Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Elviscat posted:

If I were you, I would listen to my Real Estate Agent on what to do, because your instincts, and probably a lot of this subforum's, are going to be diametrically opposed to real people's. Most home buyer's interest in the plumbing, electrical, and other mechanicals of the house is going to be "does it work?" Which is going to take a backseat to "do I like the layout?"

Yeah, whereas DIY goons are more interested in 'will have to redo major major systems in the next five years'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

My realtor wanted furniture in my house when it was being sold but I was moving cross country and my poo poo was packed and loaded before the house went up for sale. I prefer looking at empty houses since it's harder to hide damage that way and I think it's easier to imagine how it will look with the furniture I want. Apparently most people do not think that way.

FilthyImp posted:

Reminds me of all those House Buyer shows where the couple lists off how it hits virtually all of their convoluted wants and is the cheapest but "eh... the color of that rug/cabinets... pass"
Those shows are fake. The buyers have already bought their house before the show starts filming. They tour the place they bought and two they don't care about and have to pretend it's a tough decision. I'm pretty sure some of them are like 'gently caress, why didn't we buy this one instead...uhhh, paint sucks, yeah, that's the reason.'

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

kastein posted:

Good point, I've never actually sold a house before. I figured everyone would prefer to see the place empty so they know there isn't hidden damage and can see where all the outlets and stuff are but I guess seeing it furnished would be useful too.

As someone pointed out upthread, you're an engineer...you're taking this purchase and have an understanding of the gravity of it WAYYYYY more than the average person.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Crunchy Black posted:

As someone pointed out upthread, you're an engineer...you're taking this purchase and have an understanding of the gravity of it WAYYYYY more than the average person.

:lol: this is totally true. Most home buyers are easily influenced by smells, fresh flowers, and clean, nicely arranged furniture. Higher end places often rent furniture for showings. Agents often bake cookies to make the house smell nice. And that poo poo works.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

sharkytm posted:

:lol: this is totally true. Most home buyers are easily influenced by smells, fresh flowers, and clean, nicely arranged furniture. Higher end places often rent furniture for showings. Agents often bake cookies to make the house smell nice. And that poo poo works.

We moved a ton of our poo poo to storage for our sale and our realtor staged what we left. We also burned candles for 48 hours prior and it smelled wonderful. Not that it stunk but we have cats.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yup staging is the way to go, don't just buy throwaway poo poo furniture. A staging company will have a warehouse full of nice stuff and ideally someone skilled at picking what to put in the house and where. It costs money for sure but it's well worth it.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
unless your buyer is ken, in which case you might as well go ahead and pull the floors up and drywall off to save him the time. hell, it might be a selling point

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Elviscat posted:

If I were you, I would listen to my Real Estate Agent on what to do, because your instincts, and probably a lot of this subforum's, are going to be diametrically opposed to real people's. Most home buyer's interest in the plumbing, electrical, and other mechanicals of the house is going to be "does it work?" Which is going to take a backseat to "do I like the layout?"

This is really the best advice, except I would find a real estate agent now even if you are not ready to list. He might tell you to stop everything and just sell as is because the market is so hot, or he might say "Don't do X because it doesn't add value to the house."

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

daslog posted:

This is really the best advice, except I would find a real estate agent now even if you are not ready to list. He might tell you to stop everything and just sell as is because the market is so hot, or he might say "Don't do X because it doesn't add value to the house."

X2

Depending on location, the market, and the demographic that's currently buying in your neighborhood, additional work and finishings might be diminishing returns, or even detrimental to a good sale.

My brother was in the process of finishing his basement when they were selling and had the walls framed and was about to sheet them. His realtor told him to stop, as just hinting at a finished basement added more value (on their end) than spending money to actually finish it.

Realtors (good ones) know how to sell a home for the highest price possible so as to get the biggest commission. Get one and listen to what they say.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Galler posted:

Those shows are fake. The buyers have already bought their house before the show starts filming. They tour the place they bought and two they don't care about and have to pretend it's a tough decision. I'm pretty sure some of them are like 'gently caress, why didn't we buy this one instead...uhhh, paint sucks, yeah, that's the reason.'

Sometimes they just hire actors because the person buying the house is willing to let it be filmed in but doesn't want to appear on film. And once you know that it's easy to tell when the shoppers are actors, so you're welcome for ruining some of those shows for you.

Shit Fuckasaurus fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Sep 3, 2020

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Reality TV fake? Say it isn't so.

My aunt was a dog trainer and a network (HGTV?) wanted her to do the Canadian version of the dog whisperer. They basically laid out how it was going to work and she gave them a solid, "gently caress no".

-actor dogs that are trained to act aggressive
-actor dog owners to add drama/hijinks
-actor staff for her dog training business to add drama/hijinks
-her family would have to have reoccurring roles to add drama/hijinks
-she would have to have a "nemesis" (another dog trainer)
-season cliffhangers

She said it was quite surreal and at no point would real clients be involved unless used for background stuff during "The Office"-style monologues.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I've gotten more of the living room ceiling drywalled, and some of the duct enclosures on it drywalled too. Also finished insulating the main bedroom HVAC supply duct so I can finish drywalling that duct enclosure anytime.

We spent some time priming and painting the spare bedroom as well. All that's left in there is wall painting before it's time to do the radiant heat and flooring! Then trim and that room is DONE. It's really weird how much it looks like a house in there instead of a barn.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Goddamn that is a beautiful room.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
How much do you two have left. It's amazing how great it looks after the early stages when it was all beams rotted

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Not much, the end is in sight.
Full radiant heat install
Front porch railing including stair railing
Siding
Exterior trim
Interior trim
Finish mudding 2 rooms
A few more sheets of drywall but nothing big
Mud and tape 4 rooms
Paint 6 rooms
Front porch lighting
Refinish living room floor
Install 6 rooms worth of flooring
A tiny bit of blackwater piping I haven't finished yet

So like not much left :shepspends:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
"not much"

jesus christ dude. All this and you're moving to the other side of the continent.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I was being pretty sarcastic but... Honestly that's not much compared to the bullshit I've had to deal with already.

Oh, I might toss a new back deck on it too. I haven't decided. It'll only be about a grand or two in materials and take about a weekend now that I've got all the tools and experience from the front porch. The current back deck is RAGGED (I cut part of it off with a chainsaw and the asbestos abatement crew cut more off) and wasn't built anywhere near to code, and I'm sure it'll be a big black mark on any home inspection anyone has done.

We finished painting the spare bedroom today. Next up is the radiant heat and flooring in that room, then trim and closet+bedroom door.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
Looks great! I remember the details on when you installed the radiant heating in the basement, but how is it going to work in the upper floors?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
It might be better to just remove the back deck entirely? Cheaper, at least.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

kastein posted:

Not much, the end is in sight.
Full radiant heat install
Front porch railing including stair railing
Siding
Exterior trim
Interior trim
Finish mudding 2 rooms
A few more sheets of drywall but nothing big
Mud and tape 4 rooms
Paint 6 rooms
Front porch lighting
Refinish living room floor
Install 6 rooms worth of flooring
A tiny bit of blackwater piping I haven't finished yet

So like not much left :shepspends:

This is a brilliant poem.

Wait, it's not a poem, is it?

It's looking great, either way.

Again, encourage you to cut that project short (back deck) and put the house on the market, make the buyers ask you to fix things up, don't do it voluntarily.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

Looks great! I remember the details on when you installed the radiant heating in the basement, but how is it going to work in the upper floors?

I haven't done it in the basement yet either, maybe you're thinking of Jaded Burnout? I saw that going in with gypcrete in their thread.

Elviscat, yeah, I could go either way on it. If it gets to around november and I'm done with everything else I'll probably do it though, simply because I know it'll be the first thing to get called out and any later than that, the ground freezes bad and having helical piles installed and digging for deck support beam clearance will be next to impossible.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Well today I got sweet gently caress all done, but did pick up 2 of the last 3 doors we need to buy and the drywall for the bathroom.

Also I'm looking into emergency heat coils for the HVAC instead of doing the full radiant system I planned because it will cost less than just the remaining parts I need to buy for the radiant and honestly it was pretty drat comfortable last winter with just the heat pump, at least after I got the basement closed off from the first floor again, and I'd rather put the 4k (total, including stuff already bought) in radiant parts into a house I'll be living in forever than one I'm about to sell. It looks like (projecting/kind of pulling numbers out of my rear end) electric bill would peak at about 300 maybe 350 in January and February if I did that. And it will take weeks of fuckery out of the remaining work to do.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

That's a good idea, I don't think a radiant system would add any value over a heat pump, either in monetary terms, or desirability for a prospective buyer/tenant.

Heat pump + emergency heat is leagues better than the horrible oil furnaces most houses out of towns have out there anyways.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

kastein posted:

I'd rather put the 4k (total, including stuff already bought) in radiant parts into a house I'll be living in forever than one I'm about to sell.

What the gently caress? You're selling the 10 year project house?!

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Yeah. Heading for greener (literally, the place is like 1.5 hours from Olympic National Forest) pastures... And I'll be building a 40x60 or 40x80 barn-shop-mahal within pissing distance of the house instead of having to drive 45 minutes to get to my workshop or pay 4 figures a month in shop rent.

When that day comes, expect a new thread.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

kastein posted:

pay 4 figures a month in shop rent.

Tell me about it. Thankfully, I'm making money with mine, but it's still rough writing that check every month. Plus gas, electric, internet, security, etc... It's too bad you're moving away, but WA is awesome. I've got some friends it that way that grow a lot of their own food, raise bees, cut their own timber, etc.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

sharkytm posted:

Tell me about it. Thankfully, I'm making money with mine, but it's still rough writing that check every month. Plus gas, electric, internet, security, etc... It's too bad you're moving away, but WA is awesome. I've got some friends it that way that grow a lot of their own food, raise bees, cut their own timber, etc.

Yeah, I'll miss the local crew.

I should note my shop rent is DIRT loving CHEAP right now - we pay 400 a month for a 44x48 hangar plus basically free run of a nearly abandoned airport, 175/mo of which is my responsibility for my third of the hangar - but it's 80-90 minutes of driving roundtrip to even go there and it's literally rotting into the ground. Anywhere even close to the same amount of space closer to home would be in the range I gave.

I cannot wait to have a smooth, level concrete floor in a weather tight building right next door to home.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

kastein posted:

I cannot wait to have a smooth, level concrete floor in a weather tight building right next door to home.

Don't forget the fireproofing/breaking. A 100 foot deep moat at least 500 feet across with a diameter of a mile should do it and then maybe just have fire retardant constantly dripping onto the roof of the building.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Yeah I wasn't really expecting western Washington to turn into a firetrap this soon. Thanks global warming.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Western Washington hasn't had a many major fires this year.

We were blessed with the smoke from the fires on the rest of the West Coast though.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

There was a fire in Bonney Lake (800ac IIRC) and one somewhere North of Home WA on the peninsula that I can't find a news article for now of course. Everyone was pretty on edge in the KP Facebook groups for a few days.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Today I also got sweet fuckall done on the house (waiting on flooring adhesive delivery, currently a week out, and didn't feel like doing anything else) but I broke every OSHA regulation in the book while taking down a pair of dead trees I figured would be concerning to buyers, since they could hit the house if they fell.

First, climb the tree

Next cut poo poo off of it with a sawzall because your chainsaw is waiting on a new ignition coil (and a sawzall can be one-handed while holding onto the tree with no safety equipment)

I gotta put some siding on this drat house, but the roof sure looks nice from up here

Then, unconcerned chickens
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSPiKSyg7vI

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

kastein posted:

Next cut poo poo off of it with a sawzall because your chainsaw is waiting on a new ignition coil (and a sawzall can be one-handed while holding onto the tree with no safety equipment)

:whitewater:

the photo alone makes me queasy, goddamn

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Just wait till I describe it swaying 6 inches as I climbed it and hanging on with one arm wrapped around it as I cut the humboldt notch on the side opposite me 35ft in the air, then back-cut it till I was uncomfortable with how little wood remained, then climbed back down very very gingerly and started filming :v:

it's a really good thing I have basically no fear of heights I guess.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
gently caress that, I loving hate heights unless I'm securely strapped into something that has a 100% chance of killing me if it suffers a horrible mechanical failure and less than a .01% incidence of mechanical failure.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Jesus Christ

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
Not tree related but roof climbing for me. At some point I tell my wife to go inside because she starts hyperventilating.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

tomapot posted:

Not tree related but roof climbing for me. At some point I tell my wife to go inside because she starts hyperventilating.

Sitting on the edge of a sloped roof with my feet hanging off is about the closest I get to having a fear of heights. Something about the feeling that I'm a millisecond from falling gives me the willies, doesn't matter if there's a railing right in front of me that will stop me, doesn't matter if I'm 4 feet off the ground or tied in. That tree and the roof shown don't bother me at all when I'm standing on them though.

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc

kastein posted:

Sitting on the edge of a sloped roof with my feet hanging off is about the closest I get to having a fear of heights.

Standing on top of a 14' ladder reaching overhead to dig through fireproofing so I can use a hammer drill to set a hanger has that effect on me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

If those dead branches you were standing on gave way, you would make it to the ground but I think your nether regions may remain on lower branches between 20'-30'.