Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Has anyone watched High Score on Netflix yet? Is it worth a look if you are interested in old james stuff?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Score_(TV_series)

Also related;

http://blog.archive.org/2020/08/28/the-legend-of-gayblade/

Arrchive.org is a treasure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weedle
May 31, 2006

"high score" is also the title of a video game history book published in 2001. i liked video games at the time but had no real idea of the treasures retro gaming offered, and it ended up being a very important and formative book for teenaged weedle. when i heard that netflix was doing a video game history series called "high score" i thought at first it might be related in some way to this book, but after scouring the promotional materials for any mention of the book or its author and finally asking him directly on twitter if they had like, acknowledged his book's existence at all (they did not) it seems that they either "happened" to settle on the exact same title or more likely just didn't give a poo poo because what is some washed up games journalist going to do about it

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I watched the first episode of high score, it’s ok but so far not much most of us old folks wouldn’t have already heard growing up

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

qirex posted:

I watched the first episode of high score, it’s ok but so far not much most of us old folks wouldn’t have already heard growing up
yeah this is exactly my experience

plus i read that it gets weird as you go along and it explains things like dial-up internet which is the point where you realize you are old

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
high score is only good because they interview all the "important" people

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
you get a good look at lord british's astoundingly long rat tail

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Has anyone watched High Score on Netflix yet? Is it worth a look if you are interested in old james stuff?

from what I've heard it's completely US-centric and full of the usual lazy revisionist bullshit you've heard 100 times before - 1983 crash, nintendo single-handedly saving video games, and virtually nothing outside the 2600/NES/SNES/PC gets more than a passing mention. some of the interviews might be interesting, but as a history of video games it doesn't seem as if it covers any new ground.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

i’m really enjoying deep rock galactic as a chill 4 person coop game. you play dwarven space miners and you mine stuff in procedurally generated mines in between waves of critters.

very satisfying

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
its very fun with friends, also you can get drunk before work just like in real life

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
lol if you don’t nom some khat behind the jimmie johns on your way in to the office

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Kuvo posted:

its very fun with friends, also you can get drunk before work just like in real life

If I had friends I wouldn't be playing video games.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Weedle posted:

"high score" is also the title of a video game history book published in 2001. i liked video games at the time but had no real idea of the treasures retro gaming offered, and it ended up being a very important and formative book for teenaged weedle. when i heard that netflix was doing a video game history series called "high score" i thought at first it might be related in some way to this book, but after scouring the promotional materials for any mention of the book or its author and finally asking him directly on twitter if they had like, acknowledged his book's existence at all (they did not) it seems that they either "happened" to settle on the exact same title or more likely just didn't give a poo poo because what is some washed up games journalist going to do about it

tbf high score seems like a pretty obvious title

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

who care

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
score high, so what

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
new nvidia cards are coming. 3090 is like xbox huge

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

President Beep posted:

score high, so what

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

i haven’t touched real video games in like fifteen years and covid forced me into building a desktop.

there’s a lot of cool poo poo going on. i don’t know why apex’s middle click smart tagging isn’t in every shooter now. i started off playing starcraft 2 and csgo on a 2011 imac last year and now that i’m exploring modern games i’m kind of generally impressed.

i am not a huge fan of all this lootbox and freemium poo poo. or how everything is in early access/beta forever. that being said it’s really cool how easy it is to play with just people i know and not deal with the general public

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

the downside is that private servers are a thing of the past as well. so yeah you can queue up with your regular squad but the days of having a regular deathmatch server where you know pretty much everyone on both teams are gone

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Shaggar posted:

new nvidia cards are coming. 3090 is like xbox huge

they should have named it the triple deluxe

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

Agile Vector posted:

they should have named it the triple deluxe

Do you know what they call a 3090 in France?

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
i've been watching High Score and it's more a collection of game-related anecdotes than a real history of the medium. if you're okay with that then it's fine. it does cover lesser known subjects like Jerry Lawson and the aforementioned GayBlade.

next i'm watching the episode on the console wars, which has to be better than the book Console Wars at least.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

President Beep posted:

score high, so what

buy low score high

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Just remembered I hadn't finished disco Elysium yet and one scene in and I'm hooked again (the one where you tell the working class women her husband died.) just incredible writing.

It runs like poo poo for what is basically a point and click text adventure thing though

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

I love disco elysium but one of the most memorable comedy bits is the framerate on the main menu

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
it is the time where i try to get into crusader kings again

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Bored Online posted:

it is the time where i try to get into crusader kings again
ck3 actually looks like playable out of the box!

still gotta finish my ck2 campaign of turning all of spain and southern france into a grand basque empire

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

i like making europe muslim. gonna wait for people to actually play ck3 before i jump in.

i might actually preorder both vampire and cyberpunk which is wicked surprising to me because the last preorder i did was deus ex human revolution which was worth it.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Casual Encountess posted:

i might actually preorder both vampire and cyberpunk which is wicked surprising to me because the last preorder i did was deus ex human revolution which was worth it.
please never preorder video games. worse than buying on launch. just don’t

RustyKnight
Jul 11, 2016

every day is a new horror

what's some good grand scale rts games with more focus on macro than micro management? Old games are also welcome

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

RustyKnight posted:

what's some good grand scale rts games with more focus on macro than micro management? Old games are also welcome

the total war series?

RustyKnight
Jul 11, 2016

every day is a new horror

Casual Encountess posted:

I got bad news, quoting pyf:

Zereth posted:

They just fired the head writer or the original game like four months before the release date, signs are not good.

Regarde Aduck posted:

And it's being treated as a big mystery why he was fired. He claims he has no idea. Paradox is saying nothing. No one else has said anything about it.

And they replaced him with a guy who worked on far cry which is not most fans first choice of replacement. Seems like a weird and uncharacteristic case of mismanagement from Paradox.

mysterious frankie posted:

Oh it’s so much worse than this. They fired the creative director and the og writer, and then they didn’t bring in a new creative director; they hired a consulting firm that was started by an old Ubisoft guy. They hired the project of an ex Ubisoft employee to tell them how to do... lord knows what.

Worse than this too. Paradox has made games, plural. Hardsuit Labs, the company they’re having develop Vampire, has one other game under its belt; the 2012 free to play Blacklight: Retribution. It’s an fps, but it’s also Blacklight: Retribution.

Even so, I’m excited. What I’m lacking in common sense I make up for with my possession of $60.

never preorder games

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

i see the vampire curse lives on

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

i’m generally thrilled with my setup but there’s a couple games that will be undeniably better on a controller. for maximum not giving a poo poo the move is a wired 360 controller right?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yes, probably. The Xbox one controller is not that much more expensive though and it's better (it has a real d-pad)

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

i have a wired 360 and it suits my needs just fine. i'm a filthy casual though.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

the one controller feels like a nice evolution, but as someone that doesnt often use controllers i wouldnt mind using either one

comedy option a steam controller for $10 including shipping so you can use it as a stand for a better controller

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

I personally think the wireless xbox one is better for not giving a poo poo. you can buy it in a package with a little usb dongle and not worry you're going to hang yourself while flailing around in nerd rage

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Uptime Sinclair posted:

please never preorder video games. worse than buying on launch. just don’t
This.

its not 2001 anymore and digital storesfront don’t run out of copies

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

jesus WEP posted:

This.

um actually i'm pretty sure 1990 was only ten years ago op.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

jesus WEP posted:

This.

even back then it was just the small gamestop/eb stores who pulled that "oh, no preorder? too bad, it's sold out everywhere". every time that happened i just went across the street to the big store and they had a small mountain of whatever came out that day