Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

What's the current recommend104-key keyboard with Cherry Clears? Still the WASD?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

wolrah posted:

I don't hate the arrow keys, I just don't need them so I don't want them loving with the normal layout of the parts I do want. If there's a keyboard that sticks them off to the side somewhere while still being narrower than a TKL it'd be fine. Just don't gently caress with the modifiers or F-keys.

I use the F-keys when I'm gaming, and if I'm going to stick with a relatively normal layout I want it to be something for which 25 years of muscle memory is going to stay the same. IMO overlays are great for less used features but not for something I'm going to use often.

If I'm going to be throwing that away I'd just go all out and get something like an Ergodox, which is actually something I'm now considering after seeing that the Moonlander has support for running the left side only as a WASD pad so that one expensive device could fill two roles.

Both of these fail the "don't gently caress with the modifier keys" test. The former also fucks with the F-row and the latter doesn't have one.

Nice find!

It's hard to tell if those are full-size MX style switches or some mini clone, but if it's full-size this is definitely the best one yet. Those keycaps are wonky but if it's a standard MX-style stem I can just swap 'em out.

I'm tempted to order one anyways and just stick it on my HTPC if it's not good enough for desktop duty. The old Logitech Wireless Combo setup I have there feels like it's made from cardboard.

What about the EVE Meteor, then? GB was a couple of years ago, but there are some recent listings on r/mechmarket.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Some Goon posted:

Yeah, r/CustomKeyboards or bust.

oh no

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Some Goon posted:

Yeah, r/CustomKeyboards or bust.

What have you done?!?!

Maigius posted:

What's the current recommend104-key keyboard with Cherry Clears? Still the WASD?

If you must have Cherry clears, then yeah that's a fantastic board. I still use mine occasionally.
However there are much better switches than Cherry clears but you're not likely to find them on a prebuilt board.

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:
This is pretty cool: https://nicekeyboards.com/products/nice-nano-v1-0

It's a drop in wireless replacement for a Pro Micro

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
If I'm not a big keyboard guy and just want to try something marginally better than the OEM Dell keyboard I have at work, is something like the cheapie Redragon full-size with the clone reds on Amazon good enough for something like that?

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

RichterIX posted:

If I'm not a big keyboard guy and just want to try something marginally better than the OEM Dell keyboard I have at work, is something like the cheapie Redragon full-size with the clone reds on Amazon good enough for something like that?

So I was you about six months ago. I ended up on the Drop Alt. Now I'm bargaining with my wife on a monthly keyboard budget.

I really like my alt. It was a heavy price, but I'm solo glad I did it. Also get tactile switches that aren't mx browns.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

RichterIX posted:

I like Velocifire for cheap boards, but I haven't tried Redragon. I hear decent things though.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

RichterIX posted:

I picked one up for $10 at Goodwill and I have to say it's not even worth the $10 I spent.

For "cheap" boards I usually recommend a Durgod. They're amazing for the money. Definitely a lot more than 'marginally' better than your rubberdome Dell, but expect to spend about $130 for a fullsize board. It's a lot better than spending half that on a piece of garbage though.

E: kprepublic has the 310 (no backlight) for $100
https://kprepublic.com/products/dur...t=7435662360620

I really like the Cherry Black switches they use in the K310 (assuming they still use the same ones they did several years ago.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Aug 31, 2020

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

RichterIX posted:

I grabbed a monoprice tkl for like $30 on sale. Wanted to see what brown switches felt like.

Honestly, it's not terrible, especially for the price.

Myself, I still prefer blue switches. Next up is to try green.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Thanks for the tips! I think my co-workers would murder me if I got blues though

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I got a Keychron K4 as my first—it’s pretty, functional, and was only like $80

mewse
May 2, 2006

RichterIX posted:

If that's the K582 it's a great budget board. I swapped the switches with omron silent forest and it's my daily driver at home.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Coffee And Pie posted:

I got a Keychron K4 as my first—it’s pretty, functional, and was only like $80

Oh yeah I forgot to mention Keychron. I'm liking my K8 very much so far after swapping the stock switches to Hako Clears.

Balsa
May 10, 2020

Turbo Nerd
Picked up the Hyper 7 Keyboard R3, drat thing is 200+ Keys... Still trying to see what switches to use for it. I'm a heavy buckling spring user and so far I'm not impressed with the Cherry Key switches I've tried so far.

Any suggestions? Says it uses GMK Style switches.

Can't wait for the thing to come in the mail. thing is going to be super awesome to use at work. ALL THE MACROS!

https://groupbuys.mechboards.co.uk/shop/hyper-7-keyboard-r3/

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

That's one sexy pile of keys that I would never find a use for.

Balsa
May 10, 2020

Turbo Nerd

Some Goon posted:

That's one sexy pile of keys that I would never find a use for.

I plan on using it for flight sim work a little. maybe some EVE Online/MMO Work as well. should be great to have everything mapped out.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Balsa posted:

Picked up the Hyper 7 Keyboard R3, drat thing is 200+ Keys... Still trying to see what switches to use for it. I'm a heavy buckling spring user and so far I'm not impressed with the Cherry Key switches I've tried so far.

Can't wait for the thing to come in the mail. thing is going to be super awesome to use at work. ALL THE MACROS!

FUCKKKKKK HOW DID I MISS THIS?!!??

mewse
May 2, 2006

Balsa posted:

Still trying to see what switches to use for it. I'm a heavy buckling spring user and so far I'm not impressed with the Cherry Key switches I've tried so far.

Box white / box jade / box navy - clickbar switches that generally feel better than the click jacket from cherry blue style switches

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Balsa posted:

Nothing is going to be the same as buckling springs but I've settled on cherry mx greens for now. I do like the box navy switches, too, but I haven't put them into a full board yet.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Balsa posted:

mewse posted:

Box white / box jade / box navy - clickbar switches that generally feel better than the click jacket from cherry blue style switches

Yeah, if you want a heavy clicky spring go Navy or Jade. Navy being the heavier of the two.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

ihatepants posted:

What about the EVE Meteor, then? GB was a couple of years ago, but there are some recent listings on r/mechmarket.

That's a nice find too. Like the one Dramicus found it's lacking backlighting which I really want, but at this point it's quite obvious that I'm looking for a niche within a niche within a niche so I'm probably going to have to compromise something to be able to buy "off the shelf".

edit: I also just thought about searching for "74 key keyboard" and found the Noppoo Nano 75S which is sold as a 60% but has the F-row and seems to be close enough (it adds a delete key to the F-row but the impact on the first few that I use most heavily is minimal) Unfortunately it seems to have ceased production a few years ago and all the remaining stock is nearly double the original price, while a lot of reviews seem to indicate the quality isn't really worth any more than the original $60.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Aug 31, 2020

Balsa
May 10, 2020

Turbo Nerd

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Since its not a 60% it didn't sell well, (I think something about 100 units based off posts I've seen from the key maker gb)

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

HOLY GOD. ITS FULL OF STARS.
[edit] wait. hosed space bar. No actual case to speak of.. no thanks

redeyes fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Aug 31, 2020

Balsa
May 10, 2020

Turbo Nerd

redeyes posted:

HOLY GOD. ITS FULL OF STARS.
[edit] wait. hosed space bar. No actual case to speak of.. no thanks

If you got the full kit, it came with diff sized space bars and even a ISO Enter! There are a few keys that allow spanning over a few keyswitches that came with the Space Cadet keypack for this.

Dimestore Merlin
Jul 14, 2007

Obey your Spider-Lord

Goddamn Drop. I was supposed to get the Susuwatari set but it turns out they sent me some random lady's beauty supplies.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
the hell does that circle in the center of the space bar do

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Looking for any opinions on the DIERYA or KEMOVE 60% keyboards. They look good to me but the reviews I've seen are mostly first impressions.

I considered this one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FZSDYTZ/?coliid=I18CBFAY45JHVC&colid=35T1VJ4S6WIWJ&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT

Roman posted:

Looking for any opinions on the DIERYA or KEMOVE 60% keyboards. They look good to me but the reviews I've seen are mostly first impressions.

I considered this one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FZSDYTZ/?coliid=I18CBFAY45JHVC&colid=35T1VJ4S6WIWJ&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

I don't think I'd be able to handle the placement of that question mark.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Ringo Star Get posted:

I don't think I'd be able to handle the placement of that question mark.

imagine hitting enter every time you meant to hit backspace.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

Aaaa I bought a used VA87 with Zealios on the alphas and I'm so excited!!! :dance:

So now of course I'm trying to find a hot-swappable numpad (I don't have a soldering iron and do not know how to use one). Seems like the KPrepublic GK21S ($99) and MecKey Alpha MA21 (~$120) are the main contenders, but I'm wondering if there are any cheaper options y'all have seen. I know YMDK has a numpad but I don't think that's hot-swappable, though their 9-key macropad is. KBDPAD MKII is gorgeous but also doesn't appear to be hot-swappable... also never in stock.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

imagine hitting enter every time you meant to hit backspace.

wait why are there 3 alt keys???

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Stroop There It Is posted:

Aaaa I bought a used VA87 with Zealios on the alphas and I'm so excited!!! :dance:

So now of course I'm trying to find a hot-swappable numpad (I don't have a soldering iron and do not know how to use one). Seems like the KPrepublic GK21S ($99) and MecKey Alpha MA21 (~$120) are the main contenders, but I'm wondering if there are any cheaper options y'all have seen. I know YMDK has a numpad but I don't think that's hot-swappable, though their 9-key macropad is. KBDPAD MKII is gorgeous but also doesn't appear to be hot-swappable... also never in stock.

wait why are there 3 alt keys???

Probably only key that was available that fit the space, row, and color scheme.

Saturnine Aberrance
Sep 6, 2010

Creator.

Please make me flesh.

I've come to find that while the hexgears impulse has hot swappable switches, the LEDs on the PCB get in the way of switches that don't have a cutout on the north side to make room. Switches without this cutout technically fit, but they only are barely able to reach into the socket to be able to type with, and they're uneven, and unstable. Not a problem with any kailh switches I've found, but the T1 testers I got, a few cherrys I have lying around, and it seems the Kiwis that are on the way will all face this issue.

Is there a way to easily modify switches to allow this? Or am I just screwed for any switches with this form factor, and should go back on the market for a full size / 1800 hot swap keyboard that'll support these sorts of switches?

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Durgod sent out the backer survey for the Fusion. Did anyone else back the keyboard? What options did you choose?

I went with Original (white+orange) and MX Blues. The NES-like color scheme is pretty cool but it wouldn't really fit with my office colors.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT

CRAYON posted:

Durgod sent out the backer survey for the Fusion. Did anyone else back the keyboard? What options did you choose?

I went with Original (white+orange) and MX Blues. The NES-like color scheme is pretty cool but it wouldn't really fit with my office colors.

I went with the NES color and the silent black keys. I try to keep my typing as quiet as possible for my co-workers and wife at home. I used to have cherry blues when I lived alone but when my wife and I got a place together it had to go or else I was going to get stabbed. Luckily she’s still cool with mechanical keyboards (she likes my Akko 3084 with the blue and white keycaps, cherry reds) and the Fusion is an early birthday gift for myself.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

CRAYON posted:

I went with steam color and cherry blacks.
I really like the orange too though. It was a tough choice. I hope the switches are the same blacks they used on the K310 of old. Those were actually good. I might still lube and film them all though. Definitely swapping the springs to something a little heavier.

e: also this is a thing and I am so hyped for GB
https://sites.google.com/view/saturn60/saturn-60?authuser=0

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Sep 3, 2020

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I went with the steam (NES) colors and cherry blues. It's probably gonna end up as part of an emulation station with the 8bitdo NES color scheme mouse at some point.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07ZH874DQ/

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

As someone who has managed to buy exactly one (1) mechanical keyboard and is pretty drat happy with it, what does filming switches do?

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

taiyoko posted:

As someone who has managed to buy exactly one (1) mechanical keyboard and is pretty drat happy with it, what does filming switches do?

Sound dampening and makes the key a bit mushy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

taiyoko posted:

1. Originally? They were to help fix the plastic housing of old switches that can become loose over time by helping to fill in the gaps.
2. Now? They help make a switch have a deeper sound through sound dampening. Which is pretty much what all that crazy extra stuff you see people doing to keyboards is for, gotta achieve that thock thock thock.