Game Pass at some point today. I still have that, so I'll try it there. Necromunda looks good but I heard it's very dense and slow. It might be like Warhammer Underworlds, where it's only playable if you're super familiar with the tabletop version, which I'm not. But hey, people want more faithful versions of their games that they can't play in quarantine so I'm not saying it's bad.

Iverron
May 13, 2012

Necromunda’s early reviews are mixed, lots of bug mentions, gonna wait and see.

Star Renegade obviously not many reviews yet but the ones that are there are very positive.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

LifeLynx posted:

These three are on my radar. I only found out about Star Renegades today, but after watching the gameplay trailer I'm really looking forward to it. Supposedly it comes out on Game Pass at some point today. I still have that, so I'll try it there. Necromunda looks good but I heard it's very dense and slow. It might be like Warhammer Underworlds, where it's only playable if you're super familiar with the tabletop version, which I'm not. But hey, people want more faithful versions of their games that they can't play in quarantine so I'm not saying it's bad.

I installed Star Renegades through windows store, because it wouldn't show up on gamepass. So it's technically out there, just not on the app

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
I don't think it was mentioned in here, Spellbreak came out last week on all consoles and PC, cross platform and your account is shared across all platforms so you can go back and forth and keep all your unlocks.

Wizard batle royale. I'm not a fan of BR but still having a lot of fun with the combat.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Iverron posted:

Necromunda’s early reviews are mixed, lots of bug mentions, gonna wait and see.

I’ve watched a stream and the big problem for me is the same as Mordheim. Leveling up your gang is boring, just a lot of +3% to hit poo poo, instead of the big improvements per level of the tabletop game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Dackel posted:

I installed Star Renegades through windows store, because it wouldn't show up on gamepass. So it's technically out there, just not on the app

Thanks! I would have never known to check there.